Looking forward to "NX"? (aka The Switch Thread)

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BrianC

Re: Looking forward to "NX"? (aka The Switch Thread)

Post by BrianC »

ZellSF wrote:I almost was convinced to buy a Switch recently.

Bethesda released Doom I & II for it (3 too, but who cares. I mean it is good, just not as legendary as the first two) for it. A decent handheld Doom port is something I've been wanting for a long time.

Except it runs at the wrong aspect ratio. And "accidentally" forces you to log in to a Bethesda account to play it. Supposedly the music is slowed down too?

I mean, I guess I should at least praise Bethesda for not violating the GPL by stealing code from source ports, because none of those are this bad.
To be fair, I'm under the impression that a few of the recent console ports of Doom suffer from the same issue with music (and the android port has the same stupid login thing). Doom II on the 360 has similar issues with music and censorship and the Doom 3 BFG edition's version of both games also have the same odd changes. While it is behind many source ports, it's still better than many of the older console ports of the games (not that I would outright recommend the Switch version, especially with that stupid login thing and the fact that Doom is still best played on PC).

Also, it's worth mentioning that Doom 3's port (which is the BFG version) was handled by a different developer and doesn't require login (and many DO care about Doom 3 since many are interested in trying it out or find it underrated).