shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:23 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1744 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59
 Post subject: Re: From Software 'n such
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:26 am 

I've been sitting on Scholar for quite a while now—played through the original on PS3 when it was released and missed the DLCs, but all the changes in Scholar make me hesitant about wanting to go through the whole thing again (particular the Heide Knight changes because I really loved the non-aggro nature of those guys in the original DS2). Is it even possible to purchase the original game + DLC on a platform that runs it at 60fps?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:15 am 

I don't want my comments to turn anyone off from playing SotFS. I do think it's the weakest FS RPG, but that's a damn high bar. I still enjoyed it for what it was, evidenced by the 170 hours I put into it. It's just... Ineligant. It's like comparing Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3. 3 is a great game, but damn what a step backwards.

I don't think my opinion would even change much were I playing Vanilla DS2. Almost every aspect of the game feels weaker than other souls games to me, and the forced difficulty is definitely not the worst offender. I really utterly hate the changes to rolling and poise, and adaptability is such a stupid statistic.

Image Image

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:15 am 

it290 wrote:
(particular the Heide Knight changes because I really loved the non-aggro nature of those guys in the original DS2). Is it even possible to purchase the original game + DLC on a platform that runs it at 60fps?

Steam. The original version is still available there with DLC and it runs at 60 fps. It was on sale last month (may still be as of typing this) for $10 with all DLC. I played my last run via PS3 but I'll probably do the Steam version next thanks to the framerate. It's one of the things I do miss from Scholar.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:17 am 

ACSeraph wrote:
I don't want my comments to turn anyone off from playing SotFS. I do think it's the weakest FS RPG, but that's a damn high bar. I still enjoyed it for what it was, evidenced by the 170 hours I put into it. It's just... Ineligant. It's like comparing Silent Hill 2 and Silent Hill 3. 3 is a great game, but damn what a step backwards.

I don't think my opinion would even change much were I playing Vanilla DS2. Almost every aspect of the game feels weaker than other souls games to me, and the forced difficulty is definitely not the worst offender. I really utterly hate the changes to rolling and poise, and adaptability is such a stupid statistic.

To use a schump analogy, SOTFS feels like a badly made "second loop" at times. I feel like as a totally new player to the series, areas like Heide's tower with the knights activated and the Iron Keep with all the Allone Knights before Smelter Demon (and then the Smelter Demon) would be incredibly frustrating. I mean I wasn't new to the game when I played Scholar and I thought it was a bit over the top.

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1744 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59