Looking forward to "NX"? (aka The Switch Thread)

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
mamboFoxtrot

Re: Looking forward to "NX"?

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

Mario Tennis game with boss fights? :o As much as I like the N64 game, I never played any of the other ones. I wonder if the new one will be any fun.
New Kirby game looks cute. Nice to see them advance on Crystal Shard's power-combo idea.

ps: Since this has become the general Switch thread, I wonder if Obi is ever going to update the thread title.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Nooo, changing a thread title would only confuse people and sow chaos. It's a monstrous thing to do.

If the NX gets a Mario Golf title and all the olde timey style games only the DS got... a couple more ports like GTA... it'd be one robust as hell library for a console, they'd have going on.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

BryanM wrote:Nooo, changing a thread title would only confuse people and sow chaos. It's a monstrous thing to do.
*thunderclap* Muwa ha haaaa!

Anyways, yeah, with Tropical Freeze and Hyrule Warriors on the way to the Switch there really aren't many reasons left to bother holding on to the Wii U...of course, it was fated to happen, since I just broke down and bought one a few months ago. The sacrifices I make for the rest of gamer-dom. :P
DoomsDave

Re: Looking forward to "NX"? (aka The Switch Thread)

Post by DoomsDave »

Hyrule Warriors on the Switch is great because it combines the gameplay from the original and Legends but doesn't look like a piece of shit like it does on 3DS. All the DLC is great too because that adds up if you want to buy everything on the previous versions. I've got no problem paying full price for it. DKCTF is a harder sell for me because Funky Kong is just easy mode but if you never played it then it's a must buy in my opinion.

I went all in on the Wii U and pretty much bought every exclusive and I have no problem with all these ports. The games are great and hardly anyone played them. I want to see them go a step further and do some Wii remasters like Metroid Prime and SMG 1 and 2 HD collections.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3Bd3HUMkyU
Not sure what to make of this.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Zen wrote:Image
$70 pliz.

And no scalping this time. After all, this isn't a breakfast cereal or anything!
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

What's the big deal? I see cardboard selling for way more around here .. :lol:

Kidding aside, I don't know how long this stuff will last in the hands of kids who will probably mash the poor things into misshapen lumps of cardboard within minutes ..

Edit: It's already taken 2nd place on Amazon top sellers as of this post .. https://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-vid ... videogames

Nintendo cardboard > Cave cardboard confirmed? :shock:
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Clickbait non-story that's naturally appearing all over the gaming sites. It's a year old. Maybe we'll get something for holiday 2019, but there's zero reason to expect something now.

The follow-up implication that their denying it now means IT'S NEVER GONNA HAPPEN is also ridiculous. Of course they will update when the time is right.. this isn't close to that time.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

bigbadboaz wrote:The follow-up implication that their denying it now means IT'S NEVER GONNA HAPPEN is also ridiculous.
That I can agree with, Nintendo has been doing it for years now.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

Thinking about it though, Nintendo don't generally make hardware revisions to their home consoles, unlike their handhelds which see a new model every couple of years. Iirc the wii is the only one out of the last 4 Nintendo consoles to get a hardware revision.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Immryr wrote:Thinking about it though, Nintendo don't generally make hardware revisions to their home consoles, unlike their handhelds which see a new model every couple of years. Iirc the wii is the only one out of the last 4 Nintendo consoles to get a hardware revision.
Sure, but remember the Switch is both a home and portable console.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Immryr wrote:Thinking about it though, Nintendo don't generally make hardware revisions to their home consoles, unlike their handhelds which see a new model every couple of years. Iirc the wii is the only one out of the last 4 Nintendo consoles to get a hardware revision.
That's because their home consoles never were as successful as their handhelds. If the switch does better, chances are there will be a revision.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Clamshell design or GTFO!
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
JBC

Post by JBC »

I picked one of these up last month with BotW and Mario Odyssey. I tried the Blaster Master demo and really loved it as well as a few other titles like Slime-San. I'm really very taken with it, despite having a PS4 Pro and pretty much every other console since the 80's. The lack of power by comparison only becomes an issue when there's a cross platform title that may run better on the big guns. Besides that, it's really very slick & comfortable to use. The thing doesn't make -any- noise.

Cannot wait for Kirby Star Allies, less than two weeks to go!
Godzilla was an inside job
FabulousVioletGuy

Post by FabulousVioletGuy »

The only game that really piqued my interests was Super Bomberman R, but it turned out to not be that big of an improvement over past installations, so I'll just stick to Power/Saturn when I need to satiate my desire of blowing stuff up.
bigbadboaz

Post by bigbadboaz »

Mischief Maker wrote:Clamshell design or GTFO!
Clamshell is SO MUCH BETTER for portables but I really don't see how it happens with this concept.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Seems to be getting a physical release too, a Natsume tweet links to a Gamestop pre-order I can't seem to view because Britain.

Picked up Star Force on the eshop because I bloody loved ot as a kid. 3 modes, but only one offers screen rotation options and in that the aspect ratio seems borked. Unless Star Force arcade wasn't 3:4 ratio? I dunno, either way default yoko and default tate seem to alter the aspect ratio proportions. Really odd.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

soprano1 wrote:http://www.siliconera.com/2018/03/14/wi ... l-17-2018/
I wonder how well it will play.
Probably very well considering how well it plays on PS4 and Steam. I'm not sure if I like it as much as the SNES version. It does many things right and looks extremely nice, but the wider playfield makes enemies a bit harder to track. It also has a few odd changes like shared lives for multiplayer and the removal of vs mode and bonus rounds. That said, it's still an extremely good game.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

BrianC wrote:It also has a few odd changes like shared lives for multiplayer
NOPE. Sorry, that's a dealbreaker. I'll just get a real SNES and a flash cart, or the Wii version.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
FRO

Post by FRO »

8BA wrote:I picked one of these up last month with BotW and Mario Odyssey. I tried the Blaster Master demo and really loved it as well as a few other titles like Slime-San. I'm really very taken with it, despite having a PS4 Pro and pretty much every other console since the 80's. The lack of power by comparison only becomes an issue when there's a cross platform title that may run better on the big guns. Besides that, it's really very slick & comfortable to use. The thing doesn't make -any- noise.

Be careful not to get consumed by BotW. I bought my Switch on launch day last year, and played through the game twice consecutively, and put right around 380 hours into it. I'd like to go through it again this year, on hard mode, with all the DLC, but I still need to crack into Xenoblade 2 and Skyrim :P
JBC

Post by JBC »

FRO wrote:
8BA wrote:I picked one of these up last month with BotW and Mario Odyssey. I tried the Blaster Master demo and really loved it as well as a few other titles like Slime-San. I'm really very taken with it, despite having a PS4 Pro and pretty much every other console since the 80's. The lack of power by comparison only becomes an issue when there's a cross platform title that may run better on the big guns. Besides that, it's really very slick & comfortable to use. The thing doesn't make -any- noise.

Be careful not to get consumed by BotW. I bought my Switch on launch day last year, and played through the game twice consecutively, and put right around 380 hours into it. I'd like to go through it again this year, on hard mode, with all the DLC, but I still need to crack into Xenoblade 2 and Skyrim :P
It had me from the moment I chopped down that first tree and sent it tumbling down the cliffside. It's not like physics haven't been done before but for some reason it just felt new and different in BotW. Not long after I got into a crazy skirmish with some Bokoblins at a riverside camp with explosives and it was all over. I finished it in just under 70 hours and got the full ending but still want to go back when I have the time. Gotta find all those shrines!
Godzilla was an inside job
FRO

Post by FRO »

8BA wrote:
FRO wrote:

It had me from the moment I chopped down that first tree and sent it tumbling down the cliffside. It's not like physics haven't been done before but for some reason it just felt new and different in BotW. Not long after I got into a crazy skirmish with some Bokoblins at a riverside camp with explosives and it was all over. I finished it in just under 70 hours and got the full ending but still want to go back when I have the time. Gotta find all those shrines!
I did all 120 shrines on both play-throughs. I wouldn't want to finish the game w/o doing so. And yes, the physics engine in the game is astoundingly great. One thing I have to give credit to Nintendo for is, they're often late to the game on things, and the open world nature of BotW is no exception, but they often wait until a formula like that has been out for a while and learn from everything else before crafting their own experience, which is usually superior on many levels. BotW has such an interesting world, and other than the enforced boundaries of the outer edge of the world map, the only limitation to reaching most anywhere else on the map is your stamina meter and your creativity. If you can see it off in the distance, chances are, you can go there. And part of what makes that so gloriously fun is the physics engine. I don't care for the extreme knock-back you experience, but aside from that, everything feels like it should. The powers you gain, like Magnesis, feel like they should, and behave in the way you would expect, both for obvious uses, as well as not-so-obvious uses. There are a number of really creative ways to beat most shrines, and to take out enemies. It's just such a rich experience, and one that I almost wish I could go back and do the first time again.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Just bought a Switch and BotW yesterday. Enjoying it so far, but so far I'm finding the weapon durability mechanic to be a real pain. Any decent weapon I find is so short lived it's almost not worth using.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SAKdoV0l9w
Nintendo got Bill Nye to promote cardboard.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi ... t-analysis
Apparently, all Switch models out are hackable. Ouch. No running illegal games yet, but CFW will be a reality this year yet, and then it's arr all the way.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

I had a feeling Nintendo was playing with fire making their hardware based on ARM, which is known for being chock full of exploits. And on top of this, emulators are appearing that can already run some commercial games. As usual, using off-the-shelf components is a bad mix when you're trying to keep things locked down.

https://mynintendonews.com/2018/04/05/t ... ial-games/