From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
evil_ash_xero

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Blinge wrote:Sekiro seemed around the same length as BloodBorne to me.
If that's small, well ok.

As for the rumours is there a shred of evidence?
It's not as long as Bloodborne. Absolutely no way. And Bloodborne is shorter than the DkS games. It only has a handful of areas.

VaatiVidya said it was true, and he knew about it for a couple of years. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-vGNxS1MDI
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Eh, I guess it is a bit small, there's only the one optional area. Also you can speed the game up and shorten its length like crazy if you just run away from everything.
Wasn't a problem for me though.

Yeah, Vaati saying it's true isn't evidence either.
Hopefully GRRM is you know.. writing the books?
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Blinge wrote:Eh, I guess it is a bit small, there's only the one optional area. Also you can speed the game up and shorten its length like crazy if you just run away from everything.

People can play how they want but this stuff is something I really don't care about and wouldn't want to do. I've had a great time fully fleshing out these games and taking my sweet time.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Word.

Also great rune more like great rumour. 8)
(this is me managing expectations)

New DS1 time
Spoiler
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Blinge wrote:Eh, I guess it is a bit small, there's only the one optional area. Also you can speed the game up and shorten its length like crazy if you just run away from everything.

Well, VV is kind of friends with people at From. He's not just some guy. It's like if ENB said it was true. So, I think it's good evidence.
Also, I'm sure GRRM will just give ideas and whatnot, and maybe get an assistant to write. I'm sure his books are his no 1 priority.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

True, I forgot they actually invited him there etc.

Still... hold onto them expectations..

Anyway, supposedly it's norse shit.. again!? I know Skyrim was forever ago but they re-release it in some form every week, Dad of Boy (GoW) came out already.. and the rumour mill also states the new Azz Creed will be some norse shit.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I don't mind some From Norse stuff. I skipped all the other Norse games.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

It’s happening.

Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Oh Jeez, not 'Ring' again

Also Elden?
REALLY!?

I can already hear the bethesda lawsuit coming hahah.

lord of the elder rings

also i was hoping for some sekiro dlc
ryu

Post by ryu »

Sekirou's frustrating enough at its hardest. No thanks to more of that, especially since From tends to make their DLCs much tougher than the base games.
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

welp im pretty hyped for Elden Ring

y'know the norse gods had their own ring of power/destruction situation going way before tolkein just saying
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Heard some rumour somewhere that they were going with Celtic Mythos instead, that'd be cool.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

It better be a sequel to Eternal Ring

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5bZaEUi65Y
ryu

Post by ryu »

Ok but where's the actual game
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
MX7

Post by MX7 »

World's least surprising leak. Must be tough keeping secrets with such fervent nerdboy scrutiny.

Anyway let's start collectively fantasising. Really hoping for a 1st person King's Field sequel. Celtic setting could make for some nice mise en scene. (The worst settings are desert, feudal Japan, steam punk and that lazy retrofuturist guff that fallout and bioshock did. Anything else is fine.)

It would be awesome if there was no combat but sadly if FROM pulled anything like this the cries of 100000000 screeching man children with no beauty in their souls would ring out through the frustration of not being able to make the man on the screen hit stuff with a sword.

It will be interesting to see how GRRRRRRM's penchant for telephone directory sized narrative splurges mesh with FROM's traditional approach to narrative thru environment and archetecture.

I'm all for Soul's emphasis on almost purely diegetic sound but it would also be really cool to go all out with the soundtrack a la Vagrant Story.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT73aNinyRg
A few interesting details here. Unfortunately they opted for making a video instead of just writing it, but I'll summarize a few points:

More focus on RPG elements than just combat (but it has combat)
Very customizable
Open world (unclear exactly what it means)
Biggest From Software game ever made
Miyazaki is a big GRRM fan (not jost ASOIAF), and they weren't expecting him to go in on this project.
GRRM has had more of a consulting job, based on From's idea, but wrote the "mythos" for the game's world.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I'm always hooked by From's mythic sense. Love how that narrator is barely holding back his onslaught of splooge over how fuckin' sick the Elden Ring is.

I just hope it's not another story about a dying world. I guess it's Miyazaki's thing, but I'm getting a bit burned out on "here's an epic, classically mythic world, and here you are on the tail end of its timeline."
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

all i got from the trailer is smelter demon is in the game :o
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Squire Grooktook wrote: I just hope it's not another story about a dying world. I guess it's Miyazaki's thing, but I'm getting a bit burned out on "here's an epic, classically mythic world, and here you are on the tail end of its timeline."
HERE HERE! That would be a welcome change.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

MX7 wrote: and that lazy retrofuturist guff that fallout and bioshock did. Anything else is fine.)
Are you still eating newborn babies or...?

Haha your point about having no combat..
Man. just.. what?
it290

Post by it290 »

I just want full character customization and Souls-esque oblique storytelling via the world and item descriptions (or some comparable analogue). If we get exposition in the Sekiro school I'm gonna be a little bummed.

Also not gonna lie, I would have preferred a second game in the Bloodborne universe, but the trailer at least shows promise for some tasty gothic and otherworldly horror bits.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Marc

Post by Marc »

MX7 wrote:World's least surprising leak. Must be tough keeping secrets with such fervent nerdboy scrutiny.

Anyway let's start collectively fantasising. Really hoping for a 1st person King's Field sequel. Celtic setting could make for some nice mise en scene. (The worst settings are desert, feudal Japan, steam punk and that lazy retrofuturist guff that fallout and bioshock did. Anything else is fine.)

It would be awesome if there was no combat but sadly if FROM pulled anything like this the cries of 100000000 screeching man children with no beauty in their souls would ring out through the frustration of not being able to make the man on the screen hit stuff with a sword.

It will be interesting to see how GRRRRRRM's penchant for telephone directory sized narrative splurges mesh with FROM's traditional approach to narrative thru environment and archetecture.

I'm all for Soul's emphasis on almost purely diegetic sound but it would also be really cool to go all out with the soundtrack a la Vagrant Story.
You're describing literally the furthest thing away from a From game I can possibly imagine. No combat? So, a walking sim with dialogue? About the only games I can remember having no form of combat were the LucasArts adventures. Oh, and Life is Strange. Rapture left me feeling as though I should have read a book instead. Pretty scenery mind.

As for BioShock, the setting was probably the best thing about it, sadly the game itself was nothing special.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Not a big game like this (I forgot this on my list above, but supposedly Elden Ring is "the biggest From Software title so far), but it's my impression that Deracine doesn't have combat, and pretty much is a "walking simulator"?

It also wasn't succesful, but I'm guessing that partly ties into it getting exactly 0 promotion. If I ever get silly VR goggles it's on my to-get list.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Marc wrote:You're describing literally the furthest thing away from a From game I can possibly imagine.
While mx7's idea COULD be interesting it'd also be suicide for the company so....
That's my main objection.

Also I think Deraciné also bombed because, well.. it's VR.
That game is kind of a niche within a niche.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I'd forgotten about Deracine myself to be honest. I'll add it to the list to be picked up in a sale I guess.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
MX7

Post by MX7 »

[/quote]interesting [but] suicide for the company[/quote]

Yup. It's a shame. Fromsoft's worlds are compelling and immersive and it'd be nice for the opportunity to explore them without twatting things with swords, which today seems like a rather distracting abstraction. Imagine if every film still had to have a similar quality to ensure financial success? I suppose if you only watch superhero films and car films it probably seems that way.

Deracine could be a minor cult hit in the same vien as Hell Night and Clock Tower but the insistence on VR is a bit silly.

Got King's Field 4 for sort of cheap and I'm very excited to crank it up for the long summer break!
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Have fun slowly twatting things with swords!
You know, that thing that the company likes to include in its games. Probably due to creative decisions rather than pandering.
In other news, Miyazaki likes Berserk.

Also consider playing indie walking simulators, I'm sure there's plenty out there that scratch this particular itch and aren't by Fromsoft.

and for what it's worth, include me in your list of screaming man children. I can be very loud =]
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Guts does spend a lot of time hitting things with swords, but he also spends just as much time cultivating hyperintense homoerotic relationships and being a little grump. Imagine if the next game added something akin to this frisson of differentiation to the experience? And how could that effectively be encoded within the constraints of the medium while still appealing to a core fan base? I bet the developers could do it!

Pizza is great, but eating it for every meal is boring, no matter how much you vary the toppings. Let's dare to dream, eh?

But yep, I shall utterly and shamelessly enjoy strafing verrrrrrry slowly around skeletons cus it's one of the few essential and intrinsic joys in life. I fucking love Dark Souls and Kings Field.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I had to look up frisson so i'm real fucking grumpy right now.
MX7 wrote:Guts does spend a lot of time hitting things with swords, but he also spends just as much time cultivating hyperintense homoerotic relationships and being a little grump. Imagine if the next game added something akin to this frisson of differentiation to the experience?
Back to university boys, this looks like a postmodern reading! Where's your bibliography?
So I'm talking about the Berserk manga here:
Lets ignore for a minute that your claim of "just as much time" is dead wrong.
Lets ignore that the 'intense homoerotic relationships' claim needs some work before I'll accept it at face value.
Lets ignore for a minute that your suggestion was the removal of combat from Souls-like games, and therefore Guts touching a dong on the side is irrelevant so long as there continues to be violence and combat as a central feature of Berserk.

Sure, There's other things besides combat in Berserk. As there are other things in Souls besides combat.
Fromsoft's worlds are compelling and immersive
Yuh.
If all you did in a souls game was fight without a compelling world to explore, there would be no souls fanbase, honestly.
There's already a frission of differentiation.

Also one compliments the other, actually. To quote Squire:
" I'm p.sure Miyazaki sees deathly, deliberately frustrating combat and trial/error as core to the experience and theme he wants to enforce. dude only talks about it all the time "
Pizza is great, but eating it for every meal is boring, no matter how much you vary the toppings. Let's dare to dream, eh?
How snide.

Literally go play something else?
Did you support From's endeavour to do something different; Deraciné? I'm guessing no.

Dreaming is alright, i've often talked about wanting to see a Lost Kingdoms III.
Demanding everyone share your dream lest they be labelled a screeching manchild is quite different though.

By the by, I do think sometimes about how nearly every popular game franchise involves some sort of violence/combat.
And I do wonder if this will ever be left behind or its exclusion commercially viable. That's for the entirety of gaming though, not muh FromSoft who've built their brand and legacy around solid combat in the past ten years. :roll:
The wider topic deserves its own thread, really.

I fucking love Dark Souls and Kings Field.
Liar. Burn at the stake.
Get insulted by me then see an apology in two weeks time, also from me.
drauch

Post by drauch »

I eat pizza every day and it rules. Also jerk off every day and it never gets old. And Berserk is really awful now because of all the changes it has made over the years. Hail swords and killin' stuff!
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla