What game is this? [Hard Mode]

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Blinge

What game is this? [Hard Mode]

Post by Blinge »

So the lady has been telling me about some PC game she used to play as a kid, her memory is hazy at best.

I have no idea what this game is and there's not much to go on.

She drew a helpful picture..
Spoiler
It would've been on windows 95 PCs.. probably worked in DOS too? I assume platformer.
The notes she provided are:
"Birds.
Blocks.
Picture not supposed to be slanted.
Quite Blue."

Lode runner is out, as is Commander Keen, though I'm not 100% on that.

I'll be really surprised if we figure out what the hell this is..
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Shoryukev

Re: What game is this? [Hard Mode]

Post by Shoryukev »

Hmm....trying to scan my brain to come up with something. My wife does the same thing and tries to pick my brain for what some game is from her childhood that she can't quite remember :lol:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Jill of the Jungle? It has birds, blocks, and some areas have a blue background.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Shmupsfarm delivers! I knew someone would get it, just not that fast! This is like when Mischief Maker figured out I'd been searching (on/off) for Realms of Akania for years. You guize are awesome.

Well done that man.

Bonus round: Another old PC game, a 2D puzzler in which your characters are in fact letters? like a capital Y I think?
one blue and one pink.
Some of the death animations were brutal, there was an option to turn them off.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

My cousin keeps reminiscing about a "Pac-Man clone", almost certainly for a computer (but I'm not even guessing whether it was from nineteen-eighties or nineties) where the music was either
a) In the Hall of the Mountain King by Edvard Grieg
or
b) some Andreas Vollenweider tune once played a lot on the radio (at least in Europe).
I presume said music was in "computer music" form, no idea how technically sophisticated (was it PC speaker or something fancier).

I for one would like to find a game I played on some office computer in the summer of 1997 (DOS or Win95 tops, then). It was about a mouse chased on a single screen by some hostile NPCs (cats?), leaving trap items behind it against those enemies. I don't think it was quite a "Bomberman clone", but roughly the same genre. Background was mostly pitch-black (but maybe one backdrop layer was disabled for the sake of running faster on that computer). By the size of sprites and colour palette (quite large & colourful), in hindsight I suppose it was made in times when PCs could already challenge Amiga in that respect. I'd found it extremely playable at the time.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:My cousin keeps reminiscing about a "Pac-Man clone", almost certainly for a computer (but I'm not even guessing whether it was from nineteen-eighties or nineties) where the music was either
a) In the Hall of the Mountain King by Edvard Grieg
or
b) some Andreas Vollenweider tune once played a lot on the radio (at least in Europe).
I presume said music was in "computer music" form, no idea how technically sophisticated (was it PC speaker or something fancier).

I for one would like to find a game I played on some office computer in the summer of 1997 (DOS or Win95 tops, then). It was about a mouse chased on a single screen by some hostile NPCs (cats?), leaving trap items behind it against those enemies. I don't think it was quite a "Bomberman clone", but roughly the same genre. Background was mostly pitch-black (but maybe one backdrop layer was disabled for the sake of running faster on that computer). By the size of sprites and colour palette (quite large & colourful), in hindsight I suppose it was made in times when PCs could already challenge Amiga in that respect. I'd found it extremely playable at the time.
I'm guessing the top game is 3-Demon, which has a PC speaker tune at start, or PC-Man which has a PC rendition of Entry of the Gladiators. The bottom game sounds like Rodent's Revenge, a pre-95 Windows game Microsoft used to have on their website for free (and was also in one of their entertainment packs).
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Blinge wrote:This is like when Mischief Maker figured out I'd been searching (on/off) for Realms of Akania for years. You guize are awesome.
I did?
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Shoryukev

Post by Shoryukev »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:I for one would like to find a game I played on some office computer in the summer of 1997 (DOS or Win95 tops, then). It was about a mouse chased on a single screen by some hostile NPCs (cats?), leaving trap items behind it against those enemies. I don't think it was quite a "Bomberman clone", but roughly the same genre. Background was mostly pitch-black (but maybe one backdrop layer was disabled for the sake of running faster on that computer). By the size of sprites and colour palette (quite large & colourful), in hindsight I suppose it was made in times when PCs could already challenge Amiga in that respect. I'd found it extremely playable at the time.
I believe the game you're thinking of here is Rodent's Revenge
Spoiler
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Mischief Maker wrote:
Blinge wrote:This is like when Mischief Maker figured out I'd been searching (on/off) for Realms of Akania for years. You guize are awesome.
I did?
oh shit maybe it was Edmond dantes or Oscuro..

Edit: It was Dantes! sorry man.
I misremembered it as chief maker cause he's pigeonholed as "the cRPG guy" to me..

Bonus Round 2: I'm now trying to remember stuff I had on an old shareware disc. One ancient PC game just involved looking for books in a library. I think it was first person.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

Spin off Bonus Round 1: I'm looking for an amiga game that was multi-genre, specifically it had platformer sections, sidescrolling vehicle sections (I think it was a buggy?) and the boss fights were a 1vs1 fighting game.
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Bonus round: Another old PC game, a 2D puzzler in which your characters are in fact letters? like a capital Y I think?
one blue and one pink.
Some of the death animations were brutal, there was an option to turn them off.
Any guesses on mine or Kaiser's games?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Blinge wrote:Bonus round: Another old PC game, a 2D puzzler in which your characters are in fact letters? like a capital Y I think? one blue and one pink. Some of the death animations were brutal, there was an option to turn them off.
Was it top-down? Platformer? A few puzzle games with death animations:

Bolo Adventures - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQ6dWRNqzhI
Rescue Rover - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6ezlEf1SH4
Chip's Challenge - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c7Bh9MG7VY
Bonus Round 2: I'm now trying to remember stuff I had on an old shareware disc. One ancient PC game just involved looking for books in a library. I think it was first person.
Can't think of anything fitting that description. Anything at all about colours/characters you remember? EGA/CGA? Ascii art? Is it an educational/puzzle game like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ahZi-MuLNI or rpg like this: http://www.dungeoncrawlers.org/game/dont-go-alone/
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Blinge wrote:Bonus round: Another old PC game, a 2D puzzler in which your characters are in fact letters? like a capital Y I think? one blue and one pink. Some of the death animations were brutal, there was an option to turn them off.

Hey Roo, nah it's none of those. The view is side-on; I seem to remember it being fixed screen aswell, no scrolling.
When I say brutal I mean one of the characters who... looked like an A? not sure..
Anyway it unzips itself to let its viscera spill over the floor before collapsing.

Umm.. the library game was first person view, may not have been an actual game. No characters as far as I recall.
I dunno what 'EGA/CGA? Ascii art?' is...
jugemscloud

Post by jugemscloud »

theres a game that ive never been able to find but have a pretty good memory of the demo I played of it bitd -

early 3d polygon item based puzzle game (think sierra or lucasarts point and clicks but first person) circa 95-97, on dos or 95 (maybe at a push 98), running on something similar to the build engine (duke 3d etc) but from my memory was fully polygonal, the main puzzle in the demo was that you were stuck in a generic apartment room where the tv kept on switching off when it did so a guard on the other side of the main door would shout for you to turn on the tv so they knew you were still there the solution was to use one of those nodding drinking bird office toys with the tv remote too keep it on then climb out the window, also you could open the couch/sofa and it would disappear or break.

have looked for this for ages but keep getting those escape the room flash games (a few of which have the same puzzle and solution) and always wanted to see what the rest of the game was
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

^- I did a quick Google search for "adventure game solution 'nodding bird' " and the third result brought a match that seems to fit: Normality. It's available on GOG too.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
jugemscloud

Post by jugemscloud »

yeah that's it :D *facepalm* cheers ghegs

completely forgot about the crazy sam and max style interface thing
antron

Post by antron »

I haven't found a c64 game I played. Top down dungeon crawler, black background, light colored barriers. Spells were at the bottom, cast with a keystroke. Some maps had areas that could only be reached by teleporting. Not sword of fargoal, telengard, or wizardry: .
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Sounds a bit like Gateway to Apshai: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ch3GsWBSTKI
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Blinge wrote:
BareKnuckleRoo wrote:

Hey Roo, nah it's none of those. The view is side-on; I seem to remember it being fixed screen aswell, no scrolling.
When I say brutal I mean one of the characters who... looked like an A? not sure..
Anyway it unzips itself to let its viscera spill over the floor before collapsing.
Boppin? It was originally a DOS game published by Apogee, but the developers of the game made a Windows version available for free.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

BrianC you are THE legend.

may a thousand vaginas find their way to your peen

..my description was a bit off wasn't it.
jugemscloud

Post by jugemscloud »

The description of letters for characters rang a bell from somewhere but kept thinking of edutainment software rather than boppin though knew it wasn't that what I was half remembering was the accursed farms (freeman's mind) reviewed of it - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YPygM9cBGY0
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Ok guys this one has been bugging me for years:

Played this a few times in the arcade as a kid. I think it was developed/published by Jaleco but internet searches have yielded nothing.

It was a medieval platformer similar to Wizards and Warriors and Cadash. There was a shop system (I think), and I remember being able to shoot from your sword as well as stab shit.

I think the first boss was a snail thing.
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

Astyanax? solid as hell game, pretty much an arcade Legendary Axe.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Nope neither of those. :(
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Magic Sword?
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

antron

Post by antron »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Sounds a bit like Gateway to Apshai: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ch3GsWBSTKI
Thanks, but that's not it.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD.

I have been trying to figure this out for years. How did you find it?
Vludi

Post by Vludi »

Stevens wrote:
YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD.

I have been trying to figure this out for years. How did you find it?
Saw a list of Jaleco arcades and watched a video of the suspicious games :P, didn't know it.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I went back to their wiki page and saw it there, must have missed it.