Prelude to the Apocalypse

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!

Iran War. When.

6%
2022-2025
28%
2026-2030
13%
2031-2040
6%
2041-2050
No votes
Never
48%

Total votes: 54

Sengoku Strider

Re: Prelude to the Apocalypse

Post by Sengoku Strider »

emphatic wrote:Isn't there a thread about mass shootings? It's strangely quiet about this latest one...
Might be people don't have the energy, this one was pretty horrible. From looking at other online spaces it's also garnered a particularly obnoxious sports-politics reaction. Democrat-leaning social media has rushed to downplay the trans aspect of the shooter like it was an olympic event. Meanwhile, the gender thing is like 8 of the top 10 headlines in conservative spaces. The shooter left a manifesto, and it seems a safe bet the gender issue will factor in. But they were also a student at the school at one point, so who knows.

As usual only patriots have the real facts. Joe Biden orchestrated the whole thing. Like every school shooting in history, it was a false flag carried out by baby eating gun stealers.
Spoiler
On the one hand, I'm not really in the mood to laugh about this. On the other hand "women are biologically incapable of killing children so it was obviously Joe Biden" is probably not that far off what the counter-narrative is going to end up being. My money's on some variation of "As you can see, identifying as he/him short circuited the God-given baby protecting circuits of the natural female brain."

While leftist sports-politics enthusiasts who can't bring themselves to cede an inch of narrative turf will give us "Of course, murdering children with an assault rifle is wrong BUT...gun advocacy/transphobia is the real villain here. Other than the villain. Who I am of course blaming first. Now, getting back to why Ted Cruz and Rand Paul are responsible for this..." Yes, I have already seen all of this bandied about. Except Rand Paul. That was my own very creative twist.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Huh, a mass shooting. How new and innovative.

The profit-seeking ghouls that are the media seem to care about it an awful lot. Man, remember the weeks of content they got from 9-11 and that missing plane?

From what I can sieve from this garbage heap, the manifesto wasn't a manifesto, it's what we english-users would call a "plan". At least that's what some officials claim. Wouldn't be surprised if that's how it is: Typical hyperbolic media language to the make the product more salacious.

I don't know if it's better or worse that there aren't any made up excuses for why they thought it was necessary to murder some powerless children and old ladies. As Carlin always says, "bullshit is the glue that holds society together" and reading some absolute bullshit after these things is oddly comforting in a security blanket kind of way.

Anyway. Fuck this guy.
It's strangely quiet about this latest one
Jesus emp, I've barely managed to squeeze out my first dump of the day. Can you give it a couple hours to cook before bringing it up.

129th shooting this year, identical to all the rest except this one was a trans guy. Ok.
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

I wonder if relentlessly persecuting someone and then giving them unfettered access to assault weapons could ever have any kind of a predictable outcome?
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Air Master Burst wrote:I wonder if relentlessly persecuting someone and then giving them unfettered access to assault weapons could ever have any kind of a predictable outcome?
Agreed, but I can't think of any situation where unfettered access to firearms is a good idea.
emphatic wrote:Isn't there a thread about mass shootings? It's strangely quiet about this latest one...
Which one? It works on two levels. I honestly don't know which fresh mass shooting event you're referencing. That might be a problem? ???
We apologise for the inconvenience
Sengoku Strider

I gotta admit, I didn't have "the vaccine did it" on my school shooting bingo card. I thought that subplot wrapped up last season.

FBI deep state cyber stalkers hate him! Patriotic dad comes up with one weird typing trick to evade AI detection:

BIL

Post by BIL »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
Spoiler

Pace our learned friend TRAITORALLIGATOR aka PATRIOTGRRRL4U (tits or gtfo), women are, in fact, famously apt at killing children! Globally, every study I've seen puts them on par with men. When it comes to killing each other, or (lmao) men (*slap*), women ain't shit. Thankfully! We men contribute quiiite enough horror for the both of us.

I got no opinion on the ongoing Burgerkrieg other than it sucks and I hope you all survive. I have to say though, sorry Bryan, I just gotta let this out *parp* OAAAAH THAT BURNS Image Ahem. Foot on this Koran I use to prop up my desk, I groaned "Fuck's sake, this isn't the time..." at what I assumed was a hararious, X-TREEEEEEM right deepfake of SNIFFIN JOE shambling to-and-fro, mumbling about chocolate chip ice cream.

It wasn't a deepfake. 3; ("Fuck you expect, this is the sunken grey Iraq-warmongering cunt who called your mother a monkey in the 70s and you a racist in Current Year" said brainmeat "Oh yeah lmao" I replied while uploading my latest Nuremberg fanfiction, in which our dear leader and several dozen others are hooked up to a crazy contraption that uses Donald Rumsfeld's corpse as a counterweight to slowly garrotte them all to death Image)

*Good on the cops for killing the sick cunt instead of fleeing in terror like those other dudes. Image Women are famously bad at killing not just other adults, but also themselves. Might've murdered a lot more people.

**I don't know if it was a bitch or not. I don't entertain assholes re: pronouns. Everyone has an asshole! Image

***Oh, confirmed, it was indeed a bint. I hope she suffered horribly! Although given these cops seemed to be proficient killers, they probably blew her worthless minge to hell in short order.
Last edited by BIL on Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

That thread has literally not been touched in nearly four years, even as hundreds of mass shootings have taken place in the interim...but as you couldn't resist implying, of course, the reason for this is not that "conversations" with firearms absolutists are about as useful as tits on a bull and so utterly soul-destroying that you never want to leave your house again, but because this time it's a tranny that done it. :roll: Apparently "thoughts and prayers" is no longer an insufferable enough spitball in the eye of people who actually care.

Off to the side, when I read the other day about the widespread resistance to Netanyahu's attempted takeover of the judiciary in Israel - everything from ports to embassies to fucking McDonald's refusing to operate in protest - the only thing I could think to myself is "man, imagine if we'd seen a fraction of that in the USA when McConnell and company stole the Supreme Court in broad daylight, instead of every Constitution-humping conservative rubbing their hands and cackling in open glee while the "center" sits with a thumb up its collective ass? Would anyone even recognize this place now?"
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

The excuses spree killers make always betray what absolute maniacs they always are. If they were calm and rational, they'd be serial killers. If they were decent people, they'd only kill themselves.

The Wal-Mart killer had this bit about automation and people being replaced with robots, which is why he had to go to Wal-Mart and murder Mexicans. Stack had a rant about the cruelty of inequality, memorably recalling an old lady he knew that was forced to live off of dry cat food, and that's why he had to set his house on fire and fly his plane into the IRS building. The killdozer guy went on his rampage because The Man gave him a hard time about dumping his poop in the creek. Logic and reason just flat out ain't there.

I guess I do have to hand it to the media though. These insane assholes are anything but boring. ... at least the part where they're at their absolute worst. Like Charlie Sheen or Chris-chan, you definitely wouldn't want to be friends with any of these people.

You could have a 40 minute drama of the killdozer guy and not make up, exaggerate, or dramatize a single thing and it'd be riveting. And since the cops managed to evacuate everyone in time, no murders to make profiting off of it unethical.
DNA
Guh, DNA is actually very effective at protecting itself. The shit's billions of years old, errors during the lifetime of a single organism have to be incredibly minute.

It seems feasible most cancers comes from a cell disastrously getting knocked out of a body's regulation network. This includes this thing called "bioelectricity". It sounds like made up woo-woo since we're not taught it in grade school biology class, but cells really do need some kind of external scaffolding to know when the hell to stop reproducing and such. This kind of thing was used to regenerate a passable leg on a frog so far.

The epigenome, of course, is in constant endless flux.

... I suspect these kinds of things aren't pertinent to these guys' internal model of the world. Oh well, back to our "are we heading toward Bladerunner or The Postman" show...

(Fyi, Microsoft fired its entire AI Ethics team. Which is just the kind of thing I'd expect would happen while watching Robert Miles' videos on the subject years ago. Hell, even before that. But less certainly, you know?

There was this one PBS program called Morals and Ethics Weekly or whatev, and whenever it'd come on I'd laugh at the super serious show about two imaginary things that don't exist.)
BulletMagnet wrote:That thread has literally not been touched in nearly four years
Don't any of you dare bump that crap. If you wanna be a necromancy practicin' sicko, do it on the Billy Mitchell Hot Sauce thread instead!
BIL

Post by BIL »

I concur, observe from tasteful distance. Skykid's bit about acid attacks being too fucked up and you might hit a dog made me miss Skykid. 3;

Birry thread got bumped pretty recently IIRC, over the INESCAPABLE GOTCHA that he might've been using an 8way stick for his Monkey Dong scores. You see, for those who didn't catch the recent sighting; in Honkey Mong, you're meant to be on 4way. 8way lets you exploit the megabytes, in ways unintended by the game's designer, Miyamoto Musashi!

But the hell of it is, it might've been a replacement knob, with the crucial Donkey Chode inner workings still present! So who knows really.
Sengoku Strider

BryanM wrote:... I suspect these kinds of things aren't pertinent to these guys' internal model of the world. Oh well, back to our "are we heading toward Bladerunner or The Postman" show...
Tom Petty is already dead, and Blade Runner was supposed to happen back in 2019.

No, the future we are headed for is a much darker version of Warhammer 40k crossed with Doom crossed with Home Alone 2:

Air Master Burst

BIL wrote:But the hell of it is, it might've been a replacement knob, with the crucial Donkey Chode inner workings still present! So who knows really.
Everyone knows that a replacement knob could convey all sorts of unfair grip advantages, sort of like those baseball pitchers who smear baby shit on the bill of their hat or whatever to help them throw better. Only the PURE ORIGINAL UNCUT HARDWARE will do!
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Learning that you control the barrels really improved my Donkey Kong skillz. Getting into those later levels I could really understand they're not that great and there might actually be a lot less design space for traditional Donkey Kong levels than I thought...
Sengoku Strider wrote:No, the future we are headed for is a much darker version of Warhammer 40k crossed with Doom crossed with Home Alone 2:
The thing with these grimdark futuristic settings like WH40k and Home Alone 2, is that they're all incredibly optimistic: there's still humans around. Even I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream is pretty upbeat, with how there's still two sapients in the world.

These 130+ fahrenheit summers are really starting to make me think the whole Venus syndrome thing isn't impossible. Atmosphere wasn't going to stay like this forever, and only the anthropic principle created the miracle that got it to hang around for as crazy long as it has..
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

If it isn't the temperatures/weather, then it'll be resource scarcity and pollution. Space colonization isn't viable and probably never will be.
Sengoku Strider

These people spend like 2 years straight losing their minds over drag queen story hour as child grooming, then come out of nowhere with the "compassion for vaccine-injured persons" curveball. They're really fucking with my whole schema here. Did I jump worldlines again?

BryanM wrote:these grimdark futuristic settings like WH40k and Home Alone 2
Thank you, I needed the chuckle.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sengoku Strider wrote:drag queen story hour as child grooming
I have to say, according to their own literature, it is child grooming:
Queer worldmaking, including political organizing, has long been a project driven by desire. It is, in part, enacted through art forms like fashion, theatre, and drag. We believe that DQSH offers an invitation towards deeper public engagement with queer cultural production, particularly for young children and their families. It may be that DQSH is “family friendly,” in the sense that it is accessible and inviting to families with children, but it is less a sanitizing force than it is a preparatory introduction to alternate modes of kinship. Here, DQSH is “family friendly” in the sense of “family” as an old-school queer code to identify and connect with other queers on the street.
Or perhaps it is merely bringing the latent sucking, fucking, rimming sexpots out of three-to-eight y/os. Potayto, potahto, imho.

(I'm not affected by this stuff personally; violent state-sanctioned homophobia tends to keep the "Medelsome Monkey" at bay, sadly taking a lot of innocent people down with him. But I asked what was up and got crickets, those reliable little harbingers of bleak mirth, my favourite kind 3:)
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

That divergence number is quite a lot fucked up. (It ain't supposed to go beyond 0 to 2, and those are already at the "rather bad" ends of the spectrum.)

Ah, I wish I could muster up the willpower to watch the sequel series. I waited so long I'll have to start over from scratch... I thought I could apply the same tactic I use for games but seems like there's a limit to how many years I can stall...
BIL wrote:But I asked what was up and got crickets, those reliable little harbingers of bleak mirth, my favourite kind 3:)
I don't know man I don't know. I can't know everything least of all the motives of other people and 100% who all the predators are.

Grooming is a natural course of being fuckin' alive, minds don't grow in a void.[1] Everyone wants to advocate their worldview; Sesame Street did a ton of damage to racism. While Jessica Rabbit and the disgusting things Bay does to Megan Fox in his movies do other things.

Did you not see the Weather Girl's video as a kid and got changed for life????

[1] (If you wanna be a complete weirdo, do what I've done and unplug completely from TV and movies. The people within that culture start to seem SUPER weird and alien after detoxing for a decade. 'Zoomer humor' might also be a byproduct of something similar.)
BIL

Post by BIL »

If a worldview requires the sexualising of small children to persist, I'm ok with it vanishing. Bad ideas happen, like redlining, or suttee, or FGM.

In reality, I don't think any sexuality - this is, by the authors' own admission, ultimately about sexuality - requires child involvement (not that it'd be any less grotesque, if it truly did). People are what they are. Hence my confusion at the apparent matter of life and death that is drag queens having access to 3-8yos.

It seems like an overreach doomed to end in backlash. Reading that paper, I can't help noticing a lot of hubris for a rather monumental ask: "Trust us, we'll make your kids better people, coincidentally to our benefit." That's been said a lot over the millennia.
BryanM wrote:Did you not see the Weather Girl's video as a kid and got changed for life????
Hand on heart, we were always fucked up. I used to wonder if my youngest brother would grow up thinking men fucking each other in the ass was literally all they did all day. Because I swear, that's all my generation's preteen humour revolved around. We had a joke that our headmaster and gym coach were out fucking on the airstrip one night, with such a pistoning fury that the latter's o-ring began glowing red-hot; causing an incoming plane to mistake it for a landing beacon, and ram its nose straight up the headmaster's ass. This bit is important: he'd then yell "Whoaaa! This is too big even for me!" Everyone falling about ourselves. I'm cracking up remembering, actually.

We had another, about the shop teacher having devised a kind of... underground vibrator fortress. A silvery dome in his backyard, that would emerge from the grass on moonlit nights to a dull, earth-tremoring roar, setting off instruments all across the region; our man inside, stark naked on the cockpit throne, his stern face illuminated by myriad readouts and dials, operating the levers and pedals in grim pursuit of the sensation his punished terminus had long since inured to. Another bloke - I want to say he was the deputy head - was said to have taken so many verdant, beefy loads over the decades, he now regularly found himself off sick, with the debilitating condition of rice growing in his asshole. (he was in fact quite ill :sad:)

We didn't think any of these men were gay, and I doubt it'd have meant anything to us if they were. It was just idle fun with a side of mild scientific inquiry. "HOW IT EVEN FIT LMAO" Many papers have been written on the British West Indies' curious hybrid of 1) cheerful raunch 2) stodgy oldschool conservatism and 3) ultraviolent homophobia, the last typically cast as some kind of pressure valve. 3:

Still, even in less fucked-up parts of the world, I'm quite confident kids don't need help with this stuff. Not terribly inclined to give The Church of Trust Me Bro the benefit of the doubt.
Air Master Burst

BIL wrote:We didn't think any of these men were gay, and I doubt it'd have meant anything to us if they were. It was just idle fun with a side of mild scientific inquiry. "HOW IT EVEN FIT LMAO" Many papers have been written on the British West Indies' curious hybrid of 1) cheerful raunch 2) stodgy oldschool conservatism and 3) ultraviolent homophobia, the last typically cast as some kind of pressure valve.
Poor thing, you never stood a chance.
BIL wrote:Hence my confusion at the apparent matter of life and death that is drag queens having access to 3-8yos.
It's the other way around; if kids wanna go watch drag shows I say let 'em! Nobody's forcing anyone to do anything. Statistically speaking they're far more likely to be groomed by a family member or someone from school or church.

It's extra fun because the people that are trying to ban parents from taking their children to see drag shows are the same people screaming about how parental rights let them burn entire school libraries.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Air Master Burst wrote:Poor thing, you never stood a chance.
Oh well, I'll try to survive. \(o_o)/ Someone somewhere is always gonna want to gas-chamber you, that's what I always say. Image
BIL wrote:Hence my confusion at the apparent matter of life and death that is drag queens having access to 3-8yos.
It's the other way around; if kids wanna go watch drag shows I say let 'em! Nobody's forcing anyone to do anything. Statistically speaking they're far more likely to be groomed by a family member or someone from school or church.
I'm not talking about voluntarily attending drag shows. This is in specific reference to Drag Queen Story Hour or DQSH, an organisation whose stated goal is to proselytize "queerness" to children from ages three and up. I suggest reading their literature, it's very enlightening.

I almost wonder if conflating the moderate - gay people deserve the same rights as everyone else - with the extreme - give us your children! - isn't a bug, but a deliberate goading. Provoke a violent reaction to promote the charade of John and Jane Q. Public as slavering homophobes. Race hustlers like DiAngelo, Kendi and Coates have a similar game; it keeps them in the trenches, fighting the generously subsidised good fight.

Taking DQSH at their word, they genuinely believe child outreach is their way forward. And yeah, that's going to go down like a lead dildo with 99% of parents. So would Exotic Dancer Story Hour, or any other vehicle for the sexualisation of children. It's an innately grotesque proposition.

Last edited by BIL on Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Sima Tuna wrote:If it isn't the temperatures/weather, then it'll be resource scarcity and pollution. Space colonization isn't viable and probably never will be.
I think the issue is the speed limit.

The speed of light is painfully slow in this enormous space. At the same time, it's too fast for feasible and safe navigation, so we must go slower. Let's go ahead and assume we can go the speed of light (but we can't).

The first problem is planning. We can't see anything but ancient history when we peer out at the universe. The stars are an asynchronous and confusing mess to look at. Every twinkling dot is a snapshot of the distant past--and each twinkle is from a different time. Use all the magnification and lensing you want, we still can't understand the current state of any planet in real time, so how do you make a plan? Don't forget the first problem; I need time to see it and time to get there. Even if time bends for me traveling at a high speed, time will pass normally at my destination. What will be there when I arrive? More urgently, how will I avoid debris and hazards while traveling? Just hope we get lucky?

Also, how do I manage a supply chain between distant planets? I can't communicate faster than the speed of light.

Good news, the magnetic field should hold up until the sun swells up and scorches this rock, so we have until the sun runs out of fuel. Unless we can find something ridiculously close to home, there's no place else to go.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Sengoku Strider

BIL wrote:I have to say, according to their own literature, it is child grooming:
I should warn you, you're saying this to a guy who pays his rent writing "citation needed" 18 times a day. I found the original article this quote is from:

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10 ... 20.1864621
Conclusion

As drag has moved further into the mainstream, some have questioned whether this queer art form has lost its edge. In discussing the work of DQSH within our social circles, we have occasionally encountered critiques that DQSH is sanitizing the risque nature of drag in order to make it “family friendly.” We do not share this pessimistic view. Queer worldmaking, including political organizing, has long been a project driven by desire. It is, in part, enacted through art forms like fashion, theatre, and drag. We believe that DQSH offers an invitation towards deeper public engagement with queer cultural production, particularly for young children and their families. It may be that DQSH is “family friendly,” in the sense that it is accessible and inviting to families with children, but it is less a sanitizing force than it is a preparatory introduction to alternate modes of kinship. Here, DQSH is “family friendly” in the sense of “family” as an old-school queer code to identify and connect with other queers on the street.

We do, however, share the well-founded concern surrounding the profit-driven co- optation of queer social movements. We certainly understand why the mainstream public would be drawn to queer artistry – quite frankly, why wouldn’t you be? It looks good, it’s edgy, and it’s a lot of fun. However, when public engagement with queer culture is shallow, it risks becoming exploitative. In this way, DQSH is caught in the crosshairs of capitalism. Drag queens are simultaneously among the most beloved and reviled members of queer communities, and their feminized labour has historically been exploited in service of entertainment. Of course, drag queens are also workers who need to make money – now – and DQSH provides a new avenue for income. As DQSH gains a wider public audience, there are the usual requests for resources that can be used to advance LGBT inclusion in schools. These requests beckon the produc- tion of boxed curricula, corporate-style inclusivity trainings, and lesson sequences that can be absorbed by school structures and budgets. Prefabricated replicable curricula may offer profitability, but performance art is not easily packaged. We ask: will DQSH succumb to pragmatism? Or, will it revel in its strategic defiance, its transformative power, its campy thrills, and its alternate kinship structures?
There certainly are some WTF moments in that article, and stylistically it reminds me why I would probably hang myself if I had to spend a lifetime reading gender studies articles. But that quote isn't about giving Timmy a 6 year old mini-boner. The whole thing is mostly gender studies bromide about destabilizing prescriptive gender roles, to stop kids who can't fit themselves to them from self-stigmatizing and being stigmatized. The added argument for this approach being giving other kids a sense of familiarity with queer people rather than seeing them as perpetual others, one that just adding a mention of Harvey Milk to the curriculum wouldn't achieve.

And in a larger project, to call into question the way that formalized education functions as an organ of the state to establish its ideological framework and funnel people into specific productive modes as adults. Which is a Pink Floyd-esque sentiment of social rebellion so musty your grandparents probably went through high school with some version of it.
In reality, I don't think any sexuality - this is, by the authors' own admission, ultimately about sexuality - requires child involvement (not that it'd be any less grotesque, if it truly did)
The flip side to this argument is that these events are less about that than Disney movies ultimately are. Advocates will say that silencing queer voices just gives that type of dominant gender expression the entire voice in the educational public square in perpetuity. The perception that bringing up non-straight relationships to children is an inherently prurient act implying strange or dangerous sexual deviance in and of itself kind of proves their point.

Of course the article mentions that these presentations aren't standardized or following any kind of official program, so caveat emptor I guess. Having been around enough grad school activist types, I am 100% certain there are people out there trying to tell kids that colonial patriarcho-cis hierarchies suppressing their natural foot fetish desires are the chains holding humankind back from eternal utopia.* But the pictures I've seen of these things all have parents present, so it's not like kids are being abducted en masse and Clockwork Oranged into becoming GG Allin.

*Actual conference presentation, though it didn't involve kids. Sadly but not sadly I don't think the individual ever succeeded in getting their paper published anywhere, I've looked online but never found it.
BryanM wrote:Ah, I wish I could muster up the willpower to watch the sequel series. I waited so long I'll have to start over from scratch... I thought I could apply the same tactic I use for games but seems like there's a limit to how many years I can stall...
I've only played the three games (the original - though not the Elite version, Zero & Embrace). Embrace is mostly just fan service, but Zero was pretty good. It explains a lot about the wider setting and the characters' places in it, and it does get apocalyptically grimdark.

But also Daru is gross and is probably breaking content laws in several countries.
BryanM wrote:That divergence number is quite a lot fucked up. (It ain't supposed to go beyond 0 to 2, and those are already at the "rather bad" ends of the spectrum.)
You're telling me.

Air Master Burst

BIL wrote:Taking DQSH at their word, they genuinely believe child outreach is their way forward. And yeah, that's going to go down like a lead dildo with 99% of parents. So would Exotic Dancer Story Hour, or any other vehicle for the sexualisation of children. It's an innately grotesque proposition.
This is exactly the sort of thing my parents would've taken me to if it had existed back in the day. I think you might be confusing drag queen story hour with children's beauty pageants. They don't dress the kids up at these things, you know, they only dress themselves up and read cute stories to the kids. It's fun!
Sengoku Strider wrote:kids are being abducted en masse and Clockwork Oranged into becoming GG Allin.
Where was this 30 years ago when I needed it?
orange808 wrote:Unless we can find something ridiculously close to home, there's no place else to go.
We can go as far as we want as long as we accept that it's a one-way trip.
BIL

Post by BIL »

OH GOD NO

Image Image Image

FUCKIN BEEEEEES
Last edited by BIL on Thu Mar 30, 2023 1:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sengoku Strider

Air Master Burst wrote:They don't dress the kids up at these things, you know, they only dress themselves up and read cute stories to the kids.
Weelllll.....
That Paper wrote:At many events, organizers invite kids to create their own drag name or study feminist icons using DQSH’s self-published Dragtivity Book (Erlich, 2018). A few cities have expanded programming to include bilingual readings, events geared specifically towards neurodivergent children and others with disabilities, or programmes for teenagers that feature makeup and performance workshops.
This thing was published in an academic journal on education (and not even an obscure one). It very much reads like it's preaching to the converted, in a place they expected only a few hundred people would ever even see it. I don't think they realized they were writing a list of cherry pickable quotes tailor-made for "how to radicalize your friends and neighbours against the enemies of our version of christendom" pamphlets.
That Paper Again wrote:Through this programme, drag artists have channelled their penchant for playfully “‘reading’ each other to filth” into different forms of literacy, promoting storytelling as integral to queer and trans communities, as well as positioning queer and trans cultural forms as valuable components of early childhood education.
I mean for fuck's sake guys. Literally on page one? The one that's only ever half a page because of how much space the title takes up, so people might actually read it? You did that on purpose.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
BIL wrote:I have to say, according to their own literature, it is child grooming:
I should warn you, you're saying this to a guy who pays his rent writing "citation needed" 18 times a day. I found the original article this quote is from:

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10 ... 20.1864621
That would be the same article and URL cited in the fortnight-old post I linked you, and subsequently AMB to. :wink:

I trust you have read it in full? I also recommend Cruising Utopia, cited in that same post, to appreciate the full fucking, sucking, fisting depth of the authors' ideological moorings.
There certainly are some WTF moments in that article, and stylistically it reminds me why I would probably hang myself if I had to spend a lifetime reading gender studies articles. But that quote isn't about giving Timmy a 6 year old mini-boner. The whole thing is mostly gender studies bromide about destabilizing prescriptive gender roles, to stop kids who can't fit themselves to them from self-stigmatizing and being stigmatized. The added argument for this approach being giving other kids a sense of familiarity with queer people rather than seeing them as perpetual others, one that just adding a mention of Harvey Milk to the curriculum wouldn't achieve.
Sure, I understand that. I don't see the leap from there to "the hips on the drag queen go swish-swish-swish."
And in a larger project, to call into question the way that formalized education functions as an organ of the state to establish its ideological framework and funnel people into specific productive modes as adults. Which is a Pink Floyd-esque sentiment of social rebellion so musty your grandparents probably went through high school with some version of it.
My grandparents would've been barred from attending the same school as kids of my skin tone, were they living in the US rather than Jamaica. Actually, my mother probably would've been, too. Maybe I would've, even, depending on the viciousness of the local "one drop" ordnances.

The histrionic conflation of "queer survival" with the civil rights struggles of the past - including those for gay rights - is a little insulting. It's also spectacularly counterproductive.
BIL wrote:In reality, I don't think any sexuality - this is, by the authors' own admission, ultimately about sexuality - requires child involvement (not that it'd be any less grotesque, if it truly did)
The flip side to this argument is that these events are less about that than Disney movies ultimately are. Advocates will say that silencing queer voices just gives that type of dominant gender expression the entire voice in the educational public square in perpetuity. The perception that bringing up non-straight relationships to children is an inherently prurient act implying strange or dangerous sexual deviance in and of itself kind of proves their point.
The premise of heteronormative and "queer" norms as co-eminent, the latter unfairly marginalised, is pure wish-thinking. The margin is where it will always dwell, for nothing more sinister than shitty old biological reality. The word itself, "queer" (unusual, extraordinary, "I saw the queerest thing today") is a big hint.

A school isn't promoting dominant gender expression by reading Dick and Jane, any more than people are promoting dominant ambulatory expression by gallivanting around on their fancy pairs of legs. That's the paradigm.

And again, it's not an aversion to any particular sexuality, no matter how heteronormative or "queer." It's an aversion to sexualising small children. That's the principle.

I don't see much principle in the proponents of DQSH where "black and brown" objections (often furious) are concerned. That suggests to me they are not operating from principle at all; merely selecting the paths of least resistance on their ideological mission. It's good strategy.

You know, here in England, they have a children's theatre tradition called "Pantomime," or simply panto. You may well be aware, particular as a Canadian. It's full of fruity characters, men in drag essentially. But nobody ever had a problem with it; because there's no sexual dimension, it's just silly fun.

The revisionist lens painting Widow Twankey, and Ursula, and Gaston as "queer icons yaaas kweeen" sounds more like wishful projection. Is Ursula a "butch femme?" Is Gaston a classic "domme top?" Sure, I guess, if you want them to be, through a sexualised, decidedly adult lens.

Even then, these cartoons were created by adults for children. You can't help leaving fingerprints and fibres. J.M. Barry is widely believed to have written Peter Pan as paean to a lost gay lover. Lewis Carroll is an absolute minefield unto himself.

None of this is reflected in the works themselves, because they were made for an audience of children. In the source fable, Sleeping Beauty's prince infamously rouses her from slumber via that old favourite, unsolicited penetration under assumption of consent. I must've watched the G-rated cut. :sad:
Of course the article mentions that these presentations aren't standardized or following any kind of official program, so caveat emptor I guess. Having been around enough grad school activist types, I am 100% certain there are people out there trying to tell kids that colonial patriarcho-cis hierarchies suppressing their natural foot fetish desires are the chains holding humankind back from eternal utopia.* But the pictures I've seen of these things all have parents present, so it's not like kids are being abducted en masse and Clockwork Oranged into becoming GG Allin.

*Actual conference presentation, though it didn't involve kids. Sadly but not sadly I don't think the individual ever succeeded in getting their paper published anywhere, I've looked online but never found it.
Bad parents exist. So do very busy ones, who put their trust in schools to not invite adult entertainers into the classroom for a self-proclaimed excercise in "queer worldmaking."
Air Master Burst wrote:
BIL wrote:Taking DQSH at their word, they genuinely believe child outreach is their way forward. And yeah, that's going to go down like a lead dildo with 99% of parents. So would Exotic Dancer Story Hour, or any other vehicle for the sexualisation of children. It's an innately grotesque proposition.
This is exactly the sort of thing my parents would've taken me to if it had existed back in the day. I think you might be confusing drag queen story hour with children's beauty pageants. They don't dress the kids up at these things, you know, they only dress themselves up and read cute stories to the kids. It's fun!
Child beauty paegeants are pretty goddamn gross too, I have to say. It's not an uncommon opinion, outside of hyper-polarised political discourse.

The Mignonnes/Cuties furore seems so long ago, now. Not even three fucking years, seriously? Things appear to be accelerating. Or rather, extremists appear to be speeding merrily off into the distance.

Principle is a handy thing to have. Image

EDIT: Hey, more stuff I quoted in my post from two weeks ago :O
Sengoku Strider wrote:
That Paper wrote:At many events, organizers invite kids to create their own drag name or study feminist icons using DQSH’s self-published Dragtivity Book (Erlich, 2018). A few cities have expanded programming to include bilingual readings, events geared specifically towards neurodivergent children and others with disabilities, or programmes for teenagers that feature makeup and performance workshops.
This thing was published in an academic journal on education (and not even an obscure one). It very much reads like it's preaching to the converted, in a place they expected only a few hundred people would ever even see it. I don't think they realized they were writing a list of cherry pickable quotes tailor-made for "how to radicalize your friends and neighbours against the enemies of our version of christendom" pamphlets.
Yeah, this is why I don't do cherry picking. Sadly, as demonstrated in this very post, people don't read even when exhorted to.

The paper is soaked through in ideological activism, with the sexualisation of small children as its vector. There's no need to cherry pick when the entire tree is so easily felled.
That Paper Again wrote:Through this programme, drag artists have channelled their penchant for playfully “‘reading’ each other to filth” into different forms of literacy, promoting storytelling as integral to queer and trans communities, as well as positioning queer and trans cultural forms as valuable components of early childhood education.
I mean for fuck's sake guys. Literally on page one? The one that's only ever half a page because of how much space the title takes up, so people might actually read it? You did that on purpose.
Ha, lmao, yeah, imagine reading things!
Last edited by BIL on Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Air Master Burst

Have you actually been to a drag queen story hour? I went to a few local ones a while back when some idiots were threatening violence against "groomers." It was cute! They read to the kids, they did the funny voices, they threw in a couple slightly off color (but not too lewd!) double entendres for the parents just like Animaniacs always did... The kids loved it, the parents loved it, pretty much everyone loved it.

I didn't see anyone giving makeup tutorials to teenagers, but I honestly would have loved that when I was that age.

I don't know why you assume this weird academic paper or whatever is somehow representative of drag queen story hours as a whole when most of them have no sort of greater organizational affiliation and are usually just random community members giving back.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

orange808 wrote:I think the issue is the speed limit.

Also, how do I manage a supply chain between distant planets? I can't communicate faster than the speed of light.
All that stuff about living on another planet or terraforming them is pretty much bullshit, at least from this end of the tech tree.

Creating actual spaces to live in tube style could be feasible. Extremely fragile and requiring constant maintenance, but probably not any worse than living in a bunker on Mars.

The glass in the advertising propaganda would be the first thing to go, likely. It'd cut the living space in more than half than just using the whole thing for ground, and having layers between them. Artificial sunlight would have to do, and I imagine the idealized open area in the art would be relegated to this thing called a "park".

Of course colonizing the entire universe and converting its entire reachable mass into paper clips would be trivial for the paper clip optimizer to do. That bastard doesn't have the inconvenient limitations of things like having to breathe, needing space to move around, and such. Just shotgun out a bunch of little coffins and wait for the seeds to grow.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Air Master Burst wrote:Have you actually been to a drag queen story hour? I went to a few local ones a while back when some idiots were threatening violence against "groomers."
Indeed I have, a while back while visiting family in Wales. My sister is a teacher, and my own work is schooling-adjacent, so we made an afternoon of it with her youngest kid. Whose elder siblings declined, declaring it was (quote) "for babies." More correct than they knew, as kids so often are. Image
It was cute! They read to the kids, they did the funny voices, they threw in a couple slightly off color (but not too lewd!) double entendres for the parents just like Animaniacs always did... The kids loved it, the parents loved it, pretty much everyone loved it.
Pretty much the same experience. It wasn't particularly unlike the pantos my siblings and I attended when we were kids, living in England for a while. Can't say I'd have invited the guy around to babysit, but then I wouldn't invite 99.9% of other people either. As you suggested a post back, some of the worst monsters are blindingly heteronormative beige types.

All this added to my confusion when, in the last year or so, I started hearing that crowbarring the same material into child/preteen school curriculum was now a matter of queer life or death. That instantly put it in a different, less amiable light.

Another distinction I'd put here is, what I saw was an elective event taking place outside of school hours (a Saturday). I could understand more conservative parents declining their own children's attendance. Alarmist? Maybe, but it's their call.

(many of these conservative families belong to our West Indian and Muslim minorities - a perpetual crossfire leading to much mirth, as Whitey feels the cognitive dissonance biting down Image It's all fun and "gammon" games until then! :o Sick burn on those palefaces, Whitey! Now let's call that black motherfucker a Mars Bar, and that one over there a plate of converted rice :cool: Whitey? WTF, where'd that cracker-ass motherfucker go?)

These supposed hardliners aren't motivated by hatred, in my experience; pace our always-helpful media, who are definitely not bent on fostering click-tastic division. They are leery of adults with ideological designs on their children. That's normal. Especially when those designs have an inextricable, self-professedly sexual aspect. Having read DQSH's literature, it's not something I'd have been comfortable entrusting my own kids to, had this happened when I was a young parent, what feels like a million years ago.

It's not about "zomg gayz." I love big buff gay muscle bros. And cute little twinks. And bears too! And underdressed white sorority girls. And stacks of bloody red steak washed down with gallons of beer. And ultraviolent media and sports where people get maimed and killed IRL. Most adults do! But these are kids. They have all the time in the world for that stuff when they've grown up. Several will probably have it foisted onto them, this world being the 24/7 horror show it is.

I just think it's misguided. I'm the same on teaching white and black kids to fear and distrust one another. Contrary to the bleatings of terminally self-satisfied leftist midwits, these aren't "their kids," through which to pursue their personal utopias and/or dystopian hellscapes ("Whoops! Oh well lmao" - John Money). Their job is to teach the curriculum, then STFU. They're being reminded of this, and reacting the only way they can: "REEEEEE"
I don't know why you assume this weird academic paper or whatever is somehow representative of drag queen story hours as a whole when most of them have no sort of greater organizational affiliation and are usually just random community members giving back.
I was curious about this too, hence questions for our more clued-in regulars. That paper was co-authored by a board member, who would seem to speak for the parent org.

https://www.dragstoryhour.org/about
About wrote:Drag Story Hour (DSH) was created by Michelle Tea and RADAR Productions, under the leadership of Julián Delgado Lopera and Virgie Tovar, in San Francisco in 2015. It started out as drag queens reading stories to children in libraries and grew into a global phenomenon! DSH now offers literary and creative programming for kids and teens of all ages led by drag queens, kings, and all other royal beings!

​DSH is a national 501 c 3 non-profit with a global network of local organizations, each of which is independently managed and funded.
The event I attended was organised by DQSH's UK branch.

I would say the organisational structure is apparent, even though there is an obvious (and, in the paper, encouraged) DIY aspect.

Which is very handy, given the willfully amorphous presentation the media likes to promote. "You're not criticising [BLM] ! You just hate [black people] !"
Air Master Burst

BIL wrote:All this added to my confusion when, in the last year or so, I started hearing that crowbarring the same material into child/preteen school curriculum was now a matter of queer life or death. That instantly put it in a different, less amiable light.
See, and this isn't really a thing outside of a few idiots who have to put this in obscure academic papers because they know it's silly. Drag queen story hour is a great way to get kids used to the idea of sexuality being a spectrum, but it's hardly the best or only way. And as stupid as they are, I honestly get the impression here that they're more trying to inflate their own importance than actually indoctrinate anyone.
BIL wrote:Another distinction I'd put here is, what I saw was an elective event taking place outside of school hours (a Saturday).
You don't seem to understand; they're trying to outlaw it entirely. Including private functions, regardless of parental consent. That seems like a precedent you'd be against, given how much perverted shit you regularly spew on this public forum for a hobby popular with children that has no age limit for membership.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Air Master Burst wrote:
BIL wrote:All this added to my confusion when, in the last year or so, I started hearing that crowbarring the same material into child/preteen school curriculum was now a matter of queer life or death. That instantly put it in a different, less amiable light.
See, and this isn't really a thing outside of a few idiots who have to put this in obscure academic papers because they know it's silly. Drag queen story hour is a great way to get kids used to the idea of sexuality being a spectrum, but it's hardly the best or only way. And as stupid as they are, I honestly get the impression here that they're more trying to inflate their own importance than actually indoctrinate anyone.
Same. This is why I stress my confusion at those aggressively promoting this stuff, as not just something for like-minded parents to engage in, but a mandatory part of curriculum... it's going to create backlash. In the absence of further guidance, the options AFAIK are:

1] They're deliberately fostering an atmosphere of perpetual conflict. (virtue hustler 101)
2] They're tragically oblivious.
3] They're genuine fanatics, banking on "the other side" caving in.

None are at all productive. I've noticed a backlash against not just DQSH, but drag events themselves. Besides a fondness for the aesthetic (Streets of Fire and Phantom of the Paradise are 110% Manly Tears Image), I used to think of camp as a cheerful break from the terminally up-their-own-ass genderspecials crowd. I'd often see those sorts railing against drag performers, as "cheapening their identity..." Image The whole fuckin point was to dress up and have fun!

I think there is a place in society for drag, and camp, and panto. I thought that was assured, until very recently... when's the last time you heard a rock or metal lover gay-bash Freddy Mercury, or Rob Halford, or Zangief? Those guys are beloved across all social strata, well, except for the aforementioned West Indians and Muslims, but frankly? They're a minority, if they don't like it they can fuck off back home. (I am a British West Indian :cool: Image)
BIL wrote:Another distinction I'd put here is, what I saw was an elective event taking place outside of school hours (a Saturday).
You don't seem to understand; they're trying to outlaw it entirely. Including private functions, regardless of parental consent. That seems like a precedent you'd be against, given how much perverted shit you regularly spew on this public forum for a hobby popular with children that has no age limit for membership.
I am indeed against banning DQSH outright! You are correct that I did not realise that's what's being proposed in Burgerland. I'd say the same for banning homeschooling. My only concern is it becoming enshrined as school curriculum, which the org itself and far lefty sorts over here in Crumpetland were mooting for a bit, until... well, black and brown people, basically. An aegis against Whitey. ;-;7

I'm sorry I'm so randy, it's that West Indian trait I mention. 3; I can't help it, like a faithful hound maddened by passing cars, I just want to scream of battyholes getting pounded like oil wells :shock: I am the same IRL, outside of innocent earshot, ofc!

I am a proponent of my old prof's thesis, that all our homophobes back home in Jamaica are primarily just self-hating flamers. Not that I'd tell them that to their faces, they tend to be strapped! At least not without my good friends from the armed police unit. :cool: Although tbh a lot of them go in the same boat! :shock: