From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Blinge

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by Blinge »

Corwill wrote: When I'm coming in your forum
Oh good heavens, no..
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
WelshMegalodon

Post by WelshMegalodon »

Wow, he's a sneaky bastard! With spam posts being so rare here, and non-native speakers so common, I honestly couldn't tell.
Indie hipsters: "Arcades are so dead"
Finite Continues? Ain't that some shit.
RBelmont wrote:A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

When I'm coming in your forum
Hey, some people really like Dark Souls...

I've reported him to the admins.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

BulletMagnet wrote:Hey, some people really like Dark Souls...
Colour me amused.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

An hour or two into KF2 (KF1 US) and finding it's everything I'd hoped it'd be, but on a far grander scale than I was expecting. It's a vast interconnected world that places enormous emphasis on secrets and charting your own way through it. There's a wonderful feeling that everything is a secret, in fact - even your normal forward progress through the game. I'm just getting to the "Big Mine" and reaching it took spelunking through caves and finding hidden walls, taking "rhombus keys" from random piles of bones, and infiltrating an enemy base that isn't signposted or even on the map you have at this point. Every area seems to tidily loop back around to the ones you've come from, too. I've barely made a dent in it and it's already shaping up to be one of the best exploration-driven games I've played.
drauch

Post by drauch »

In KFII as well now. A few hours in. Any equipment in this one I should actually buy from that Elf merchant, or can you find most like in the first game?
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

drauch wrote:In KFII as well now. A few hours in. Any equipment in this one I should actually buy from that Elf merchant, or can you find most like in the first game?
Save your money!
drauch

Post by drauch »

Will do, thanks! Definitely a step up in difficulty this time around, but a lot of that difficulty is just an indicator that I probably shouldn't be in this area quite yet. I really liked the crushing atmosphere of constantly descending down the dungeon of the first, but I'm also really digging the more open, exploration-driven setting of the second, with an immediate slew of ways to go and places to search. Also, that increased game/movement speed is a real game changer. :)
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Yeah it definitely stonewalls you at a couple of points. I went to the Big Mine a bit too early and the game announced this by suddenly having the archers become these ruthless, never-miss crackshots who followed me all over the place! I'm currently in the lowest depths of the mine and being OHKO'd by dinosaur-looking things, a clear sign that it's time to look elsewhere. :P

I'm finding exhausting dialogue with the NPCs helps an awful lot with general navigation - a boy told me pretty much exactly where to go next after giving me the pirates' key, a fortune teller explained what the star gate & key do, etc. The game has a reputation for being almost inscrutable but all it takes is a little attentiveness and engagement with the content. Although I suppose there's so much to explore in every area that you can easily forget where you had planned to go because you've uncovered so much more since you initially set out. It can feel quite disorienting in that sense, but I think this is more a thrill than a hindrance.

There are great little bits of storytelling here and there, too.
Spoiler
There's a wonderfully eerie moment in one of the villages where an old woman sitting outside her house in a rocking chair offers you the "Figure of Seath". You go in and get it and emerge to find an empty chair, still rocking. :P
I'm still absolutely loving every minute of it.
drauch

Post by drauch »

I don't think I'm probably too far off, as I just got the Pirate's key. Having the fortune teller was a nice addition so I don't have to consult a guide just for knowing what certain things do.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Ahh I'd forgotten about that Klatrymadon that was a great moment! Eerie games, the ps1 trilogy.

I'm doing an SL1 run of DeS. I was gangster, but then Garl got he mallet. :shock:

Flamelurker went down on the first attempt 8)
Maneaters took some doing, jesus. I actually cheesed them in the end using the thieves ring, ran from one end of the bridge to the other and only one followed me. I dislike the part in that fight where they just fuck off and fly around for a bit. Makes the time sensitive portion very stressful.

... aaand I just died to Penetrator.

Got the Crescent Falchion up to +4. Upgrading is fucked in this game. The only way to get it to +5 was a pure Darkmoon Stone. My chance to get it has gone for this loop as you're relying on random drops from crystal lizards and they're all gone. I even pushed Shrine of Storms into pure black tendency in order to improve the droprate. That was a real headache.

Edit: Damn, all I got's a Dragon Longsword +3 to take False King on with. 125 damage per R2.
This will take a while. One of my openings to hit him is when he does the big AoE charge but he's started to respond almost instantly with his dash attack, with no wind up!? It comes out just like that while I'm still in end lag. I've died twice to such BS.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Blinge wrote:Flamelurker went down on the first attempt 8)
Maneaters took some doing, jesus. I actually cheesed them in the end using the thieves ring, ran from one end of the bridge to the other and only one followed me. I dislike the part in that fight where they just fuck off and fly around for a bit. Makes the time sensitive portion very stressful.
I'm doing a first-time playthrough of DeS right now so it's good to see someone else mention it. The main game has been good but when it comes to certain bosses (Flamelurker and Maneaters, fuck them all) I feel like I'm fighting a janky framerate and a wonky collision system (attacks clearly connect but don't actually deal damage) more than I am fighting the bosses themselves. I defeated the Flamelurker but am struggling with the Maneaters at the moment.

I need to try a SL1 attempt on some Souls game just to see what it's all about. I generally play these games fairly normally as opposed to limiting myself.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Flamelurker's hitbox stuff is alright, I think.
There's just a lot of AoE effects from his several slams that can be hard to parse. Also I think he hip-checks you/ deals small amounts of contact damage.

Generally I think Souls games have good collision? Maybe Demons is the worst offender though.
I did try to vertical attack Maneater's feet as it just hung there being a twat. However the spells, and homing green shit that one shot me meant it was more worthwhile to retreat to the brazier and let him reset/land.

fucked myself over earlier in the game by killing the two club phantoms in Stonefang and neglecting to pick up their drops as I was over-loaded and thought "it's probably just clubs or something."
Nope, they were Dragonstone Chunks that would be very helpful to me right now. :|

DS2,3 and BB seem like SL1 would be a nightmare.

In other news I'm gonna do an ag99 style rant.
Two friends of mine have been playing DS1 for the first time. One of them is using walkthroughs for areas he hasn't even seen yet, the other insists he's going to do so for DS2. Urghgh. Whyyyyyy
'My enjoyment comes from beating the game'

Yes I will sit in my high tower and say "You're playing the video game wrong." Ffs

Edit: The Old One gains an SL1 thrall.
Bring More Souls.

PPS: I wonder if we can get challenge runs going in King's field games.
Magic only?
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

I've done various SL1 & even more restrictive playthroughs on all Souls titles.

Dark Souls 1 is the easiest and most straightforward, thanks to Pyromancy and the Reinforced Club. This is definitely where you should start if you're interested in such a thing. After you've completed the game normally, SL1 is not that much of a jump in overall difficulty, and it will give you an entirely new perspective and appreciation for its underlying design. If you really want a challenge, I recommend further restricting yourself from Pyromancy which is more in line with the challenge offered by an SL1 of the other titles in the series.

I had a lot of fun on my Demon's Souls SL1 game, particularly near the end when I put together a "Full Hyper Mode" set to boost my magic damage to an absolutely outlandish degree. I was stuck at the Maneaters fight for quite some time.

The SL1 run in Dark Souls 2 (SotFS) was actually what got me to change my overall opinion on the game for the better, but it is definitely the toughest run of the bunch thanks to a couple of specific encounters which run entirely counter to the low-level approach. The Throne Watcher and Defender encounter, specifically, almost made me give up.

Dark Souls 3 is on the tougher side, but it's also one of the most interesting and open-ended games in the series for an SL1 run. Compared to the other games, you have many more equipment & strategy options generally available to you. This is especially true when you get ahold of the +5 stat rings that open up a bunch of new magic/equipment options.

In Bloodborne you're stuck with a level 4 run, since there is strangely no origin that starts at a level lower than 4. It still has the look & feel of a Souls SL1 run, though. It's tough, but my wife & I managed to pull it off with a shared controller a few years back, so there's definitely still some wiggle room!

If you are into these games and you've already exhausted the normal gameplay experience from each & every one of them, you'd be doing yourself a favor to go through them with the SL1 (or equivalent) limitation. It's a challenge worth your time that will fascinate and amaze you in ways you might not have expected.

As for King's Field challenges, I did extensive fooling around with SL1 type runs on 2 thru 4. This sort of thing will never be quite as interesting as the equivalent in Souls due to the fundamental difference of the need to spend your experience points to grow in Souls, however there's still some fun to be had. If you read back in this thread you can find my full thoughts on these runs. I was able to get most of the way through the game in both KF2 & KF3 and get myself equipped with most of the best equipment in the game without ever gaining a single level. KF4 didn't have the same depth at level 1, sadly.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Cleared all routes on Armored Core For Answer. I didn't liked the game at all at first, but wow, this games is perfect, feels like a mix of ace combat and Gundam VS imo. Really hoping to see another AC directed by Miyazaki in the future (AC6 when?).

Also, been replaying my least favorite Tenchu, Kurenai/Fatal Shadows.
A few months ago I heard the psp port was made completely by FS, so I gave the game a second change, but sadly is the same shit, still has that awful enemy layout and weird hitboxes, and the psp version added horrible camera controls and even more weird hitboxes.
I would love to like this game, seriously, but i can't, it sux.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

A low-level run through KF2 sounds really interesting. I'm guessing it involves a lot of breathless dashes past intimidating enemies? I've only just become able to take on the earth elementals (dinosaurs) in the lowest depths of the Big Mine at level 21, and they can still make extremely short work of me if I go in without a plan. :p
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

KAI wrote:Cleared all routes on Armored Core For Answer. I didn't liked the game at all at first, but wow, this games is perfect,
Ah man.. I just didn't get it. Mad cuz bad.
Necronopticous wrote:Dark Souls 1 is the easiest and most straightforward, thanks to Pyromancy and the Reinforced Club. This is definitely where you should start if you're interested in such a thing. After you've completed the game normally, SL1 is not that much of a jump in overall difficulty, and it will give you an entirely new perspective and appreciation for its underlying design. If you really want a challenge, I recommend further restricting yourself from Pyromancy which is more in line with the challenge offered by an SL1 of the other titles in the series.

The SL1 run in Dark Souls 2 (SotFS) was actually what got me to change my overall opinion on the game for the better, but it is definitely the toughest run of the bunch thanks to a couple of specific encounters which run entirely counter to the low-level approach. The Throne Watcher and Defender encounter, specifically, almost made me give up.
Yeah my DS1 SL1 play was all melee, I might've used power within for one boss, and that's it.
Gonna upload the full playthrough once I'm done editing it.

Ohh that's interesting to see about Ds2, so why go for parries on Velstadt? Is rolling not a good option anymore because lack of ADP? Interesting that you're using flames as well, i thought Pyro now scales in DS2.

As for King's Field challenges, I did extensive fooling around with SL1 type runs on 2 thru 4. This sort of thing will never be quite as interesting as the equivalent in Souls due to the fundamental difference of the need to spend your experience points to grow in Souls, however there's still some fun to be had. If you read back in this thread you can find my full thoughts on these runs. I was able to get most of the way through the game in both KF2 & KF3 and get myself equipped with most of the best equipment in the game without ever gaining a single level. KF4 didn't have the same depth at level 1, sadly.
Urgh you want me to trawl back through the thread??
Heh, i guess level 1 runs in KF are more or less pacifist challenges huh.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

KAI wrote:Cleared all routes on Armored Core For Answer. I didn't liked the game at all at first, but wow, this games is perfect, feels like a mix of ace combat and Gundam VS imo. Really hoping to see another AC directed by Miyazaki in the future (AC6 when?).
I feel like those of us waiting for a new AC game are Fry's dog. But yeah, For Answer is great.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Necronopticous wrote:
In Bloodborne you're stuck with a level 4 run, since there is strangely no origin that starts at a level lower than 4. It still has the look & feel of a Souls SL1 run, though. It's tough, but my wife & I managed to pull it off with a shared controller a few years back, so there's definitely still some wiggle room!
Lol, this was highly entertaining.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

There's a really tricky bit in KF2 where I need to take out several fire-hurling salamanders and stone faces to get a shot at opening a chest which is itself guarded by an unseen stone face. I can try to take out the hidden face first, but I somehow have no 'resist fire' spell yet, so I'm being repeatedly slaughtered. :p

Ed: figured this out, and was rewarded with the much-needed Sun Gate! Having the fountain activated and a few warp keys/gates massively opens the game up, eh.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Dudes... these goddamn archers in KFII are driving me insane. :shock:
Last edited by drauch on Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Has anyone here ever had problems with Fromsoft Playstation games crashing at the start on original hardware? Both my US copy of Shadow Tower and Japanese copy of KF3 freeze up at exactly the point that control of the character would normally kick in. There are no problems if I run them via emulator, and the console I'm playing them on is pretty new and largely unused, so it seems unlikely it would be struggling to read the discs (although obviously it could be), especially as my PAL games all work fine. Is it possible certain PSOne models have region protection checks that occur even after the game has launched?

Ed: I should probably also note that I'm booting these with Breaker Pro, and that my imported shmups seem to work well...
tnc

Post by tnc »

Why is King's Field so slow. Is it because of hardware or by choice?
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

It's a bit of both. The game is a relatively ponderous and methodical experience however you play it, but some emulators can keep it running at a consistent 30fps (which it tends to drop well below), providing what will feel like a significant increase in speed.

I love the pace of the KF games, tbh, and admire KF4 for having the sheer brass neck to be even slower than its predecessors. :P
tnc

Post by tnc »

Oh, right! Forgot about KF4.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Though King's Field 1 (JP) is slower more due to design than hardware (as evidenced by KF2, although it is possible that unfamiliarity with the hardware could be to blame as well), King's Field 3 is considerably more constrained by the hardware than the first two games, due to its open world style of gameplay, and it runs significantly slower as a result.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Hello f r o m b o y s .

I've been messing around with KF(jp) lately, trying to beat the game using only magic.
Jesus, what a bad idea. I think it might be feasible if there was a cheap source of MP regain item..
Not paying 1650 for Dragon Crystals or walking back to the fountain on floor 1 every single time I need more MP.

Had to shuffle past nearly every enemy on floor 1 to finish it. I don't know if i have the stomach to do the same for floor 2.
I'd be very underpowered by end game if I'm killing so few enemies.

Maybe KFII will be more fruitful in this regard.

Edit: oh i may as well throw this in too.
I've been doing a little poem for every video in my DS1 Soul level 1 playthrough. Here's an example
Spoiler
Ornstein's down so i fight super Smough,
He crushes me with thunder booty though.
The tag team serves to test my wits,
before I can see dem giant tits.

The painted world is peaceful,
its inhabitants kind.
Believe me I'm gleeful
to leave it behind.
Before I go I must not fail,
To cop a feel of that fluffy tail.

Hunted in forests by Alvina's band,
hit by a girl with Pharris' Bow in hand.
One and all were beaten forthwith,
Clearing a path to the Grey Wolf Sif.

Quickly down to the effusions Ceaseless,
With a bullshit hitbox to render me speechless.
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

Klatrymadon wrote:It's a bit of both.
I've read somewhere that it was a way to avoid loading screen, so it can all be a single huge map.
In KF4, you do get an item that makes you run faster. Don't recall if Eternal Ring had that.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

In KF4, if you hack the run speed to be faster than it currently is, there's parts where you can run into an area that hasn't loaded yet, which results in falling into an endless void and dying.

Hell, even if you don't hack it, there's a couple of spots it can happen anyways if you're fast/particularly unlucky.
rapoon

Post by rapoon »

FYI for anyone that preordered Sekiro, a steel book option is now available at no extra cost. The case itself will apparently ship separately.