shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:34 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7910 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 260, 261, 262, 263, 264

Who is your preferred pokémon?
Joe Biden 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Andrew Yang 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Kamala Harris 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
Elizabeth Warren 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Hollywood Celebrity 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Deval Patrick / Julian Castro / Robert O'Rourke / Cory Booker / Peter Buttigieg 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Donald Trump 33%  33%  [ 19 ]
Tulsi Gabbard 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Bernard Sanders 41%  41%  [ 24 ]
Hillary Clinton / Michael Bloomberg / Mark Zuckerberg / Chelsea Clinton / Kirsten Gillibrand 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 58
 Post subject: Re: 2020 (D) Presidential Primary
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:50 pm 

Is this the epitaph for the Bernie dream?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:23 pm 

Can I get an economist to weigh in on this one?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:40 pm 

Mischief Maker wrote:

It's all they got - the brains of TV serfs.

It's too bad he has to win overwhelmingly in the primary to actually win.

Last edited by BryanM on Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:44 pm 

Puppies are cute.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 6:46 pm 

That unz website called all BLM activists homosexuals in an article about how one of them was murdered and set on fire in his car. Classy stuff.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:22 am 

hey guyz, remember when quash told us Trump loved The Troops, or when austere told us Trump deserved the Nobel Peace Prize for ending the war in Syria

that's it, that's the entire joke

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:59 am 

Rob wrote:
Can I get an economist to weigh in on this one?

I'm not an economist, but I have read some of Krugman's musings beyond this tweet, and his overall gist seems to be not that debt is never a bad thing, but that conservatives' boilerplate complaints about it are almost without exception 1) Situational, i.e. their attitude about Obama's spending vs. Bush's or Trump's, 2) Self-serving, i.e. always used as justification to make the rich richer and/or everyone else poorer, and 3) Fly in the face of Economics 101, i.e. their insistence on austerity during downturns as opposed to booms. Again, I don't personally know enough about economics to comment in depth, though you've certainly heard me jeer enough times at upper-end tax cuts will totally pay for themselves...this time, for realsies! to know I'm skeptical of the reactionary line on such matters, and I'm quite convinced you don't need a degree to justify that much.

As for the "money we owe to ourselves" item from the tweet, a quick Google search turned this up, among many others...as a bonus, feel free to check out the "US Debt to China" subheading on that site as well, and have a good laugh at the "China will demand payment for the debt it holds and crash the economy any day now" mantra and those who continue to repeat it.

I honestly have no idea what that Wiesenthal guy is talking about when he somehow takes "debt doesn't need to be an overriding concern above all others when it's not adversely affecting investment (which it didn't do during Obama's term and still isn't doing during Trump's...particularly funny since Trump openly crows about how his trillion-dollar addition to the debt has been so great for the markets)" and turns that into "so he's actually saying our kids would be better off if we were all unemployed". :?:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:31 am 

Ed Oscuro wrote:
hey guyz, remember when quash told us Trump loved The Troops, or when austere told us Trump deserved the Nobel Peace Prize for ending the war in Syria

As a citizen of Mexico, I'm still wondering how much money I'll be required to send to the U.S. treasury because my country was totally supposed to pay for that big, beautiful wall. And especially since I've been getting welfare, unemployment, student assistance, medicare, VA access, fishing licenses and all other sort of benefits all this time, just by flashing my Illegal Alien Card at every government office I can take advantage of.

Heck, here's the mailing address of the Mexican presidency, so that they can send the invoice already. Get on it already, cabrones:

C/O: Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador, President Of Mexico.
Calle Parque Lira S/N. Bosque de Chapultepec, sector 1.
Mexico City, Mexico. 11850

Four more years of this farce is starting to sound delightful.

Be a chump,
vote for Trump!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:31 am 

Specineff wrote:
As a citizen of Mexico, I'm still wondering how much money I'll be required to send to the U.S. treasury because my country was totally supposed to pay for that big, beautiful wall.

By one accounting Mexico is the wall.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:03 am 

Yeah. Good thing that has made smugglers and tunnels disappear overnight, huh?

Be a chump,
vote for Trump!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:31 pm 

Specineff wrote:
And especially since I've been getting welfare, unemployment, student assistance, medicare, VA access, fishing licenses and all other sort of benefits all this time, just by flashing my Illegal Alien Card at every government office I can take advantage of.

I renounced my citizenship so I could get in on all these sweet welfare programs we give away to illegal humans who are illegal, but when I went to the DHS office the guy on the other side of the speaker said "I'm sorry sir, this is an Arby's."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:10 pm 

Specineff wrote:
every government office I can take advantage of.

Hate to interrupt the hilarious gag about services not being received, as if it is all a phantom concern of the most slack-jawed American rube, but this does seem to be the observable pattern of behavior. Once something to abuse is discovered and word of it has spread, the pellet dispenser gets smashed. Some welfare figures from Cuban immigrant (probably not a Klansman) Jorge Borjas:

In addition to neon-flashing welfare, there is every other costly benefit of living in a functional society. K12 education, for instance, costs over $100,000 in California and $200,000 in New York per student. Who is paying for it? Further, when you look at the results of this expensive education, do you think there will ever be a return on investment?

There are things far more important than these expenses, though.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:39 pm 

ABC News’ ‘slaughter in Syria’ footage is really from a Kentucky gun range

How does something like this happen?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:02 am 

Seriously there's an edit button

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:59 am 

And there's an unemployment office. I'm not going to edit a 4 day old post to talk about something that happened today.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:46 pm 

The fund raiser she's holding tomorrow... the deadline to get on the ballot coming up in a few weeks.... the speculation that She is running again... is a bit scary..

The debates are marginally watchable if you do it through a filter. I'm going to try out Taibbi's show for it tonight. Not as boisterous as some, not as rabidly contemptuous of the media as I am, but, it's something different.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:58 pm 

Majority Report is my go-to.

Dunno about Taibbi, the big thing he's promising is drinking games, and the main reason I can't stand Chapo's commentaries is they (Matt) get too drunk toward the end and it all devolves into incoherent yelling.

The oligarch grabs nine cookies for himself then says to the white dude, "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:01 pm 

Mmmm, but can you say you've watched/participated in a political debate if you're not incoherently yelling by the end of it?

The internet is a magical place. If you yell at the TV by yourself, you're a lunatic. But if you do it with 300 friends, why, you're part of a community.

(I guess that's similar to drinking - if you get drunk in a social setting you're a party animal and that's rad. But if you get drunk alone you're an alcoholic and that's sad.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:02 am 

Thanks for giving two loser candidates more speaking time than Sanders, CNN:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/10/15/us/elections/debate-speaking-time.html

God knows I was on the edge of my seat waiting to hear what these two single-digit losers had to say so much more than the guy who dominated last quarter's fundraising entirely without corporate cash.

The oligarch grabs nine cookies for himself then says to the white dude, "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:29 pm 

How's that impeachment coming? :lol:

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 7910 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 260, 261, 262, 263, 264