Castlevania X68000 vs PS1

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Strider77

Castlevania X68000 vs PS1

Post by Strider77 »

Someone told me the PS1 version is easier than the X68000 version even if you are not playing the arranged mode. Is this true?
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Obiwanshinobi

Re: Castlevania X68000 vs PS1

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

There was talk around here about various X68k ROMs out there differing in this regard.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

^^^Yeah I was the one who brought the roms and ps1 differences to everyone's attention~

The x68 roms floating around on the internet all have different damage scaling, and I have a suspicion that some start on the second loop as well...

Most people seem to have accepted the rom which gives enemies +4 damage from stage 3, which is nice, but I think the classic mode of the ps1 version also makes sense in some ways, saving that level of damage for 2 more stages (or something like that, iirc).

I think both are fine choices, but I've been hoping to find someone with the actual x68 hardware on hand to confirm what the one true default settings are for this masterpiece of a game.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

No use for real hardware in this case (I'm afraid); if a game was originally distributed on floppy disks, I doubt authenticity of any single ROM can be proven at this point (still operational floppies may as well carry trained software).
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

The original floppies are factory write proofed. You would have to manually cut a hole in them if you wanted to overwrite. I normally play the game off of CF these days which is a hacked version to bypass the on disk copy-protection. However my original floppies did still work the last time I used them. If the baby goes to sleep early enough, I'll bust them out again.

As far as starting loop, that's easy to tell, as on the stage with the mud-chicks and giant frogs, there is a giant gate to leads to the ice area. For every loop of the game an extra bird is added to the gate, and I doubt anyone would bother to hack that out.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

Ok did a quick test with my original factory floppies which are impossible to over-write. Meaning all save data was 100% fresh. (A User disk is a copy of disk b on a standard un-protected disk)

And when Simon is hit
Stage 1 = -2 HP
Stage 2 = -3 HP
Stage 3 = -4 HP
Stage 4 = -4 HP

And that's all I've got time for right now.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Well, that confirms it. Unless I'm remembering wrong, you do not take 4 hp of damage on stage 3 in Classic mode of the ps1/Chronicles version.

Thanks Deadite!
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.