Anyone tried HD Advance for their PS2?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
landshark

Anyone tried HD Advance for their PS2?

Post by landshark »

How has it been working for you? Any incompatibility problems both on imports and non-imports?
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

What is an HD Advance?
kong

Post by kong »

I own version 1 of hd advance. Personally I like it but there are several games that are incompatible with it. I think the best compatability site I've seen is:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/casey.mill ... bility.htm

Some of the games that don't work can be made to work with a bit of hex editing, i.e. jak 3 and viewtful joe, but you need to know what you're doing. Other games just won't work at all. When it comes to imports you usually have to just cross your fingers and hope it works if nobody has already tested it. That's what I did when I ordered Chain Dive from play asia. Luckily it worked with hd advance.

The faster in game load times are definitely nice. Overall it's a good product but if you are interested in 100% compatibility rate and you import alot of titles you are better served with a mod chip.
landshark

Post by landshark »

Interesting. Do you know of a compatiblity list for 2.0? I haven't been able to locate one. Based on 1.0's list, I'm not very happy with what I see.
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

I've been using an HDLoader since ~July of last year and love the piss out of it. It's a shame they got shut down, because it's useful as hell. Grand Theft Auto San Andres is a megaton load better with the minimal load times and smoother gameplay, for instance. Gradius V and Psyvarir Complete don't work, which is a bummer, but Dodonpachi Daioujou and ESPGaluda work just fine, which is all that REALLY matters, eh :)

For the games that don't work, I keep my japanese PS2 plugged in. For the games that do work, i install them to the HD via WinHIIP (the only way to install imported games + a hell of a lot faster than installing via the PS2 DVD Rom). There's apparently an FTP program you can install, but it's piss slow and not work the effort.

If I could ever get around to buying another memory card, I'd try figuring out how to load a memory card version of the HDLoader, as there's been some recent hacks that have much higher compatibility rates.

HDAdvance is nothing more than a korean hack of HDLoader that comes with a swap disc, btw.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

landshark wrote:Interesting. Do you know of a compatiblity list for 2.0? I haven't been able to locate one. Based on 1.0's list, I'm not very happy with what I see.
Game compatibility list for v2 is the same as v1. V2 just brings support for drives larger than 120G.
landshark

Post by landshark »

Ahhh, thank you DaveK.
zer0eight

Post by zer0eight »

I just threw an HDadvance together not even knowing that I had virtually all the parts already. I already had the PS2 dialup/broadband adapter (it has the hard drive connection on it). I have a modchip so I downloaded the HDadvance disc(s), and I also had used Maxtor 80gb hard drive available. Put them all together and I currently have a few games playable on it so far, one of which is Do Don Pachi "Daioujoo" (sp?). Have not tested it very much so I cannot comment on how reliable it is yet.

If you do not have a moded PS2, I understand this device works with it.. but how do you rip games into the hard drive from the PS2 unit itself? When I hit convert I can open my drive door and stick in the PS2 disc I want to dump into the HD. For a non-modded user can you also do this as well? Or can it be done with a copy and not an original... that part has me confused... anyone know?

zer0eight
Less than zero, more than infinity.
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

The best way to rip the games is to hook the HD up to your PC, slap the PS2 game in your DVD rom, and then run a program such as WinHIIP to rip the disc image to the PS2 hard drive.

You can rip using the PS2 DVD rom, but it's slow as hell.
kong

Post by kong »

Hd advance let's you install imports via a slide card if you don't have a modded system.

I personally install the hd in my pc as a slave. Then I use hdl_dumb to install the game on the hard drive. Hdl_dumb or hdl_dump can transfer games to the hard drive no matter what region.

Once a game is on the hard drive the region lock is bypassed by hd loader/advance so no mod chip is needed.