Prelude to the Apocalypse

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!

Iran War. When.

6%
2022-2025
28%
2026-2030
13%
2031-2040
6%
2041-2050
No votes
Never
48%

Total votes: 54

BryanM

Re: Prelude to the Apocalypse

Post by BryanM »

BIL wrote:You are correct that I did not realise that's what's being proposed in Burgerland.
Eh, like abortion it's moved a bit past the talking stage.

You're not allowed to wear a dress in public if you're a boy while participating in putting on a show in Tennessee. As of February of this year.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, the Well There's Your Problem guys had to cancel their planned show at the Grand Ole Opry house. This is a podcast about engineering disasters. Can't host a show in Tennessee because one of them calls themselves "Alice" and prefers the girl pronouns.

These are all interconnected as part of a wider suppression effort. There are things like how teachers can't even admit that they're gay to their students, that would humanize the gays too much after all.

It's getting bad, man. A teacher asked his superintendent if saying "slavery is wrong" is something that he could do, and she said I'm not sure that sounds like an opinion so probably not. A teacher got fired for showing the statue of David to her students, like in that Simpsons episode.

It's gonna get worse before it gets worse.

----

Shit, now you got me thinking about the first male teacher I ever had. I know nothing about his personal life, but Mr.A was a really chill dude.

He's either dead or senile now. Along with most other teachers I had..

I googled him, and all I got is he retired from teaching and became a pastor again. Not once in that entire year do I remember him preaching to us, and I 100% remember my sixth grade teacher scoffing at the idea "we came from monkeys" when the curriculum reached the topic of evolution. So like I said, a good guy.

I heard that he got in some hot water from some bitch ass parents when he showed Jurassic Park during one of the movie days, not realizing it was rated R. Like anyone could be blamed for that. One severed arm, man... one severed arm.

He definitely dodged a bullet when I offered to let him show the class Elvira Mistress of the Dark. I had the tape with me and everything!

.. wait the internet says Jurassic Park was rated PG-13 what bitch ass parents are worried about their eleven year olds watching that....
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

BIL wrote:I trust you have read it in full?
Oh heck no, I'm not multi-threading here unless you're paying. I'm union. I have a dedicated allocation of hours.
I also recommend Cruising Utopia, cited in that same post, to appreciate the full fucking, sucking, fisting depth of the authors' ideological moorings.
I'm sure I've got the gist, the paper in question brings it and its author up like 20 times. But honestly, that's not that unusual for the field. It's adults talking to adults, in an area where talking around sex rather than directly about it becomes kind of pointless.

It's the comparative literature folks who are the true degenerates. At least these people are talking about actual sex, not fisting similes or whatever.
The premise of heteronormative and "queer" norms as co-eminent, the latter unfairly marginalised, is pure wish-thinking. The margin is where it will always dwell, for nothing more sinister than shitty old biological reality. The word itself, "queer" (unusual, extraordinary, "I saw the queerest thing today") is a big hint.

A school isn't promoting dominant gender expression by reading Dick and Jane, any more than people are promoting dominant ambulatory expression by gallivanting around on their fancy pairs of legs. That's the paradigm.
This is where history kicks in, it doesn't need to be viewed as abnormal or marginal at all. There have been plenty of societies throughout history where it wasn't. Hell, some of them were apparently even Islamic. This really is one of those instances where the lines between state ideology of a particular time and place and formalized education become pretty clear once it's all laid out. The objections became much more pronounced once religious groups started seeing it as part of the shifting social sands of modernity undermining their influence. It was such a non/side issue that Jesus never even mentioned it once. This was a guy who found time to get in arguments with fig trees and diss people who told him to wash his hands before dinner for not putting their unruly children to death. He would have brought it up.
The paper is soaked through in ideological activism, with the sexualisation of small children as its vector. There's no need to cherry pick when the entire tree is so easily felled.
This is one of those common misconceptions people have about academia. The ideological activism is fine if one is honest about it, a paper is supposed to argue a point. It's when people try to pretend they're talking about social issues from some mystical place beyond space and time that you need to raise an eyebrow. Which these authors do not do:
That Paper wrote:We write this article from the standpoint of an education scholar and former elementary educator (Harper Keenan) and a doctoral student in media studies who is a DQSH queen and organizer (Lil Miss Hot Mess). Given these positions, we make no effort to hide our bias: we are both supporters of this programme, and Lil Miss Hot Mess is involved in its leadership. Our purpose, then, is to make use of our unique positions as scholar-practitioners to highlight the pedagogical elements of DQSH that may not be immediately obvious to its audiences.
Scholars acknowledged decades ago that no matter what you do, particularly where things overlap with the contemporary social sphere, you're going to be speaking from one place or another that's going to be political (ie. objectionable) to someone. The issue here isn't whether the paper is trying to effect change in society, that's literally their job and the point of the work in the first place. The place to interrogate a paper is with the logic behind the individual arguments they're making.
Ha, lmao, yeah, imagine reading things!
80% of people only read headlines, and I'd bet the number of of academic journal readers who have time to read beyond an abstract for things not directly related to their specialization is much lower than that. In a field like that one, putting saucy words on the first page is the equivalent of clickbait.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Disney pushed through new rules for their special district in Florida after publishing the details in the newspaper for public review beforehand (they followed procedures). They embarrassed DeSantis in the process. DeSantis was going to seat a new board with his own people to direct Disney's special district, so the current board stripped themselves of authority last month--and published everything (as required) for public review last month (early February). The public review period passed with no public objections or comments. Not one of the (oh so clever) Republicans in the entire state of Florida noticed. Not one even thought to watch Disney--even as they waged war against them.

LMAO!!!! They had a scheduled public meeting and discussed it. Anyone could attend, but no Republicas did. Went in print last month and they didn't even notice! Not even one of them! Went to war and didn't even bother to watch their opponent. LMAO!!

So smart!

It proves that Republicans in America are stupid and thick people that aren't fit to handle complex jobs like governance (or any sort of complicated thinking). DeSantis and his moron minions are too stupid and lazy to look out the windscreen or hold the steering wheel. They have no idea what's ahead.

DeSantis wants to be president and he just got outwitted by Goofy and Mickey Mouse. What a rube. :D

Good leadership doesn't fall asleep at the wheel. What a dumbass.
We apologise for the inconvenience
BIL

Post by BIL »

BryanM wrote:These are all interconnected as part of a wider suppression effort. There are things like how teachers can't even admit that they're gay to their students, that would humanize the gays too much after all.
I'm sure the backlash to this insanity is going to catch a lot of harmless people in its wake. The American deep south being what it is, I'm not surprised at all to hear the reactionaries are having a field day.
Sengoku Strider wrote:
BIL wrote:I trust you have read it in full?
Oh heck no, I'm not multi-threading here unless you're paying. I'm union. I have a dedicated allocation of hours.
I'd hope you'd read an argument you're acting as a proponent of, however casually.
I also recommend Cruising Utopia, cited in that same post, to appreciate the full fucking, sucking, fisting depth of the authors' ideological moorings.
I'm sure I've got the gist, the paper in question brings it and its author up like 20 times.
Having read their work, and your posts, I think you're overlooking a great deal.
But honestly, that's not that unusual for the field. It's adults talking to adults, in an area where talking around sex rather than directly about it becomes kind of pointless.

It's the comparative literature folks who are the true degenerates. At least these people are talking about actual sex, not fisting similes or whatever.
The mutual analingus society that is Western academia, and the even more deranged clown-show it's become over the last ~15 years, isn't the issue in this particular case. The trouble is, as always, its unchecked overspill into mean old reality, with its boring things like consequence and repercussion. David Reimer, the poor bastard, is a decent shorthand here.
This is where history kicks in, it doesn't need to be viewed as abnormal or marginal at all. There have been plenty of societies throughout history where it wasn't. Hell, some of them were apparently even Islamic.
You could've cited present-day India and its Hijras (and perhaps, for balance, India's horrific contempt for women's rights). It doesn't change the innately fringe quality of the queer milieu. Which isn't some condemnation on my part, in case I need to stress that. Albinos are an outlier, as well. In parts of Africa, they're hunted down by witch doctors for their organs. I'm about as impressed by calls to ban gay marriage or shun queer people from public view as I am witch doctors. Or witch finders.

This doesn't necessitate the "queering" of children, and more than it does the "straightening" of them.
This really is one of those instances where the lines between state ideology of a particular time and place and formalized education become pretty clear once it's all laid out. The objections became much more pronounced once religious groups started seeing it as part of the shifting social sands of modernity undermining their influence. It was such a non/side issue that Jesus never even mentioned it once. This was a guy who found time to get in arguments with fig trees and diss people who told him to wash his hands before dinner for not putting their unruly children to death. He would have brought it up.
I'm a proponent of Cool Bro Jebus too. I don't think he'd have had anything to say about gays, certainly not chucking them off buildings. I think anyone who reads the canonical accounts of his life and teachings and comes away with that mindset is looking for pretext where it doesn't exist.

But even the coolest, broest Jebus says point-blank to send those who would corrupt children swimming with a brick. \(O_O)/

So I'm doubly bemused by this latest strawman. The human imperative to protect one's children from predators isn't some Christian innovation. It's not a Muslim one, either. It's quite literally as basic-bitch as it gets.

This is where reading would've ideally kicked in, as you may think I'm overreaching for the word "predator," when in reality, after an exceedingly charitable reading of this paper and the work it cites as its wellspring, it's more of a euphemism on my part.
The paper is soaked through in ideological activism, with the sexualisation of small children as its vector. There's no need to cherry pick when the entire tree is so easily felled.
This is one of those common misconceptions people have about academia. The ideological activism is fine if one is honest about it, a paper is supposed to argue a point. It's when people try to pretend they're talking about social issues from some mystical place beyond space and time that you need to raise an eyebrow. Which these authors do not do:
That Paper wrote:We write this article from the standpoint of an education scholar and former elementary educator (Harper Keenan) and a doctoral student in media studies who is a DQSH queen and organizer (Lil Miss Hot Mess). Given these positions, we make no effort to hide our bias: we are both supporters of this programme, and Lil Miss Hot Mess is involved in its leadership. Our purpose, then, is to make use of our unique positions as scholar-practitioners to highlight the pedagogical elements of DQSH that may not be immediately obvious to its audiences.
Scholars acknowledged decades ago that no matter what you do, particularly where things overlap with the contemporary social sphere, you're going to be speaking from one place or another that's going to be political (ie. objectionable) to someone. The issue here isn't whether the paper is trying to effect change in society, that's literally their job and the point of the work in the first place. The place to interrogate a paper is with the logic behind the individual arguments they're making.
The fuck am I reading :shock:

1] "Psh! These commoners haven't read the literature!"

2] "Psh! Imagine these commoners, reading the literature!"

I'm quite aware of academia's context, and the Bacchanalian excesses they're tailored to accommodate. I've contributed a few myself, prior to flying the coop in a cloud of dried lube. The issue, once again, is the parachuting of what we euphemistically refer to as adult entertainers into small children's classrooms, under the guise of a humanitarian mission to avert "genocide."

Unlike the last word of the preceding paragraph, this isn't metaphor, or theory, or rhetoric. That's literally what is being proposed here, and subsequently, being done. It's pure activism, or "praxis," I suppose (where's my astroglide gone?).

That the "homophobia" angle is the most cynical of chaff would be obvious, even to those who haven't done DQSH the credit of reading their manifesto. We've had decades of that, over here.

"Why are the police ignoring organised gangs of Pakistani child-rapists?" "What did you say about Islam, bigot?!"

That bubble did eventually burst, after atrocious cost. Actually, that's the wrong metaphor. It was more like a vomiting up by a body politic wracked with nausea, in defiance of the to-this-day addled brain.

Having read DQSH? Batting away strawmen of civil rights struggles and religious persecutions aside, they are refreshingly blunt. An extremist minority within a minority is aggressively pursuing direct access to small children via the schools. That's a "yikes" from me, Redditbro, and it's a "yikes" from a vast, multi-partisan swathe of other parents (that pesky basic-bitchery again), amounting to Current Year: a horrible backlash that's going to leave my happy 90s/00s world in ashes, because some terminally smug fuckwits gone insane on their own fumes escaped the university's romper room and got into the real world, and freighted their opposite numbers unending trainloads of bloody red meat.

As with Bryan's point re: the overturning of universal abortion access down in Burgerland, we've gone well beyond theory at this point. This is more like watching shit burn down in real-time.
Ha, lmao, yeah, imagine reading things!
80% of people only read headlines, and I'd bet the number of of academic journal readers who have time to read beyond an abstract for things not directly related to their specialization is much lower than that. In a field like that one, putting saucy words on the first page is the equivalent of clickbait.
Reading is fundamental. Image
Last edited by BIL on Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sengoku Strider

BIL wrote:This is where reading would've ideally kicked in, as you may think I'm overreaching for the word "predator," when in reality, after an exceedingly charitable reading of this paper and the work it cites as its wellspring, it's more of a euphemism on my part.
Because I've already said why I'm not on board with this interpretation of these events. You're conflating a lot of things here. These people are not inherently adult entertainers any more than Conan O'Brien is. Maybe they do other performances with blue material, maybe they just do Mariah Carey songs on open mic night at the local drag bar. Either way this doesn't mean it's brought with them into story time at the local library.

More to the point, the whole aim of presenting drag here isn't buttsex for all or creating a world suffused with the beauty of mandatory genital mutilation or sometihng. The article we keep batting around spells out as much, that trans and drag are not the same thing. Gay and drag aren't the same thing. Someone can be into drag and be asexual. Someone can be straight as a pin but still feel that dressing outside of code has personal meaning to them, a sentiment which I for one am staunchly for because frankly I don't want to live in a world where women are denied booty shorts because they're too much like manly lederhosen or something.

But most importantly, this isn't about 'sexualizing children.' They're the audience here, not on display. This isn't about making them gay or planting seeds of lust to breed dutch oven enthusiasts. The term queer here is being written within the context of queer theory, where it's used to demonstrate how blurry the limits of prescribed gender boundaries already are. It doesn't mean nobody's allowed to have any. This was even a core tenet of Jordan Peterson's hero CG Jung (which JP most queerly forgot about once the cameras came calling). I think you'd actually probably be into a lot of it, Foucault hated identity politics because he thought it just entrenched the notions he was trying to dismantle.

>>>BUT<<<

Let me wrap up here clarifying where I probably agree with you.

Are there weirdos doing weird things with this? I mentioned in a previous post, undoubtedly yes. But to me that speaks to a need to more rigorously vet these events, rather than the necessity of doing away with them altogether. Anything putting a person in some position of authority over vulnerable populations should.

Should it be opt-in, rather than just put in front of kids? Yes, it's clearly a hot button issue and we're talking about democracies in which parents who aren't into this stuff pay the taxes that fund schools and libraries too.

Is there an agenda within this field that causes it to play fast & loose with things? Yes. Critical theory fields love to complain about colonialism while simultaneously colonizing language in every direction they can. Whatever the pet term they've built their field around undergoes a process of combinatory explosion and becomes the ur-explanation tied into everything, and suddenly turning Proctor & Gamble mega-gay is the only way to defeat climate change.

Do the social dynamics of these fields suppress counter-arguments and allow faulty reasoning to come through? Oh God yes, all the time.

Do some of these people actively want to build a free love post-gender 'necrophiliacs are people too' weirdtopia? Indubitably. But they're much more fringe than they'd like you to believe, and moral panics aren't the way to deal with them. That just ends up Streisanding them into prominence as counter-culture lightning rods.

Are there genuine concerns around the sexualization of children? Yeah, and society doesn't have the tools to deal with this yet. We figured out that sexual abuse of minors has major consequences, and that there are multiple ways for that to happen that don't involve touching. But the upshot of this was we went from a world where getting married at 15 was perfectly normal to a world where a 19 year old asking out a 17 year old is the devil wearing human skin. Somewhere there has to be a way to talk about this stuff that doesn't go to 11 every time, because it ends up silencing victims who don't want to be seen as broken tortured souls when they're still processing exactly how they feel about it, or just trying to make it through life. I'm trying not to go into a side tangent about Afrika Bambaata and Kendrick Lamar here.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

Spoiler
Spoiler
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
BIL wrote:This is where reading would've ideally kicked in, as you may think I'm overreaching for the word "predator," when in reality, after an exceedingly charitable reading of this paper and the work it cites as its wellspring, it's more of a euphemism on my part.
Because I've already said why I'm not on board with this interpretation of these events. You're conflating a lot of things here. These people are not inherently adult entertainers any more than Conan O'Brien is. Maybe they do other performances with blue material, maybe they just do Mariah Carey songs on open mic night at the local drag bar. Either way this doesn't mean it's brought with them into story time at the local library.

More to the point, the whole aim of presenting drag here isn't buttsex for all or creating a world suffused with the beauty of mandatory genital mutilation or sometihng. The article we keep batting around spells out as much, that trans and drag are not the same thing. Gay and drag aren't the same thing. Someone can be into drag and be asexual. Someone can be straight as a pin but still feel that dressing outside of code has personal meaning to them, a sentiment which I for one am staunchly for because frankly I don't want to live in a world where women are denied booty shorts because they're too much like manly lederhosen or something.
This is the wackiest strawman yet, it's got integrated hydraulics and everything. Thanks, I realise they're not offering lessons on anal prep or HIV prophylaxis.
But most importantly, this isn't about 'sexualizing children.' They're the audience here, not on display. This isn't about making them gay or planting seeds of lust to breed dutch oven enthusiasts. The term queer here is being written within the context of queer theory, where it's used to demonstrate how blurry the limits of prescribed gender boundaries already are. It doesn't mean nobody's allowed to have any. This was even a core tenet of Jordan Peterson's hero CG Jung (which JP most queerly forgot about once the cameras came calling). I think you'd actually probably be into a lot of it, Foucault hated identity politics because he thought it just entrenched the notions he was trying to dismantle.
While I'm sure you didn't realise it - because you're working from an incomplete reading - that "seeding" canard is remarkably obscurantist; and like all obscurantisms, it paints a handy bullseye on what it was intended to hide.

The premise of DQSH is that small children - meaning three and up - have a latent sexuality that can, and for the good of LGBT people, must be influenced by early exposure to "queer modes of being and knowing," in order to secure the existence of queer people and a future for queer children.

There is no external delivery premised here, at all, by DQSH or even myself. It is about the development of what is presumed to exist in latent form.

I know all too well that "queer" has evolved a slippery outer layer, facilitating quick squirming escape into the wilds of "gender." But the silly thing can't help returning to its origins. DQSH aren't suggesting boys with a passion for dressmaking, or girls fascinated by aeronautical engineering, should be treated more kindly by an uncaring heteronormative system. This isn't Armani or Boeing Story Hour. They want them to sing along to "the hips on the drag queen go swish-swish-swish."

I don't respect or adhere to John Money's pigswill, which you, too, can read, if you like. "Gender" was only ever a wish-thinking euphemism from a borderline nonce. Still, even in the most charitable reading possible, it is an intrusion of adult sexuality into the world of children.

I can practically hear the teeth hitting the pavement as I type this, but to put a fine point on it: this was never, ever going to go down well with parents. "Can you believe they're coming after drag queens?!" ...yes?
Let me wrap up here clarifying where I probably agree with you.

Are there weirdos doing weird things with this? I mentioned in a previous post, undoubtedly yes. But to me that speaks to a need to more rigorously vet these events, rather than the necessity of doing away with them altogether. Anything putting a person in some position of authority over vulnerable populations should.

Should it be opt-in, rather than just put in front of kids? Yes, it's clearly a hot button issue and we're talking about democracies in which parents who aren't into this stuff pay the taxes that fund schools and libraries too.
The trouble is, even this baseline common sense is howlingly cast down as X-phobic by not only DQSH, but their proponents in the mainstream media. I do appreciate 90% and rising of us are now Very Bad People, one way or another. Image
Is there an agenda within this field that causes it to play fast & loose with things? Yes. Critical theory fields love to complain about colonialism while simultaneously colonizing language in every direction they can. Whatever the pet term they've built their field around undergoes a process of combinatory explosion and becomes the ur-explanation tied into everything, and suddenly turning Proctor & Gamble mega-gay is the only way to defeat climate change.

Do the social dynamics of these fields suppress counter-arguments and allow faulty reasoning to come through? Oh God yes, all the time.

Do some of these people actively want to build a free love post-gender 'necrophiliacs are people too' weirdtopia? Indubitably. But they're much more fringe than they'd like you to believe.
As with male rapists in female prisons, or males in any female space, frankly, I don't care to countenance the possibility at all. It's not worth endangering the vulnerable; certainly not to validate the next crop of John Moneys, no matter how histrionically they proclaim that barring Miss Bang Bang Hashimoto (aka Jeff) from the classroom is going to unleash genocide.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Grand Jury voted to indict today.

We have entered the "find out" phase.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

What a shit show this is going to be.

Any of you who think I'm joking or that it's impossible for us to elect a president that's in prison have a security blanket wrapped around your heads. Mirror world Eugene Debs.
To Far Away Times

I would like to think this makes him unelectable to moderates. Not the embarrassed conservatives, but the actual, true moderates.

Perception is a big thing. While Trump's crimes with blackmailing Ukraine and Jan 6 are more abhorrent, he was able to spin the narrative (along with a dedicated push from Fox News) that because his party fell in lockstep behind him - and would toss all morals away for their leader - that he wasn't guilty. It wasn't convincing, but it was enough to keep his base from being too introspective. He can't do that with this. These charges aren't even all that unprecedented. Former Dem VP nominee John Edwards got indicted for, wait for it... using campaign financing to make hush money payments to cover up an affair in an election cycle. And that was like 10 years ago.

Trump's got 30% of the country that would probably vote for him even if he was currently in prison. Those people, the dumbest of the dumb, are hopeless. But that doesn't win an election.

Ron DeFacist is probably their candidate now. But what plays well to Florida probably doesn't play well on a national stage. Florida is the butt of many jokes for a reason.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Your optimism is quite high. These moderates had no problem whatsoever with him saying Mexico was sending us its rapists and murderers : D

It's blatantly clear there is no such thing as a "moderate", and there never was. There are just people who call themselves "moderates". That is a lie. A cover. A platitude. A ruse. A social grooming tool.

As Strider says, everyone is ideological. Wanting everything to stay exactly the same which is what these "moderates" claim to want, means we continue going in exactly the same direction that we've been. More for the banks, the energy corporations, etc etc.

Trump is square smack in the middle of that. Fits right in with that agenda. A "centrist", if you will.

A "moderate" is someone who does what the TV tells them to do, and thinks of themselves as non-ideological.

Non-ideological. After Clinton blowing the election. After Covid. After the start of hyper inflation. After 130+ degree summers where hoards of cows are fuckin' dropping dead in feed lots.

If Trump makes it to the general and gets blown out, it'll be like 44% to 54% at very most. And I imagine most of that would be from some boomers dying off, not from being in prison which one would consider based and cool. There is no way that he gets 2 to 1'd.
Ron DeFacist is probably their candidate now.
Ha... you haven't heard him speak I guess. Ron can lose the primary no matter how hard the TV tries to push him.

Especially if the circus keeps turning the spotlight on to Don. People really don't get this, do they... giving him attention will never weaken him, it only makes him stronger. It's not like Corbyn where he's supposed to be some kind of good guy... he's a republican. A republican.

Trump's primary weakness in the primary is that his novelty is beginning to wear off. New things are new, old things are old. But he'll always be ten thousand times more appealing to the part of the base that doesn't pull home six figures every year, than whatever Romney-robot they try to defeat him with.
moderates
Argh, I want to spit on these people some more p'toie p'toie.

Just imagine being so divorced from the blood and guts of reality, that you'd be offended that there'd be conflict in politics. In politics. "There shouldn't be any conflict in politics!" Just imagine being one of these people.

If they truly believed in nothing, they'd be nihilists and wouldn't vote or watch TV!

Nihilists = Respectable and based

Moderates = Liars and lame

The "swing voter" is also almost entirely a myth made up by the talking heads, as well. All of this stuff is a bunch of brainwashing crap to say "Hey, if you vote for one of the two options we're giving you, you're a smart, reasonable person. Not like those other people."

"You're not like those other girls." It's freakin' pillow talk, man. A pick up artist move.

The most basic fundamental tactic of any salesguy to get gullible idiots to give you money: compliment the mark.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I guess I'm a little confused. On this current Trump indictment, he's being arrested and charged for using campaign finances to pay off some porn star? Presumably so she wouldn't spill the beans on them having sex to his wife?

I dunno man, kinda seems like the porn star should have been arrested for blackmail too. Not sure I would buy her saying she wasn't up to some shit herself. I get why using campaign finances to hush up a sex scandal is bad, but it seems like the least of crimes that Trump could have been charged with. Sounds to me like an admission they couldn't nail Trump legally on the other, bigger shit.
Spoiler
Also, I have *cough cough* maybe watched porn once or twice in my life, and I can't recall ever hearing of a "Stormy Daniels." :lol:
And no, the Republicans are not going to field a candidate more appealing than Trump. The Republicans have zero interest in working class Americans and even less in poor people. That's why they always bring out the ivory tower, sheltered rich fucks like Romney and Dubya. I'd argue the Republicans goal is to field shittier and shittier candidates every election cycle and then try to hypnotize voters into putting them into office anyway. Any sort of populist candidate who suggests making life better for working class poor people gets shut down motherfucking hard by BOTH parties.
BIL

Post by BIL »

BryanM wrote:Just imagine being so divorced from the blood and guts of reality, that you'd be offended that there'd be conflict in politics. In politics. "There shouldn't be any conflict in politics!" Just imagine being one of these people.
Sadly, this is a universal constant. One of my favourite political awakenings of recent years was the No Borders Ever gay white dude, who got disembowelled at the Manchester Arena by an ISIS suicide bomber (edit: who'd been smuggled into Britain amidst the chaos of a dubious war started not by Dubya, or even Orange Man, but the latter's BFF, Brown Man!). Another is the Assata Shakur cosplayer who demanded policing cutbacks, then had her head blown off at close range by Peckham gangbangers in front of thirty eyewitnesses, none of whom will talk.

There's tons more, the right most definitely included. Those two are just some of the more visceral. Some would argue the Tennessee atrocity was karma for lax gun ownership, though I'd be a hypocrite to join them (apparently the crazy bitch declined to attack a school with armed security, and best believe I was strapped when living with my Crazy Racist Uncle in Florida for a stretch - we're farm people, the Varmint Blaster is our God-given birthright Image).

People of all stripes love to advocate for things that fuck up other people, as long as it gets them their dopamine and/or material rewards. Sometimes it blows back on them, but not nearly often enough to disabuse the majority.
Last edited by BIL on Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

To Far Away Times wrote:I would like to think this makes him unelectable to moderates. Not the embarrassed conservatives, but the actual, true moderates.
This was supposed to have happened in both 2016 and 2020. The "center" was supposed to finally put its foot down and say "this candidate, and the party that unfailingly falls in behind him, is simply not an option". But the decades of shady finances and proudly exploiting working people weren't a dealbreaker. Neither was "grab 'em by the pussy". Neither was staffing the executive branch and judiciary with fascists and white supremacists. Neither was cozying up to every authoritarian on the planet. Neither was yet another indefensible tax cut to the ultra-rich. Neither was the constant winking at QAnon. Neither was gassing peaceful protestors to hold up a Bible in front of the cameras. Neither was attempting to blackmail Ukraine. Neither was the disastrous Covid response. Neither was telling Georgia's secretary of state to "find" the votes he needed to win. Neither was the Capitol riot. Neither were the classified documents he stole. And that's just a very brief sampling.

If you think, after all that, the Stormy Daniels payoff - which is hardly a revelation to begin with - will somehow be what finally gets the center off its infinitely complacent ass, I'd love to know why.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

It's almost like actual people in the real world are just Democrats and Republicans.

On a more upbeat note of our doomed rock, there's this youtuber guy who has this bit about a 90's Reporter Guy traveling forward to the future, which is the present. The videos alternate in tone between how astonished he is by various wonders, and how horrified he is by how fucked everything is going.

I just like how relentlessly cheerful it all is.

Also I'm weak to 90's nostalgia (the last time anything good ever happened) as the end of days draws closer.
Sima Tuna wrote:I guess I'm a little confused. On this current Trump indictment, he's being arrested and charged for using campaign finances to pay off some porn star?
Falsified some business reports or something to hide the ~130k or whatever. Yeah it's lame but they won't charge him on any of the stuff they want to be able to do themselves. The actual charges aren't public yet but they won't be more than that. I'm sure he'll get a big bounce in the polls once he's acquitted or fined $5k, whatever.
BIL

Post by BIL »

BryanM wrote:Also I'm weak to 90's nostalgia (the last time anything good ever happened)
Nothing makes me want to eat a gun (mmm, nitrocellulose!) like thinking back to the pre-9/11 90s 3; 3; 3; Remember when the biggest political scandal was "Ah did NAWT hayave willeh-in-poontang relations with thayat wuhuman (she jus sucked mah deeyick, mmm she suck a good deeyick)" ?

I mean I know the guy was a fucking Epstein Island regular chomo, but at least we could pretend MURICA was STRAWNG, right? 3;
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

BryanM wrote:
Sima Tuna wrote:I guess I'm a little confused. On this current Trump indictment, he's being arrested and charged for using campaign finances to pay off some porn star?
Falsified some business reports or something to hide the ~130k or whatever. Yeah it's lame but they won't charge him on any of the stuff they want to be able to do themselves. The actual charges aren't public yet but they won't be more than that. I'm sure he'll get a big bounce in the polls once he's acquitted or fined $5k, whatever.
It just seems pretty fucking weaksauce to me. Like, all these mega-rich fucks are doing heinous shit all day erry day and you're arresting the Orange for paying off some hooker. Sure, it's bad to pay off hos and it's bad to use campaign funds to do it. But on the scale of shit the rich get away with every day, it barely registers a single eyebrow lift. The same people arresting Trump for this shit think I don't know about Epstein island and all the cocaine parties? Rich people would eat babies in public if they could find a way to get society accepting it.
orange808

Post by orange808 »

kinda seems like the porn star should have been arrested for blackmail too.
Her lawyer Michael Avenatti was arrested for extortion.

However, in this case, everyone says that Trump's people suggested the payment. So, it's not blackmail.

The official story is, she said "I'm telling everyone" and went silent. Panicked, Trump immediately offered money and legal settlement. She sued later to get out the deal. In superficial terms, it's not blackmail because there's no evidence she asked for anything. The money was Trump's idea.

Obviously, Nike was not frightened and they didn't suggest any remedy. They cleverly baited Avenatti, got him to make specific demands, and made sure they had enough evidence to lock his ass up for decades.

Anyhow, everyone involved in this Trump business is awful. There are no heroes. I don't see how that makes Trump look any better. If he had a backbone, he would have trapped Daniels and Avenatti himself.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Haha, Avenatti. Now there's a name I haven't seen in a while.

During that whole thing we had a bunch of dumb Basta! memes for awhile. Ironyposting that he would be the perfect next president. Pasting his face onto that Chad "seizes power" meme.

All this storyarc has managed to accomplish was make Mario Kart a little worse for all of us..
BIL

Post by BIL »

Of course you haven't! Look at how many rubes were tonguing his leathery old ballsack a few short years ago. Image

I am heartbroken we never got to see his cross-examination of LOVABLE STORMY-CHAN 3; 3; 3;

"Stormy-chan, how could you say I, your old friend MICHAEL, will be... ASS-RAPE IN PRISON :/"
"Hmm I don't recall saying that lmao ;3 ;3 ;3"
"NO ITS TRUE YOU SAID I WOULD GET FUCC FOR RAMEN AND HONEYBUNS"
"Oh I liek honeybuns rofl :3 :3 :3"

Image ~Michael Avenatti was sentenced to twenty years on Butt Fuck Island, USA~ Image

RIP scumbag lawyer / former MSM rimjob enjoyer ;-;7
To Far Away Times

BulletMagnet wrote:
To Far Away Times wrote:I would like to think this makes him unelectable to moderates. Not the embarrassed conservatives, but the actual, true moderates.
If you think, after all that, the Stormy Daniels payoff - which is hardly a revelation to begin with - will somehow be what finally gets the center off its infinitely complacent ass, I'd love to know why.
I think the messaging is easier. I have people ask me if the president can veto a state law. Lots of people aren't that politically engaged.

You need a story you can fit into two or three words. "Hillary's emails." Does it matter what the content of the emails are? No. Does it matter than Pence did the same thing as Governor? No. But it was something that could be attached to her. Does it matter that the origin of the Hunter Bider Laptop is incredibly unlikely and the story was first reported in a tabloid? No. It's just "Hunter's Laptop".

We'll have the image of Trump's mug shot. "Trump's criminal trial."

Republicans will always have the advantage on messaging because they have a massive dedicated propaganda outlet that can push a focused narrative. Three weeks after faux news first came up with the idea of CRT, Trump was talking about it at his klan rallies.
To Far Away Times

To Far Away Times wrote:
BulletMagnet wrote:
I think the messaging is easier. I have people ask me if the president can veto a state law. Lots of people aren't that politically engaged.

You need a story you can fit into two or three words. "Hillary's emails." Does it matter what the content of the emails are? No. Does it matter than Pence did the same thing as Governor? No. But it was something that could be attached to her. Does it matter that the origin of the Hunter Bider Laptop is incredibly unlikely and the story was first reported in a tabloid? No. Doe it matter that other than some nudes, there's nothing salacious there? No. It's just "Hunter's Laptop". He does drugs and has some nudes.

We'll have the image of Trump's mug shot. "Trump's criminal trial."

Republicans will always have the advantage on messaging because they have a massive dedicated propaganda outlet that can push a focused narrative. Three weeks after faux news first came up with the idea of CRT, Trump was talking about it at his klan rallies.
BIL

Post by BIL »

APOLOGISE FOR DOUBLE POSTING IN THIS FINE THREAD WITH A SUBSEQUENT THIRD, TRIPLE POST (■`w´■)
To Far Away Times

Hey man, one for each impeachment. Let us hope we never get a third.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ok but next time remember, it's sacred forum tradition (`w´メ)
Sengoku Strider

BryanM wrote:Any of you who think I'm joking or that it's impossible for us to elect a president that's in prison have a security blanket wrapped around your heads.
Oh yeah, they're already mentally prepared for the Trump prison arc:

It's all part of the master plan, just like the time The Punisher got arrested on purpose.
BIL

Post by BIL »

This had better end with Trump viciously bludgeoning and then sodomising Michael Avenatti while giving him a contemptuous reach-around rub n' tug, bringing him to a semi-cognisant but still intensely unwanted release. Stormy confirmed she has psychic powers under oath, she's already revealed Mike's bucci is fated to get blasted apart rim from rim in there.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

To Far Away Times wrote:We'll have the image of Trump's mug shot. "Trump's criminal trial."
As you note, he was already impeached, twice, (there's your two words, right there) for far, FAR more serious crimes than this one - caught on tape, no less, was that not enough of an "image" for the "moderates"? - and only got off because GOP Senators got right up in front of the cameras and stated outright that they weren't going to vote "guilty" no matter what the evidence said. The cherry on top, of course, was Susan Collins, as ideal an avatar for how "centrism" works in this country as any, claiming to have let him off the hook because she was sure he'd learned his lesson (there's another bumper-sticker slogan for you). And we all know how that turned out.

The result of the "moderate backlash" to this historic - and ongoing - travesty? George Fucking Santos is not only part of a GOP House majority, but serves on two committees. And he's not even the most odious of the bunch.

I can only hope your optimism has a foundation, but as far as I'm concerned, if a line hasn't already been crossed, multiple times over, for the "center" in this country, it never existed in the first place. Again, you want to see what actual popular opposition to despotism looks like, reference Israel. Sure as hell not here.