From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Steamflogger Boss

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Stevens wrote:The Martyr has been laid to rest. Took four or five tries. Shredded him with the saw cleaver.

Off to Upper Cathedral next, then back to the Nurse.
Nice. Were you able to stop his buff? When he goes to power up if you disrupt him it at least stops him from then ignoring all shots and staggers. The 2nd part of the fight is kind of a bitch if you don't. Either way nicely done.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

He buffs?
..You can stop his buff?

I thought his charge up was just him placing his (fuckin' northern Regalia) sword in the ground to create a turret ??

Logarius is similar to Paarl, though not quite as extreme, in that when you choose to fight him changes everything. Stevens I'd say that was a late Logarius.
Early Logarius can be rather tough.

When Blinge first met Logarius

timestamped but make sure you skip to 20:40 (stevens) otherwise spoiluz!

Oh steamflogz if you wanna laugh at micolash killing me you can check a bit earlier in the vid too..
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Yeah definitely a bit late. I guess the one thing I had when I started was the "ideal" order list. Alas..

Late Logarius makes up for my early Paarl.

No I didn't stop his hulk out, but I was able to just sit outside his AOE when he wanted to make it rain. Would run in and get a few quick hits. Then when he jumped I dove towards and would run back and get a few more.

In the UC now. Once I finish BB I am going to take a break. I'm not BB'd out yet and I don't want to hit that point. There is another game I'm itching to play.
My lord, I have come for you.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Haha. Got a kick when that brain fucker grabbed you from T Hawk range.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Brain fucker is an apt way to put it.
Brain Suckers and Brain fuckers.

Are you gonna do the Chalice dungeons at any point Stevens?
Also you'd better get that DLC or your pink haired fraulein will disapprove of you.

I gotta rant about the Evelyn real quick. It's great but it actually sucks. D=
The barrel is so fucking long that when i wanna parry bitches from point blank as is necessary sometimes, the shot just goes straight through them!!
This doesn't happen to me with the regular ol' Hunter's pistol. =/
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I only did the first one.

Going to save the DLC for my next play through (not NG+) - going to make a new character and I think go with a skill build.

I think..
Steamflogger Boss

Blinge wrote:He buffs?
..You can stop his buff?

I thought his charge up was just him placing his (fuckin' northern Regalia) sword in the ground to create a turret ??
I dunno it's kinda like a buff. If you let him finish it properly he deflects all bullets and doesn't get staggered as mentioned. It's fairly easy to disrupt that part. His move set change including the sword stab into the ground will happen regardless.

So god damn it, I didn't get enough BB and revisited an old friend (my previous character) to finish off the Chalice work. I was actually pretty close, I just started getting a little burned out last time at like 88 hours. I took down
Spoiler
the Watch Dog in defiled and got to the Amoogliedooglie. Had kind of a time with it because having half health sucks balls. I've been extremely close to killing it 2-3 different times so I'm sure I'll get it eventually
. That should give me the last chalice I need and I am pretty sure I already have all the materials I need for it. Then it's just a matter of trudging to the bottom to get to you know who which I will do as quickly as possible.

I forgot a couple things about this boi. I got really mad at Orphan and jacked up VIT to 50, lol. Also have LHB up to like 755 powah or some shit like that.
Blinge wrote:
I gotta rant about the Evelyn real quick. It's great but it actually sucks. D=
The barrel is so fucking long that when i wanna parry bitches from point blank as is necessary sometimes, the shot just goes straight through them!!
This doesn't happen to me with the regular ol' Hunter's pistol. =/
Otoh you can get the damage up so high that you can actually do meaningful damage with it.
Steamflogger Boss

Well I cracked open the
Spoiler
Great Pthumeru Ihyll Chalice
and wow what a riot. Some really cool enemies in here so far.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Spoiler
Maybe this is also the story of Metal Black
Steamflogger Boss

Spoiler
Oh hay.

The Holy Moonlight Sword finally had a use.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Nice man.

Yeah the Holy Moonlight wasn't all that great for me and my Arcane char, i mean i only got to use it for the latter part of the DLC.
But the transformation attack into green mode was great. loved that move.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I'm at the end. Only Gehrman stands between me and what will probably be a downer ending.

I decided to skip the Upper Cathedral. I didn't want to force it in, however I am already planning my next play through.

What I need from you cats is a little input. I'm going to start a NG and so not to miss anything this is the path I plan on taking:
Spoiler
Central Y
Old Y
Cathedral Ward - may or may not fight VC here. Won't touch the statue until after Hemwick. Want to see it in the light.
Hemwick Road
Forest to Cave (get letter for Cainhurst)
Forest
Bryg
Cainhurst
Unseen Village
Upper Cathedral
Orphanage
Nightmare
Dream
I plan on playing the DLC too, so my question is this - Where would the DLC fit in with the above, and is the above path more or less OK?

It has been quite a ride. I look forward to finishing it and getting back on in a month or two.
Steamflogger Boss

That path looks fine to me. I did Cainhurst early last time because I needed items from there for my build.

The DLC is balls to the wall. I'd slot it right in before the end game.

If you are going full research/spoiling yourself for the second run read this after you beat the game.
Spoiler
You might have had the game end for you after killing Gehrman. I actually lucked into the true final boss on my first run after later finding out I almost screwed it up by killing Iosefka early. Anyway in the Lecture Building I'm sure you noticed the notes that said: "The nameless moon presence beckoned by Laurence and his associates. Paleblood." and "Three third cords." I'm also sure you noticed you got one after you killed Mergo's Wet Nurse. If you use three of those third umbilical cords you get another fight after Gehrman. There are three more out there for a total of four and two are missable. One is in the Abandoned Old Workshop (this is fairly hidden). One miss-able cord can be obtained by going to Iosefka's Clinic AFTER you kill Rom (this is the one I fucked up) by killing her on the table and she will drop it. The other one requires the completion of Arianna's side quest. You have to send her to the chapel and then after you kill Micolash she gives birth to an evil spawn in the sewer below the chapel. You might be able to send her to the clinic but I've never done it that way.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Stevens did you see the nightmare frontier? Meet Amygdala?
you can be sent here by talking to the guy in the window in forbidden woods next to the cave leading back to Iosefka's..
Also there's a weird thing where Patches can take over every single door and window in Yharnam and offer you the Tonsil stone every time.

Also everyone else, I had a really good fight against OoK in NG+3
https://youtu.be/K9ygKJlAh_I
Steamflogger Boss

Huh you might be right, he only listed Nightmare once.

Nice vid m8.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Huh you might be right, he only listed Nightmare once.

Nice vid m8.
Yeah you guys are right I only did the one nightmare. I went to the other door in the Lecture Hall but didn't open it. Is that it?

Ok I think I know what I'm going to do - I bailed on the Upper Cathedral in this play through. I figured save it rather than force it.

Upper Cathedral - Orphanage - DLC - New Nightmare - Mensis - Hunter's Dream

This will make my endgame almost totally new. That will make it fun.
Steamflogger Boss

Stevens wrote:I went to the other door in the Lecture Hall but didn't open it. Is that it?
Yup.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Nope, do 'new' nightmare (frontier) earlier.
Early as you can tbh.
Steamflogger Boss

Blinge is right, it would be too easy that late.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Rumors have it that we'll get some kind of reveal for Elden Ring this Friday at some stupid videogame award show.
Steamflogger Boss

Sumez wrote:Rumors have it that we'll get some kind of reveal for Elden Ring this Friday at some stupid videogame award show.
Correct. I'll not watch the thing live but I'll probably check it out later. Hopefully some gameplay info.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Blinge is right, it would be too easy that late.
I'll slot it in right after Unseen Village then. Right? You kill The One Reborn and then you are sent to Lecture Hall?
ryu

Post by ryu »

Sumez wrote:Rumors have it that we'll get some kind of reveal for Elden Ring this Friday at some stupid videogame award show.
There's a rumor for just about everything videogame related to be shown on VGA...
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Sure. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen though.

It didn't happen though.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Stevens wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:Blinge is right, it would be too easy that late.
I'll slot it in right after Unseen Village then. Right? You kill The One Reborn and then you are sent to Lecture Hall?
Naiiiii. First of all did you go to the village the first time? Immediately after killing BSB you can get yourself killed by a bagger and abducted to Yaharghul.

As for Nightmare Frontier: go there after shadows of Yharnam, i think. That's a good time.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Sekiro - I may put spoilers within spoilers.

Clearly I'm in a From Software coma right now. I'm about 10-15 hours in and here are my initial spoiler free thoughts -

Playing on PC, max settings. I get a smooth 60 FPS. The daytime (something Bloodborne didn't have:) - particularly walking through the trees while the shadows play off of everything is almost peaceful. The snow falls gently. I've been some other places too, but am going to save that for another time.

The sound is great, as is the music. The two boss themes I have heard so far are good, but one I like way better. Like the Wet Nurse's lullaby it stands in stark contrast to what is happening on screen.

Game play

Well this is the real crux ain't it? Early on
Spoiler
some jerk liberates you from your left arm
and naturally this has a huge impact on the game. They nailed
Spoiler
Bionic Commado:) Except the Shinobi Prosthetic is way cooler.
The combat is fast, fun, and unforgiving. Like the other FS games you are put into new situations that will force you to use what you have learned harmoniously if you are to survive. That is really the only similarity though. Learning to when to parry, when to guard, when to strike with your sword,
Spoiler
when to use your Shinobi Prosthetic, and which tool to use
, and when to retreat are all paramount.

In the SB games I never really ever payed any attention to my stamina. In Sekiro you have to keep track of your health and your posture. Lose track of either and you're fucked. I have a terrible habit of losing track of my health:D

So far it's incredible. The combat, especially against bigger enemies/bosses is just so satisfying
Spoiler
OMG THOSE EXECUTIONS
. One boss killed me almost more than every boss in BB combined. Not kidding. It's very twitchy in that regard. More so than anything else from FS. It is incredibly fast.

Level design, while (so far) not on the level of BB, is still pretty damn good with tons of places to go and many paths through areas and multiple ways to solve problems (enemies). I feel I have far more freedom in how I move through an area, even if overall I think Yharnam is cooler.

I think that is good for now. I look forward to getting deeper into this one. I think my favorite thing about it is that it feels like a From Software game through and through, but doesn't feel like a souls game at all. Game of the Year? Yeah I would say so. Single player game of the decade? It would have to duke it out with its brothers first..

Definitely more to come.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Is Stevens the chosen one??

although moving onto Sekkyboyz without playing Old Hunters is mind boggling :lol:
I understand wanting to avoid burnout, of course.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Blinge wrote: I understand wanting to avoid burnout, of course.
All about that. Don't worry - I will go back to Yharnam at some point.
Steamflogger Boss

Blinge wrote:Is Stevens the chosen one??
What do you mean by this? lol
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

The one to lead FromSoftware to a new age.
Who will bring balance to the salt.