Prelude to the Apocalypse

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!

Iran War. When.

6%
2022-2025
28%
2026-2030
13%
2031-2040
6%
2041-2050
No votes
Never
48%

Total votes: 54

BulletMagnet

Re: Bush: 2018 Midterms Edition

Post by BulletMagnet »

Mischief Maker wrote:Through Donald Trump, Sean Hannity and the Fox & Friends morons are already President!
More accurately, the people who pay them exorbitant sums to say the inexcusable things they say - that is, precisely the people Trump insisted, in the face of all available evidence, he was not only completely unaccountable to, but righteously opposed to - remain very much in charge.

EDIT: Seriously, Mr. Speaker, fuck you. :lol: And fuck this guy too.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

So what exactly, in your opinion, qualifies as "messing with" Russia?
Painting them as a dangerous aggressor while we bring their neighbors into our protection racket and surround them with military bases qualifies. Arming proxy forces to cause trouble for them also qualifies.
With few exceptions, the entirety of the Trump administration's stance towards Russia
If you could forget about the Trump-Putin bromance fan faction for a second, you would notice that the Trump admin's policy thus far has consisted of sanctions, accusations, more sanctions, and more accusations.
Yeah, but when our ballyhooed strategy for keeping humanity safe is largely limited to allowing the purported aggressors to repeatedly bash us and others in the face with a wooden hammer in hopes that they won't switch to a metal one, when does it become appropriate to question the wisdom and/or efficacy of such a strategy?
What you describe here is nothing at all like reality.
Presumably that includes the WHO.
If the WHO publishes lies, that would make them liars, yes. Are they in charge of investigating alleged war crimes now?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

ED-057 wrote:Painting them as a dangerous aggressor while we bring their neighbors into our protection racket and surround them with military bases qualifies. Arming proxy forces to cause trouble for them also qualifies.
There's an argument to be had concerning just how well the Putin regime in fact fits the "aggressor" role, but for the heck of it, sure, let's agree that all the missile bases we've set up at their doorstep over the decades are excessive to the point of being provocative. And what the heck, let's also assume outright that most of the rebel groups and whatnot that we've supported when Russia is on the other side of the conflict were ill-advised as well. Now that we're here, it might be worth noting, once again, that the only person who seems giddy at the prospect of "solving" the Russia issue with explosive ordinance, despite how fraught with peril the situation has become, is Trump and company, though that certainly hasn't stopped the lot of them from painting everyone else as teetering us on the brink of the apocalypse. And aside from "get a couple thousand troops out of Syria" nothing much has been proposed, at least that I'm aware of, to alleviate the "provocative" actions you describe; all Trump seems to think is necessary is "turning on the charm", and he moreover blames anyone with doubts about the wisdom of cozying up to the Putin regime for not letting him succeed, so the unbroken streak of "somebody else's fault" continues in grand fashion.
If you could forget about the Trump-Putin bromance fan faction for a second, you would notice that the Trump admin's policy thus far has consisted of sanctions, accusations, more sanctions, and more accusations.
As I said earlier, they have happened, but only ever follow protracted foot-dragging, contradictory statements, and (fancy that) accusations that anyone who wants any action taken that Russia might not be able to instantaneously brush off is a blood-drinker; whatever does result inevitably does so under protest (EDIT: ...and then some!). By contrast, whenever the administration deems the proper response to be "push the launch button", suddenly Trump, by contrast, is decisive, strong, high-energy (and, lest we forget, somehow simultaneously manages to "keep all options on the table" at the same time :lol:).
What you describe here is nothing at all like reality.
The only thing that seems to get Trump's attention, much like most others', when it comes to Russia or Syria is chemical weapon use; "regular" ol' indiscriminate civilian slaughter? Human rights abuses on the survivors? Suspension or elimination of basic freedoms and rights? Rigged domestic elections? Interference in foreign ones? Imperialistic forays into foreign territory? Sometimes-fatal suppression of dissent? Propping up even more openly brutal regimes than oneself? Sabotaging any UN resolution to do anything about any of the above? By the time we get to Nikki Haley uttering a few harsh words (before they're shoved back down her throat by her boss, anyway) we've had the rest of the country and the rest of the planet berated for tempting the doomsday clock, while the slaughter and its accompanying nativist "what me worry" goes on, and the cycle soon repeats. Until there's another politically-expedient excuse for a missile launch.
If the WHO publishes lies, that would make them liars, yes. Are they in charge of investigating alleged war crimes now?
No, but it IS their job to say "we're treating people for symptoms consistent with chemical weapon use". Which they've done, and you apparently believe they just made the whole thing up. To repurpose a heretofore-unanswered question I posed to quash some time ago, who isn't in on the con? Who doesn't want to start WW3? Whose attestations would you believe when it comes to anything Russia-related? Pretty much everyone who's said anything thus far for at least the past several years has seemingly been corrupted beyond redemption and ruled out, so who's left, aside from Daddy's increasingly-schizophrenic (but always somehow Better Than The Alternative) personal judgement on the matter?
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Not to derail the thread too much from the current discussion, but turns out that Faux News' champion against the Mueller probe, Sean Hannity, is also a client of Trump's attorney, Michael Cohen. Enjoy these totally fake, made-up, not-researched, cooked-up-in-five-minutes articles designed to slander and defame the Heroism of Great Orange Leader Who Drained The Swamp For Most Glorious Restoration Of Our Nation Columbia, And Most Truthful Organization For Enlightenment of People, Fox News:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/na ... c03ed6d67f

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyl ... 0fef0fe457

Edit: Typos.
Last edited by Specineff on Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Don't hold grudges. GET EVEN.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

He needed Cohen to pay off Alan Colmes to keep quiet about their affair.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Such incestuous relationships are much more than common to those in power. The Clintons going to Trump's wedding, Ginsburg going on vacations with Scalia.. it's a big club where they're people who matter, and we're not.

Ed Schultz just mentioned how he had a huge segment on Sanders's entry to the race prepared for MSNBC. A story of enormous interest to the MSNBC audience. Five minutes before running it, his boss called him up and killed the piece. A couple weeks later, Schultz was fired.

As they say, "no man rules alone."

The only difference between what's going on now versus what would be going on if Romney/Ryan/Cruz/Carson/Bush/Whatever were president, is that Trump is a huge douchebag that's good at making people angry. The difference between Clinton is that the tax cuts for billionaires are in the form of a raw across the board cut, as opposed to subsidies and other pick-and-choose kickbacks.
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

BryanM wrote:The difference between Clinton is that the tax cuts for billionaires are in the form of a raw across the board cut, as opposed to subsidies and other pick-and-choose kickbacks.
...and Gorsuch and the Federal Judiciary, lifetime appointments all.

We're gonna feel really silly in 2023 when we finally fight and tear our way to passing Single Payer, only for Gorsuch to pass the deciding SCOTUS vote declaring Single Payer unconstitutional.
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

And they're going to feel really silly when we expand and pack the Supreme Court full of commies.

Do you think the supreme court, in the past, wanted to allow things like the end of child labor or a minimum wage to be passed? Of course not. It was bend or break. They did it because they had no choice in the matter.

I'm not saying my scenario is 100% certain to pass, just that you seem to think it's closer to a 0% possibility despite there being a historical precedent for it. (And implicitly, that there's somehow a significantly better chance that the republican Clinton would have tried to put on the court would support single payer. Or that the corporate democrat-appointed justices from the past would either. This strikes me similar to Trump supporters grasping at the possibility he wouldn't be a neo-con. Hope isn't a strategy - it's the final attempt of coping with reality before giving into despair.)

Don't give in absolutely to fear, is all I'm saying.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

There's an argument to be had concerning just how well the Putin regime in fact fits the "aggressor" role, but for the heck of it, sure, let's agree that all the missile bases we've set up at their doorstep over the decades are excessive to the point of being provocative. And what the heck, let's also assume outright that most of the rebel groups and whatnot that we've supported when Russia is on the other side of the conflict were ill-advised as well. Now that we're here, it might be worth noting, once again, that the only person who seems giddy at the prospect of "solving" the Russia issue with explosive ordinance, despite how fraught with peril the situation has become, is Trump and company, though that certainly hasn't stopped the lot of them from painting everyone else as teetering us on the brink of the apocalypse. And aside from "get a couple thousand troops out of Syria" nothing much has been proposed, at least that I'm aware of, to alleviate the "provocative" actions you describe; all Trump seems to think is necessary is "turning on the charm", and he moreover blames anyone with doubts about the wisdom of cozying up to the Putin regime for not letting him succeed, so the unbroken streak of "somebody else's fault" continues in grand fashion.
Trump is both giddy about explosive ordinance and "cozying up" in the same paragraph? Yes, Trump is a bit of a flip-flopper. Aside from that, I don't even know what you're trying to argue.
As I said earlier, they have happened, but only ever follow protracted foot-dragging
Well, my position is that none of this needed to happen, nor does it serve any legitimate purpose. It's all a distraction.
The only thing that seems to get Trump's attention, much like most others', when it comes to Russia or Syria is chemical weapon use
That's because chemical weapon use is part of the narrative (whether it actually happened or not).

Remember when your hero George W. had a plan to invade Iraq, and then he said "Saddam has WMDs!" and then he invaded Iraq? Remember the Gulf of Tonkin? Remember the Maine? Remember when the Soviets shelled their own border guards and used it as an excuse to attack Finland? Why would you expect anything different from the current crop of so-called leaders (including your BFF Trump)?
who isn't in on the con?
Very few are in on it, unfortunately some people fall for the lies and most aren't paying attention. (For instance, that "cutting taxes increases revenue" thing that you like to bring up)
Who doesn't want to start WW3?
Anyone who thinks about it for long enough?
Whose attestations would you believe when it comes to
That depends. You need to consider the bigger picture.

When someone from the country with the trillion-dollar military and hundreds of foreign military bases says that Something Must Be Done(tm) about Russian aggression? Probably BS.

When Trump (or whoever) says that Assad gassed civilians, after having already made this claim under similarly dubious circumstances on multiple occasions during the course of their years-long regime change attempt (being clearly butthurt about the failure of said regime change attempt), and after Russia even specifically said in the days prior to the attack that they had intel about a false-flag in the works and warned against trying to pull this shit again (lol)? And the proposed response to this alleged incident is yet more illegal military action? Definitely, 100%, BS.

Now, let's imagine a scenario where the US had not consistently been a dishonest, bad faith actor until now (and actually gave a shit about human rights violations in general, instead of being selectively concerned about ones which might further their political goals). And there was a claim of chemical weapons use. Imagine US officials proposing this:
1) an investigation by agreed-upon third parties into the circumstances of the attack, and source of the weapons
2) measures to support refugees escaping the danger
3) diplomatic talks to discuss accountability for any parties determined to have violated the law
4) diplomatic talks to discuss alternatives if the local government is uncooperative or culpable

In that case, I'd being saying to myself "gosh, this sounds like serious business..."

When they say "oh that evil Assad used the gas again, WE MUST BOMB SOMETHING!!!" I won't believe them in a million years.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

ED-057 wrote:Aside from that, I don't even know what you're trying to argue.
What I've been arguing, for quite some time now, is that two of Team Trump's most treasured justifications for all the shit he (and they) have pulled, namely 1) Even just saying something wrong (as Hillary so clearly did), let alone taking any kind of aggressive action, when it comes to Syria or Russia will be more than enough to tip Putin over the edge and doom civilization, and 2) Trump, unlike all those establishment elitists he's so obviously nothing like at all, Obviously Gets This and will act accordingly, are a load of open-faced horseshit, always have been, and anyone who ever peddled them is, much like their chosen avatar, either a shameless huckster or a blithering idiot.
your hero George W....your BFF Trump
...is there supposed to be some kind of clever "point" to these turns of phrase, or did a screw come loose? :lol:
Very few are in on it, unfortunately some people fall for the lies and most aren't paying attention. (For instance, that "cutting taxes increases revenue" thing that you like to bring up)
That certainly wasn't the tune being struck in the lead-up to the election, in particular...back then the America Firsters were basically in 9/11 mode all over again, and to be quite frank haven't retreated much from the they're everywhere, trust no one, revere no institution, they're all liars, and out to get me mindset that continues to allow them to dismiss out of hand pretty much anything that might suggest their recent political and social path has proved, shall we say, counterproductive.
When someone from the country with the trillion-dollar military and hundreds of foreign military bases says that Something Must Be Done(tm) about Russian aggression? Probably BS.
Even if that Something, as you subsequently suggest yourself, is non-military in nature? If I may remind you once again, the only one who seems to truly see the situation in pure "blow more shit up, I support nothing else" terms is Daddy, so why should those with more nuanced takes, not to mention genuine humanitarian concerns, be the ones to receive the "boy who cried wolf" treatment?
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

I had an epic reply almost ready when the entire thing vanished, so I'll be brief.
What I've been arguing, for quite some time now, is that two of Team Trump's most treasured justifications for all the shit he (and they) have pulled, namely 1) Even just saying something wrong (as Hillary so clearly did), let alone taking any kind of aggressive action, when it comes to Syria or Russia will be more than enough to tip Putin over the edge and doom civilization, and 2) Trump, unlike all those establishment elitists he's so obviously nothing like at all, Obviously Gets This and will act accordingly, are a load of open-faced horseshit, always have been, and anyone who ever peddled them is, much like their chosen avatar, either a shameless huckster or a blithering idiot.
If you expect Trump voters to apologize for voting for the candidate who offered what they wanted but failed to deliver, rather than the candidate who offered what they didn't want, then you're out of luck. I don't see Obama voters apologizing for his failure to close Gitmo and vowing to vote Repub next time. (Have I ever mentioned that the "two" party system is garbage and arguing about it is a huge waste of time?)
That certainly wasn't the tune being struck in the lead-up to the election, in particular...back then the America Firsters were basically in 9/11 mode all over again, and to be quite frank haven't retreated much from the they're everywhere, trust no one, revere no institution, they're all liars, and out to get me
People don't have to be in on the con to be instruments of it.

Everyone should be losing trust and listening hard for BS. They are being played. Looted for trillions of dollars by bankers and the military industrial complex. Spied on by an Orwellian mass surveillance apparatus which allows the TLAs to get dirt on any official who would dare to oversee their activities.
If I may remind you once again, the only one who seems to truly see the situation in pure "blow more shit up, I support nothing else" terms is Daddy
This is plainly not true. There is a whole circus of reliable war cheerleaders from "bomb bomb bomb Iran" Mccain and his ilk, to presstitutes like Thomas Friedman and Trump's idiot foreign counterparts May and Netanyahu. War existed before Trump and will continue to exist after.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

ED-057 wrote:If you expect Trump voters to apologize for voting for the candidate who offered what they wanted but failed to deliver, rather than the candidate who offered what they didn't want, then you're out of luck.
What Trump voters, like anyone else in a position like theirs, need to be doing, in line with your insistence that folks these days (or is it just certain types of folks?) should be "listening hard for BS" (or is it just certain brands of BS?), is to consider what's happened since the election (and what's on the horizon), why those things have happened, and ask themselves honestly what precisely it was that convinced (or "convinced") them that Trump was ever the guy truly "offering what they wanted"...or, for that matter, what, exactly, "what they wanted" comprised.

It's the same reason I'm not putting stock in impeachment; if Trump leaves office, one way or another, and his base can still be persuaded (or persuade themselves) to think "man, he totally could have fulfilled every one of those grandiose promises just like he said, and totally intended to, he just never got the chance, totally the Deep State's fault" then they'll just vote in another boorish, baldly plutocratic shyster, and "war will continue to exist" in the very worst way possible.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

It's really great to be talking about what other people should be doing and all. There is little one has less power over than that.

Who's running in your primary? Who are you voting for?
__

May skipping the parliament and just dropping the bombs was fun. I dunno what this "checks and balances", "there's a human element", "there's 2 parties" nonsense comes from. The machine that has power does what it wants, and tramples everything that gets in the way.

Also some hot stories broken on the tweeter.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

During Vietnam they used to actually show the war on TV. When you see things like this everyday, it's hard to support it.

You know who doesn't have to bother their beautiful little minds with such things? Barbara Bush.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Aaaaaaand in another blow by the Deep State to the Honorable And Virtuous Administration In Office For Make Great Nation Of America, federal judge John Bates (after having being of course bought and brainwashed, Manchurian Candidate-style, by the terrorists of that La Raza association of judges who are all part of the vast conspiracy by the Obamanati to tap Trump's wires) ruled that the protections for the Dreamers must stay in place, and the program must resume accepting new applications.

His ruling is based on the (entirely fake and made-up by the Obstructionist Cabal of the Washington Post, Bezos, Amazon, Hitlery Clinton and the Mexican Government's Super Secret Departamento of Irradiating Exported Peppers With Liberal Particles, located in Area Cincuenta Y Dos) reasoning that the decision to terminate the program was based on unexplained grounds about its unlawfulness. Homeland Security must provide an explanation within 90 days for cancelling the program, and failing to do so means that they must continue accepting both new and renewal applications.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/24/us/d ... trump.html
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Hey, hey, hey, speaking of primaries...

It's not gonna be enough to boot Trump, we need a congress that will REVERSE the damage he's done (and Bush jr. did, and Reagan did).

But even if this gets buried and the corporatist becomes the candidate, as galling as it is, there's still such thing as a lesser evil.

BryanM

Post by BryanM »

...We'd never have guessed the apocalyptic headlines would look like this...
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

Trump adds Elmer Fudd, er, Emmet T. Flood to his team of lawyers. Probably because he thinks that Clinton got away scot-free thanks to Flood.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/02/us/p ... unsel.html

And Giuliani had to go and open his big mouth:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... tions.html

"But it looks like he’s gotten the president into potentially greater legal jeopardy by admitting that Trump repaid his fixer Michael Cohen for the $130,000 payment to adult film performer Stormy Daniels to keep her quiet, seemingly contradicting the president and potentially implicating Trump and his campaign in some serious campaign finance violations.

If what Giuliani says is true, and if the payments were made to help the campaign and not (just) to help Trump personally, the campaign may be implicated in illegal activity. If Trump knew that Cohen was advancing him a $130,000 loan for campaign purposes, that would have to be reported by the campaign, as would the payments Giuliani said Trump made in installments to Cohen."

But of course, it's all a big conspiracy by Hitlery and The Obamanati to carry out a witch hunt by means of fake news who can't understand what alternative facts are.

Right?
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

The White House Correspondent's Dinners never cease to amaze me. They're supposed to be these galas where the most privileged people in the country go to fellate each other about how great they are. But somehow, on occasion, they hire a comedian that explains to them that they're all human garbage.

Who is responsible for hiring those guys?! Do the oligarchs just not care and delegate the job of hiring someone to some subversive anarchist intern? Are comedians just that high of a caliber of person in comparison to the sycophants of oligarchs, so it's just impossible to avoid these things if you want to hire a comedian?

I'm also not surprised to hear that the steaks there are cooked into shoe leather. Soulless vampires prefer their food to be as lifeless as possible, as a steak with a speck of light or life in it reminds them of what they don't have.

Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

...aaaaand Trump pulled us out of the Iran nuclear deal.

Remember when people were saying a vote for Hillary was a vote for WWIII?

Jonathan Ingram

Post by Jonathan Ingram »

Mischief Maker wrote:...aaaaand Trump pulled us out of the Iran nuclear deal.

Remember when people were saying a vote for Hillary was a vote for WWIII?
A vote for Hillary is a vote for WWIII and so is a vote for Trump. US imperialism is a bipartisan affair. Shouldn't be a difficult concept to grasp, no?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Are people seriously still proverbially driving around with those indulgently stupid "Giant Meteor 2016" bumper stickers on their cars?
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

If Andrew Cuomo was the frontrunner in the 2020 primary, I would beg Hillary to run again.

BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I don't think you'll have to beg her, she'll get there on her own. She said last time was her last rodeo so she's definitely running again. The cycle starts up just one short year from now. Trump can't get himself reelected on his own.

Also the current frontrunner, Joe Biden, just said the 500 billionaires who control everything aren't the reason things are rough. It's better to assume Trump is getting reelected, and be absolutely shocked if he doesn't.
__

It's great hearing about the media over in Britain. The Labour Party gained 77 councillors, did their best performance in the last 44 years in some places, Tories lost 33 councillors, and the media runs these headlines about how shitty Corbyn is and how bad the Labour party is doing right underneath the numbers showing them making gains.

As a lovely youtube comment puts it: "Fake news is an international problem. The Tories would be a dead party by now if the entire British media didn't campaign for them in every way possible every election cycle."
indulgently stupid "Giant Meteor 2016" bumper stickers
"Stupid".

Hm.

So, have you figured out who's running in your primary right now and if they're worth voting for? Time is running out.
Specineff

Post by Specineff »

So, can the Trumpskis explain how this is good for the country when Trump does it, as opposed to the Clintocalypse that Hitlery was going to unleash?
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Richard Cordray and Joe Manchin crushed their opponents last night.

If you think there's hope anytime soon, you're delusional. It was too late ten years ago and it's going to take another twenty years before anything begins to change.

Gotta love how Alison Hartson is mysteriously missing from the poll..
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

...aaaaand Trump pulled us out of the Iran nuclear deal.
Another idiotic gesture from Trump (and the neocons and AIPAC and the Sauds). But are the Europeans sufficiently annoyed yet to challenge it? Will Emma Sheen defect from the Titans to AEUG?
US imperialism is a bipartisan affair. Shouldn't be a difficult concept to grasp, no?
It's an incredibly difficult concept. The other team is the bad team. My team has what plants crave. My team has electrolytes. The other team doesn't have electrolytes. That's why everything is the other team's fault. Bip-arti-san? Is that a kind of sex position?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

ED-057 wrote:It's an incredibly difficult concept.
The really difficult-to-grasp idea seems to be "it is possible to openly and correctly label one party/candidate/etc. worse than another on particular grounds without being a mindless ideologue whose every criticism somehow implies that the alternative has no faults whatsoever."
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

BulletMagnet wrote:correctly label one party/candidate/etc. worse than another on particular grounds without being a mindless ideologue whose every criticism somehow implies that the alternative has no faults whatsoever."
Yep. The democrats might be the obviously greater evil, but that doesn't make the republicans good. As the heel, they get to push the envelope on how much their joint employer Goldman Sachs gets to gobble up within any given election cycle.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

BryanM wrote:
BulletMagnet wrote:correctly label one party/candidate/etc. worse than another on particular grounds without being a mindless ideologue whose every criticism somehow implies that the alternative has no faults whatsoever."
Yep. The democrats might be the obviously greater evil, but that doesn't make the republicans good. As the heel, they get to push the envelope on how much their joint employer Goldman Sachs gets to gobble up within any given election cycle.
One big flaw in the US voting system is the lack of an "Against All" choice on the November ballot. It's a shame that you can only vote "for" a candidate, especially if you're stuck with a choice between Trump & Hillary.
Kinect? KIN NOT.