From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Captain

From Software 'n such

Post by Captain »

Am I doing it right?

In all seriousness though, after seeing those two topics, I've come to realize how many franchises die at a point and then keep getting brought back, either to milk the cash or as honest attempts at good sequels that fail to live up to the originals.

Some franchises just need to die.

How does this relate to dark souls, you ask? Well, its where the series is heading, all is well at the moment, but wait long enough and we'll start getting filler souls games, i guarantee it.
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
Leader Bee

Re: dark souls 4

Post by Leader Bee »

Dark Souls 2 was filler souls. I didn't even bother finishing it.
The universe is neither hostile nor friendly, simply indifferent.

Even without my umbillical cable attached I still have over 12,000 plates of fortified armour AND I have my AT Field! There's NO WAY I can lose!!
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

Dark Souls 3 is the last Dark Souls game, but thank you for gracing us with this incredible thread.
But above all, we are blessed to have such a supportive and loving community, and we are happy to dedicate this final episode to them!
Captain

Post by Captain »

Necronopticous wrote:Dark Souls 3 is the last Dark Souls game, but thank you for gracing us with this incredible thread.
But above all, we are blessed to have such a supportive and loving community, and we are happy to dedicate this final episode to them!
Wasn't that what they said about 2
Image Image
guigui

Post by guigui »

Wasn't that what they said about ... captain ?

Anyway, money is money. Let them make soul games, play them if you like them.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Captain wrote:
Necronopticous wrote:Dark Souls 3 is the last Dark Souls game, but thank you for gracing us with this incredible thread.
Wasn't that what they said about 2
I don't remember them saying anything like that for 2.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

+1

Seriously though, there's a reason each game has had its own thread. Beyond the stupid arguments that have come up, all the entries have enough depth to merit multiple pages of discussion. The reason they haven't been merged into a giant souls thread is because they are also each unique enough that discussion in one may not relate to the next.

Honestly, the souls games are about the only non-indie modern title that still retains challenging single-player arcade-esque gameplay as its core mechanic. It is currently the only legitimate answer to how can the type of games we grew up with evolve for a new audience without giving up their 'soul' (hahahaha). Might as well revel in it before the series gets turned into complete dog shit like the silent hill franchise.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

What does define "indie", though? Isn't it just a fancy way of saying "small-time"?
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Let's just rename the threads "Exclusive club: No Captain allowed."

Cause I figure that's what this is really about.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Captain

Post by Captain »

Wat.

Also I could swear I read somewhere that DS2 was supposed to be the last one.
Image Image
Squire Grooktook

Would need a source on that.

Even if they did, they don't have much reason to milk it now that they have Bloodborne out. Might as well do sequels to that before people get bored of the medieval setting.

Also I agree with everything CMoon said. It's one of the only franchises out there that manages to get that arcade style sense of tension (thanks to the checkpoints, soul and humanity penalty for death, etc.) into a full length modern adventure game. Keep em coming, or at least keep making games with a similar structure.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

First off, I can't believe they've already announced Dark Souls 4. The development is so fast! I heard they started working on this game secretly before starting Bloodborne, Dark Souls 2 and Shadow Tower 2. Miyazaki promised an expansion of the backstab system along with a massive increase in the number of pig and armored boar enemies. During an interview, Miyazaki said 'This is my favorite part of souls games!'
Obiwanshinobi wrote:What does define "indie", though? Isn't it just a fancy way of saying "small-time"?
It's a valid question. I actually meant 'big budget' and is in no way incompatible with the concept of AAA titles. When From made Demon's Souls I wouldn't have considered them in this league, but now that they are courting Namco/Bandai and Sony simultaneously, I think we can safely say they are one of the 'majors'.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
SHMUP sale page.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Franchises won't die as long as people buy them.

To me, franchises are dead, as much as I can manage to not get excited about newer games using a familiar name.
LtC

Post by LtC »

If they're going to try something entirely different with the next Souls games after Dark Souls 3 I'm really hoping they would take inspiration from the manga Blame!. I'd love to see a Souls game in that setting
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

I heard Dark Souls 4 was in production before Demon's Souls.

Seriously though...Dark Souls 3 will KINDA be Dark Souls (or Demon's Souls) 4. In a way. Sorta. :wink:
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

it may well be the last dark souls game, but according to lobos/vaati at e3 miyazaki said it won't be the last souls game, and that they were thinking about having very different settings in future games. I'm definitely up for some sci-fi souls. but am also very weary of burnout if they keep putting out a game a year.

too much of a good thing is still too much.
BIL

Post by BIL »

LtC wrote:If they're going to try something entirely different with the next Souls games after Dark Souls 3 I'm really hoping they would take inspiration from the manga Blame!. I'd love to see a Souls game in that setting
Oh hell yes. Merciless cyber labyrinth diving sounds good.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Immryr wrote:too much of a good thing is still too much.
Understandable sentiment, but I don't think there's ever been a successful game series that really dodged old age, unless you count Nintendo franchises (and there it's arguable; there's a lot of filler in there). I'm OK with them rushing to capitalize on a concept before it's old hat and done to death by everybody. I mean, will this type of gameplay even be marketable in 10 years? Hard to say with all the changes.
evil_ash_xero

Post by evil_ash_xero »

Dark Souls II, to a lot of people, was the "too much of a good thing". But it wasn't so good.

So, it can only go up from there. :lol:

I expect it to be much better than 2, just due to Bloodborne's quality (it has it's problems though too). I'm hoping they can get it ALL TOGETHER, like on Demon's and Dark 1, where nothing's too short, or streamlined...nor is the level design poor and doesn't feel connected properly.

I'm hopeful.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I'd like to see a Megaman title made in the souls style.. Yes, I mean 3D too. The future would be absolutely fucked and rusted and malfunctioning, everything falling apart.

I'd go on but I'll probably be whipped through the streets already.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Blinge wrote:I'd like to see a Megaman title made in the souls style.. Yes, I mean 3D too. The future would be absolutely fucked and rusted and malfunctioning, everything falling apart.
So Miyazaki said DS3 was going to be a turning point for the series and to consider that From had done games about science fiction before and ninjas, so there could be other souls games that were not part of a fantasy setting. Ladies and gentleman, I bring you, Megaman Souls!

(Actually it is a funny statement because Bloodborne is already VictorianLovecraftSouls, so it isn't like adapting this format to other settings or even popular franchises would be hard.)
SHMUP sale page.
MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

I'd like to see a Souls game on a derelict space station. Kind of like Dead Space, but less linear and with better combat.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

Dark Souls is the modern Megaman.
Which is good. I have no problems or worries regarding new dark souls games, seeing how the scoring for the games in my opinion is: newer = better.
I'm lucky to be me
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

coming soon
DARK STOLES
Captain

Post by Captain »

Wasn't there supposed to be an edgy modern megaman game?

An FPS if i recall correctly, but with the series being Megaman X, I think it would have been very interesting.
Image Image
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah, EKSU woulda gone mad with unfathomable powwa, leaving his comrade ZERO to regretfully fulfill an old promise. ;-;

KINDA LIKE THE X SERIES SHOULDA DONE ANYWAY ROFL "Oh hi I'm not actually dead, let's go for a bite at [trendy coffee bar] before college!"
Squire Grooktook

Cagar wrote:Dark Souls is the modern Megaman.
It's better than Mega Man IMO.

It actually punishes you a bit when you die, so you get real arcade-like tension. It also manages to be fun on repeat playthroughs, something Mega Man has always struggled with and rarely achieved.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Captain

Post by Captain »

BIL wrote:Yeah, EKSU woulda gone mad with unfathomable powwa, leaving his comrade ZERO to regretfully fulfill an old promise. ;-;

KINDA LIKE THE X SERIES SHOULDA DONE ANYWAY ROFL "Oh hi I'm not actually dead, let's go for a bite at [trendy coffee bar] before college!"
Better late then never
Image Image
Squire Grooktook

Man, I'm so happy Capcom forced the whole "Copy X" idea, instead of letting Keiji turn X himself into Robo-Hitler-McEdgelord, like he wanted to.

Talk about stupid as shit.

*edit* missed BIL's post. Evil X would have been okay if it had come after 2-3 games, but after 8 games of purity...
Last edited by Squire Grooktook on Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I KNEW WHAT THAT LINK WAS BEFORE CLICKING (・`W´・) and yeah it's not really the same thing as actual character development, but at least it's some sort of progress from the X series' maddeningly static, reiterative plot. Zero 1-4 plot beats the usual "HE DIED, BUT THEN, HE COME BACK AGAIN AND THEY SCURRED" merry go-round.

Not that I'd care, but these games are chock-full of dialogue to mash through.
Squire Grooktook wrote:*edit* missed BIL's post. Evil X would have been okay if it had come after 2-3 games, but after 8 games of purity...
Agreed, by the point RMZ appeared that ship had sailed. Or never left port, I suppose.