From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Sumez

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by Sumez »

Yeah, and the kinda lazy world connectivity with fast travel unlocked from the beginning... I can feel a lot of DS2 genes in this, for better and worse.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Wouldn't wanna call that Ds2, gene honestly necron because the pellets are relatively sparse.
In DS2 you can have basically infinite since the beginning.

The world is way more consistent thematically than 2 tho.
There is basically no interconnectivity in 2, just spokes coming off a wheel?
Bloodborne seems closer to the mark for me.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

Beat it. Done.

Took down the final boss this morning. Got up today, decided to have a few more goes and beat it on my first go.

There are two or three bosses in this game that felt totally impossible at first. But therefore when you beat them it is a real fist pumping moment.

That is more than DS3 ever gave me so that is good. Those being:
Spoiler
Genchiro Ashina/Demon of Hatred/Isshin the Sword saint
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Great work! Now, join me in a challenge run. :D
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Haha what is it with monkey slaughter in this game.
poor monkeys, i felt a twang of guilt because they're kin to humans before remembering that i'd just engaged in the wanton digital slaughter of actual humans for the past 10 hours or whatever..

Anyway, double
Spoiler
Guardian Ape!?
Nah. Just nah.. only just beat the regular boi!
I have no frickin' idea how i'd get a hit on them.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Any fight that involves more than one simultaneous opponent in this game is just BS.

Still have absolutely no idea what the hell to do about those guys in the abandoned dungeon.
it290

Post by it290 »

Kind of preaching to the choir here, but man all this mainstream gaming press drama about 'games should have an easy mode' with regards to Sekiro really has me piqued. From is virtually the only studio these days that gets big budgets and is still able to make games that expound upon gameplay as being the central element to games, designed to teach you in a way that forces you to learn and adapt and make do with what you have—the really core element to all of the Souls games and Sekiro—and they're getting shitty press for not being inclusive enough or offering enough accessibility options. It's just really low-grade criticism, kinda the equivalent of telling Tarkovsky to make more accessible films or something. The way the game plays and feels is the actual art here; I think it really degrades the medium to imply that games should be a completely universal experience.
We here shall not rest until we have made a drawing-room of your shaft, and if you do not all finally go down to your doom in patent-leather shoes, then you shall not go at all.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

Blinge wrote:Image
Do you mean people who are retarded, like DSP?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG3RTuzBXxs
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I just want Naotoshi Zin back in action, honestly.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Sumez wrote:I just want Naotoshi Zin back in action, honestly.
A new King's Field or Shadow Tower title would basically be in the realm of sexual fantasy for me.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Blinge wrote:
I know you tend to split everything into absolutes, but he didn't.
Usually I find your impassioned rants about games amusing, but you've been a bit of a twat since Succiro came out, I must say.
I died when he put Arkane and Capcom in the same breath.

He just doesn't want to get good at Sekiro so he wrote it off.
rapoon

Post by rapoon »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Blinge wrote:
Usually I find your impassioned rants about games amusing, but you've been a bit of a twat since Succiro came out, I must say.

How's your playthrough of Bloodborne going? Brilliant game in just about every respect (minus wonky camera in close-quarters combat (shit is still present in Sekiro). Also 30 FPS max with stuttering during intense areas, gets pretty fucking annoying) otherwise it's absolutely perfect. If you're an HP Lovecraft fan, enjoy what's in my humble opinion, the best ps4 game.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Even though I'm right at the final boss, I think I've started to burn out on Sekiro, probably due to the triple-A style padding BS it pulls in the eleventh hour. Or maybe just due to that dumb spear guy who's constantly spamming unreadable perilous attacks with a 5km range.

I still like it, I just haven't been able to turn on the game for the past three days. Playing it again feels exhausting at this point.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:
Blinge wrote:

'Sup with Arkane? I think outside the Souls games, Resi 7, Dishonored 2 and Prey are the only games I've bought at full price and kept a hold of 'just in case'? No doubt I'll add Resi 2 at some point.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
guigui

Post by guigui »

I've not touched the game yet, and read as few comments as I could.

Now wondering : is this game just a giant-complex-exhausting-hard-to-master-risk&rewarding combat system ?
Or are there exploration moments, interconnected open world, uncovering mysterious plot, astounding level desing too ?
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

guigui wrote:Or are there exploration moments, interconnected open world, uncovering mysterious plot, astounding level desing too ?
Exploration-wise it's most comparable to Bloodborne, but more linear. And you have fast travel to any checkpoint right from the beginning.

There's a good taste of the classic From Software interconnected world design, but it feels very... "sanitized". There's a bit of mystery, but nothing you can't ask the game to whack you over the head with, and the world never manages to feel as wonderous and threatening as in the Souls series, mostly due to the ease with which you can traverse any area unthreatened.
You do get those moments of getting to stand at the top of a cliff or a tall roof, and looking out over a landscape of buildings, trying to identify the areas you have already been to, but overall it's nowhere near the level of Dark Souls 1.

The game is so litered with (mini)bosses that those fights are what will take up a vast majority of your time, too.
guigui

Post by guigui »

Thanks for the reply sumez. So yes, definitely combat oriented. Why not, since it seems those combats are actually real good.
tnc wrote: inferior Dark Souls game, DS2?
Talking to Obscura are you ? This will not end the war :popcorn:
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
tnc

Post by tnc »

guigui wrote:Talking to Obscura are you ? This will not end the war :popcorn:
lol so s/he prefers DS2, I understand.
Steamflogger Boss

rapoon wrote: If you're an HP Lovecraft fan, enjoy what's in my humble opinion, the best ps4 game.
I definitely am. Love weird horror.

I actually stopped my playthrough to get a European GOTY copy with the DLC on disc. Cost about as much as the DLC itself but moreover my internet is trash so this is just much easier. I've heard the DLC is pretty big so I didn't want to miss it.
Marc wrote:'Sup with Arkane? I think outside the Souls games, Resi 7, Dishonored 2 and Prey are the only games I've bought at full price and kept a hold of 'just in case'? No doubt I'll add Resi 2 at some point.
Dishonored is okay, but overrated imo. Arkane is a fine dev, but Capcom they most certainly are not.
Blinge wrote:Whether or not Obscurer wanted to get the hang of succiro isn't the point really.
He's not acknowledged the fact or the claim that Sek's combat is about more than deflects, or that you do not have to just stand there waiting to deflect, that enemy health or posture is lowered by you hitting them or their guard.

If you aren't open to conversation, why keep coming back and taking potshots.
He's cutting himself off from one of the best 5 games of this generation over his stubbornness too. Yeah, I said it.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

guigui wrote:This will not end the war :popcorn:
hoo boy. here we go...

Well I just took a little swim and met
Spoiler
underwater Headless
I've never noped the fuck out of a place so quickly in my life.
Most of castle part 2 is done boys.
ryu

Post by ryu »

Just got Sekirou.

I also haven't slept well the last few days and can barely keep my eyes open. This can only go well
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Steamflogger Boss

If you think Dishonored is the best game of a gen, there is absolutely no helping you. It was okay.
tnc

Post by tnc »

Obscura wrote:"Inferior".

Yes, the DS game that fixed the controls, had level design that went beyond "here's a big area dotted with melee enemies", had combat design where spacing actually mattered and the dodge was a tool used for positioning as much as timing i-frames, and had the most interesting character system with the most room for interesting builds is "inferior". Right.

Miyazaki fanboys are ridiculous.
Or maybe you prefer it cause it's more colorful you know, knowing you're a Capcom fan : P
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I don't think anyone's been sucking miyazaki's dick in here tbh. Unless you consider liking any of his directed games as such. Isn't 3 your favourite, Obscurer?
Although i do like Dark Souls 2, so i don't give a rats ass who the director is as long as they're working with From's considerable talent pool.

It's a shame how two of my friends who were very anti DS1 because it requires a controller and has port issues on PC finally decided to play it and loved it! But immediately shat all over Ds2 when trying it. Ah well.

Anyhow, back to the amazing experience that has been SUCCiro.

Headless is finally fucking dead. Urgh, these apparition enemies are the worst thing in the game.

My fight against
Spoiler
Corrupted Monk FO REAL
was fucking awesome :o I ran out of spirit emblems quite early on, sadly that is happening to me now. Didn't wanna farm though so I unequipped all tools and just fought her repeatedly sword only. Ended up playing like a massive pussy to just get it done, dash+charge up punishes like a souls boss for most of the fight. However the variety that came from throwing deflects + ichimonji out when required was cool.
Spoiler
No idea how to deal with the 2nd phase bullshit other than Durandal style nascar running, and even then I'd get taggd quite often. In the end I opted to run along the bridge, then stand and block and try to run back if I got the opportunity.

If I had emblems I'd be spamming firecracker to get free hits and stop her from using the spirit attack thing.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Blinge wrote:Well I just took a little swim and met
Spoiler
underwater Headless
I've never noped the fuck out of a place so quickly in my life.
A terrifying find, for sure! The secret is he's actually easy, though! I was very surprised to beat him on my very first try. Much more straightforward than the regular variety.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Blinge wrote:My fight against
Spoiler
Corrupted Monk FO REAL
was fucking awesome :o I ran out of spirit emblems quite early on, sadly that is happening to me now. Didn't wanna farm though so I unequipped all tools and just fought her repeatedly sword only. Ended up playing like a massive pussy to just get it done, dash+charge up punishes like a souls boss for most of the fight. However the variety that came from throwing deflects + ichimonji out when required was cool.
Spoiler
No idea how to deal with the 2nd phase bullshit other than Durandal style nascar running, and even then I'd get taggd quite often. In the end I opted to run along the bridge, then stand and block and try to run back if I got the opportunity.

If I had emblems I'd be spamming firecracker to get free hits and stop her from using the spirit attack thing.
I find the high mobility hit & run strategy for wearing down her health to roughly 50% before going for posture break to be the best approach when the firecracker/fistful of ash is not an option. For my no upgrade/no tool run I just did hit & run the entire time since my posture damage output in the late game is absolutely pathetic with attack power 1. It is good that you took her head-on for your first play, but the trick to her first & second phase for replays is...
Spoiler
Surprise plunging deathblow from the branches! Yes, you can do it for both phase 1 & 2 if you get the timing/positioning right!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Also the third phase
Spoiler
can be stunlocked nearly the entire time through using firecrackers
I uploaded some more of my videos btw. Here's my cowardly Genichiro strat in case anyone is still having trouble with this fight. It's pure strategy and no skills:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u27hyxrCIXk
Steamflogger Boss

So, a bunch of posts were deleted eh?
tnc

Post by tnc »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:So, a bunch of posts were deleted eh?
Seems like anything related to Yui Tanimura was deleted. Uhh... Can I say Tanimura?