From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
jepjepjep

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by jepjepjep »

I’m looking forward to it! It’s encouraging to read such good feedback.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

__SKYe wrote:So, is the way to get 100% of the monsters/rate in each area is to simply go in and out of it until you're lucky enough for them to spawn? How long did it take you, overall? I'm assuming you're referring to the PS1 game, of course.
Yeah, the PS1 game. I did it on original hardware (no ability to frame skip, save/load state, etc) and it took me roughly 20 hours. I streamed the entire thing on Twitch, starting here. Warning: I was playing quite poorly in the beginning--it had been a little while.

As for getting 100% area clear, it is more or less what you say, but there's a bit more strategy to it that you can employ. On the JP net there's information about exact enemy spawn locations and spawn zones which helped me a lot. I also found this Google doc buried in an old GameFAQs thread that some guy made which I now realize is quite incomplete, but still had some very good information that was a great help in my last playthrough.
__SKYe wrote:The first place that comes to mind is GameFaqs, though you could also make a thread here (is there an Off-Topic strategy thread?) and perhaps having the OP of this thread post a link to it on the first page (a la, BIL's NG thread).
Here's a sneak peek at what I've been working on:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Yeah, 20 hours seems pretty nice for a 100% run. I've been away from it for awhile now, but when I do finish it, I'll also go for a 100% run.
Necronopticous wrote:Here's a sneak peek at what I've been working on:
Looking pretty sweet so far. :wink:

One thing I've been wondering: do you always get the same type and number of weapons/items after defeating all the enemies in a level (I'm assuming that the durability is random between their possible min-max)? I'm not certain about this, since it has been a while since I've played it last, but I seem to recall not getting, or getting different weapons/items after defeating enemies in the same area (because of dying in the mean time, and starting over from the beginning), and I can only think of three possible scenarios:
- You always get the same items and I'm just mistaken;
- You always get the same set of items from all the enemies in the area, but you get the impression of getting different/random items because you're actually fighting enemies in a different order (ie. if there are 6 enemies of a single type in a area, and only 2 spawn on any single visit to that area, then you're possibly fighting any combination of those 6 enemies (each with their fixed drops), thereby making their drops seeem random at first);
- They are completely random.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

__SKYe wrote:One thing I've been wondering: do you always get the same type and number of weapons/items after defeating all the enemies in a level (I'm assuming that the durability is random between their possible min-max)? I'm not certain about this, since it has been a while since I've played it last, but I seem to recall not getting, or getting different weapons/items after defeating enemies in the same area
Here's how it works: Every enemy in the game has between 0 to 3 items they can drop. Each drop has a hidden % chance to drop (I am trying hard to find these percentages on the jp net, but have not yet come across them). Each drop is either: a cune, a common consumable item, or one of the 265 total unique pieces of equipment in the game. Each of the 265 pieces of equipment are completely unique and static (e.g. none of the attributes are random). The spreadsheet that I created & linked in my previous post is a list of all 265 pieces of equipment, their attributes, and some additional calculations that I was able to math out.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Okay, thanks for the explanation.
It gives a fair bit of randomness then; in a good run you might end up with a lot of weapons/items, and on another you may end up with much less. Should make going through the game multiple times more fun, at least.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Necronopticous wrote:
__SKYe wrote:One thing I've been wondering: do you always get the same type and number of weapons/items after defeating all the enemies in a level (I'm assuming that the durability is random between their possible min-max)? I'm not certain about this, since it has been a while since I've played it last, but I seem to recall not getting, or getting different weapons/items after defeating enemies in the same area
Here's how it works: Every enemy in the game has between 0 to 3 items they can drop. Each drop has a hidden % chance to drop (I am trying hard to find these percentages on the jp net, but have not yet come across them). Each drop is either: a cune, a common consumable item, or one of the 265 total unique pieces of equipment in the game. Each of the 265 pieces of equipment are completely unique and static (e.g. none of the attributes are random). The spreadsheet that I created & linked in my previous post is a list of all 265 pieces of equipment, their attributes, and some additional calculations that I was able to math out.
This is so awesome.

I am hoping to acquire a copy of Shadow Tower soon. If not, well I've got KF1 longbox and KF2 on the way. Which are really KF2/3 if I understand things correctly.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Are there many bosses in the KF/ST games besides at the end? I'm about to head to level four now and was curious how the rest of the games were, or if they were just sprawling adventures like this. Probably going to get some flack for this, but this style of gameplay is perfect for me; really relaxing and low stress, unlike Souls (for me, at least).
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:I am hoping to acquire a copy of Shadow Tower soon. If not, well I've got KF1 longbox and KF2 on the way. Which are really KF2/3 if I understand things correctly.
That is correct. Shadow Tower is harder to find than the King's Field games, and generally sells for quite a bit more (I think I got my copy for $80). I think it's worth the money, though--it is unlike anything else I have ever played, King's Field included. Alternatively, you can play it on Vita. It's only $5 to purchase digitally on PSN and, as I previously mentioned, you can remap the controls so that it plays with modern FPS controls which is a thing of beauty.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

I honestly don't remember if KF1 has any besides the last boss, but KF2 has about half a dozen or so (there are 4/5 alone in the coliseum). Many of them are sort of overpowered standard enemies, and none of them are really too tough, though you can occasionally end up dead very fast if you're not careful (like, in KF2, against the Golem in the coliseum, where you can get hit by a flurry of rocks as you enter the room, and die very fast).
KF3 has only one or two (that are unique enough to be qualified as bosses), besides the final boss(es).

As for Shadow Tower, I've not played nearly enough to know for sure, as I've only cleared the first world, but there is indeed a boss at the end of it, so I assume there at least one for each world.
Steamflogger Boss

Necronopticous wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:I am hoping to acquire a copy of Shadow Tower soon. If not, well I've got KF1 longbox and KF2 on the way. Which are really KF2/3 if I understand things correctly.
That is correct. Shadow Tower is harder to find than the King's Field games, and generally sells for quite a bit more (I think I got my copy for $80). I think it's worth the money, though--it is unlike anything else I have ever played, King's Field included. Alternatively, you can play it on Vita. It's only $5 to purchase digitally on PSN and, as I previously mentioned, you can remap the controls so that it plays with modern FPS controls which is a thing of beauty.
I noticed that from watching a bit of your playthrough. It looks quite different. Shadow Tower Abyss looks extremely good and I will play that after (via a burned dvd for the translation patch). I've actually never touched these two before, whereas I have played the KF games in the past (and enjoyed them). I also got Eternal Ring and a couple other old RPG type games from the same guy I am getting KF1 longbox from. It's been forever since I played some Eternal Ring.

Good to know about the PSN option and nice to see From Soft getting some love there. I'm going to try and gut it out and get a copy for $80 or less to play on an actual PS1 on a CRT tv.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Thanks for the effort, man. :wink:
By the way, if you need help translating the item drops, I can help; as long as it's just translating from katakana I can do it. It's a fairly long list to go through.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Finished up King's Field last night. Hell of a trip. Breezed through most of it at a nice pace. Difficulty picked up a bit towards the end, but like others mentioned, my character was pretty stacked at that point and didn't have much trouble. Thought about jumping straight into II, but I usually like to have a break between like fiction and whatnot, so to keep it similar I picked back up Demon's Souls and created a new character. May try and finally tackle this, then go to KFII or ST; we'll see how I'm holding up after this and what kind of mood I'm in, but in a perfect world where I efficiently balance my hobbies I'd love to keep it up.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Congrats. :)
Yeah, taking a break is a good move; I also took a few weeks (or months? can't remember) off, while tackling all three games.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

__SKYe wrote:By the way, if you need help translating the item drops, I can help; as long as it's just translating from katakana I can do it. It's a fairly long list to go through.
I might take you up on that! All of those translations are actually already done, anyway (they are on hidden columns in the item spreadsheet, it's mostly just a matter of going through the manual process of replacing them all. Also: the English names have collisions so I'm trying to figure out exactly what I want to do about that to make the sheets more explicit, which is why I haven't done those in the monster sheet yet. Are you on Discord? Maybe you could shoot me a DM (JumpLust#7053) if you want to give me a hand working on this stuff.

I did the first map translation today as a test. Ultimately, I'm not sure if I am going to keep them 100% the same, but here's the result:

Steamflogger Boss

That map looks very handy.

I did end up winning that auction so I should have Shadow Tower next week. Yay.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Necronopticous wrote:Are you on Discord? Maybe you could shoot me a DM (JumpLust#7053) if you want to give me a hand working on this stuff.
I'm not, but you can shoot me an email anytime (I'll send you a PM with it). Or I could make an account, if it more practical for you.
And yeah, I can help with anything else that doesn't require actually translating from japanese, such as editing the maps, or whatever, so don't be shy. :)
Necronopticous wrote:I did the first map translation today as a test. Ultimately, I'm not sure if I am going to keep them 100% the same, but here's the result:
It looks pretty good. The original author did a great job on those.
Maybe one thing I think I'd change is, to expand the size of the image on one side and move the monster & item lists there, so that it looks a bit cleaner overall (except for the exits from the map, which are fine the way they are).
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Last night I finished my true 100% run of Shadow Tower on Vita. I managed to get all (265/256) items and 100% clear every region, but I am still missing a single cune (98/99). With __SKYe's help, I've been working on a couple of detailed spreadsheets of every item and enemy in the game with every bit of information you could possibly ask for. Those are nearing completion, and I have been considering making an overall connections map and improved region maps with a focus on 100% completion.

On the side I have been streaming "ironman" style runs (no saving, no backtracking) on the NTSC-J version which I just received in the mail. I had a couple of good runs going, but I'm having some issues with the game freezing up. I'm not sure if the Japanese version of the game is just buggier than the localized one, or if there's an issue with the Japanese Playstation 2 I am playing on.

@drauch & @jepjepjep how're you two doing on King's Field?
drauch

Post by drauch »

I actually cleared it a few posts up :D . I didn't have much in the way of progress to post about because I enjoyed it so much and blew through it. Always knew I'd enjoy it, but didn't realize how much I would love it. Really calm, relaxing experience for me. Felt like a grande ol' adventure.

Been going pretty strong on Demon's Souls after picking that back up again, having ditched it in rage, jeeze... probably something like 8+ years ago. Wanted to take another bite out of the later From catalog. My biggest enemy in the Souls games is myself. I've got pretty legitimate anger issues, so I've got to have a sound mind when I play something that I know will frustrate me. But hell, I can always laugh afterwards because I know I'm an idiot. Wasn't raging too hard until Maneaters, which prompted me to quit the game a few times in hate, but I'd always come back 15ish minutes later because it's all I could think about. Then last night I totally lost it, having almost beaten the boogers, only to be shot in the back with a projectile as I was running to heal. Literally ejected the game and threw it in the trash, then tried to rage-fix my leaking sink, also failing in the process. Man, what an adventure!

Swore off the game for life, because my flat brain can't take it... for like three hours. Booted it back up, finished Tower, then all of Plagueville, USA. Now just the last two bosses in the Shrine of Storms before I finally tackle the end of Boletaria. Hoping to finish that up this week.

I want to jump right back into KFII after this, but we'll see. I'm kind of wanting this to be the year of From, but what I plan I rarely accomplish, so dunno. Thinking the next thing will actually be Echo Night II, as I'm in a bit of a horror mood, but still oddly craving that KF L1+R1 strafe setup.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Dude, just do KF2. It's amazing. :)
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

drauch wrote:Wasn't raging too hard until Maneaters,
Getting past those two is the moment you beat DeS, really.
Unless you cheese them with firestorm..

Christ the more i think about it they're a really cool boss, but nothing else in the game demands as much of you combat wise.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

I'm planning on getting to DeS sometime soon (RPCS3 emulates it properly now!), but aside from having so many other games on my plate (XENONAUTS!!!!), I have to admit, the reputation of Maneaters has me somewhat intimidated before I even begin. I know I've got a hell of a hill to climb there...
drauch

Post by drauch »

Blinge wrote:
drauch wrote:Wasn't raging too hard until Maneaters,
Getting past those two is the moment you beat DeS, really.
Unless you cheese them with firestorm..

Christ the more i think about it they're a really cool boss, but nothing else in the game demands as much of you combat wise.
Yeah, ever since I finally tackled those it's been pretty smooth sailing. Just cleared Old Hero and Skykid tonight, so now on to big papa. Gonna wait it out and probably do it in the next day or so since it's 4 in the morning and I've got to wake up in three hours for work, but at the same time think of all that I could accomplish if I stayed up...

For me the Maneaters was half battle with camera/half rolling off ledges mixed with my own impatience. I wound up admittedly cheesing them pretty hard in a fit of madness. I just said fuck it, threw on the heaviest armor I could still chunkbutt roll in, casted Ward, and blasted them repeatedly with Fireball. Worked the first time, cackling all the way. Part of me knows it was baloney, but after my evening I had to have some sort of revenge.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Obscura wrote:I'm planning on getting to DeS sometime soon (RPCS3 emulates it properly now!), but aside from having so many other games on my plate (XENONAUTS!!!!), I have to admit, the reputation of Maneaters has me somewhat intimidated before I even begin. I know I've got a hell of a hill to climb there...
Nah, the reputation of Maneaters was solidified before the rest of the souls games came out.
That tells you all you need to know.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Finally tackled Demon's Souls. Been shaking for like 10 minutes. Feels good, man. Never thought i'd control the nerves and do it. Got the King on my first try, although at one point I got boxed in, making it a close one. Time to relax!
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Congrats! What weapon were you using in the end there?
drauch

Post by drauch »

May get some guffaws for this, but I went strictly mage this time. Crescent falchion +1 for melee, kris +1 when using magic. Was pretty much a glass cannon until towards the end. Some stuff felt cheap, but I enjoyed my wussy self.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

No shame in that.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

*Heavy Guffaws*

Still, might've been helpful to bring that falchion further up from +1!

How did you deal with Mr. Vinland?
Steamflogger Boss

Cheese that potato AI whenever you can imo.