Prelude to the Apocalypse

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!

Iran War. When.

6%
2022-2025
28%
2026-2030
13%
2031-2040
6%
2041-2050
No votes
Never
47%

Total votes: 53

quash

Re: 2020 (D) Presidential Primary - Welcome to the Gravelanc

Post by quash »

EmperorIng wrote:
quash wrote:Rock Against Bush view of the world
Speaking of being stuck in 2004... My God, people remember these things? My dad gave one to my older brother as a xmas gift, in the category of "boomer doesn't know what to get his child for a gift." Heaven forbid he ever just get us the GC games we wanted, like Metroid or Fire Emblem... :P
I got Michael Moore's Ferenheit 9/11 as a birthday gift that year. A simpler time, I tell ya.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

quash wrote:Don't know why you're wasting keystrokes, Rob. You're dealing with a liar by omission with a Rock Against Bush view of the world who pretended to not understand an SF-86 and unironically thinks Hillary did nothing wrong.
emphasis added
[T]he report now brings the total number of Trump officials who have used personal communication tools during their time in the administration to eight: DeVos, Jared Kushner, Ivanka Trump, Stephen Miller, Gary Cohn, Steve Bannon, K.T. McFarland and Reince Priebus.

In March, the House Oversight Committee reported that it had evidence Trump's daughter and son-in-law used personal email accounts and messaging applications like WhatsApp to conduct official White House business.
https://www.newsweek.com/betsy-devos-us ... mp-1431800

Since we're on the subject of liars-by-omission and all.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
quash

Post by quash »

Ctrl+F
"classified"
0 results
Rob

Post by Rob »

Saira is a powerhouse with a clear vision of where we need to go as a society. I am thrilled to endorse her candidacy for Congress and I am looking forward to working with her to make big changes in Washington D.C.
Not to blame people too much for who they snuggle up to, but this is still too funny to not share. And it does make a little bit of sense after knowing Yang's political origin story (nightmare of disaffected white ex-truckers shooting up "Asian churches"). "Ending whiteness" always sounds like: how do we say "genocide" in the most euphemistic, but still provocative way possible? lol.

Miss Rao managed over 40,000 votes in Colorado!

Specineff

Post by Specineff »

To be fair, let's please look at this other side of the story, Rob. Rao has been kicked off Twitter for that kind of language:

https://coloradopeakpolitics.com/2019/0 ... te-people/
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
quash

Post by quash »

https://twitter.com/sairasameerarao

Either that article was written by a clueless boomer who doesn't know the difference between being suspended and being banned, or Twitter found a way to bring her back. It'd be great if they did that for Alex Jones, would have loved to see him react to Epstein's "suicide" in real time.
BryanM

Re: 2020 (D) Presidential Primary

Post by BryanM »

Since Liz is actually somebody, she and Tulsi are split in the poll now.

Forbes has started to post about a recession, so maybe the democrats' strategy of being a useless inert rock on the other side of the public's see-saw of hate will work?
My dad gave one to my older brother as a xmas gift, in the category of "boomer doesn't know what to get his child for a gift." Heaven forbid he ever just get us the GC games we wanted, like Metroid or Fire Emblem...
What an absolute monster.

My father, on the other hand, once bought me a Sega Genesis and another time, Parasite Eve. Without me even asking or even wanting them. Without it being Christmas. And he had zero interest in video games.

See what treasure the world has lost?
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

quash wrote:https://twitter.com/sairasameerarao

Either that article was written by a clueless boomer who doesn't know the difference between being suspended and being banned, or Twitter found a way to bring her back. It'd be great if they did that for Alex Jones, would have loved to see him react to Epstein's "suicide" in real time.
Too bad she's not president and perfectly able to get away with being anti-semitic:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... y-n1044621
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

EmperorIng wrote:My dad gave one to my older brother as a xmas gift, in the category of "boomer doesn't know what to get his child for a gift." Heaven forbid he ever just get us the GC games we wanted, like Metroid or Fire Emblem... :P
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WlB-8YXj-A
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
quash

Post by quash »

Specineff wrote:Too bad she's not president and perfectly able to get away with being anti-semitic
Haven't you heard? He's the King of Israel.

https://youtu.be/ErhaWVG0o1I

This is just... hard to digest. Proof positive that The Simpsons only continues to exist as a societal sedative to help ease us into our inevitable demise.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Wow, that is absolutely horrendous.
Specineff wrote:Too bad she's not president and perfectly able to get away with being anti-semitic:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... y-n1044621
It's just his tone-deaf expression of secondhand Zionism, which says more about the people in his ear than it does about him.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

God Zombie Simpsons using actual living leftists as sock puppets for their vile lib beliefs is disgusting. Far worse and more damaging than right winger cartoonists using fictional black girls and ducks as a mask for their face.

The Simpsons used to be written by actual leftists. All humor is derived from honesty. All this modern stuff is gross denialism. Everything to protect one's ego and deny responsibility for the status quo, despite defending it with all their strength all their lives.

Anyway. Remembering the old man:

You all remember that Gravel ran on the libertarian ticket in 2008 after making the dem debates a lot more fun to watch. He came in fourth with 11.25% of the delegates. Mary Ruwart, who came in second with 24.09% and only one delegate behind the winner, had some Internet Drama when it was pointed out in a section of her book that she supported prostitution. Not partially, but universally with no age restriction whatsoever.

Since they literally want to send kids back into coal mines, it makes sense why Dave and friends call Obama a secret Marxist and give him zero points for killing Bin Laden. (Dave gets a hundred million points for whatever his organizations do, however. No double standards here my man.)

His brother Charles calling claims he supported Hillary Clinton "blood libel" is a classic as well. After funding the DLC and literally being responsible for the Clintons taking over the democratic party in the 90's.

The farcical illusion of conflict.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Also they were wonderful family men who knew how to stick by each other:
On three of the brothers attempting to blackmail the eldest, Frederick, when they suspected he was gay

You have to remember this was a very long time ago, when the idea of being gay was considered scandalous in a family, particularly a family of rough, self-made oil men out in Wichita, Kan. It was considered a dark secret that first-born son Frederick might have been gay. At some point, when Frederick was in his 20s, all four of the sons by then had shares in the family company. And what the three other brothers did was they created a kind of kangaroo court ... so that [Frederick] walked into a room, found his three other brothers sitting there in chairs facing him, and they confronted him and conducted an inquisition to see if he was gay. And they then said that if he was, they were going to tell their father unless he handed over his share in the company. ...

It's been rumored about for years in other write-ups about the Kochs, and there have been various descriptions of people denying it, but I actually got a hold of a sealed deposition in which one of the brothers, Bill Koch, describes the whole thing as it unfolded. The brother who they were accusing — Frederick, who was the eldest — stood up, looked at them, said, "I never want to hear about this again," and walked out of the room. It didn't work. But as a ploy, I think it gives you an idea of a family that is not the usual cozy, all-American family.
https://www.npr.org/2016/01/19/46356598 ... tical-rise

Rob

Post by Rob »

Not even this tweet could save her. She tried so hard.

BryanM wrote:All humor is derived from honesty. All this modern stuff is gross denialism.
They still have a little daring left. See Diversity Kittens on Meltingpot Mountain. :lol:

Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Sweet, delicious Schadenfreude:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... a-n1048011

Who wouldn't want four more years of this? Come on, America isn't going to engreaten itself! And those farmers can always go work for the good old corporations like Exxon and Shell if they can't survive on cultivating corn, yee-haw!
quash

Post by quash »

Who cares? We're all dying by 2022, anyways. Time to max out those credit cards and do all the things you always wanted to but never could.

https://youtu.be/roRcksH2_HQ

These guys have the right idea.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Grain alcohol is somewhat similar to the old idea of using hydrogen in cars, except actually semi-viable in the real world. A grift for the corn industry, mainly. Anything to not transition to the overwhelmingly obvious choice of electricity as a storage medium.

I'm still deeply bothered by the celebrity worship culture Al Jean and his ilk are responsible for. Presenting a fictionalized version of Joe Biden as a "strong" man is just... psyduck levels of brain melting. On a material level, Joe Biden has been a loyal servant of the status quo that got us here. As far as personality matters go? He's a man that's had two brain aneurysms, the effects of which have apparently caught up to him in age.

Two Bad Neighbors was a good episode, but it was good despite the fact they inserted a flesh and blood person into the script. On a meta level it just reinforced the notion that this wealthy ass grabber was your zany "friend". (Which is the opposite side of the coin of mindless demonization.)

George W. was beloved by the media because he played along with them. Famously using stuff like "strategery" in speeches and such. They'll all just good friends, palling around. Some points are scored here, some there, but the game keeps on going. No hard feelings.

Giant corn subsidies? E-Z P-Z. Cut a day off the workweek wherever possible to actually cut emissions? Oh hell no. No no no.
system11

Post by system11 »

Specineff wrote:Sweet, delicious Schadenfreude:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... a-n1048011

Who wouldn't want four more years of this? Come on, America isn't going to engreaten itself! And those farmers can always go work for the good old corporations like Exxon and Shell if they can't survive on cultivating corn, yee-haw!
This is actually good news for some car owners (like me), high ethanol content fuel is bad for some engines, ruinous for others. You know what's greener than using an ethanol mixed fuel? Using an old car and not having to replace the engine. Of course, that's not why Trump did it, it's for his buddies in Big Oil.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
quash

Post by quash »

https://thefederalist.com/2019/09/05/cl ... dangerous/
“Human population growth has more than doubled in the past 50 years. The planet cannot sustain this growth,” one CNN audience member told Bernie Sanders, who agreed, promising to back more U.S. funding for abortions in the developing world. Sanders believes women in Asia and Africa should abort their babies to save the world while he shuttles between his main house and one of his two dachas.
Who else is itching to join the US Abortion Corps when Bernie gets elected? We can dress like the guys in Starship Troopers and everything.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Okay. Tell us more stories about how the scary Jewish man wants to eat babies and give women the right to vote and free birth control pills.

I guess it's fair that I have to hear you parrot Meghan McCain and her friends' corporate propaganda if you have to listen to me talk about The Simpsons all the goddamn time. I just wish you'd all like something, anything popular so you could just be honest sometimes. "Nuke Iran", "Outsource Jobs", "Bailout Banks" - if they were popular you would just run on them directly instead of having to curate an alternative reality.

Speaking of how no one can live inside true base reality, and how all of us live inside a personal world simulation: The Onion writer responsible for creating the "Diamond Joe" character has apologized.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

quash wrote:https://thefederalist.com/2019/09/05/cl ... dangerous/
“Human population growth has more than doubled in the past 50 years. The planet cannot sustain this growth,” one CNN audience member told Bernie Sanders, who agreed, promising to back more U.S. funding for abortions in the developing world. Sanders believes women in Asia and Africa should abort their babies to save the world while he shuttles between his main house and one of his two dachas.
Who else is itching to join the US Abortion Corps when Bernie gets elected? We can dress like the guys in Starship Troopers and everything.
quash, you need to work on your critical reading skills if this is the kind of horseshit you're swallowing credulously.

Protip: when the writer quotes the question verbatim but paraphrases the actual answer, that's a sign they're writing deceptively.

Also it's worth noting the federalist guy isn't even quoting the entire question for some reason. Here is the question in full:
Human population growth has more than doubled in the past 50 years. The planet cannot sustain this growthI realize this is a poisonous topic for politicians, but it's crucial to face. Empowering women and educating everyone on the need to curb population growth seems a reasonable campaign to enact. Would you be courageous enough to discuss this issue and make it a key feature of a plan to address climate catastrophe?"
emphasis added

So wow, when she asks a question about curbing population growth by empowering women, he answers with policy talk about empowering women. Not quite as shocking in-context as that federalist guy made it out to be, huh? I wonder why he left that part of the question out?

Here's the actual clip of the full question and answer. Watch it then ask yourself why that guy working for the federalist, a Koch brothers-funded news outlet, presented it to you in such a misleading way.

BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I liked the discussion about Charlie's Hitler burlesque and the influence/reflection on and of popular consciousness from comedians over the centuries.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Okay, take two:

It's worth noting that Hitler was an object of ridicule in his own time. Charlie Chaplin's first talkie movie was entirely devoted to lampooning the man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqyQfjDScjU

quash

Post by quash »

BryanM wrote:I just wish you'd all like something, anything popular so you could just be honest sometimes. "Nuke Iran", "Outsource Jobs", "Bailout Banks" - if they were popular you would just run on them directly instead of having to curate an alternative reality.
If after all these hundreds of posts you think I want to do any of those things, you are the one living in an alternate reality, friend.
Mischief Maker wrote:So wow, when she asks a question about curbing population growth by empowering women, he answers with policy talk about empowering women. Not quite as shocking in-context as that federalist guy made it out to be, huh? I wonder why he left that part of the question out?
You know what's shocking? How "empowering women" became a cornerstone of government policy in the first place.

https://twitter.com/Neoabsolutism/statu ... 62336?s=19

Here's the raw video btw, no Koch brother (one of em croaked recently) boogeyman under this link: https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/ ... 53445?s=19
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

"Yankee Caliphate historian," huh? Sounds legit.
quash wrote:Here's the raw video btw, no Koch brother (one of em croaked recently) boogeyman under this link: https://twitter.com/Breaking911/status/ ... 53445?s=19
I already linked the raw footage, dumbass! Why are you and Rob always so terrified to click my links? Are you afraid the Ring girl is going to crawl out of your monitor?

BryanM

Post by BryanM »

A boogeyman is a fictional construct that doesn't actually exist. Like the all-mighty SJW that's gonna take breasts out of all video games forever by complaining about how they don't much like them.

Women who wear flannel really are not that powerful. Gosh.
This is good satire. A safe space to contemplate the dark horrors of the world and face them. Any bastard that wants to get rid of brunettes is an absolute monster.

People just shut down when confronted directly - like whenever I point out "hey slavery is still legal maybe we can finish making it illegal here?" Easier to stick one's head in the sand.
If after all these hundreds of posts you think I want to do any of those things
You voted for Obama. You voted for Trump. You support the voices and the status quo that profits from these things. You rage with all your heart against the only vessel with which to even tamper them down slightly within the next four years.

You can say and think whatever you want. But your actions don't line up with your rhetoric. Materially you support all this stuff.
quash

Post by quash »

Mischief Maker wrote:"Yankee Caliphate historian," huh? Sounds legit.
I'm giving you the tl;dr version of a journal published by Palgrave. You know, world renowned political science publisher. If I had more faith in you I'd have just linked the source material.
BryanM wrote:You voted for Obama. You voted for Trump. You support the voices and the status quo that profits from these things. You rage with all your heart against the only vessel with which to even tamper them down slightly within the next four years.

The only reason I vote at all is because of the vain hope that maybe a sitting congressman can be ousted in my lifetime. I voted for DeLeon too, what does that mean? Besides that voting in California amounts to nothing because the majority of this state is mentally retarded.
You can say and think whatever you want. But your actions don't line up with your rhetoric. Materially you support all this stuff.
Sent from your iPhone, comrade? :lol:

Seriously, give me a fucking break. Besides the fact that you don't know me like that, your own side has conceded time and again that this argument is bunk, no conscious consumption under capitalism and all that. I guess I should be so principled as to starve to death because nobody will accept my gold bullion in exchange for food, huh? That's what you'd like, isn't it?
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

quash wrote:I'm giving you the tl;dr version of a journal published by Palgrave. You know, world renowned political science publisher. If I had more faith in you I'd have just linked the source material.
How many times have you or Rob skipped into the forum waving around some published paper like it's a magical talisman, only for me to read the paper then explain to you how your tl;dr curator is lying to you?

Why don't you just link the source material?

Rob

Post by Rob »

Mischief Maker wrote:How many times have you or Rob skipped into the forum waving around some published paper like it's a magical talisman, only for me to read the paper then explain to you how your tl;dr curator is lying to you?
Zero times.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Avi Berkowitz, an assistant to White House senior advisor and Mr Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner, will inherit the role from Jason Greenblatt, formerly Mr Trump’s real estate lawyer, after Mr Greenblatt announced yesterday he would step down.

Mr Berkowitz, who graduated from Harvard Law School in 2016, has no foreign policy experience. He joined the Trump campaign in 2016 and has since served as Mr Kushner’s right-hand-man in the administration.

A former employer said on Twitter Mr Berkowitz was “not very impressive and needed significant hand-holding to handle even simple assignments. But Mideast peace? I’m sure he’s got this!” Another Arab states expert described him as “a glorified intern”.
Others have raised concerns that Mr Berkowitz, like Mr Greenblatt before him and Mr Kushner, is a Zionist Jew, which may lead to a perception of bias in any peace negotiations with Palestinian officials. Upon Mr Greenblatt’s announcement of his departure, Mr Trump thanked him for his “dedication to Israel.”
Fresh grad with no experience? Pshaw.

It would almost be worth seeing a Trump loss just to have Javanka banished from the throne room forever.