From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
evil_ash_xero

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by evil_ash_xero »

The new previews of Sekiro really hyped me up. The other ones, and they way they would describe how much more limited this game was really kind of had me in a "I guess I'll have to see" mindset. But the new stuff really sold it for me.
They really pushed how it's less of an RPG, but didn't really talk about the skill trees, and things like that enough. Seems like it will be an awesome action/adventure game.
rapoon

Post by rapoon »

evil_ash_xero wrote:The new previews of Sekiro really hyped me up. The other ones, and they way they would describe how much more limited this game was really kind of had me in a "I guess I'll have to see" mindset. But the new stuff really sold it for me.
They really pushed how it's less of an RPG, but didn't really talk about the skill trees, and things like that enough. Seems like it will be an awesome action/adventure game.
Other than the original announcement and most recently a video that demonstrated the technical aspect of the parrying and riposte mechanics (which I regret watching), I've made an effort to stay away from many of the videos.
The little bit I've seen show the same level, with a large portion of said level intentionally (supposedly) excluded. I'm stoked about discovering what, if any, skill trees there are and whether or not there's a large array of
weapons; hell, I recently noticed in the aforementioned video there's a second sword on his back. Personally, I'm thrilled there's no online engagements and we can pause the game at our leisure. Anyways, I vehemently agree it looks like
it's going to be a lot of fun. :D :D
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

I actually had to look that up to confirm it and wow, no online play in 2019 indeed. Of course you won't find me complaining about that. I keep all my consoles offline. I am just genuinely surprised. I hope the game kicks ass and sells well.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

rapoon wrote:and whether or not there's a large array of
weapons;
There are a variety of sub weapons for the shinobi prosthetic but for the main hand it is just the katana. I won’t spoil the purpose of the large katana but you don’t fight with it directly.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Man, why did Seikro have to come out right after DMC 5? Arrrgh, I really doubt I'll be able to get to it at release, given that I'll probably still be working on at least a SoS run of DMC 5...
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

rapoon wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:The new previews of Sekiro really hyped me up. The other ones, and they way they would describe how much more limited this game was really kind of had me in a "I guess I'll have to see" mindset. But the new stuff really sold it for me.
Other than the original announcement and most recently a video that demonstrated the technical aspect of the parrying and riposte mechanics (which I regret watching), I've made an effort to stay away from many of the videos.
The little bit I've seen show the same level, with a large portion of said level intentionally (supposedly) excluded. I'm stoked about discovering what, if any, skill trees there are and whether or not there's a large array of
weapons; hell, I recently noticed in the aforementioned video there's a second sword on his back. Personally, I'm thrilled there's no online engagements and we can pause the game at our leisure. Anyways, I vehemently agree it looks like
it's going to be a lot of fun. :D :D
Sometimes blackouts are good. But I'm too curious.
They've shown parts of 3 stages. I know the one you're talking about.
It has 3 skill trees, that up various abilities. And numerous upgrades for your arm. You can also up your health and endurance.
You only have one sword, but it can be upgraded.

The previews they showed recently focused on stealth, upgrades, and more combat. Also, showed a lot more character interaction. It really looks like a full experience.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

evil_ash_xero wrote:It really looks like a full experience.
They have claimed that it is roughly the same size as their “other recent titles.”
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Necronopticous wrote:
evil_ash_xero wrote:It really looks like a full experience.
They have claimed that it is roughly the same size as their “other recent titles.”
That's...well, that's a bit confusing. As Bloodborne and Dark Souls III are quite different, size wise. Dark Souls III being larger.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Clearly he meant Deraciné
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

I've been messing around in Dark Souls since hibernation until the release of Sekiro is not a realistic option. I had never done a full-blown sorcery run so I started one up last weekend. Fun stuff! I thought I would have a lot of trouble with the magic-resistant bosses in the DLC, but not so much. I roasted Kalameet last night in this particularly satisfying attempt.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Nice play as usual!

Man I started DS2 recently for a mage playthrough and it kinda.. blows. My damage is a bit meh, even with INT in mid 30's.
Wanted to get into the Hexing game too so will have to play catch up levelling faith.

I end up just pulling the fire L-sword out on many occasions.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Just got a mail from the shop where I preordered, prompting me to check and confirm my shipping address.
The hype is real.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Haha cheeky link, Necron.

Did you have to join Sunbros / farm medals for that lightning spear?
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Indeed. And now I have Wrath of the Gods, too! Fun playthrough. I wish Wrath of the Gods had more charges.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Boom just finished King's Field (jp) magic only playthrough.
Didn't hit a single enemy with a weapon!

I would've recorded it but huge sections were fucking boring haha.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Nice man! I still really need to play KF1.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Nice indeed. :)
How often did you go back and forth to the fountain to heal MP?
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Well as I was experimenting & trying to figure out good methods on the first floor I had to go back a LOT.
There was a small amount of backtracking between 1&2.

Then I decided to play through on a separate file as normal to figure out the quickest way to get MP regen; so the answer was triple Fang, hidden on the 3rd floor and accessible quite early.
After that it wasn't bad at all, although I had to back off from/avoid some enemies as the regen is rather slow.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

I din't even remember that weapon. How did the end game & final boss go? Was it much harder, or not so much?
Also, have you mustered the resolve to do the same with KF2? :)
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

The weapon is
Spoiler
Hidden in the tower of prayer on B3, you curl round to the right past the amusing golems, there's a secret door in the north/east corner.
Yes the resolve is there but Sekiro fast approaches..
I'll probably play through KF2 casually again first though because it's been a while. And all this is probably while sat streaming on discord to my friend who was semi-interested in 1.

I ended up quite underlevelled for the final boss. But fortunately as your STR sometimes goes up with level ups, it meant my stats were like STR60, MAG90. You need 60/60 to be able to use Colchimarde's sword magic, so the game from 5th floor on was spamming the Colchimarde's rapidfire Light arrow. (Moonlight sword's pewpew requires 80/80)

Final boss killed me very quick so the fight was a spamfest of heal magic and dragon fruits.. it was butt ugly hahah.

The nice thing was seeing the class on the status screen say stuff like MAGE or WIZARD in big red text as i progressed through the game before eventually changing back to swordmaster as it seems to be always be the final class.

Another thing I would like to experiment with is this; can Eternal Ring be finished melee only? The flying Dragon boss might be impossible. Attribute rings could be focused on to raise stats. Would we consider healing spells forbidden also?
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Hrm, well, would you allow yourself to use the light spell to unlock doors? The best melee stuff is hidden in the secret cave near the starting beach, but you need to use light magic to get in there.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Yeah I guess I'd have to..
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Alright here's my current waste of life:

I'm trying to route a speedrun for KF: Sword of Moonlight edition.
It's the remake of KF1 in the KF creation tool From released for PC a hundred years ago.

man, through much hardship and being one-shot on floor 5. I reach the final boss with charged moonlight blade in hand..
Something's wrong. I can't kill it. I sat shooting it with MLG's sword magic (powerful ass spell) for over 20 minutes with a podcast on. It flinches every time it gets hit, like other enemies.. but just isn't dying.
I'm level 17 or something. No clue.
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

Blinge wrote:Alright here's my current waste of life:

I'm trying to route a speedrun for KF: Sword of Moonlight edition.
It's the remake of KF1 in the KF creation tool From released for PC a hundred years ago.

man, through much hardship and being one-shot on floor 5. I reach the final boss with charged moonlight blade in hand..
Something's wrong. I can't kill it. I sat shooting it with MLG's sword magic (powerful ass spell) for over 20 minutes with a podcast on. It flinches every time it gets hit, like other enemies.. but just isn't dying.
I'm level 17 or something. No clue.
I remember messing around with Sword of Moonlight for a while, years ago. I was more interested in creating funny dialogs than making a good game. Anyway, can't say there was a scene but there are some player-made KF out there.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

*Sekiro pre-ordered*

I've only messed around with Demon's Souls for a few bosses so I'm basically a SoulsBorne virgin.

don't mind a little hair pulling but hoping not to get chocked out from the beginning

wish me luck!
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

^

My copy's just arrived.
Might play it tommorrow. might just nut on the box.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Shipped via courier today. With a little luck I'll have the game tomorrow :O La Mulana will have to wait.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Good luck you guys. This game is the Real Fucking Deal. Let me introduce you to your new friend, 死.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Wow, Sekiro is fucking trash. Luckily, I was able to determine that in 68 minutes, so it's refund time.

Can't wait to see how the people who claim that Flash Guard ruins Ys defend a game where Flash Guard is literally the entire game, aside from PS1-era context-sensitive controls that don't work worth a shit.

Oh, and From is jumping on the "SAD DAD IS SAD, NOW FIGHT A BOSS THAT YOU'RE SCRIPTED TO LOSE TO IN THE PROLOGUE TO ESTABLISH A RIVAL" AAA braindead bullshit bandwagon. My fucking god, what a piece of shit.