shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:24 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2464 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83
 Post subject: Re: From Software 'n such
PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 8:33 pm 

I could have sworn I've seen KF2 remade in SoM also, but I guess that might be a fan project. Either way, probably don't bother.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:08 am 

Blinge wrote:
Sumez wrote:
There's a postgame boss rush which has the same issue, spending like half an hour taking you through super easy bosses you've already beaten, only to subsequently face one you've never seen before with no way of gauging its pattern.

Oh great that's up next for me ahah

.... :roll:
yup

Already died twice to Mato & Oro who are probably shit pissbaby easy compared to everything else this expansion's gonna throw at me.
Edit: oh looks like you can practice them on that bit off to the right.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:52 pm 

Got the itch to play Dark Souls II again, so to mix things up I decided to try a SL1 run. Five hours in and I just finished No Man's Wharf.. something I would have done much faster on a normal run.

I used to complain about DS2's bosses, but I'm starting to see things a bit differently on this run. With the adaptability stat being so low, you have to know your bosses 100%--there's no room for slop. It's actually pretty satisfying getting successful dodges one after another, knowing how terrible the roll is without boosting that stat.

Parrying seems more valuable as well. It's something I never felt the need to use in a normal run, but I'm implementing it much more now especially as I am finding bosses can be parried, something I've never bothered to try before. There just wasn't a need until now, the bosses had always been a pushover.

For the regular areas I've been OK with abusing fire bombs and throwing knives. Still stuck with a dagger as my main weapon, but I've gotten used to it. I tried two-handing some swords, but damn are they slow. Someone mentioned to me that I might be able to two-hand a crossbow, so I'll try that later.

Thinking of areas ahead, I'm definitely not looking forward to Shrine of Amana. Also, some of the DLC might be iffy--not sure if I'm going to tackle that yet. I'll probably focus on the base game first, then see how I feel about the DLC.

Side note, every time I play the original Dark Souls II, I forget how much I miss that shortcut added to the Wharf in Scholar of the First Sin.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:29 am 

CStarFlare wrote:
Occasionally I think of the King's Field games, grab an ISO and think "this is really cool" until I die every 10 minutes and never make it to the second save point.

I've been trying to crack King's Field (the second one from a Japanese standpoint) and I both really want to and just can't - it's just slightly too janky for me. Is there a modern equivalent that doesn't lag or have terrible hitboxes? I went on a bit of a google search last night and found Legend of Grimrock/2 and Dungeons & Darkness and neither really feels right.

stick with it, it's a brilliant game.

Online Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2464 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83