current favorite albums

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Opethian

Re: current favorite albums

Post by Opethian »

Sparks - Kimono My House 40th anniversary reissue
amdiggywhut

Post by amdiggywhut »

Hippie Sabotage - Sunny EP
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

That NPR list is pretty good. High Spirits is awesome if you're into old school heavy metal/rock and roll like Thin Lizzy and Gridlink is killer too (The Dodonpachi!). I'm not one to fawn over Pallbearer, but that record is good too.

Vestal Claret - The Cult of Vestal Claret
Pagan Altar - Lords of Hypocrisy
Dying Fetus -Descend into Depravity
The Kill - Make 'em Suffer
Briton Rites - For Mircalla
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
Strikers1945guy

Post by Strikers1945guy »

Acid King wrote: Dying Fetus -Descend into Depravity
So nice.

Currently loving All the Blotted Science stuff (2 albums I think). I can see why it would get boring over time but right now it's pretty great to listen to especially while jogging.
Mister Midnight wrote:btw, cant trust them Koreans; remember Pearl Harbor
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Strikers1945guy wrote:
Acid King wrote: Dying Fetus -Descend into Depravity
So nice.
I had to bust it out after watching the Hatred trailer. It totally reminded me of the cover art for this.

captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
drauch

Post by drauch »

I always forget I actually saw Dying Fetus in concert. Not really a fan of their style of Death Metal. Still, I'll never forget this introduction:

"This next song is for all you ladies! SKULL FUCK!"
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

drauch wrote:I always forget I actually saw Dying Fetus in concert. Not really a fan of their style of Death Metal. Still, I'll never forget this introduction:

"This next song is for all you ladies! SKULL FUCK!"
Heh, I saw them once too about 14 years ago. They played with some local bands and Lamb of God, who just changed their name from Burn the Priest and released New American Gospel. It was a pretty awesome show, actually. It was at this place called Polanka Park, which is like a Polish social club and they played in the ballroom/dining room pictured here. I don't even remember there being a stage, they may have just set up on the floor at one end of the hall.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Aphex Twin's secret soundcloud account

https://soundcloud.com/user48736353001
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

:lol: Billy Joel used to be in a acid metal band. He's playing an over driven Hammond organ or something.

http://youtu.be/AhRv3QjaiA8
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Hiroshi Watanabe - Fukuroda Falls -From Formation To Present-
Totally in love with this album. So much goodness on this album. A mix of his usual Tech-House style he makes under his real name with some more organic percussion type stuff to make a really good album. Episode4. Autumn has to be my favorite track though.
Billy Umehara

Post by Billy Umehara »

Image & Image
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Never gave it a listen before - enjoying the Pretty Hate Machine with my new headphones. DX7 goodness, and "iconic" certainly applies too.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Over the Edge, after 7 years or so, appears to remain my favourite Wipers album. I would listen to the entire Wipers Box Set back when, outtakes and all, and under such circumstances the some journos' darling Youth of America used to outstay its welcome, like listening to all of Zen Arcade by Hüsker Dü in one go. Nowadays, though, a DJ on the local radio sometimes starts his hours with When It's Over, not allowing me to forget what a band they were.
Plus, the story how Greg Sage got into playing guitar is cool.
Every couple of months I think I'm not of age when I could listen to this kind of music all the time anymore, only to be proven wrong again. (The previous case was Neurotic Outsiders album and live bootleg.)
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Rob

Post by Rob »

Indian - Guiltless -- best metal
Wand - Golem
Shabazz Palaces - Black Up
Soundgarden - A-Sides -- Soundgardens albums stink, but Spoonman. :oops:
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Lieutenant - If I Kill This Thing We're All Going To Eat For A Week
Side project of Nate Mendel, Bassist of Foo Fighters. He steps out and plays guitar and sings on this. and What a songwriter he's turned out to be. Catchy opening 2 tracks and keeps going. Slows down towards the end, but what an album. I've not spun an album so many times in full. Very much on the Indie side, and not Foo Fighters at all. Recommended highly.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Rob wrote:Indian - Guiltless -- best metal
Wand - Golem
Shabazz Palaces - Black Up
Soundgarden - A-Sides -- Soundgardens albums stink, but Spoonman. :oops:
What do you think about Audioslave?
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

New Nightwish studio album came out about two weeks ago, Endless Forms Most Beautiful. The theme of the whole thing is the grandeur of science, evolution, and life on earth. As someone who has studied paleontology and the history of life on earth since I was a kid the album really speaks to me a lot. The final (24 minute!) song is incredible, though you have to be at least a tiny bit knowledgeable about pre-cambrian life to really catch what it's talking about in the first movement.

I highly recommend the tracks, Weak Fantasy and The Greatest Show on Earth. Awesome symphonic metal with epic scope.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
JBC

Post by JBC »

Tame Impala on Spotify

They've released a couple of tracks from their upcoming album & it sounds as great as ever.
Godzilla was an inside job
Rob

Post by Rob »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote:What do you think about Audioslave?
The album (s/t) that made me stop following mainstream rock. :lol: Definitely a combo that wasn't meant to be. I still have a place in my heart for the RATM albums.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Gave Type O Negative's October Rust a relisten this evening. Its enveloping blanket of chuggy guitar, ethereal synths and comedy lyrics always cheer me up! Still so gay for Peter Steele. ;-; Only TDS-era Trent Reznor and Ian Curtis make me swoon harder. AND THEYRE ALL DEAD ;-;
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Since its release.
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
MadSteelDarkness

Post by MadSteelDarkness »

Just discovered these guys/gal last month:

Gym Shorts - No Backsies
Zig Zags - s/t

Nostalgia:

Fields of the Nephilim - Elizium

And the usual jazz:

Miles Davis and Gil Evans - Sketches of Spain
Sonny Stitt - Now!
Kenny Dorham - Afro Cuban
Bill Evans Trio - Portrait in Jazz
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Rob wrote:
MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote:What do you think about Audioslave?
The album (s/t) that made me stop following mainstream rock. :lol: Definitely a combo that wasn't meant to be. I still have a place in my heart for the RATM albums.
Yeah, I can't take much of them either. I had a friend who was really into them. Said that Zach got really annoying to him after a while and he liked Audioslave way better.

Dream Syndicate - Medicine Show

Tesla Boy - Modern Thrills

Miami Nights 1984 - Accelerated

The Daysleepers - Dream Within A Dreamworld
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

lilmanjs wrote:Lieutenant - If I Kill This Thing We're All Going To Eat For A Week
Side project of Nate Mendel, Bassist of Foo Fighters. He steps out and plays guitar and sings on this. and What a songwriter he's turned out to be. Catchy opening 2 tracks and keeps going. Slows down towards the end, but what an album. I've not spun an album so many times in full. Very much on the Indie side, and not Foo Fighters at all. Recommended highly.
I remember some industrial hunt for the new Nirvana, possibly leading to premature demise of Sunny Day Real Estate, Quicksand and who knows what other bands. Sickening anticipation that, in hindsight.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Marc

Post by Marc »

To be fair, Sunny Day have been nothing but drama since their formation. Last I heard they'd reunited again and write an albums worth of material around 2012-13, then it all fell to bits for the third time when it came to record it. But yeah, there were so many bands dropped after and album or two around that period, utter madness.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

This is by far one of the best albums I've ever heard. This sounds so amazing to me right now. I listened to it straight through on my first time.

Carpenter Brut - Trilogy
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote:This is by far one of the best albums I've ever heard. This sounds so amazing to me right now. I listened to it straight through on my first time.

Carpenter Brut - Trilogy
Get out of my head!! I was literally coming here to post this. Amazing stuff!!! From your recent posts it appears you and I are very much on the same page musically right now.

I really like the way he blends the more standard 80's synthwave with more modern production - has a Justice vibe on a lot of the tracks, but still very 80's sounding.

Great production too!
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

ive pretty much been listening to the sound of perseverance by death since it came out. awesome technical metal album. chuck schuldiner is missed.

oddly though i dont care for much else death metal. sound of perseverence was thoughtful.