Future funding of the forum

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
DejahThoris

Re: Future funding of the forum

Post by DejahThoris »

Kilmaattikahn wrote:Top-right corner of every page.
I am amazingly unobservant sometimes...

Small donation made, but at least it's recurring!
Strikers1945guy

Post by Strikers1945guy »

Fee wouldn't be mandatory to use / see the site, just the marketplace. That way all the lurkers with 20 posts over a 5 year period will be forced to donate if they wish to keep on scouring the marketplace.

All other places like shmup chat and strategy sections don't need a fee
Mister Midnight wrote:btw, cant trust them Koreans; remember Pearl Harbor
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

Strikers1945guy wrote:Fee wouldn't be mandatory to use / see the site, just the marketplace. That way all the lurkers with 20 posts over a 5 year period will be forced to donate if they wish to keep on scouring the marketplace.
Equally importantly, the people who only use the site to profit. I like the idea.
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

How much HD space does this forum take up, and what is your average monthly bandwidth?

I have been running a small artforum (somewhat smaller than shmups), for almost a decade and we never paid anywhere near that yearly.
I think migrating to some option where you can setup your own server remotely (like ipxcore for example) would be a good idea, esp if you know (as you will) what kinda bandwidth you will need.
Xonatron

Post by Xonatron »

I agree with all comments about getting cheaper hosting.

A few options at DreamHost:
https://www.dreamhost.com/hosting/shared/ $8/month*
https://www.dreamhost.com/hosting/vps/ $15/month**

*A bit deceptive with pricing as (I think) it's $11/month if you do not pay for a year in advance.
**What xona.com is hosted on.
Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
Score Rush Extended [PS4]: viewtopic.php?t=55520
cfx

Post by cfx »

Strikers1945guy wrote:Fee wouldn't be mandatory to use / see the site, just the marketplace. That way all the lurkers with 20 posts over a 5 year period will be forced to donate if they wish to keep on scouring the marketplace.

I think this is an excellent idea and in line with what is already done here; i.e. you can't view the marketplace unless you are a member and logged in.
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

cfx wrote:

I think this is an excellent idea and in line with what is already done here; i.e. you can't view the marketplace unless you are a member and logged in.
This + funding drive sound like pretty solid ideas. A downgrade is a good option as long as it doesn't effect the forum negatively.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
ryu

Post by ryu »

Might as well charge all those guys with 1 post advertizing their games in the dev section :lol:
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Marketplace tax is a great idea!
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
juji82

Post by juji82 »

What about a fundraise with some products? Whoever lives in Japan might help on this, I can find some stuff to sell on the forum and just get back what I paid of, the extra would go for hosting 8)
Pedro Lambrini

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

I'll preface my tuppence worth by saying that I lost my job last month (and still awaiting dole) so I can't actually contribute just now. I know, I know, another interwebs sob story. :P

Anyway, though I haven't posted much until recently I've often visited just to keep in the shmup loop and the site has become a valuable resource of information for me. Over the years, I've seen the forum grow into quite the community. A lot of forums claim to be a great community but few really are as familial as this one. I really appreciate that. I'm sure others do too.

Now the sucking up paragraph is done, here's what I think. Another great forum I visit is Atariage. I think they've got a great balance between 'just' being a forum and offering something extra. That 'extra' is individual emotional investment. I know people often scoff at "Like" buttons but when used by a mature community I find them to be a great way of showing concurrence or support without the need of spammy posts. It also allows for quieter lurking types to feel more invested in their little part of the internet thus fueling the community vibe. On top of that, AA has a subscriber option with which one can make a donation and get, as already suggested, 'subscriber' badge on their avatar and profile.

I think that adding a 'like' button, a subscriber badge and downgrading the server would be enough to encourage forum growth and monetary income. You'll have cut costs and given people reason to financially support the forum.

Also, an annual raffle might be an idea. It's a fun thing for forum members to take part in while raising funds.

So, that's my tuppence worth.

PS: Regardless of any developments here I will make a donation as soon as my dole comes through. Like I said, I appreciate this wee forum. :)
It's Dangerous! It's Devious! It's...
nasty_wolverine

Post by nasty_wolverine »

ryu wrote:Might as well charge all those guys with 1 post advertizing their games in the dev section :lol:
lol

sign me up for donations or patreon.
Elysian Door - Naraka (my WIP PC STG) in development hell for the moment
Rot

Post by Rot »

Hi lads... (I know... I know... i don't play here very often...)

...The issue you'll find is unless you get members to commit a fee on a monthly basis... you'll need this sorta funding drive every year...

The issues will arise when you get when monthly paying (or even donating) members start feeling they are above the law... that's why a one site... one owner scenario works best...

Hey System11 pal... you ever consider asking Shawn about sharing a server pal? I'm sure he'd consider it...

Now matter what anyone says about Shawn.... he's a good guy... and I wouldn't have stayed so loyal to Ng.com if i didn't think otherwise...

xROTx

PS. However, if that doesn't suit you... there is another option... you find ONE partner and only one to share the fees system11 pal...

EDIT: I'd suggest someone you can get along with... £36 pcm... easy:D
Shadowduel

Post by Shadowduel »

Only 20–25(paying a €5 fee monthly) people are needed to pretty much cover all the expenses.
Let's just organise this.
I need no games without lolis. Nuclear blast wind blowing some skirts off = instant awesomeness.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Any chance of an ignore function being added?
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

Up for some form of $5-$10 a year scheme. :mrgreen:

All talk from a lot of you above!
I just hit the Donate button and put action to my word (actually never noticed this button :roll: )
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
ELabit

Post by ELabit »

You could add a donate link and encourage people selling expensive PCBs to hit the donate link when selling a $1000 PCB that they didn't have to pay ebay fees on
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Just put a counter showing the amount paid in.

One of the reasons I no longer contribute is because I can't see if your funding the site or pocketing money.

Its just a case of transparency for me.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
DejahThoris

Post by DejahThoris »

waiwainl wrote:I just hit the Donate button and put action to my word (actually never noticed this button :roll: )
Now there are two of us. I bet there are more. It's tiny and in an awfully obscure location on a decent-sized monitor.

I also second the idea of transparency. Good old fashioned fund-raising thermometer would be nice to see.
Sir Arthur ahf

Post by Sir Arthur ahf »

system11 wrote: 2) Run a Patreon - would people sign up to this? I don't know if this would count as a second income and be taxed at the highest rate though.
4) Add 'supporter' badges as seen on some other forums.
5) Downgrading significantly to some kind of virtual server option. I'd be interested in input from people currently doing this, at the last place we did that I used to get regular nastygrams about the size of the database.
2.- We are always talking about keeping the games in the community. 1 or $2 monthly fee is not that much, and we all can support that amount. Only those people who support the Patreon will get access to the Trading Station. That way we will avoid lurkers.
4.- Let's see who's in and who's not
5.- Let´s look for a cheaper way to keep the forum alive
system11

Post by system11 »

I have been reading all this by the way and thanks for the input so far. It seems like formalising donations or having some kind of regular option for those who want it, is going to complicate things for me personally as they'd count as taxable income. Which is fucking insane, but the UK is fucking insane.

It seems the most viable option is to hunt around for someone who wants to share on hosting. I priced up an Amazon EC2 instance of a relatively comparable size (well, half...) and the saving was so small it wasn't worth the hit in security and performance.

A guy at work actually does hosting, and we're talking about maybe moving it to his place but I have concerns over reliability there. Also talking to one person about a hosting share.

Just thought I'd let you know, and many thanks to the people who threw some donations in.

Oh, and can you guys please stop fighting? And no - I'm not putting an ignore function in because it's childish and leads to disjointed conversations.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Strikers1945guy

Post by Strikers1945guy »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Just put a counter showing the amount paid in.

One of the reasons I no longer contribute is because I can't see if your funding the site or pocketing money.

After all these years of funding the forum completely on his own, and the way he has helped countless people with their hardware I think it's safe to say he's not pocketing anything. He's a stand up guy.
Mister Midnight wrote:btw, cant trust them Koreans; remember Pearl Harbor
NickPalmerDegica

Post by NickPalmerDegica »

system11 wrote:I have been reading all this by the way and thanks for the input so far. It seems like formalising donations or having some kind of regular option for those who want it, is going to complicate things for me personally as they'd count as taxable income. Which is fucking insane, but the UK is fucking insane.
Can you claim the forums as a business, and then you could count the cost of the forum hosting as a business expense, which counts as a tax deduction. At least, that is how it works in the US. I don't know enough about tax law in the UK, but its probably similar? Maybe? I don't know though. (I know I get to claim a lot of things on my US taxes because of the way my income is setup, such as the cost of my computer, and internet and etc)

Also, I think that my boss sent you an email about this, can you check and see if you have it? If not, please message me. We would like to find a way to help keep you guys alive without anyone being burdened too much.
electricgrave

Post by electricgrave »

I'm down to help , just made a donation. I know I don't frequent the place enough but it has been awesome to me and if I can help I'd be more than happy to.
Running, scrambling, flying
Rolling, turning, diving, going in again
Run, live to fly, fly to live, do or die
Run, live to fly, fly to live. aces high.
kuze

Post by kuze »

What are the specs on the current server?
system11

Post by system11 »

neorichieb1971 wrote:Just put a counter showing the amount paid in.

Fuck you.

Total donations across 2014 & 2015: £256.85 (actually less due to the exchange rate changing, thats in todays money with a low pound)
Total costs from my pocket on hosting across 2014 & 2015: £1728

You need to sit down and think about your general mistrust of other people, this is actually the most insulting thing anyone has ever posted in my general direction on this forum, ever.
system11

Post by system11 »

kuze wrote:What are the specs on the current server?
32gb (mirrored) => 16gb
2x quad 2.26ghz (hyperthreading on) => 16 logical cores
4x 146gb raid 10 => ~300gb storage

It wouldn't materially affect performance to have half of the above.
parodius

Post by parodius »

Not sure if I ever donated.
I just did.

Agree that you probably should try to move the forum to some kind of cloud service.
Very likely to be cheaper to run.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
Pedro Lambrini

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

I know this is probably a bit pie in the sky and more work than you'd probably like but have you thought about merch?

T shirts like the ones pixelcorps made years ago or 1CC make now? If, for arguments sake, it cost £15 print and post a shirt you could sell them at cost (therefore just a 'hobby' still) but ask for a £5 donation rounding the 'price' up to £20. Maybe even posters or whatever the kids are into these days...

We'd get lovely things and you'd get donations.
It's Dangerous! It's Devious! It's...
Rot

Post by Rot »

heh...

System11 man... you or one of your staff went through a LOT of effort... to edit the last few pages...

xROTx

PS. Meh.... your forum... your rules...