Looking forward to "NX"? (aka The Switch Thread)

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
ZellSF

Re: Looking forward to "NX"?

Post by ZellSF »

Blaster Master Zero has been updated, supposedly it fixes the scaling issues which would make the Switch version finally the definitive version of the game it should be.
ryu

Post by ryu »

That's nice. The game was still very playable despite that issue.

FAST RMX got a free update with 6 new stages a few weeks back. Was there any news on this? It completely slipped past me and I only learned of it when I checked the devs' twitter.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

ArcadeShock.com has a special one-day deal for the Hori Real Arcade Pro V Hayabusa Arcade Stick for the Nintendo Switch/PC platforms (considering that it's AS' Anniversary Sale this week from October 27th through the 30th, 2017). The regular MSRP of the Hori RAP Switch stick is $149.99 USD but for just one day only today (10-27-2017), you can snag it at a mere $114.99 USD! This special "lowball" offer is cheaper than if you were to buy it elsewhere like on ebay or even amazon.com: https://arcadeshock.com/collections/fro ... ndo-switch

If you use the 20% off coupon code "Anniversary2017", it'll be applied to your order at checkout (certain restrictions apply, of course). I bought one at this attractive pricepoint today. Can't wait to try it out on my Switch setup.

Protip: You'll need a USB 3.1 Type C Male to Female USB 3.0 adapter cord if you want to use a Hori RAP V arcade stick with your Switch that's mounted on a Switch console holder base device: https://www.amazon.com/USB-C-OTG-Host-D ... xt?ie=UTF8 Otherwise, the Hori RAP V stick itself will just hook up to the Switch docking base via a wired USB 3.0 interface at best (doesn't include any extra external adapter cords whatsoever).

This particular Hori RAP stick has a factory-installed square gate from the get-go and is perfect for use with 'em Switch based shmups any ol' day. You can swap out the stock Hori Hayabusa joystick for a Sanwa Densetsu or a Seimitsu one if so desired -- whatever feels most comfortable for your serious arcade stick needs for a serious Switch shmup session.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/nintend ... ndo-switch
Nice trolling there, Reggie. Learning from the big liars in Japan, I see. :lol:
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
PC Engine Fan X!

So that means with a proper Wii U Gamecube adapter setup, one can use a wireless GCN Wavebird setup (complete with Rumble support) on the Switch then? Color me impressed by Nintendo for allowing it's end users the opportunity to do so if they wish. Sure opens up plenty of doors in terms of choosing what game controller to work with the Swtich console then if the current Switch firmware is at 4.1 as of right now.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Last edited by PC Engine Fan X! on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:So that means with a proper Wii U Gamecube adapter setup, one can use a wireless GCN Wavebird setup (complete with Rumble support) on the Switch then? Sure opens up plenty of doors in terms of choosing what game controller to work with the Swtich console then if the current Switch firmware is at 4.1 as of right now.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Not sure if the Wavebird works, only trying I guess.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Mario Odyssey seems to be selling pretty well. Nintendo is going to make a killing this holiday season for sure.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/31/ ... -in-3-days
http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/11/02/ ... and-europe
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Yeah, they're doing great. As much as I hate to support their hardware model, this thing is pretty much going to be must-buy by the time they release the "New" version.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

bigbadboaz wrote:Yeah, they're doing great. As much as I hate to support their hardware model, this thing is pretty much going to be must-buy by the time they release the "New" version.
Going from a Tegra X1 to Tegra X2 could be a pretty good increase in battery life and performance.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

http://www.siliconera.com/postgallery/?p_gal=665570|1

Nintendo Switch Gameplay Trends for Japan, the US and Europe
  • Little less than 20% of user accounts use the Switch in TV mode (80% of the time or more)
  • Little more than 30% of user accounts use the Switch in Tabletop or Handheld mode (80% of the time or more)
  • The rest simply don’t have a mode preference that reaches or exceeds 80%.
bigbadboaz wrote:By the time they release the "New" version.
One possible scenario could be that the "New Switch" pushes the price up while a cheaper to produce (somewhat gimped) and more portable "Mini" slides into the current price slot. The DSi and "New 3DS" already exist as precedents to introducing more performant hardware for a platform while giving developers the option to use it. In the case of the Switch TV mode could benefit most from such a boost. Though a "Mini" could happen any time Nintendo feels that it's time to wrap up the 3DS line (regardless of what they are saying at this moment in time - but right now the launch model Switch is keeping production plenty busy).

Not saying it will happen - but it certainly could happen.
gbaplayer

Post by gbaplayer »

Do you think Bamco will announce the Xenosaga HD Collection in December 15th? That would be the greatest announcement ever!
My PCB Collection (2): Cyvern, R-Type Leo
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

So Bayonetta 1 and 2 are going to be ported, AND we're getting Bayonetta 3?

God dammit, Nintendo always pulls some trick, to get me to pick up their stupid systems.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Is the trick making games that are actually fun to play? :lol:
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Udderdude wrote:Is the trick making games that are actually fun to play? :lol:
No, it's more of a trick of getting one or two games that I MUST get. I'm not a gigantic fan of Nintendo's I.P.s anymore, so their systems don't really pull me in like they used to. But with GC you got the RE stuff, and with the Wii you got...umm...Sin and Punishment 2. Wii U had Bayonetta 2 and Wonderful 101, obviously.
Do they plan on making a proper Fire Emblem for Switch? Pikmin 4? I would expect for all their handheld teams to start working for the system.

Any word on ports? I have not been keeping up.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Yeah there's a proper Fire Emblem in the works for Switch. I'd expect the bigger handheld titles to move over the Switch now, with the cheaper 2/3DS getting the odd remake (Fire Emblem Echoes, Samus Returns) or cut-down port (Fire Emblem Warriors) just to get some value out of what is a large, low-cost install base.

Bayonetta 1 sits alongside Resident Evil Revelations in that strange download-only category. Strikes me as bizarre that a console with such tiny onboard storage would push digital for these kinds of titles, are game card manufacturing costs really so high that they see less risk in passing the costs to the customer via SD cards? On top of that you have the high price of the pro controller and extra joycons. I guess they can get away with it thanks to the killer exclusives and portability factor of current gen titles (albeit just Doom and Wolfenstein right now).
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

why does link have a motorbike now? i don't get it.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:are game card manufacturing costs really so high that they see less risk in passing the costs to the customer via SD cards?
There's always some risk in overprinting and taking up floor space. And yeah, gas isn't that cheap.

For small publishers they need to move around 100,000 units. Bigger ones want closer to ~500,000 before they feel like it's worth their time. Leaving money on the table might seem dumb to us desperate plebs, but to them it's a matter of having limited marketplace bandwidth and whether that money machine will print more money if it were spent on something else.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Immryr wrote:why does link have a motorbike now? i don't get it.

Expect flamethrower DLC next (rated E10+)!
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I'm pretty sure they wanted to add something like that ever since it appeared in Mario Kart 8's DLC ..
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Any rumors of DKC: Tropical Freeze coming to the console?
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

BulletMagnet wrote:
Expect flamethrower DLC next (rated E10+)!
I mean, there was already a laser-chainsaw-sword
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Steamworld Heist is coming to Switch. If I didn't have a Vita that would partially sell me on a Switch.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Got mine over the weekend and loving it. Mario is just so stupidly inventive it's untrue, I don't think I've ever smiled as much playing a game. I like the way that, so far at least, the moons are split between either quick fire challenges, or hidden within the larger map. Means no session is ever a waste of time, as even half an hour usually manages to uncover some new thing. The motion controls work in a way that never quite felt right with the Wii, the pick up and play nature of the console is a massive bonus, and I'm absolutely loving it. Oh, and Waku Waku 7.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

evil_ash_xero wrote:Any rumors of DKC: Tropical Freeze coming to the console?
None that I've heard, but personally I wouldn't rule out anything potentially considered "noteworthy" in the Wii U library; there's no way Nintendo wouldn't take any reasonably low-effort chance at a better return on investment of their last-gen library, heaven knows plenty of Switch owners won't hesitate to nab reissues or remasters of them.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

If they did DKC and Yoshi's Woolly, there would be absolutely nothing left I'd need the Wii U for.

There's talk of a new Yoshi game instead, which I guess would be just fine on its own.
PC Engine Fan X!

Both pinball titles of Stern Pinall & Zen's Pinball FX 3 made their official debut on the Switch platform (via the USA region Nintendo Switch eShop site) -- Stern Pinball lets you play a single pin of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein for free (forcing the user to pony up a mere $40.00 USD to d/l the rest of the entire Stern pinball collection just to be able to play 'em properly) while Pinball FX 3 allows you to play three generic pins for free (allowing the user to pay for the rest of the Zen pins and licensed pins if so desired). Both Switch pin sims allow the use of HD rumble functionality during gameplay. It's about damn time that pinball appeared on the Switch, wasn't sure if that particular genre was ever gonna appear/surface on it.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

There was a Nintendo Direct two days ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_u7g5BlfiY
And now a lot of people are complaining about the Switch having lots of ports. More similarities to the Vita...
evil_ash_xero wrote:Any rumors of DKC: Tropical Freeze coming to the console?
It's been announced now.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

ZellSF wrote:And now a lot of people are complaining about the Switch having lots of ports. More similarities to the Vita...
I'm ok with the Wii U ports as the system was pretty much a flop, but it still had some great games. I'd rather see those games get a second chance at life. As for ports of current and last gen games, at least they're portable this time around. Except for the straight-from-Vita exclusive ports, I guess. I still only own Odyssey and Fire Emblem Warriors myself. Hoping that by the end of the Switch's lifespan, I have 10-12 exclusives on the system I really like. Seems to be about the right number these days.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Yeah I'd be happy to see more WiiU ports (Mario, Xenoblade X), saves picking up that console for just a couple of titles. The 2017 lineup has been a strong start, hopefully the first half of next year has more than just the ports and DLC announced in that direct. It's not got me rushing out to get one, at least not 'til my backlog's cleared.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm glad Tropical Freeze is coming to the system, but I'm disappointed that Funky Kong is an "easy mode" character.