From Software 'n such

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Blinge

Re: From Software 'n such

Post by Blinge »

hahah, are you doing a whole playthrough with it?
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Yeah with 10 Vitality too. It's great fun.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Jeez. I wonder if I'll love BB enough to try that.

As it stands I do like it better than DS, chances of me playing through it twice are good.

DS was a bit weak in the 2nd half tbh.
My lord, I have come for you.
Steamflogger Boss

I can't imagine playing it just once haha.

Downed Amelia (one try suck it) and the Witches (two tries, fucked up the first go sadly). Time for a wee jaunt into the woods to go get my castle summons.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

The woods are fucking awesome. The further I go the better it gets.

What a great area.

Those snake fuckers dies easy, but they're creepy as all hell.
Steamflogger Boss

Have you been to Cainhurst yet?
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

No. More awesome I presume?
Steamflogger Boss

It's my favorite area of the game, it's extremely black metal. I swiftly got my ass kicked by the boss there but before that I got all the loot including muh Evelyn and boy does she pack a punch. I used Eve to cheese a pseudo/mini boss in the woods (that I can't discuss details of w/o massive spoilers) quickly. Almost done with the woods as I tackled that instead of the Cainhurst boss but I'll be back for that fucker. Breaks muh heart that I won't be able to use the Cannon at all, I forgot that it requires 30!!! strength.
Austin

Post by Austin »

You guys are making me want to play through Bloodborne again. Such a damn good game. I might have to do that soon.

I did another run of the original DS a few weeks back. I've always touted it as my favorite, but I may have to bring it down a few pegs and replace it with Bloodborne. After I defeated Ornstein and Smough, I didn't really feel like playing anymore knowing I'd have to deal with Seath's area, the Catacombs/Tomb of the Giants and Lost Izalith. Ugh. Definitely the least enjoyable areas in the game for me. Bloodborne definitely has a better flow overall from start to finish. I don't get the feeling as much like it drags on in the later parts of the game.

Side ramble: It's not From Software, but a friend loaned me a copy of Code Vein. I started it today and put a couple hours into it. Boring exposition aside (you can skip through it), it's basically Anime Souls. Dodge rolling, healing, blocking, parrying, backstabbing, bonfire style mechanics that act as checkpoints and refresh all the enemies in an area, most of it's there. The combat is pretty fun too. It doesn't seem as overtly challenging so far, but you can get your ass kicked pretty easily if you're not careful. Game is pretty linear just an hour or two in, but I'm enjoying it nonetheless. Will report back on it later, it might be worth checking out for some of you.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Have you been to Cainhurst yet?
Haha don't know where Stevens comes down on this but in my virgin run this would've been a spoiler to me. :wink:
Austin wrote:After I defeated Ornstein and Smough, I didn't really feel like playing anymore knowing I'd have to deal with Seath's area, the Catacombs/Tomb of the Giants and Lost Izalith.
Duke's Archives is fine tho?

Yeah I think we should open up the discussion to Soulslikes in this thread also. I'll get around to playing one.. eventually.

As for me I wanted to get all the cheeves on my steam version of DS1 also and nearly have it done, just need to get that Sif soul twice more. However I've hit a snag in that my build probably sucks and I'm still using BKGS. I'm made of paper so a quick enemy hits me once and now i can't get a hit in.. It might force me to actually play well ffs, I'm used to not having to do that in DS1.
I upgraded Guts' Greatsword to +15.. but now I see perhaps the scaling isn't great.
My goal is to run the game up to NG+7
- was thinking Gsword or Clay/Zwei + Sunlight Blade
Austin

Post by Austin »

Blinge wrote:
Austin wrote:After I defeated Ornstein and Smough, I didn't really feel like playing anymore knowing I'd have to deal with Seath's area, the Catacombs/Tomb of the Giants and Lost Izalith.
Duke's Archives is fine tho?
Nah, sorry--I should have clarified. Pretty much everything past the gold fog door in Anor Londo. I always think of the Duke's Archives as a part of "Seath's area".

Everything attached to Seath isn't bad honestly. I usually take care of it first and as I do it, there's a constant dread/brace-for-tedium that comes with knowing I still have to do Izalith and the Catacombs/Tomb of Giants.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Austin wrote:You guys are making me want to play through Bloodborne again. Such a damn good game. I might have to do that soon.

After I defeated Ornstein and Smough, I didn't really feel like playing anymore
This is exactly what I was talking about.
Blinge wrote: Haha don't know where Stevens comes down on this but in my virgin run this would've been a spoiler to me. :wink:
Nah just a name, still don't know anything about it or where it is. I did skip SB's post though.:D
Steamflogger Boss

Austin wrote:Side ramble: It's not From Software, but a friend loaned me a copy of Code Vein. I started it today and put a couple hours into it. Boring exposition aside (you can skip through it), it's basically Anime Souls. Dodge rolling, healing, blocking, parrying, backstabbing, bonfire style mechanics that act as checkpoints and refresh all the enemies in an area, most of it's there. The combat is pretty fun too. It doesn't seem as overtly challenging so far, but you can get your ass kicked pretty easily if you're not careful. Game is pretty linear just an hour or two in, but I'm enjoying it nonetheless. Will report back on it later, it might be worth checking out for some of you.
I had another guy recommend it, but he loves basically anything that's a video game. It did put it on my radar a bit though and nice to see a rec here. I'll be sure to read your follow up on it. Currently, it's not cheap enough for me.
Blinge wrote:
Steamflogger Boss wrote:Have you been to Cainhurst yet?
Haha don't know where Stevens comes down on this but in my virgin run this would've been a spoiler to me. :wink:
I thought about that actually, but felt it was okay. Going a bit more in depth...
Spoiler
I did actually figure it out on the first playthrough. I think it's completely natural if you are exploring to find the back entrance to Iosefka's Clinic. Of course I killed everything in there immediately, and lost out on an umbilical cord. Then obviously I read the text on the letter and immediately went to Hemwick to try and figure it out. I spent a lot of time waiting at the end of the cliff past the dogs thinking maybe it would just take a bit or something. LOL. Then I was like okay well what's some weird shit here and conveniently the obelisk/tower was pretty much the closest thing.
@Stevens: My last post was totally safe, I'm trying really hard here. XD
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

I don't know how big the woods are, but I haven't found the end of them yet. I always walk when I reach someplace new. I made it through the opening, down the hill where the first mob is (with the guy throwing what I presume is gas but looks like shit), into the village like area with the pit trap. Made my way through the houses (all of them) while dodging cannon asshole. Went into the ramshackle tower, explored as much as I could, and found the cannon (Question - will the cannon make the game EZ mode?)

Great snake reveal. I back stabbed and v'ed the first guy, but when I went to the bridge I saw the snake parasite, 180'd, ran back inside, and teleported the fuck out of there (I had close to 60,000 echoes). On my return trip (I opened the shortcut in the house by the pit), knowing what to expect, it wasn't such a shock. Made my way further in still through all those fucking small, parasite, and big poison spitting fuckers. The area seems pretty big so I try to sweep left to right as I move forward as to not miss anything.

I dropped a coin right (do they stay active after leaving?) passed where the first big poison spitting fucker and his crew are. It is kind of an intersection where I could go left, right or straight. That is where I left off.

Don't know what's ahead, but looking forward to finding out.

I don't know if I'll have a chance to play today, but tomorrow should definitely afford me a few hours to at least (I'm guessing) find the boss, get my ass handed to me a few times, and maybe kill it.
Steamflogger Boss

Re the cannon: not really, it takes a bunch of bullets for each shot. Getting it to max level is pretty big damage, nice option to have on bosses to do some ranged chunk damage but not terribly useful while exploring.

You, uh, missed something in that building.
Spoiler
Or you didn't think it was worth mentioning. Rookie mistake. :twisted: :twisted:
The woods are huge, you likely have a bunch more left. The boss ain't shit imo but everyone has their own experience with this game.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:Re the cannon: not really, it takes a bunch of bullets for each shot. Getting it to max level is pretty big damage, nice option to have on bosses to do some ranged chunk damage but not terribly useful while exploring.

You, uh, missed something in that building.
Spoiler
Or you didn't think it was worth mentioning. Rookie mistake. :twisted: :twisted:
The woods are huge, you likely have a bunch more left. The boss ain't shit imo but everyone has their own experience with this game.
Good to know about the cannon - I'm still a few strength shy myself. My build is basically Vit, End, Str, Skill. I haven't put anything into bt or arc yet.

As far as the bosses I hear you. I beat Cleric Beast on my first try but have read others having trouble with it. Watchdog and Darkbeast gave me a fair bit of trouble. I wound up using summons for them.

Not clicking the spoiler, but I did go out front of the building and I sent that guy to Odeon. I went outside out back too, I also found the elevator I can't use yet.

EDIT - Clicked on the spoiler after I posted. Well played sir.
Steamflogger Boss

You might have fought Darkbeast Paarl fairly early. That reminds me I need to go kill that so I can buy Bolt Paper.

You'll know exactly when to read this spoiler about that guy you sent to the chapel
Spoiler
He got me a bit the first time. Pretty sure he gets everyone the first time. I was suspicious from the jump and tried to talk to him multiple times hoping for more dialogue options but ultimately sent him to the Chapel. When I came back and someone was dead I told him it's time to die. Don't remember if I had text options or I just attacked him outright.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:You might have fought Darkbeast Paarl fairly early.
Somehow I managed to quote you and not read the spoiler.

Anyways yeah that would explain a lot. I had to use some of Henryk's gear and a summon. Watchdog of the Lords I used a summon and still almost didn't make it.
Steamflogger Boss

Watchdog of the Lords is chalice only right?

I dumped on Paarl. I switched to Reiterpallasch as I feel it is still on brand. Not being able to use papers on the Rifle Spear was pissing me off. Proceeded to take down Rom after that.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Early Paarl was a fucking nightmare for me.

Paarl..
Spoiler
On the return to Yaharghul is a bit of a joke. Never sure what's the best time to fight him.
Steamflogger Boss

Blinge wrote:Early Paarl was a fucking nightmare for me.

Paarl..
Spoiler
On the return to Yaharghul is a bit of a joke. Never sure what's the best time to fight him.
Spoiler
By the time I fought Paarl this time it was definitely a joke. Did it right before Rom so I had already taken out the three boiz in the graveyard and had went through Cainhurst so like, yeah pretty weak at that point. By return do you mean when you go to Yahargul proper after Rom? If so, complete joke at that point IMO. My first playthrough I fought Paarl after BSB which is a much more harrowing experience.
Steamflogger Boss

Stevens

Post by Stevens »

The best part of that thread was how many banned users there were.
Steamflogger Boss

That's basically every gaf thread tbh. Buncha crazies.

I came across it searching for stuff on weapons going through walls of all things.
HELLEPHANT

Post by HELLEPHANT »

Different enemies have "invincibility frames" that you can't predict or know until you get punished over and over
Huh :lol:
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Great first time through the forest. I was about 2/3's through it when I went back to finish it.

I found a cave upon returning. There were some giants there. Also some eels that promptly ate my face off and probably raped my corpse. If eels are into that sort of thing. I've put a pin in the cave for now.

On another path I found a bunch of alien looking things that reminded me of mages a bit. They hit hard but are made of glass.

There were a shit ton of runes in the woods. Don't know if I found them all, but like three or four.

Soldiered on. Found the Shadows, killed them on my second try although the last one almost KO'd me with his snake out of the ground ultra. Fight was basically kite and ring around the headstone. Killed the non magic ones first. I think the mage one shit his pants when his friends died. It was over quick after that.

Pressed on to Brygenworth. Amazing place. I just wanted to talk to the hunter upstairs, but they wanted to fight. Parry city. Dead. Talked to the old guy (you vets know where this is going) and he points, so I put on the school robes and he does the same thing. OK. I jump in. Pretty. What's that? I'll go closer. Oh you look really smart, can I talk to you? No? Hmm. Item maybe? Nope. Do you like to be hit? Nope again. And then it turned into Starship Troopers except I didn't have a space rifle.

I fought Rom maybe three times. 3rd bout I went in with LHB which I think is what I am going to run with. I was able to get him to the 2nd phase, but then he hit me in the head with what could only be described as the iceberg that sunk the Titanic.

My strength is 29, going to get it to 30 and see if the cannon helps. I know he is weak to bolt (thanks random hunter note), and much of the fight appears to be spacing and hoarding his kids so you can get in close. May also try beast pellets (have not used them yet), but I'll test them first. Not a fan of trying something new in a boss fight.

That's it for now. Should get a lot of time this weekend. No plans for the first time in like a month.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Stevens wrote: I know he is weak to bolt (thanks random hunter note), and much of the fight appears to be spacing and hoarding his kids so you can get in close.
Reasons i play offline on my blind play!

:lol: Anyway I enjoyed that tale.
I think the first time I defeated Rom I wiped out all her kids first.

Great job on the shadows!
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Blinge wrote:
Stevens wrote: I know he is weak to bolt (thanks random hunter note), and much of the fight appears to be spacing and hoarding his kids so you can get in close.
Reasons i play offline on my blind play!

:lol: Anyway I enjoyed that tale.
I think the first time I defeated Rom I wiped out all her kids first.

Great job on the shadows!
Thanks!

The children don't re spawn? Interesting.. That could make for quite the battle. I might try that.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

She shoots out a fresh batch with each trimester
Steamflogger Boss

Yeah I always play offline, so notes didn't ruin anything for me.

If you are moving in on the Cannon, and this might be common sense but
Spoiler
Bone Marrow Ash becomes a hot commodity
Blinge wrote:She shoots out a fresh batch with each trimester
Amazing way to put it loool.

I killed the two lamest/easiest bosses in the game. The boss after those two was giving me a bit of trouble this run... So then dipped back into the Old Hunters DLC. The Reity is nice, but man those hunters just ignore the hits in terms of staggering so I had to go back to the Rifle Spear to lock them up a bit. Otherwise they just hit way too hard for my frail body.