current favorite albums

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
rapoon

Re: current favorite albums

Post by rapoon »

BIL wrote:
rapoon wrote:interesting samhain trivia, 'archangel' off of initium is actually a misfits song. i think it was suppose to be on walk among us, but got squeezed out and dumped onto initium.
november coming fire is a great album. as a teenager, the yearly ritual was to have it playing on repeat every halloween.
Also "All Hell Breaks Loose" resurfacing on Unholy Passion - that surprised me. :mrgreen:

Funny how frayed the boundaries of late Misfits/early Samhain are. It feels like such a luxury to come in decades later with everything neatly traceable via the internet (guess that's true for smaller labels in general... hell, smaller/obscurer anything). The final incarnation of Static Age with "She," "Spinal Remains" and "In The Doorway" has been a favourite of mine since release - for years I assumed it just appeared that way in 1978, instead of gradually assembling over decades and various labels.

Been blasting Earth AD the last couple days. Although I slightly prefer the rock n' roll-influences of Static Age to their 80s albums, this one's annihilatingly brutal speed is addictive as hell. GREAT sleeve art, too.
Spoiler

Purple/green BG and monochrome undead? WTF is this, Castlevania?! Image I knew that colour scheme seemed familiar...
Spoiler

that's a great version of 'all hell breaks loose'; i prefer it to the misfits version. i'm partial to the late 70's/early 80s misfits. classic sing-alongs like 'skulls' (ever heard evan dando (the lemonheads) acoustic cover of this? worth a listen), 'horror business', and 'attitude' resonated well with me as a 14yo and still does >20 years later. Glenns bizarre vocal mix of Elvis and Jim Morrison contributed too. despite his shortcomings and dick personality, he's a pioneer. it's hard to find an old punk rocker who doesn't like the Misfits or see them and/or glenn as a huge inspirational source. for this reason, i've always held him in high regard.

It was the characteristic of speed that you enjoyed about Earth A.D. which turned me off. as a kid, the friend who introduced me to the misfits claimed this as his fav album. it was always Earth A.D. or Slayer 'Reign in blood'. same guy had Earth A.D. on vinyl, and that's no bullshit about the sleeve art; it's fantastic. all this chit-chat about The Misfits brought a wave of nostalgia over me, hence the 'as a kid, we xyz'd the abc'z' comments. :wink:

interesting point about the transition from The Misfits to Samhain you bring up. 'Unholy Passion' contributes greatly to this blur. That EP comes across as if they have no idea what they want to be when they grow up. the transition and flow from one track to the next is abysmal. it's like they slapped together the EP with b-sides they had laying around, except the songs are all really fucking good.

static age was the only album I didn't own prior to purchasing the box set, so I've always presumed the version of static age on there was how it always was and will be. you just told me about a misfits track, "In The Doorway", i'm not familiar with (edit: actually, i think this might be on the box set). i think 'spinal remains' is on legacy. back to static age: what a great album though. 'last caress', 'hybrid moments', and a personal fav 'theme for a jackal'

i'll occasionally hear (understand) something in a misfits song that I hadn't heard before. usually pause the song after and think 'did he seriously just say that?' :lol: :twisted:

great pic of glenn during the static age
Spoiler
always cool to bs with an old-timer fiend. 8)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Been hammering the Misfits coffin box all weekend - when your songs are this short and this perfect, IDGAF if there's three versions of each per disc! :o

All the corpses here are clean, boy / All the Yanks in British hell...
I AIN'T NO GOD-DAMN SON OF A BITCH, YOU BETTER THINK ABOUT IT BABY
five twenty-five / august fifth / nineteen sixty-two...
rapoon wrote:i'll occasionally hear (understand) something in a misfits song that I hadn't heard before. usually pause the song after and think 'did he seriously just say that?' :lol: :twisted:
His gifts for inescapably catchy vocals and hideous imagery do seem directly proportional. I don't know if that was deliberate, but I like it! :mrgreen: These are some immortal hooks... first-rate melodic songwriting in the service of raucously cathartic punk. I know he's a bullshitter, but the story about Dallas PD threatening to arrest the band on sight for "Bullet" is so funny I don't care if it's true or not!

Some interesting stuff in the coffin, in addition to the expected Static Age/Walk Among Us-styled excellence. The moody keyboard-driven rock on "Cough/Cool" and the original "She" surprised me, totally not the raw punk I'd assumed of their debut single. Former's an instant Danzig vocal favourite - fierce. The guitar on "London Dungeon" reminds me of Joy Division/early Cure: simple, morose, iron-hard lines over martial drumming. Maybe an early sign of Samhain's deathrock influences? Would-be Samhain track "Bloodfeast" off Earth AD has a similar thing going on.

The coffin box's version of Earth AD seems to have been loudened slightly, I was glad to hear. The stand-alone Plan 9 CD is noticeably a bit faint, to the point I had trouble listening on the bus via my crappy earbuds.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote:Going through the Iron Maiden discography right now. I'd honestly recommend it. It makes real life seem as awesome as Thunder Force III.
Do try Bruce Dickinson's two solo albums with Adrian Smith and the superb Roy Z (Accident of Birth and The Chemical Wedding). I got into Maiden at their lowest ebb in the mid 90s, and both records were absolute godsends. They're roughly in line with the melodic power metal of Seventh Son, AOB adding a beefier thrash/groove aspect, TCW being proggier and beardier. AOB's more immediately accessible, but TCW's a grower. "Book of Thel" fucking rips with theatrical NWOBHM fury, and "The Alchemist" is a gorgeous flame-out coda. Bruce and Adrian are in peak form - the former mercifully quits trying to channel Bon Scott, plunging back into the knowingly preposterous bombast he's unbeatable at.

Feel our bodies breathing as you try to stop believing
There's nothing you can do about your shadows!
You can't fight us, you are like us, and your body will betray you
Lay down and die like all the others!

FUCK YEAH HEAVY METAL Image

His prior solo stuff is patchy, but those two give Maiden's best records a hard run for their money. The post-reunion A Tyranny of Souls (again with Roy Z) is in a similar vein, and also quite good. "Abduction" and "Soul Intruders" are hard thrashers warranting a listen from AOB fans, at the least.

KILLERS is my favourite of the Maiden collective's discography. I stupidly underrated this one back in the day. Pure NWOBHM dynamite with juuust enough technical flash and boundless energy. Much like irl, PAUL DIANNO CAN'T STOP DOING CRIMEZ. RIP Clive Burr \m/

"I CANT SPEAK FRENCH SO I COULDNT EXPLAIN AND LIKE A FOOL I STARTED RUNNIN' AWAY"
"THEY SAY I KILLED A WOMAN, AND NAW IT ISNT TRUE / THEY JUST TRYIN'A FRAME ME, AND ALL BECAUSE OF YOU"
"EXCITEMENT / SHAKES ME / OH GOD HELP ME WHAT HAVE I DONE? / OOOH YEAH... I'VE DONE IT AGAIN!"

MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Raydar - Evil Squad

It's just sooo nasty.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Dug around for some metal albums today.

Ghost - Meliora

I was really unimpressed with this album at first. But it is kind of growing on me. Way better than their last album for sure.

King Diamond - Abigail

Never really checked out any of King Diamond's stuff outside of Mercyful Fate before. I'm really into the guitar work on this album. But King Diamond's singing is so off putting to me now. I just have to turn it off after a while. Super fucking tight guitar work. Almost unbearable singing. I've never been so torn on an album.

Satan - Atom by Atom

Old 80's metal band comeback album. Really solid. Definitely going to be giving this one some more plays.

Tribulation - The Children of the Night

I can kind of get into this. They seem to have a pretty unique style. Understated but still rocking. I have to admit that the vocals are getting in they way of my enjoyment on this one.

Trivium - Silence in the Snow

Only album from them that I've checked out. I actually think the guitarist in this band is quite good. But everyone else in the band is so awful. The singer is totally unbearable to me.

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell

Pretty cheesy. But I'm still enjoying it. Dio does a great job. I'm kind of burned out on Ozzy at this point so this album is appealing to me.

Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse

A Fine Day To Die makes the whole album a winner for me. That guitar solo is just insane.

Butcher Babies - Take it Like A Man

This is just horrible. I've never felt so gross while listening to an album before.

Cattle Decapitation - The Anthropocene Extinction

I don't feel too strongly either way on this one right now. I mean they're obviously very talented. Playing drums like that seems like it would be a total pain in the ass. So props for that. Alot of the guitar stuff comes of as being kind of basic to me, though. Maybe this one will grow on me.
BIL

Post by BIL »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote:King Diamond - Abigail

Never really checked out any of King Diamond's stuff outside of Mercyful Fate before. I'm really into the guitar work on this album. But King Diamond's singing is so off putting to me now. I just have to turn it off after a while. Super fucking tight guitar work. Almost unbearable singing. I've never been so torn on an album.
Just pretend he's secretly Frankie Valli on a coke+LSD-fuelled bender. Suddenly it'll all make sense!
CIT

Post by CIT »

Le Cassette - Left to Our Own Devices

Probably the best synthwave album released up to date. Highly diverse, ultra catchy and extremely fine-tuned production that builds on and expands the best elements of the 80s pop sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCWjjyDd74c
DestroyTheCore

Post by DestroyTheCore »

CIT wrote:Image

Probably the best synthwave album released up to date. Highly diverse, ultra catchy and extremely fine-tuned production that builds on and expands the best elements of the 80s pop sound.

It sounds really nice! I will listen to the whole album. :)
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Great sounds indeed. Bandcamp link for those who prefer it:
http://telefuturenow.bandcamp.com/album ... wn-devices
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Reminds me a little of some of the underground Goth bands floating around in the early 90s.

There's a question: best Synthpop albums?
More Bromances = safer people
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

My God I can see the dry ice already :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq6dWNvgw1U

Not bad at all.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

I've heard this guy on some other tracks before. You gotta love the huge amount of ego on display.
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Mutemath - Vitals
Album came out today, and they've released a few tracks before the release date, but the entire album really fits the original description they gave the album. The true followup to their debut. This is a rock band that has always used keyboards, synths and rhodes and even organ on their 2011 album. This is synth pop that doesn't feel like a rock band deciding to try and be hip and popular. They show that the synths have never just been tacked on. Great album!
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

EVERYONE with ANY liking for nineteen-eighties' Euro(-ish) (post-)punk, new/cold wave etc. should listen to My Dreams Dictate My Reality by SoKo (surprisingly to me, the next decade's most hip rock music producer Ross Robinson appears to have done brilliant job on it).
That being said, even the artist's earlier recordings (in a different style) display great "scenic" or "cabaret" nerve reminiscent of Marc Almond and Les Rita Mitsouko. Something I'd like to witness live.
The dudes look a lot like my workmates last night.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

I had forgotten how decent some of NFD's songs are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U19sagbds_I

Sadly, Fields of the Nephilim have postponed their german leg of the tour until next year but it would have been awesome to see them in Berlin again and I cannot wait.

Any of you blokes into the Goth Rock side of things?
Rob

Post by Rob »

MintyTheCat wrote:Any of you blokes into the Goth Rock side of things?
Love some Chelsea Wolfe, but aside from that.

Abyss has been a big hit with me lately. That new Julia Holter album (Have You in My Wilderness) also very nice.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Listening a fair bit more to Fields of the Nephilim:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OrsxYevlgw

Been a fan for 22 years now :D
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Used to listen Fields of the Nephilim all the time back in the day (as well as Clan of Xymox and such). One of reasons why the aforementioned My Dreams Dictate My Reality affects me so...
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Used to listen Fields of the Nephilim all the time back in the day (as well as Clan of Xymox and such). One of reasons why the aforementioned My Dreams Dictate My Reality affects me so...
Xymox are still going. Think they are based in Leipzig.

The Neph play a few times a years these last years which is great. I have seen them many times now.

I saw Xymox I think last year.
ancestral-knowledge

Post by ancestral-knowledge »

if you like it check out Timecop1983 - Journeys.
A wonderful dreamy album. :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egAB2qtVWFQ
system11

Post by system11 »

Jeff Lynne released a new ELO album.

That is all.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

On a Little Brother trip right now.
Fantastic shit. Too bad most rappers don't take notes.
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

Allan Holdsworth - Wardenclyffe Tower
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote: Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell

Pretty cheesy. But I'm still enjoying it. Dio does a great job. I'm kind of burned out on Ozzy at this point so this album is appealing to me.
Give Dehumanizer a try. A criminally underrated album that came out at the wrong time, the best Dio-era Sabbath. It's heavier and darker than their 80s albums, and there's not a single song that can be called filler or sub-par.

Really liked Satan's Atom by Atom too. Thrash metal with a competent singer, something you don't see everyday. Reminds me of Anthrax a bit (or should it be the other way around? Haven't listened their first records).

Been getting into Judas Priest. I always had a prejudice with Halford's voice (way too high pitched for my tastes), but after listening to Painkiller a couple of times (and many times after) they finally clicked. Now moving to the rest of their discography. Tried Sad Wings of Destiny, but I don't quite like (for now at least) their style there.

Want to recommend our local metal pioneer here, Pappo. Pappo's Blues was an amazing band, definitely among the best of their era, their third record being my favorite. Those who like early Black Sabbath and stoner (maybe someone listened to Clutch's version of "Algo ha cambiado") will probably enjoy it.

Pappo's Blues - Sucio y Desprolijo
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

You cannot go wrong with a bit of Judas Priest.

'Turbo Lover' and 'Heads are gonna roll' are ace:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1EnufbzFb0

I do not like Painkiller myself as a song and I only dislike due to Halford's silly voice on that song.
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Ah, but I mean the whole album, not the song (which I do like). Nightcrawler, Leather Rebel and One Shot at Glory are my favorites right now. Nightcrawler particularly, the horror atmosphere is pretty well pulled off, besides having excellent riffs and melody.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Hagane wrote:Ah, but I mean the whole album, not the song (which I do like). Nightcrawler, Leather Rebel and One Shot at Glory are my favorites right now. Nightcrawler particularly, the horror atmosphere is pretty well pulled off, besides having excellent riffs and melody.
They always came up with really good titles :D

I have not heard that album as it was a bit later on after my time but I shall look further into it :wink:

They have that kind of 'driving sound' that I really liked.
I also really like Kix too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdUwhPA0ND8

But is more rocky like AC/DC I find and less metal as Priest.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Have you guys heard Glenn Tipton's solo record Baptizm of Fire? Unexpectedly became a favourite of mine - decidedly in the vintage Screaming For Vengeance/Painkiller veins. Fuel Me Up and Kill Or Be Killed are great straight-ahead hard rock/thrash respectively, Enter The Storm and The Healer are surprisingly capable sludge, and the title instrumental is the sort of thing I'd want on the soundtrack of my flame-spewing dream STG. Glenn's also a pretty decent Halford Lite. His deranged keening sounds like Starscream/Cobra Commander at times. :lol: As with Bruce Dickinson's AOB/TCW, I like this record more than his main outfit's stuff from the same era.

SHMUPPIN AS FUCK

I RIDE THE WALL OF DEATH/I HAVEN'T FALLEN YET/NO NEED TO RISK MY NECK/JUST SECOND GUESS WITH EVERY STEP!

GIVE IT TO ME/I WON'T OD/YOU TALK TOO MUCH/SHUT THE FUCK UP that's me buying rarez ;3 ;3 ;3
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Never listened to that record, but that track sounds cool. His voice sounds a bit like a less nasal Mustaine at times. I'll listen to the rest when I have some time.

Not surprising that people like him or Dickinson were doing better stuff in their side projects than their main bands; the mid-late nineties were pretty rough on Heavy metal in general and the big bands were struggling to adapt to the changing trends in the genre, some of them doing quite embarrassing stuff. In their own personal bands they were a bit less pressured to forcefully graft sounds they didn't really feel like doing.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

The Givichy Universal label features some sick weird mixes, love lots of their stuff;

https://soundcloud.com/givichy-universa ... n-integral

https://youtu.be/RKbtNnGxLdw lolwut ?
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"