Monster Boy And The Cursed Kingdom also shout out to Aggelos

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Shelcoof

Re: Monster Boy And The Cursed Kingdom

Post by Shelcoof »

lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this supposed to be a new entry in the series? Just that they couldn't/can't get the naming rights. Game looks pretty decent in motion as well.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

lilmanjs wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this supposed to be a new entry in the series? Just that they couldn't/can't get the naming rights. Game looks pretty decent in motion as well.
Something like that. I know they brought in some of the original team to help produce the game. I think the original producer and even the musical composer.

Memory is a bit foggy read this a while back but I'm sure you can find the info on their official site.

I'm just happy it went from the original hamster game to actual wonder boy spirtual successor
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Shelcoof wrote: Did you like the previous art design for Wonderboy in Monster World?
I do!

Honestly, it's not like the visuals are incompetently put together here, they're bright and colorful and animate, it just has way too much of that sort of stiff, plasticky phone game look.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

A little late on the E3 news but here's a new trailer

https://youtu.be/_oqeAFs2wc8

Looks like they revamped the animation. Game looking real good :D
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I...don't like it. I would call this over-remastered, or rather deeply mutated into looking, sounding and playing like your average HD platformer from these past 10 years or so. Well the graphics look nice (if it wasn't for the overly withdrawn camera lika all those HD-gen 2D games to privilege a broader terrain view, and some unnecessary ultra-smooth sprites animations) but that's about it. The music remixes sound stupid also.
Definitely I don't like that kind of treatment for retro games.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Xyga wrote:I...don't like it. I would call this over-remastered, or rather deeply mutated into looking, sounding and playing like your average HD platformer from these past 10 years or so. Well the graphics look nice (if it wasn't for the overly withdrawn camera lika all those HD-gen 2D games to privilege a broader terrain view, and some unnecessary ultra-smooth sprites animations) but that's about it. The music remixes sound stupid also.
Definitely I don't like that kind of treatment for retro games.
Did you enjoy any of the originals at all? Monster Land, Dragon's Trap or Monster World?

I dunno so many throw backs to the original in the trailer and more. I loved all of the previous Monster World games. I can't see anyone who is a fan of the old entries not excited for this one.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Yep, absolutely loved them, this is why I find this one too changed. I'm pretty conservative when it comes to remakes or modern sequels of older games, for instance I find Sonic Mania went in the right direction, but it's one of the very few that did.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

I originally wanted another Monster World. Slow pace battle mechanics with simple adventuring. But after seeing the trailer and how they added new mechanics I'm all for it.

The one concern I have was the battle mechanics.

If you remember earlier demos the combat was simple like the original. Now I see combos which was never in the original. I'm hoping it doesn't evolve into something like a beat em up.

Aside from that I'm excited to see how everything is put together.

If you don't like change much at least we got an untouched remastered of Dragon's Trap which was AMAZING!

Now it's time to see where Wonder Boy has evolved with this release.

I'm sort of dreaming of a 3D entry to the series :)
Like Ocarina of Time is to the Legend of Zelda series.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Looks decent, so I'm cautiously optimistic. The attack combos don't really bother me, I'm pretty sure they're just there to make the animations look a little more lively. What bothers me, though, is the on-the-fly shapeshifting. That has the potential of absolutely wrecking the level design.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

The on the fly shape shifting was what impressed me the most. Looks like levels were built around it.

Thought it was very clever idea.

Previous Wonder Boy games had you back tracking after getting new gear or using a different form. This whole shape shifting thing might just be taken from later on in the game.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Not bad. Still not liking the plasticky Flash-like look of the game, but this feels improved and could be good in its own right.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Strange that the people I've heard feedback from either really love the graphics or hate it. The original Monster World game was very colorful and cute like this one but the only difference being that it was the old school dot pixel graphics.

I'm just thankful that the game remains purely 2d and not 2.5d like like most modern platform games like shantae.

I also noticed a huge improvement in animation as well.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

I guess it's because it's hard to break the association of flash with crappy or shovelware games (Eduardo The Samurai Toaster, anyone?). In my case, that's one of the reasons I couldn't fully get into both Rayman Legends and Origins, and even Castle Crashers and Alien Hominid, regardless of how good they were.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Rayman Legends was not only a fantastic platformed but also visually stunning. I loved the fact that it stayed true to just 2D.

Alien Hominid wasn't my cup of tea visually but I enjoyed the game.

Let me ask you did you like any of the New Super Mario Bros games or the modern Kirby games? Seems like platformers are all jumping to the 3D visuals.

It's not just platformers but fighters as well.

So when I see a game that retain the 2D look I get super excited.
That said I'm also looking forward to Guacamelee! 2
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

You have to remember that their only other game is Flying Hamster. This is a big step up for the company, so much so that Sega stepped in to give them a physical release on ps4 and Switch. I like the look a lot better than it did in the early stages. Having original series team members on this is nice too. If Rayman Legends can be very well done, why can't this?
Marc

Post by Marc »

Did anyone play the original Wonderboy HD thing? Still on my pick up list, but I'd just played the original through to where I'd had enough (sixteen levels in - all these years I thought there were only four sets of four for some reason), and it launched at a pretty high price.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Wonder boy HD? This is the first I've heard about it.
I was trying to Google it and nothing came up.

Want to fill me in?

Edit update: are you talking about wonder boy returns? If so no haven't played it
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

He's probably talking about Dragon's Trap.
Shelcoof wrote:Let me ask you did you like any of the New Super Mario Bros games or the modern Kirby games? Seems like platformers are all jumping to the 3D visuals.

It's not just platformers but fighters as well.

So when I see a game that retain the 2D look I get super excited.
That said I'm also looking forward to Guacamelee! 2
Not sure if you asked that question to me, but in case you did, I do like it when 2D Platformers make a good transition to 3D or go for 2.5D. And yes, I know it's hypocritical of me to say that it's all about the gameplay and refuse to touch flash-looking modern 2D games, but many of them just don't click with me. (Guacamelee is okay because the aesthetic sort of fits.)
Marc

Post by Marc »

Yes, Wonder Boy Returns - seems to be a straight make over of the original. Allegedly.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Specineff wrote: Not sure if you asked that question to me, but in case you did, I do like it when 2D Platformers make a good transition to 3D or go for 2.5D. And yes, I know it's hypocritical of me to say that it's all about the gameplay and refuse to touch flash-looking modern 2D games, but many of them just don't click with me. (Guacamelee is okay because the aesthetic sort of fits.)
I did.... just wanted to get a better understanding of what you prefer. In all honestly I'm the same way. If the game doesn't look pleasing to the eye its really hard for me to get into unless the game play is really something. Games are pretty much a lot like women lol.
Marc wrote:Yes, Wonder Boy Returns - seems to be a straight make over of the original. Allegedly.
I love Wonder Boy and all but my love for the series started with Monster Land. I didn't care much for Monsters Lair either. Though this remake seems interesting... its way too cute even for me and I love cute colorful games.
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

They've announced this is out on November 6th!
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

This is out. Anyone played it?

I'm debating on buying it or not.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Playing it here and there

If you love the originals then there is no doubt you would love this one

Got both physical releases

Came with cute stickers lol

Also there is a game called Aggelos for steam and soon to be on switch

Amazing wonder boy type game
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Actually, the only one I really ever got into was Monster World IV. But this looks promising.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

You won't regret picking this up
They don't make plat platformers like this anymore

Don't forget to check out Aggelos
I can't stress that hard enough

It's such an amazing game!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Man I've heard so much good about this game. I gotta admit I didn't have too high expectations, especially with the iffy graphics style, but this sounds like it's what we'd hoped for.

I'm a dinosaur who insists on a physical copy though, which requires importing. Still waiting for my copy. :(
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

I'm glad you had a change of heart

Don't be fooled by the amazing graphics

It's as fun as it looks :D

It's one of those treasured games for me where I'll never open up my sealed copy and I'll happily display it in my collection

And yes I have multiple copies of this game :oops:
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I've been playing this, and have been enjoying it. I'm still stuck as the pig, and he's frustrating to play.
I definitely like it better than Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap, even though that was drop dead gorgeous. It was just too simple. It was OK though.
This is more complex.
The graphics are nice, but there's a few parts where they look a bit too "flash-y". Particularly, Monster Boy's swimming animation.
A little more story than I'd like. But it's not like Iconoclasts or anything.

So far, very promising. I'm hoping it ends up being better than Half Genie Hero. That game was good, but too linear. I don't think it's gonna beat Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, but I'm really early on.

It's weird there's not more coverage on it. Seems like a real labor of love. Even has the anime opening, and you can change the lyrics to Japanese. Seems kind of like something that Working Designs would have published, back in the day.

I'm dying to get out of this pig form though. :lol: He's not very good at the melee. I want a sword, god dammit!
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

The game looks good I think, I'll be getting this one. Usually these games look very much like made in Flash with little to no effort, but from what gameplay I've seen, only a few bits here and there seem "Flash-y" to me (like the bushes moving in the wind for example). The majority of moving elements have several key animation frames drawned, which is good.

granted I have not seen the whole game. but what I've seen looks good
-FM Synth & Black Metal-