Prelude to the Apocalypse

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!

Iran War. When.

6%
2022-2025
28%
2026-2030
13%
2031-2040
6%
2041-2050
No votes
Never
47%

Total votes: 53

BryanM

Re: Prelude to the Apocalypse

Post by BryanM »

No no, the computer simulation is on the Paul Verhoeven timeline. Robocop today, Total Recall tomorrow, Starship Troopers next week.

Warhammer 40k is way too fun and interesting to be compared to this shit. Do you see 400,000 point armies of awesome robot men and xenos shredding each other into meat? Of course not, nuclear weapons exist. Xenos don't.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Once again demonstrating how Based and Redpilled he is, God Emperor Trump is putting the kibosh on the Kung Flu Commies by announcing his plans to ban the leftist cesspool known as "Tik Tok". Maybe now the normies, free of the brainwashing power of thots lip-syncing to Rick and Morty, will see the Marxist Left for what they truly are and help vote God Emperor Trump in for another term, which I think we can all agree is simultaneously the best outcome and the funniest outcome for all involved.
Spoiler
[/s]
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

"Cultural" Marxism is one of those bizarre phrases that really illustrates how completely alien these people's brains are. Not a spec of material concern, it's all about immaterialism.

Take abortion. One of the best ways to reduce abortions in the material world: birth control, and don't shame people into not using it. But their culture is furious and rejects this obvious material reality: in their mind it's outright wrong that they would work, and reality must be substituted with fantasy.

It's openly ironic: they fear being replaced with robots or immigrants, but their ideal would have us all be sexless, joyless, inhuman robots. I suppose the only times we're allowed to have a speck of joy is when toiling to make our owners richer, making sandwiches in the kitchen for our husbands+kids, or venerating Jesus.

That last one reminds me of that "Pokémon is satanism" meme from the 90's. The underlying issue the parents had with it wasn't that imaginary cock fighting with an army of monsters was satanic, the issue was that their kids were finding joy in something that wasn't related to their church, or their doctrine and approved rituals.

If the kids have more fun with Pokémon, they might be less religious. That was the fear. (For god's sake: those games heavily feature a massive boogeyman of superstitious thinking: numbers.)

(The number of times I've heard them say stuff that only makes sense if real life were Dragon Ball Z, like how instantaneous teleportation would have been necessary to intervene in the Benghazi attacks before our people evacuated the place, smh... I have many complaints. Maybe they really are living in a different reality than I am - maybe when I try to cast sticks to snakes like Pharoah's sorcerers could, it fails, but it 'works' when these people try to do it?)
___

The pizza gate-type stuff is also massively irritating. We all know our oligarchs are monsters, it's on the news all the time. There doesn't need to be a complex Rube Goldberg fantasy device, when you see stuff like Bill Gates hugging Epstein after the dude was already convicted the first time.

The pizza gate stuff exists to defend the powerful, not harm them. Openly party partisan drivel, designed to Control The Conversation and waste everyone's time.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Dang, looks like Elizabeth Warren didn't get that VP slot.

Probably won't get a cabinet post either.

Hey, wasn't there another candidate in the primary who she had a much better chance at VP with, or at least an all-but-guaranteed cabinet post?
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

Harry Kamal 2020!

Proposed campaign slogans:
Kamal: Humps to get through the Slump
Prison Jobs are American Jobs
Did I Ever Smoke Pot? LOLOLOLOL
Facelift for America
Dems are not Trying to Lose, Really
Defund The Police *(refers only to English rock band)
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

ED-057 wrote:Defund The Police *(refers only to English rock band)
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
system11

Post by system11 »

You have to really admire how an eliminated candidate who received few votes on her own campaign and rubbished the eventual winner, is now the effective nominee. I suppose given his decision to pick someone for a job specifically based on skin colour and gender, he didn't have a lot to choose from.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Kamala was Obama's favored candidate in the initial primary and it wasn't until Bernie became the clear frontrunner after Nevada that he directly intervened, convincing The Rat and The Klob to join with Biden like John Carpenter's The Thing. I imagine picking Harris was Biden paying back Obama for the assist.

While unsurprised and unexcited, I'm still somewhat relieved by the pick. It could have been much, much worse.

But in some happy news, Ilhan Omar fucking crushed her deep-pocketed establishment rival last night!

BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I'm rather unrelieved and would have preferred the Knob to be honest. Remember what I was saying about coronating a successor for '24 or '28? If Biden wins, Harris is the favorite to be the nominee. She'll win South Carolina and New York handily.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

She dropped out of the primary because she was dipping in the polls in her home state.

The boomers can't live forever.

BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Neither can we. My biggest fear is the post-internet generation will degrade just as badly as they did: all of our peers happy to sit on their asses as we embrace annihilation with both hands? When the ones who survive and get their social security, and they get old and start voting, will they be any different from the boomers? Just vote for whatever the TV tells them to? It's certainly a possibility.

The 2012 GOP primary was completely insane. Their voters, really, really did not want Mitt Romney (their internal polling showed him losing to Donald Trump, which they joked about very loudly and very often), a new pokemon lead the polls every month, but finally the media put the fork into the last interesting personality Herman Cain (rip) and said "okay seriously vote for Romney" and it was done and dusted.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

A small beacon of hope was lit locally as the most corrupt county commissioner I can remember was voted out today. He was of course absolved by the rats but even the goobers here can see the problems caused by his diverting of funds when you let things that were good enough like the roads fall into complete disrepair and claim there isn't enough money.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

BryanM wrote:Neither can we. My biggest fear is the post-internet generation will degrade just as badly as they did: all of our peers happy to sit on their asses as we embrace annihilation with both hands? When the ones who survive and get their social security, and they get old and start voting, will they be any different from the boomers? Just vote for whatever the TV tells them to? It's certainly a possibility.

The 2012 GOP primary was completely insane. Their voters, really, really did not want Mitt Romney (their internal polling showed him losing to Donald Trump, which they joked about very loudly and very often), a new pokemon lead the polls every month, but finally the media put the fork into the last interesting personality Herman Cain (rip) and said "okay seriously vote for Romney" and it was done and dusted.

Yeah, and how was the media able to control the 2016 Repub primary?

To my mind, 17-dimensional chess and 20-years-into-the-future prognostications are the realm of end-of-history neolibs and Jimmy Dore. I just want to help people who are hurting now, and for the dreamers alone it's worth holding my nose in the swing-state I live in. Plus those boring lifetime judicial nominations do kinda make a difference.

I despise Biden, but don't get so distracted by your crystal ball that you forget Bill Barr, Elliott Abrams, and several other blood soaked ghouls in the Trump administration are decades-long veterans of toppling Latin American democracies. I'd rather not have an election whose results are so close it provides an excuse for a Bolivian-style "intervention," especially seeing how these guys were using the protests as an excuse to beta-test "disappearing" US citizens with a paramilitary force answerable only to the president.

BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Considering they gave 99% of their airtime to Trump for five years now without having to do any actual work, and got their tax cuts, I think they're extraordinarily happy with the outcome. If they wanted to give us Ted Cruz, they would have given us Ted Cruz instead... do they somehow not look like happy squealing pigs rolling around in their own shit, to you?

It's kind of amazing that the republicans don't have to invest as much in successors. Dick Cheney as VP was a waste of a slot if you care strongly about maintaining control over the party - they've got their base locked up so well it's immaterial which particular capitalist ghoul they pick.

Maybe I'm overly down seeing Corbyn get crushed and people like Erica, Ed and Mike dying so fucking young. It doesn't take a crystal ball to know that political solutions to our more pressing problems have failed - unless we invent some magical air pump+filter gadget and deploy many thousands of tons of the thing, we were doomed years ago.

....... the fucking thing they did to the sky in The Matrix movies seriously has a higher than 0.00X% chance of happening... What a cartoon.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I'm just glad we'll finally see justice for Juicy. Juicy Smouliet. Image
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Mischief Maker wrote:I'd rather not have an election whose results are so close it provides an excuse for a Bolivian-style "intervention," especially seeing how these guys were using the protests as an excuse to beta-test "disappearing" US citizens with a paramilitary force answerable only to the president.
Considering the runaway success they've had so far in crippling the Postal Service, suing states attempting to expand early voting, ending the census a month early, hiring thousands of "poll watchers" and openly declaring that the right to vote is not inalienable - before you even bother wading into gerrymandering and foreign assistance - they might not even have to, since, once again, the fiery folk who threw a shit fit at the notion of having to ask for a plastic straw when dining out somehow don't see a "slippery slope" here.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

BulletMagnet wrote: the fiery folk who threw a shit fit at the notion of having to ask for a plastic straw when dining out somehow don't see a "slippery slope" here.
This and the N64 thread reminded me of that time Americans decided to sue Nintendo because they were too stupid to figure out how to use an analog stick to play Mario Party without hurting themselves:
Nintendo of America has agreed to provide protective gaming gloves to owners of a video game blamed for cuts, blisters and other hand injuries.

The company is committing $80 million for the gloves and has also agreed to provide $75,000 for the cost of the New York Attorney General's investigation, which led to the settlement.

According to Attorney General Eliot Spitzer, the Mario Party game for the Nintendo 64 console can cause hand injury because to win, players are encouraged to rapidly rotate a joystick with a grooved tip.

However, Tim Weaver, editor of the UK's N64 magazine, told BBC News Online: "It's a bit ludicrous - we've had the game in the office for quite a while and our hands haven't been chafed too much. It could only happen in America."
"It could only happen in America" is no longer a cute dig at a neighbouring country and is now a terrifying statement on the decline of America as a global superpower. Statements about the average American are no longer hyperbole when half of them remain committed to supporting Trump.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Americans seriously need to wake the fuck up.

The Republicans that masquerade as Democrats are working for wealthy suburban (and uptown) professional Democrats (and the health care lobby).

Expanded health care and middle class tax cuts means absolutely nothing for most Americans.

News flash: f you don't hold an advanced degree, you probably aren't middle class.

Those big houses in that gated community are "rich" folks? Nope. :) That's not "rich". That's middle income. That's middle class.

Americans are allergic to facts. Always pretending they're all "middle class".

Most Americans are working class--and the right wing duopoly uses their denial against them.

In fact: most Americans are working poor!

Is it ignorance or denial?

When they say "expanded health care", that means protection from bankruptcy for wealthy professionals (aka "middle class"). For instance, getting drugs back down from thousands of dollars to hundreds. That fixes the problem for people with money.

If it doesn't get affordable health care to working class Americans at a price equal to (or less) than other top performing western nations, it's not worth a shit. Working poor America will not notice the changes. It won't change anything. They couldn't afford it with Reagancare, they can't afford Romneycare, and they won't be able to afford Bidencare. The one constant: "can't afford it".

Tax breaks for middle income earners won't help working poor. Working class people don't pay much income tax. Social Security is an investment, not a tax, dipshits! Check the facts.

(Boomers will argue against Social Security as they cash their latest check. The checks that have been consistently coming the decades. How does that work in their heads? How is that possible?)

There's a tug of war between supermanagers (GOP) and professionals (Dems) to shift tax burden. The one solution they can usually agree on is regressive consumption taxes. That's where we are going.

Cutting income taxes leads to consumption taxes. (Working poor don't pay much income tax.) They say consumption taxes are "fair" and appeal to the American obsession with libertarian values, but consumption taxes are regressive.

Flat taxes sound fair, but society isn't flat.

For instance, the roads get torn up by big trucks. Working class people don't make big profits moving things on the roads. Toll roads shift costs to drivers. Truck drivers work as "independent contractors". There are more trucks than jobs. The market forbids passing the toll costs to rich supermanagers. All you've doing is cutting wages for working class drivers. You're also creating new taxes for working class motorists as they move around. The corporate supermanagers that benefit get the infrastructure for free.

Congratulations, dipshit American! You've been had!
We apologise for the inconvenience
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

orange808 wrote:Americans seriously need to wake the fuck up.
Dude, you have no idea HOW AWAKE half of Americans are:
Spoiler
Justice dems may be picking off political dynasties in primaries this year, but so are the QAnon types.

Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Mischief Maker wrote:
Dude, you have no idea HOW AWAKE half of Americans are: (Respectful snip)
Jesus, who wrote that? Is it from one of those Jack T. Chick tracts?
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

system11 wrote:You have to really admire how an eliminated candidate who received few votes on her own campaign and rubbished the eventual winner, is now the effective nominee. I suppose given his decision to pick someone for a job specifically based on skin colour and gender, he didn't have a lot to choose from.
I mean, Biden was going nowhere in the primary until the people running the party decided enough with this democracy nonsense, we can't leave this up to the plebs. What counts in a primary doesn't equate to what counts in a general.

I don't care for her, but Harris was a brilliant pick, TBH. She has authoritarian bonafides that largely neutralize the standard conservative lines of attack, and the Trump campaign's plan to paint the democratic ticket as a whole as ANTIFA 2020. Meanwhile, her status as potentially the first black woman in the White House will have the party progressives getting in line and looking the other way on her political past. With everything that's been happening the last few months, I think Biden definitely read the room correctly on this one. This is not the year to leave your flank open to accusations of racial indifference.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Specineff wrote:Jesus, who wrote that? Is it from one of those Jack T. Chick tracts?
The presence of Shiva on there implies it is a joke made by a leftist. Outside of The Destroyer series, you have to be a nerd to care about mythological figures. Well, you'd have to be a bit of a nerd to know about The Destroyer... or to put so much effort into a meme... so.. tautology, really...

.. this image has always been triggering to me, as someone who's had to make real flowcharts in his life. "The shapes and arrows are supposed to mean something, you asshole!"

The first time I saw it, I thought it terminated with Trump's quote about the miracles of technology -> "Twitter" and loved it, but realized I read it wrong and now I hate it.
dcharlie

Post by dcharlie »

The weirdest thing of all this is watching America immolate itself for Donald Trump.
"I've asked 2 experts on taking RGB screenshots...."
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

The only people allowed to participate in American politics today are:

1. Grown adults who refuse to believe "The Apprentice" was a make-believe TV show.

2. Grown adults who refuse to believe "The West Wing" was a make-believe TV show.

BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

You forgot the ones who think this is how foreign policy works.

In other completely normal non-news, three days after the USPS itself said outright that mail sorting machines were being removed from processing facilities across the country, the White House's Chief of Staff is simply claiming that it's not happening...but also that, if by some strange chance it does happen, it's Obama's fault. :lol:

God, and I still remember when I complained about how much of a suppressive travesty it is that Election Day isn't a federal holiday. Seems positively quaint now that half the country backs a bona fide tin-pot despot. Yeeahhhh fuck yooouuu yeeahhh is a helluva drug.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

BulletMagnet wrote:You forgot the ones who think this is how foreign policy works.

In other completely normal non-news, three days after the USPS itself said outright that mail sorting machines were being removed from processing facilities across the country, the White House's Chief of Staff is simply claiming that it's not happening...but also that, if by some strange chance it does happen, it's Obama's fault. :lol:

God, and I still remember when I complained about how much of a suppressive travesty it is that Election Day isn't a federal holiday. Seems positively quaint now that half the country backs a bona fide tin-pot despot. Yeeahhhh fuck yooouuu yeeahhh is a helluva drug.
FedEx and UPS lobbyists are responsible. Give them a taste of their own medicine.

I would love to levy a hefty tax on them and simultaneously require they fund their retirement expenses for 100 years.

The Democrats have to stop being nice. Get blood. Hit back.

They can close their stores to save money. They can a rent building in a bad part of town. People can drive forever to get there. (Just like the USPS situation.)
They can save money. They could cut their salaries and downsize. They could drop delivery days.

They could survive the tax and fund their other accounts. Why not make them do it? It wasn't my idea. I'm just helping them meet their own standards.

You know, after you punch some people in the nose and they discover they can't do anything but bleed, they'll stop f*cking with us. Of course, you have to elect people that will do it.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Soooo... can anyone tell me how much worse things would be at this point had Hillary won the election? Please, someone page Greg or Rancor since they knew so much about it and have been so silent after extolling the virtues of their orange savior. I really want to hear from them how un-american and insulting it is to point out how Trump is leading the USA to a shit-fueled hell in a basked weaved from dried shit. Please.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Mischief Maker wrote:The only people allowed to participate in American politics today are:

1. Grown adults who refuse to believe "The Apprentice" was a make-believe TV show.

2. Grown adults who refuse to believe "The West Wing" was a make-believe TV show.
I know we're a domesticated species and all - it's still amazing the dream-reality of our fiction is what suffices for the world model of so many.

Are you as hyped for John Kasich's speech at the DNC as I am? Besides "noisy man who advertises what we're all doing = bad" do you expect the heel-face turn where the light of the heavens shine down, he pulls the mask off his face, and announces he was a democrat all along? And then he lives his life as a totally different, good man without sin, amen.

Oh shit, that starts tonight. Fuck I've really been doing a good job of ignoring everything.

Anyway that's what I would have happen if I was the one in charge, as it's always a great hook in wrestling. Always gets some buzz no matter how worn out the trope is.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Well if it's drama moments you're looking for, hard to beat the "Dawww!" factor of AOC reuniting with her 2nd grade teacher over the 60 seconds of speech time the "adults in the room" gave her to speak at the DNC:

https://twitter.com/AOC/status/1293681217330712578

BryanM

Post by BryanM »

The whole "fire tornado" thing made me glare and go "that's not a real thing".

It's very apocalypse-like imo.