From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Blinge

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by Blinge »

1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

what
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I believe the implication is that anybody present at an undisclosed time and place purports to have the street credibility and social status of a gang member. This of course is until Garl Vinland of Demon's Souls fame returns, having retrieved his blunt weapon, referred to here as a mallet.
The suggestion is that upon his return, everybody who had acted like a gangster are no longer doing so, as they quite rightly fear Mr. Vinland and his capacity for violence with aforementioned weapon.

also play the souls DLCs you grizzly old coot :mrgreen:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

That requires paying real money for something that I don't actually get to own for real. I'm uncomfortable around that.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

You're likely to only play them through once (by your own admission) though?

I don't know. People spend more on beers, which they piss right out. They only own that beer temporarily. :o
Why they do that?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

At least I get to hold the beer, and taste it :3
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

:| you hold the bottle or glass rather than the beer itself which i assume you don't keep.
What the hell am i writing.

fuck. just sell your copies of 1 and 3 and re-buy the complete editions. The added content is on the disc. :x
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Fog Area & Illusion Area down as of last night.

Fog Area was a bit of a slog. I thought for sure clearing out the source of the fog would stop the enemies from being able to disappear, but that was not the case so that felt like a totally missed opportunity. That paired with the lack of enemy variety and janky moving platforms had us pretty eager to move on by the end. Weirdly, it was the first area we managed a 100% clear on in the data book.

We were of course excited for Illusion Area since Illusion World in Shadow Tower 1 was that game's strongest/strangest moment. It did not disappoint, and was probably the most enjoyable zone in Abyss so far, but still did not quite reach the level of the original for us. Looks like only two zones left!
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Well, we cleared Shadow Tower Abyss earlier tonight. Very anticlimactic.

Overall I thought the game was pretty interesting, but never quite reached the heights of the original Shadow Tower despite its clear technical superiority.

Generally speaking, these two games are just fascinating to me from a design perspective. I plan to play them through again & attempt a 100% clear on both of them. I'm not sure if I will ultimately go through with it, but I have an idea to capture all of the gameplay and produce some sort of video breaking down what makes them so intriguing and unique. If I give up on that, I'd at least like to do a writeup.
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Guys, I am head over heels for Shadow Tower. Since I finished Abyss I have been replaying the original for 100% completion (and streaming it!). I played a ton this weekend. Part of the reason why I never did a full writeup for Shadow Tower back when I first played it is that I have trouble even verbalizing how marvelous I find this damn thing to be. It's too good for this world.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

I got a nice copy of Shadow Tower in the mail a few weeks ago...I'm glad to hear it's even better than the sequel. Just gotta fit it in with everything else happening...
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Ed Oscuro wrote:I'm glad to hear it's even better than the sequel.
I'm not quite sure I would say that it is the better game. There are some real problems with the first Shadow Tower. It is a strange and fascinating thing, though. Abyss is an improvement in almost every technical way, but it just didn't have the same impact on me as a holistic experience. I think I'm probably in the minority opinion on this, even among the minority of us who even have opinions on this shit.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

It's cool man, sometimes a game simply resonates.

I certainly wouldn't wanna keep re-tracing areas to mop up all the later enemy spawns til 100%!
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Blinge wrote:I certainly wouldn't wanna keep re-tracing areas to mop up all the later enemy spawns til 100%!
I'm really enjoying it. I have finished Human World, Earth World, Fire World, and Monster World. I skipped ahead to Monster World after Fire World because I wanted to get the rarest spawn in the game out of the way. It took a while, but I got it! Just Water, Illusion, and Death to go.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Blinge wrote:I believe the implication is that anybody present at an undisclosed time and place purports to have the street credibility and social status of a gang member. This of course is until Garl Vinland of Demon's Souls fame returns, having retrieved his blunt weapon, referred to here as a mallet.
The suggestion is that upon his return, everybody who had acted like a gangster are no longer doing so, as they quite rightly fear Mr. Vinland and his capacity for violence with aforementioned weapon.

also play the souls DLCs you grizzly old coot :mrgreen:
LOL.

I'm in the midst of a Dark Souls run. Almost forgot how much I loved this series. In the Tomb of the Giants atm.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Necronopticous wrote:
Ed Oscuro wrote:I'm glad to hear it's even better than the sequel.
I'm not quite sure I would say that it is the better game. There are some real problems with the first Shadow Tower. It is a strange and fascinating thing, though. Abyss is an improvement in almost every technical way, but it just didn't have the same impact on me as a holistic experience. I think I'm probably in the minority opinion on this, even among the minority of us who even have opinions on this shit.
I have some nostalgia working here as well, since the demo was included (20-21 years ago?) on the disc that came with my PSX. If the frame rate is inconsistent I probably will notice it, and try not to have it go against my enjoyment. Abyss may be better looking, but it's also hella old looking too. At this point it's fair to say personal preference and those 'intangibles' count as much as anything.
Sumez wrote:At least I get to hold the beer, and taste it :3
you ain't alive till you've tasted that classic souls plastic :P~
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Blinge wrote:
Zaarock wrote:For Armored Core V and Verdict Day a lot of the content is multiplayer focused, such as 80% of the major bosses.
Shit. and I assume online is dead?
To me that renders the game unplayable if I have to faff about specifically for each boss like that.
Missed this post. Online is very dead apart from japanese PS3 version. But it's easier to access the bosses with less populated server as the boss fights replace an invasion event. Beating them will be difficult though. In VD you can program AI mechs to assist you and I've seen people succeed with this on the boss fights. But programming and equipping the AIs is a lot of work and you need heavy understanding of the game.

You can still see what the bosses are like so its worth giving it a shot. The main campaigns aren't bad. From decided to put more difficult boss fights as some kind of rare raid boss to surprise people.

The AI building in Verdict Day is a really neat mechanic. Later into the games life as the servers got less populated more players got good at building AIs. So they would make invasion parties that are half AI ACs or sortie alone with 3 of them and still put up a good fight against human opponents & extend the games life.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Is it kind of like classic PC games with a sim / management aspect? Sounds like Rainbow Six, a bit.
drauch

Post by drauch »

I finally started my journey today in King's Field. Playing the 1st one, JP. Only two hours in thus far but I love it. Anything I should watch out for in particular? I've been reading through everyone's journeys for quite a while, but they've all kinda blended together without having played them yet. Only reason I'm asking if there's something I should watch out for was because I read some brief review where this dude got to the end, then had to backtrack a bunch to get some items before he could finish. Seemed a bit like a goob, but thought I'd throw that out there so I don't goof myself!
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

It's been a good while so I can't recall if you can miss something vital to clear the game, though even if you have to backtrack, there are only a handful of levels so you never have to waste a lot of time doing so like in KF3, for example. I don't even remember if there are multiple endings on this game. :?

In the end, the meat of the game is in exploring everything, which is really what makes the game(s) so much fun, so if you're assertive in exploring the maps, you'll very likely come across the vast majority of the things that are important, with the possible exception of items that are inside hidden rooms, so remember to check any suspicious (and some not so suspicious) walls for hidden passageways.

Also, be aware that there are two maps on this game (unless I'm confusing it with a later game), one (which you acquire later) being more accurate than the other, though the less accurate overall is actually more accurate in some places, so use both to check where you've possibly missed rooms/items.

Do post your experience through it, though. This was the game that really got me into the non-analog, first-person RPG kind of game, and it's always nice to see someone else starting their journey on the series as well (unless you've played any of the later games before). :)

Also, confess: did you die at the hands of the skeleton on the very start of the game? :mrgreen:
drauch

Post by drauch »

Thanks for the tips. Probably about 3ish hours in so far. I think I'm like level 13, maybe a bit higher. Breast plate and shield and axe. Thankfully I was acclimated to the controls already from playing Echo Night earlier this year, so not having any problems there. Found the dude with the cross (now having a hard time finding him again), but I finally found that map, so now it's just a matter of time to get back there.

Actually just discovered that skeleton! I went in there and assumed there was a secret wall, but I was still acclimating myself to the buttons and I guess I didn't press circle so I missed him, haha. Tackled my first skeleton earlier though no problem, now one-shotting them, but the damned green plants are funnily enough giving me the most grief! They do peanuts of damage now, but those little turkeys seem to bite me more than anything before I could bash 'em in the head once.

Anyway, so glad I'm finally getting serious with this. Just goofed around in the past and been reading all these posts for however long it's been going now, and I'm in the perfect mood to tackle this. Been in the mood for something dungeon-crawly that wasn't a super long blobber. Wish there was more stuff like this and Ultima Underworld. Love the lonely, single-party scavenging and darkness!
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Haha, that skeleton at the start was what really drove home the fact that the game meant business; and the subsequent games also follow the tradition in their own way. :)

There's a tactic (which I can't recall for sure, but I think it also works in the first game (it works in the second but not the third)) that makes approaching enemies much safer (I'll put it in spoilers, in the unlikely case you're not aware of it, and want it to remain that way):
Spoiler
Use a low MP spell like the Light Arrow, which will make the enemy flinch, immediatelly follow with an attack while they're in hitstun, and then retreat. Then just repeat.
Pretty cheesy, but can save you from enemies that hit hard and are also hard to catch off-guard.
drauch wrote:Love the lonely, single-party scavenging and darkness!
Indeed. I always preferred games where it's you vs the world; the opressive atmosphere and the fact that you're frequently one step away from death (for most of the game, at least), make this series pretty unique.

Have fun, and once you get to the second game, things get even better (more varied environments, you can sprint, more bosses, etc).
Corwill

Post by Corwill »

Dark Souls is one of the most interesting, but monotonous series. And the most perverted is that I went through all three games on the keyboard and mouse;))))
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Name a series that is less monotonous and why?

lol yes, i would agree that you're a pervert.
merry chrismas :mrgreen:
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

I'm stoked that more of you guys are getting into King's Field. Looking forward to hearing details of your adventures, drauch.

So I finished my 100% area clear of Shadow Tower, including getting the 1/256 chance spawn joke frog enemy near the end of the game. The English-language info about this game is extremely sparse on the Internet, so I've resorted to scouring the jp net. I'm considering putting some elbow grease into translating some of this info and putting it in a nice format but I'm not really sure where the best place would be to host such a thing.

I decided to go immediately into a third playthrough to attempt a true 100% completion (including acquiring all unique items, and 99/99 cunes). This time I am playing on PS Vita which I have decided is the Best Way To Play Shadow Tower. I was able to remap all of my controls such that I can play like a modern twin-stick FPS. It is glorious.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

That would be really nice of you. After this Souls run I was looking into trying some of their older lesser known stuff.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

Necronopticous wrote:So I finished my 100% area clear of Shadow Tower, including getting the 1/256 chance spawn joke frog enemy near the end of the game.
So, is the way to get 100% of the monsters/rate in each area is to simply go in and out of it until you're lucky enough for them to spawn? How long did it take you, overall? I'm assuming you're referring to the PS1 game, of course.
I rarely read guides while I'm still in the process of clearing a game, but I always enjoy comparing others' experiences with mine, to check what I've missed, etc, so I'd also very much appreciate it, if you do end up doing it. :)
Necronopticous wrote:I'm considering putting some elbow grease into translating some of this info and putting it in a nice format but I'm not really sure where the best place would be to host such a thing.
The first place that comes to mind is GameFaqs, though you could also make a thread here (is there an Off-Topic strategy thread?) and perhaps having the OP of this thread post a link to it on the first page (a la, BIL's NG thread).
Blinge wrote:lol yes, i would agree that you're a pervert.
merry chrismas :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:lol:
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

I'm playing King's Field 1 Japan through the fan translation and it is a fascinating experience. I don't have any history with Fromsoft games prior to Demons Souls and I went into this blindly not knowing what to expect from the King's Field series other than vague memories of screenshots in magazines during the PSX launch.

Man, where to begin?

When I first booted up the game I was excited but a little apprehensive since it such a huge step backward from the Souls series. This is apparent right away when you're greeted by the grainiest 3D graphics imaginable. It's not a stretch to say this this game looks primitive, even for the early-3D era of the time. The controls are awkward and painfully slow, although you get used to them over time. The combat system is very primitive, but functional. To be honest, during the first play session I was struggling to find a reason to continue (other than the developer's pedigree), and I wasn't sure if I would be able to stay engaged long enough to play to the end.

After playing for a bit longer, the atmosphere of the game started to win me over. The brooding music of the first stage set a dark, slightly-creepy, and mysterious vibe. The characters that you meet and the story that develops are interesting. It's more straightforward than the ambiguous and deeper lore of the later Souls games, but it's interesting enough to keep the player wanting to find out more.

I'm on the last stage of the game now, nearing the end and I don't want it to finish. I still don't understand how this game can be so captivating given the profound jankiness. Fromsoft is a master of crafting atmosphere.
__SKYe

Post by __SKYe »

jepjepjep wrote:When I first booted up the game I was excited but a little apprehensive since it such a huge step backward from the Souls series. This is apparent right away when you're greeted by the grainiest 3D graphics imaginable. It's not a stretch to say this this game looks primitive, even for the early-3D era of the time. The controls are awkward and painfully slow, although you get used to them over time. The combat system is very primitive, but functional. To be honest, during the first play session I was struggling to find a reason to continue (other than the developer's pedigree), and I wasn't sure if I would be able to stay engaged long enough to play to the end.
It's not too bad, if you consider that, not only was it their first game, it was also a launch title for the PS1. It does take a while to get used to it, but once you do, the atmosphere takes over and you almost forget the grainy graphics and the short drawing distance. :)

Pretty much my own experience at the time, as I had never played a 1st person ARPG like it (short of a very, very brief time on Oblivion a long time ago). I actually put the game aside for a while, after having first tried it, and only some weeks (months?) later did I actually went at it for real. And I'm glad I did.
jepjepjep wrote:I'm on the last stage of the game now, nearing the end and I don't want it to finish. I still don't understand how this game can be so captivating given the profound jankiness. Fromsoft is a master of crafting atmosphere.
Don't be. When you're finished, boot up the second game, and the fun continues. :)
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

jepjepjep wrote:I'm playing King's Field 1 Japan through the fan translation and it is a fascinating experience. I don't have any history with Fromsoft games prior to Demons Souls and I went into this blindly not knowing what to expect from the King's Field series other than vague memories of screenshots in magazines during the PSX launch.

Man, where to begin?

When I first booted up the game I was excited but a little apprehensive since it such a huge step backward from the Souls series. This is apparent right away when you're greeted by the grainiest 3D graphics imaginable. It's not a stretch to say this this game looks primitive, even for the early-3D era of the time. The controls are awkward and painfully slow, although you get used to them over time. The combat system is very primitive, but functional. To be honest, during the first play session I was struggling to find a reason to continue (other than the developer's pedigree), and I wasn't sure if I would be able to stay engaged long enough to play to the end.

After playing for a bit longer, the atmosphere of the game started to win me over. The brooding music of the first stage set a dark, slightly-creepy, and mysterious vibe. The characters that you meet and the story that develops are interesting. It's more straightforward than the ambiguous and deeper lore of the later Souls games, but it's interesting enough to keep the player wanting to find out more.

I'm on the last stage of the game now, nearing the end and I don't want it to finish. I still don't understand how this game can be so captivating given the profound jankiness. Fromsoft is a master of crafting atmosphere.
Just wait till you play the next game in the series! It's all of the same (including crude, janky early 3D and cumbersome combat), but it's also absolutely excellent with its atmosphere, and the incredibly well designed, completely interconnected game world is really something special.
It's still a favourite of mine.