Prelude to the Apocalypse

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!

Iran War. When.

6%
2022-2025
28%
2026-2030
13%
2031-2040
6%
2041-2050
No votes
Never
47%

Total votes: 53

Koa Zo

Re: Prelude to the Apocalypse

Post by Koa Zo »

Cuilan wrote:The thing about the BLM co-founder buying an expensive house isn't a good look, but not really news-worthy. It would actually be a serious issue if she bought it with money she embezzled from the organization though.
Well that is exactly the tacit suggestion here.
The Right Wing media has been applying innuendo and lies to try to undermine and discredit BLM in every way possible, particular in regards to their financial sources.
Black Lives Matter, Inc is NOT a charity. It is a full-fledged corporation that does NOT have any locations. Can anyone tell me then where the hundreds of millions BLM has raised goes? Can anyone tell me in what state BLM was incorporated & by who?”
Doesn't matter if it isn't true, the Carlson's and Hannity's and wannabe Limbaugh replacements of the USA have continued to play that song for their followers. That front page tabloid trash drives the message home loud and clear.

edit:
This afternoon the fill-in for Rush Limbaugh (Ken Matthews of Central PA) is presently riding this story of the houses purchased while tying it to how Twitter "and the Dems" are silencing free speech by preventing anyone from questioning where the money donated to BLM went to, because in his words "we all know torches don't cost that much", following up on his previous segment that BLM protests are inherently violent and implying that BLM funds the burning of businesses.

Am I wrong in identifying these type of broadcasters as white supremacists?
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

BLM isn't even an organization, it's a movement. A lot of people in a lot of places got fed up and that slogan caught on. Painting it as a singular group where everyone gets marching orders from a leader, and then exposing that leader as corrupt, is a tactic to convince the gullible that the whole thing's motivated by greed and that systemic racism isn't a thing.

I hope this is less obvious to posters outside the US, when I see them post chud-y crap.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Jesus Christ, it's been more than 20 years since "Do the Right Thing" came out, hasn't it?

Everything "Black Lives Matter" is responding to is summed up in Danny Aiello's shrug after the police choke Radio Raheem to death, "you do what you gotta do."

Duuuh, but don't ALL lives matter? Durr...

Snubbed for Best Picture by, I shit you not, "Driving Miss Daisy"
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

At least it wasn't The Blind Side. Liberalism is cultivated top-down, cradle to grave..

Spike Lee makes movies that makes people feel bad, and endorses the wrong presidential candidates. Very uncouth and undecorous.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Mortificator wrote:BLM isn't even an organization, it's a movement.
:lol:
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

It's what, over a year later and cops are still shooting black people for fun. Can't say I'm surprised but it does make me sick.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Mischief Maker wrote:Jesus Christ, it's been more than 20 years since "Do the Right Thing" came out, hasn't it?
Try more than 30 (I always remember the first lyrics in Fight the Power are "1989, a number, another summer.")

We also just passed the 30th anniversary of the Rodney King beating. Next year will be the 10th anniversary of the shooting of Trayvon Martin.

In the mid-2010s I really thought we had turned a corner. Nobody could express racist notions without a public flogging and/or deplatforming. Trans people were on magazine covers. Non-whites were nearing demographic parity. The old order had crumbled and a huge portion of white people were totally on board with that. People must get it by now.

Let's just say I didn't see the Trump era coming. And despite being able to explain it from 12 different angles, I'm still not entirely sure I actually understand it.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Sengoku Strider wrote:And despite being able to explain it from 12 different angles, I'm still not entirely sure I actually understand it.
It's simple! They're trying to re-establish the old social order from the days when men were men!

And to do so, they picked a corpulent mincing old queen slathered in makeup and hairspray, whose greatest passions in life are beauty pageants, Elton John, and interior decorating, who stays up until 3AM every night writing bitchy tweets about celebrity gossip, and they declared him the paragon of traditional masculinity.

...I don't think I understand it either.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Sengoku Strider

Fake-dead DMX seems like he'd be a reliable and trustworthy ally with just the right skill set for the battle against the Moloch-worshipping deep state and their icy geopolitical grip of occult terror. This passes the Occam's razor test imo.
Sengoku Strider

Also, in today's apocalypse-is-nigh news:

BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

The right's scribes certainly are on quite the tear lately, aren't they?
Let's just say I didn't see the Trump era coming. And despite being able to explain it from 12 different angles, I'm still not entirely sure I actually understand it.
Yeeaahhhh fuck yooouuu yeeeahhh.

Boil any and every individual facet of contemporary conservatism down to its essence and tell me if you find anything else of even nominal substance.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I get what you're saying: "I understand on an intellectual level, but not a visceral one." I understand it on a visceral level perfectly though.

Did you guys grow up in an urban setting? The rural/city culture divide is a difference of heaven and hell.
Sengoku Strider wrote:Also, in today's apocalypse-is-nigh news:

wsj.jpg
geez... fuckin' kayfabe nonsense...

The New York Times acted like the amazon vote was completely legitimate and a paragon of democracy. Since that was on my mind, for a brief moment I thought they actually wrote that Black Mansions Matter crap before remembering that the Murdoch Compost was a different thing.
Boil any and every individual facet of contemporary conservatism down to its essence and tell me if you find anything else of even nominal substance.
It's exactly the same as liberalism, except instead of pretending we're not imperial monsters, the conservatives acknowledge that we're monsters, and think that it's a good thing.

Of course the voting bloc is foundationally tribal, ageist, racist, and horny. If you're not getting a slice of the loot and know it, you have to feel like you're at least getting something in exchange for your consent of the status quo.
Steamflogger Boss

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... led-3-kids

Qanon is dangerous shit. Stuff like this is why I try to get people out of it if it's someone I know looking into it.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Know what's dangerous? Guns. I know, I'm a broken record, but the issues never end.
We apologise for the inconvenience
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

If you're a leftie more eager to find common cause with the "populist right" than those icky liberals, you're doing it wrong.

Sengoku Strider

BryanM wrote:I get what you're saying: "I understand on an intellectual level, but not a visceral one." I understand it on a visceral level perfectly though.

Did you guys grow up in an urban setting? The rural/city culture divide is a difference of heaven and hell.
Urban. Though I do kind of get that side of it. Forgive me if I've posted it before, but this article from Cracked of all places laying out the Trump urban/rural divide did a better job of explaining Trumpism than probably anything else I've ever read: https://www.cracked.com/blog/6-reasons- ... lks-about/. Like, when he gives the Iron Man metaphor it suddenly all made total sense to me.

The part of it that never quite resolves is the internal contradiction/hypocrisy. Ok, so it's really about demographic and economic shifts leading to white status anxiety. This generates hate and enough desperation to cling to anything that seems like it has a real shot at reversing the downward spiral. Even "narcissistic failed business man, con artist and self-professed molester Donald Trump seems like the most viable candidate for president of the world's largest economy." Okay.

But if you're wallowing in endless lies, hatred, and lunatic fantasy in the name of preserving your culture and its hegemony, what exactly are you fighting for? It's not that I can't accept that the fear over loss of access to resource and cultural capital will lead people to short circuit on reality. It's that tens of millions of people were not only willing to go along with it, but willing to go so far down into that rabbit hole that Tom Hanks being a vampire became an actual election issue. Like, on the scales of "is this really worth it?" the line was somehow wayyyy past "yeah, sure, I guess I'll go along with believing California is on fire because of Black Lives Matter teaming up with zionist space lasers." It went all the way to nearly half a million Americans dead from covid not mattering, or that even really happening. They gave their lives in sacrifice to keep the 'masks are communism' lie going in the greater name of white supremacy.

You can say it's groupthink, low information citizens and mass insanity arising from a world that doesn't make sense to them anymore. But the thing is, on some level they know. They know and they knew the whole time that they were keeping up a collective web of nonsense. See how many discrepancies they're suddenly acutely aware of when Trump threatens to pop the plandemic fantasy bubble on them:
Spoiler
Incidentally, what's the name of that emotion where you feel schadenfreude, but also want to vomit in disgust at the same time?
Steamflogger Boss

orange808 wrote:Know what's dangerous? Guns. I know, I'm a broken record, but the issues never end.
Well yeah, that seems obvious. Just another week in America with more mass shootings. USA USA USA.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Sengoku Strider wrote:The part of it that never quite resolves is the internal contradiction/hypocrisy.
I worked for the Democratic party during the 2004 election, and I still remember to this day a terrifying Twilight-Zone-esque experience I had. I was out canvassing door-to-door the day after John Edwards was announced as Kerry's running mate. I knocked at one woman's door and she said, "Kerry's running mate is John Edwards?" I responded in the affirmative with a smile (Edwards' public fall from grace was still years away). She shook her head, "I don't know about Edwards, he's a trial lawyer." I shrugged and moved on. The next woman I spoke to asked about Edwards and once again said, "I don't know, he's a trial lawyer." The next house after that, "I don't know about Edwards, he's a trial lawyer." House after house that whole day, all these people all saying the exact same words as if it were their own idea. Pod People shit.

I learned that evening that this was Karl Rove's new anti-Edwards talking point: the reason US Healthcare is so overpriced is because of frivilous Malpractice lawsuits filed by ambulance-chasing trial lawyers like John Edwards! So Fox News dutifully injected that talking point into its audience's pliant brains. And then they thought it was their own idea. "Tell the big lie long enough, it becomes true."

So when you're trying to unravel the cognitive dissonance of MAGA/Q, you might be grappling with a trick question. It may just be these people believe crazy things because they were told to believe it. Full stop.

BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Sengoku Strider wrote:But the thing is, on some level they know. They know and they knew the whole time that they were keeping up a collective web of nonsense.
Of course they know, and of course they always have.

As has been noted myriad times before, they are, invariably, willing to say they believe all this nonsense so long as it's convenient for them, offering yet another opportunity to own the libs - even when one of their theories is debunked so badly that they can't openly espouse it anymore, their response will inevitably be "lol, those lefties actually took us Literally Not Seriously, just more evidence of how they're ruled by contempt for Real Americans and knee-jerk liberal hysteria." And then they move on effortlessly to the next one and start the process over. They never second-guess where they've been, let alone apologize. They never put forth this shit in good faith.

Yeeahhhh fuck yooouuu yeeaahhh all the way down. You can use a lot of words to describe the motivations of the contemporary right, but "complicated" and "difficult to understand" are not even remotely among them.
Incidentally, what's the name of that emotion where you feel schadenfreude, but also want to vomit in disgust at the same time?
Shat-on-freude?
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

If people were rational, they'd be libertarians or leftists or doomers. Something with a coherent world model.

Liberalism and fascism can never be proven wrong, they can only have "electoral setbacks". When Ron Paul said that our foreign policy was a reason so many people hate us, that was not what America wanted to hear.

They wanna hear 'murica, fuck yeah.

-----

...... still blown away that humans spend tens of thousands of hours of their lives watching movies and TV and they spend zero thought on it. You read these red letter media comments about how "noone in my life will spend like an hour talking about movies with me" and I totally empathize - how do you spend nearly 100% of your free time doing an activity without engaging in it? It's seriously messed up that I have a thousand times much to say about using the toilet, than the average person does on why they like a particular movie or whatever.
BulletMagnet wrote:Of course they know, and of course they always have.

Yeeahhhh fuck yooouuu yeeaahhh all the way down. You can use a lot of words to describe the motivations of the contemporary right, but "complicated" and "difficult to understand" are not even remotely among them.
You seem to be really angry liberals keep losing to these people and not very angry that capitalists have brought us to the collapse of civilization.

Tons of right wing people aren't fascists and are as lib as they come: "A rising tide lifts all boats" "wealth isn't a zero sum game" etc etc. Shit you'd hear right out of a (future president) Peter Buttigieg or (future never president) Julián Castro speech. That's around 50% of their base. ie: As equally responsible for the current state of the republican party as the fascists and the social liberals are.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Well I think we need to be careful with how amorphous the term "liberal" has become in US politics. For almost the entirety of the 80s and 90s, "liberal" just meant leftist, not an adherent of Milton Friedman's laissez-faire neoliberalism. If you're not extremely online, your "proud liberal" coffee mug could simply be an affirmation of leftist values in the face of a right-leaning mainstream.

My mom and dad are good union liberals who are not extremely online (my Dad met Bernie Sanders in person and gave him a donation at Fighting Bob Fest years before Bernie was huge) and were shocked listening to me rant about "liberals" during the 2020 primary because they never got the memo about the post-Thomas-Frank liberal/leftist delineation online. "But we're liberals!"

See also: "Boomer" as an epithet.

BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Yeah I know normies don't know anything. I'd just explain the donor class and that everything else is just made for TV entertainment as a primer. It's hard to pretend you're the "good guy" when your guy's receiving their money from the same people as the guy who you hate is.

It still surprised me when a guy mentioned here he was shocked when Hillary applauded Trump's missile strike on Syria, and she howled for more blood for the blood god. It's not like she was exactly subtle about it - she screamed constantly she wanted a "no-fly zone" in Syria, which requires invading the place and placing down a lot of anti-air artillery. (And then in the very next sentence claimed she wanted "no boots on the ground".)

I guess this is this week's story of bipartisanship.

The most I dared hope for was an extra one of these apocalypse checks a year. 2/12's of a UBI, that'd be progress!

... the thing I hate most about the apocalypse is those "aw shucks, I know things are tough but we're all in this together! (Now give us your money.)" type ads. Nothing is really free..
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

For whatever it's worth when I made that post I was just using the terminology you usually hear from the right ("liberal hysteria", "own the libs"), but thinking about it a bit later on I said to myself "...I bet that'll earn me at least one Inigo Montoya reply."

So yeah. :P
Sengoku Strider

Getting back to the actual apocalypse: if you had the time-travelling Trump family, 8-dimensional reality, CERN God particles & micro black holes, and Shaivism being a scam run by a demon on your Revelations bingo card you hit the jackpot:

As much as it sucks that QAnon is destroying families with all the crazy, I must say it is an absolute content gold mine.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

That's uh, some very bad Steins;Gate fanfiction there, Strider.

(The third game in the series is coming out sometime next year, Steins;???. I'm not really hyped for it, it's just been so long since the franchise was new and shiny, haven't gotten through the animation for Zero yet.. but should be a thing relevant to my interests. Old Reliable, like how they kept going back to the well with DoDonpachi or Persona.)

If coherency is the product of a rational mind, incoherency would be the obvious product of an irrational mind. With my superhuman hyperrationalist brain, I always rationalize that the 10 people who voted "it's never gonna happen" on the Iran War we've been told is going to happen all our lives, they think we're all going to be dead before it comes to that. When obviously not all of them think that. Hence I fall into the trap of many rational people: that other people are at least a little bit rational.

/BryanM reads the SHMUPs "covid was made in a lab post"

.... sigh. Why does everything that happens, has to have some anthropomorphic story behind it. Sometimes shit happens. Hydrogen exists somehow, I'm rather pissed about it, but life goes on.
Steamflogger Boss

*logs off*
Steamflogger Boss

Sengoku Strider

Just a quick check-in to see how the long slow descent into Bioshock is going:
Spoiler
Proceeding apace.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Condolences. Image It's so hard to look away from outside though! Granted my particular country hasn't been exploded by US munitions, or enslaved by the cunts left to run it after GI Joe and Action Man fucked off back home, so I shouldn't laugh. 3; There by the grace of God goes someone else, etc etc.

I was surprised to learn the reason Goya's more despairing works often featured owls (cf "The Sleep Of Reason Gives Rise To Monsters") was because in his culture, they were considered a symbol not of wisdom but foolishness. What I took away from the lesson is that if birds like it, it must be bad. Image
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Ah, feeling a little down that a guy who made a song I like is coo-coo for MAGA. Doubly sad that he thinks that's why he's not popular - hundreds of thousands of men and women have worked harder on their hobby for no fame. Without advertising you're nothing, with advertising, you're god.

Also lol at Christy going for another big L in a primary. You don't come back from being polite to Obama for two minutes! Anyway.

There is a lot of truth to being complicit in the status quo through inaction. A conversation I had about 15 years ago with a conservative on a forum is something I always think back to when this comes up:

"If they believe global warming is real and this serious, why don't they do more about it?"

A very good question. I replied with the obvious "what more can they do? Eco-terrorism? Cut open some oil pipes with an ax?" (These days, I would have added "emigrate to China or India to work on their thorium research projects?") There's not much of a useful gradient between useless whining (a privilege that I'm still grateful that the liberal ideology understands is impotent and harmless to their dictatorship, useless as it is) and going fullblown John Brown.