From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Stevens

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by Stevens »

kid aphex wrote:I still don't own a PS4 and all I want to do is play Sekiro. This thread tortures me. Carry on.
What consoles do you have? Is not particularly demanding to run on pc, though if you want to crank up the graphics I think (not an expert) you need a semi decent set up.
My lord, I have come for you.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

It's pretty rough on base ps4 tbh. Load times are insane, random slogging too.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

At the point in KF4 now where I need to revisit a much earlier point (the Holy Forest) to progress. Because the game is quite linear and I haven't set any of my "leader stones" (warp mcguffins) that far back, I now have no idea how to return to it. The solution will be to go back to the central spire of the Ancient City and explore out toward every compass point again. :lol:

Some more highlights:

-A really good prison bit, where your search for a mechanism to unlock some gates leads you to a big button guarded by a dark magic-casting knight waiting zen-like for you. A clear precursor to a lot of encounters in the Souls series, he buffs himself and immediately starts RUNNING after you, dealing two hefty slashes in the time it takes you to swing one. Anything that can run in this game is automatically the deadliest.

-About 18 hours in it boldly throws a lengthy underwater section at its audience, most of them already tapping out in agony at the dry-land walk speed.

-Encountered the first genuinely "obscure" roadblock. A sealed door with which there seems to be no interaction. However, there's a tiny hatch next to it that will open if you present it with an egg, revealing a very pleased man who unlocks the door for you.

-Excellent battlefield area strewn with dragons' skeletons and poison pools. Some way into it there's a row of headstones, every one of them reading: "We worship the darkness. It is the Truth."

-I love how the game hides items. Obviously there are chests in hidden rooms everywhere but often important stuff is just sort of on the floor, in front of e.g. gravestones, or in places that the camera won't see if you don't move to a particular position (so it punishes always looking for the next exit and heading straight for it). The best was a ring I found on a dismembered skeleton hand clinging to a cliff edge. Only when I took the ring did the hand fall. You could play through the game several times and never see it.

-The Widda Queen's Palace, a Sen's Fortress style temple full of traps designed to thwart any "obvious" trap-avoiding strategies - there's a seriously nasty bit where you're forced to run between alcoves on either side of a corridor to avoid arrows firing down the middle, and the last one contains a trapdoor, completely without warning. There's a second nightmare situation waiting for you after you've negotiated the first, like a punchline. The palace also has a very strong Howard/Conan vibe, with snake-headed cultists who kidnap people and transform them into their own kind. It's very this.
Last edited by Klatrymadon on Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

NG+2 is in the books!

instead of starting NG+3 I downloaded some things and my fourth trip through Sekiro is going to be via the boss rush mod.

There is supposedly a patch that will let you start with all the tools and arts you would have at end game but I can't seem to get it to work. It is a bit grindy as a result, but it feels brand new in a way too.

If anyone is interested - in other mod news I found something interesting with the enemies die twice mod. If I didn't explain it before enemies die twice is a mod that lets you increase the health of all enemies (100 HP or higher) up to 255 deathblows.

After doing some tinkering with it I discovered that it will also let you reduce the number of deathblows required to down enemies as well. Now generally speaking Sekiro is a tight experience all around, but if there is one fight most people agree is too long it is Demon of Hatred. I've killed him legit, but two health bars as opposed to three is way more fun of a fight. You fight his 2nd and third phase as a result of the mod. Enjoy!
Steamflogger Boss

Absolutely definitive Sekiro boss tier list according to me listed by twitch emotes (monkaS being the hardest).

KEKW
Spoiler
Guardian Ape Ape, Folding Screen Monkeys, Divine Dragon, Gyoubu Oniwa, Corrupted Monk Illusion
4head
Spoiler
Headless Ape, Corrupted Monk, Great Shinobi Owl
Kappa
Spoiler
Genichiro, Isshin the Sword Saint
monkaS
Spoiler
Lady Butterfly, Owl Father, Demon of Hatred
All the mini-bosses are pretty much KEKW. Shichimen Warrior and Headless if you aren't careful I guess they could be in 4head.

This is a very important list, thank you for reading. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I'm having a good deal of fun with the boss rush mod. I have become fond of granting an enemy mercy ala Mortal Kombat and then beating them down again.

Since I have not done the Shura ending legit Issin and Emma are off the table for now.

It may be time to go charmless.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Klatrymadon wrote:-A really good prison bit, where your search for a mechanism to unlock some gates leads you to a big button guarded by a dark magic-casting knight waiting zen-like for you. A clear precursor to a lot of encounters in the Souls series, he buffs himself and immediately starts RUNNING after you, dealing two hefty slashes in the time it takes you to swing one. Anything that can run in this game is automatically the deadliest.

-About 18 hours in it boldly throws a lengthy underwater section at its audience, most of them already tapping out in agony at the dry-land walk speed.

-Encountered the first genuinely "obscure" roadblock. A sealed door with which there seems to be no interaction. However, there's a tiny hatch next to it that will open if you present it with an egg, revealing a very pleased man who unlocks the door for you.

-Excellent battlefield area strewn with dragons' skeletons and poison pools. Some way into it there's a row of headstones, every one of them reading: "We worship the darkness. It is the Truth."

-I love how the game hides items. Obviously there are chests in hidden rooms everywhere but often important stuff is just sort of on the floor, in front of e.g. gravestones, or in places that the camera won't see if you don't move to a particular position (so it punishes always looking for the next exit and heading straight for it). The best was a ring I found on a dismembered skeleton hand clinging to a cliff edge. Only when I took the ring did the hand fall. You could play through the game several times and never see it.

-The Widda Queen's Palace, a Sen's Fortress style temple full of traps designed to thwart any "obvious" trap-avoiding strategies - there's a seriously nasty bit where you're forced to run between alcoves on either side of a corridor to avoid arrows firing down the middle, and the last one contains a trapdoor, completely without warning. There's a second nightmare situation waiting for you after you've negotiated the first, like a punchline. The palace also has a very strong Howard/Conan vibe, with snake-headed cultists who kidnap people and transform them into their own kind. It's very this.
Not dissing Martin, but when his partnership with From was announced I couldn't help thinking that if Howard wasn't long dead he'd be the ideal collaborator.

Good spotlight on some of the reasons I liked this game so much.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Downed GSO charmless. Going to hold onto it for the foreseeable future.

Once I'm comfortable I'll add the Demon Bell.

I realized something about Sword Saint earlier today - Even though he uses the
Spoiler
black mortal blade
as his main weapon he never uses the
Spoiler
mortal draw

Interesting..
Illyrian

Post by Illyrian »

Stevens wrote:Downed GSO charmless. Going to hold onto it for the foreseeable future.

Once I'm comfortable I'll add the Demon Bell.

I realized something about Sword Saint earlier today - Even though he uses the
Spoiler
black mortal blade
as his main weapon he never uses the
Spoiler
mortal draw

Interesting..
I interpreted it as when he uses his vertical slashes that cause shockwaves etc he is doing this. I could be wrong it's just what I thought.
www.twitch.tv/illyriangaming
<RegalSin> we are supporting each other on our crotches
Steamflogger Boss

After playing through Sekiro again...yeah fuck idk. This and Bloodborne are both so amazing, I don't think I could pick between them.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Haha.

Started my fourth play through (charm less for now) after doing some house keeping (killing the two Shichimen, a Headless, and a little extra exploring) after killing Sword Saint.

Not too far in just yet - slaughtered the Chained Ogre with fire and cloud flurry. He is even easier when you stop dodging and parry him.

Going to try to be stealthy and speedy this run. My arm is maxed and I only need a few skill points to get the one or two arts I don't have. Money shouldn't be an issue - I've got like 100 confetti and it is basically all I buy anyway.

I'll have a few days to myself (like 4) in two weeks. Going to go through Bloobborne again.
Steamflogger Boss

Yeah I got to that point with divine confetti. Basically the only use for money by the end of non-NG run even. I had over 300 I think.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

So my Bloodborne build:

Thinking of -

Vit 50

End 20-25

Ski 50

BT 50

Where should I put the rest? Suggestions welcome.
Last edited by Stevens on Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steamflogger Boss

Stevens wrote:So my Bloodborne build:

Thinking of -

Vit 50

End 20-25

Ski 50

BT 50

Where should I put the rest. Also suggestions welcome.
Other than Vitality this is close to what my last character ended up being. VIT was 10 lol. I'd check everything exactly tonight but I unhooked the PS4 and put it in a drawer (ahhh to live with cats). This certainly seems quite fine, you'll be more than powerful enough.

Have you still not played Old Hunters yet? I can't remember. I killed Ludwig with the Chikage morphed, that was insane.

It's worth doing an Arcane build too if you are planning on multiple additional runs. This is probably my favorite way to play. Almost every tool has it's use. The Augur and the Eye (EYE BOOGERS) are the bread and butter. I think the Augur is one of the first ones you can really get. The Gloves with their high bullet cost are more of a niche use case, but certainly...very useful when you need them... A Call Beyond is for most boss fights, you really want to get it AS SOON AS POSSIBLE even though it wonks your order a bit. Talk about total annihilation. Accursed Brew is excellent but you get it sooooo late. Like stupidly late. I never did use the Tiny Tonitrus much.

Also the Flamesprayer is extremely important, and one of the first things you can get.
Spoiler
Get it immediately after killing Father G from that NPC in a house.
It will carry you to the Augur.
Steamflogger Boss

Immryr wrote:
Stevens wrote:
Immryr wrote:i've been playing NG+ a bit and then i suddenly thought "there must be more than two ninjitsu skills" so i looked it up. apparently you get the third one for
Spoiler
killing the headless ape
however, i killed him in NG, but i don't have the skill.... hmm....
Are you sure you killed him?

Glad I'm not the only one enjoying Sekiro, nice to sink hours into a game others are also enjoying. If I had to guess I would say I've doubled my Bloodborne play time.
yep, the single fight and the double fight.
Just saw this. Did you REALLY REALLY kill him the second time?
Spoiler
Use the mortal draw after the fight is over to get the IMMORTALITY SEVERED message?
Illyrian wrote:
Stevens wrote:Well here I am. Presumably at what is the final battle
Spoiler
Sword Saint

I didn't
Spoiler
look at your O and S strat. What I did was Gaichiin, sneak around, puppet. The trickiest part about this is not getting hit by your puppet. After I killed Oniwa I wailed on the sword dude like 40 times for fun. Ok maybe not 40 but you get the idea.

So my real question is this - am I ready to wrap this up or do I go after Demon of Hatred and or the two apes?

Not sure.

Oh I found my way into the operating room in the dungeon.
Spoiler
Demon of Hatred isn't a very good fight. There are some janky attack hitboxes at play and it goes on for too long. In particular it has a charge attack with a short wind up and a weirdly wide hitbox that requires a very specific jump away that will almost certainly 1-shot you if it hits you, unless you have 30+ prayer beads. If you're a completionist go and do it. It is harder than Sword Saint in my opinion. You can break it a bit with one of the Finger Whistle upgrades that let's you stun it, it's still pretty rubbish. Looks cool though. I've beaten it once and never bothered to fight it again.
Wanted to address this as well now that I finally did this fight.
Spoiler
Yeah pretty much spot on. That charge attack is fucked to hell. I had to redo the fight so many times largely due to that move. I got to the point where I was easily 100% dodging every other move in the first two phases. I could dodge that bullshit maybe 50%, I'm not fully sure, it felt bad. Unsurprisingly the time I cleared it, I think he just didn't do the move much, and I pulled off a dodge or two on it. Worth noting that the finger whistle only works three times before he ignores it. You really want to save it for the third phase which has a difficulty spike. I agree it's harder than Isshin. I think Owl Father is too. Lady Butterfly when fought very early as well, at least in my experience. I actually downed Isshin fairly fast as I was totally zoned in. I only died to him once. I lost track on Demon of Hatred..
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Haha. Yeah I have no beef with lowering DOH to two health bars. If anyone wants to know how holler.

Thanks for the build tips, I'll probably dump the rest into VIT. I haven't played Old Hunters yet, but I am definitely adding it on this play through. I know a few pages back I have everything in what order I want to do it in.
Steamflogger Boss

Stevens wrote:Haha. Yeah I have no beef with lowering DOH to two health bars. If anyone wants to know how holler.

Thanks for the build tips, I'll probably dump the rest into VIT. I haven't played Old Hunters yet, but I am definitely adding it on this play through. I know a few pages back I have everything in what order I want to do it in.
Yeah that order is really solid for a normal build like what you are doing. Arcane build kinda fucks with the order because you really need some of the tools.

Old Hunters is amazing, I'll definitely be following your first time exploits. So many amazing fights are coming your way.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

DOH... that charge? I just jump while holding analog left as soon as I see the danger symbol.
I think it counts as a sweep? I've had big success just jumping.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Steamflogger Boss

Look at the god of gaming over here bragging jeez.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Hahaha. noo! it's advice! :|

Don't wuz i've been killed by that fucking move umptween times
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Jeez that was the least of my problems with him.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Blinge wrote:DOH... that charge? I just jump while holding analog left as soon as I see the danger symbol.
I think it counts as a sweep? I've had big success just jumping.
I literally just did a neutral jump and it never hit me, it is a sweep
Steamflogger Boss

That didn't work for me, but I was also playing unpatched.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Bananamatic wrote:
I literally just did a neutral jump and it never hit me, it is a sweep
This was my solution also. Except this one time I was behind him and not touching him, thought I was safe, and got hit by an invisible wall.

That was some bullshit.
Steamflogger Boss

I do find it interesting to see what other people have trouble with compared to myself. I literally wasn't getting hit by any other moves from that guy.

DOH and Owl Father were the toughest two for me.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

On NG I would say Lady Butterfly, GSO, Guardian Ape, and SS.

Butterfly was boss #1 so I was a bit under leveled (probably 40 or so tries), GSO took 15-20, Ape about the same and Issin around 50 over the course of a day or two. DOH is up there, but maybe in the neighborhood of 25 as it wasn't one of those fights I did over and over due to the perceived length of it.

I'm on NG+3 charmless and trying to be stealthy. Gyobou took me three tries this time, never died on him before in a run.

LB seems to be much more likely to back away, but chasing slice helped a bunch. Died two or three times on her but definitely used res to beat her.

Genichiro was the same. Hit a little harder but not hard enough.

Long Swordsman - the camera is your greatest special move, once I was able to keep it centered he went down no problem.

Next up Senpou or Sunken. So small non human primates or one giant non human primate.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Yo Lost Kingdoms Part 2 is up.

Just wanted to share the story beat in which we see the rival character for the first time.
at 31:04

https://youtu.be/CAIVcQ3R-w8

Will stop harping on about it now. :lol:
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

NG+3, Mortal Blade in hand.

Charmless + two naginata monks = a quick fucking death. I died a fair bit on Senpou. Going charmless and trying new arts/prosthetics proved to be a bit much for me. Once I went to my tried and true I was able to get by. I guess one or the other but not both applies here.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Blinge wrote:Yo Lost Kingdoms Part 2 is up.

Just wanted to share the story beat in which we see the rival character for the first time.
at 31:04

https://youtu.be/CAIVcQ3R-w8

Will stop harping on about it now. :lol:
I don't understand the mechanics at all but that was pretty cool. :mrgreen:

Agreed on what you said in the video about downtime. Some fighting games try to evoke that as well in supplementary material, to remind you they have a life outside of punching people for three rounds.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Whew Centipede Giraffe threw me a bunch of beatin's before I made it passed.

Had a long fight with Ape, but was never really in any peril.

Depths next.

I definitely see the game starting to get harder.