current favorite albums

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Obiwanshinobi

Re: current favorite albums

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Luv Yer Country by Mitch & Mitch. I still can't find any better YouTube representation than this, but now I have something of a history with the album. First time (or so) when I listened to it, I broke my left forearm/wrist. That interrupted our get-together.
A couple of years went by and last may I spend a lot of time listening to Then Play On by Fleetwood Mac on the job. Then I returned to Luv Yer Country and this time it clicked proper. The likes of Hank Marvin jamming with Greeny at The Ramones' party are not unheard of here. I half-want, half-fear to hear their live performance (preferably somewhere abroad, but beggars can't be choosers) and see how much of a concert ensemble they are.
So this looks promising, but it is a TV production after all.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Yob - Clearing The Path To Ascend
Elder - Lore
High on Fire - Luminiferous
Pallbearer - Foundations of Burden

High on Fire and Pallbearer are playing a show around here pretty soon. I'd really like to go. I've actually never been to a metal show before. I'll probably end up getting my ass kicked or something. :lol:
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

High on Fire's set might be pretty rough, but Pallbearer's is pretty much guaranteed to be a crowd of bearded folk nodding along to the music and staring at the stage. Both bands are great live, so you should go if you can.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Stopped listening to fusion several years back but got showed some Snarky Puppy by a friend.
Cory Henry's solo on this here song is absolutely mindblowing.

Aside from that; a lot of Kamasi Washington.
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Blockhead - Bells and Whistles

Dope. Dope. Dope.

Ol' Tony never fails to tweak my mood just right with his tunes, actually I think he's getting better over the years.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Tregard

Post by Tregard »

I've been listening to the Resident Advisor podcast by Dadub. A lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EipguwkNbTE

It's challenging, heavy and bleak, where drums pound relentlessly in a miasmic vortex of chaos and noise. It brings to mind images of blasted, crumbling cityscapes under purple skies, where ravaging winds scour the last vestiges of life from the world. Civil unrest, rioting, death, and then we pan out to the cosmic scale - the sun is dying, swallowing the solar system whole. We see shots of the earth, a tiny dot against the boiling red inferno of the star, before it is consumed. And then...

Beauty. And peace, closing out the mix with a moment of reflective calm. The cosmic ballad continues to play out in every corner of the universe, in all its terrible glory, and we are but a passing footnote in its story.

It's funny how a mix that is essentially just drums drums drums can be quite so evocative and take me off to such pretentious places.
Satan
Banned User

Post by Satan »

Just discovered Chvrches. I think I'm in love.
"A bleeding heart welcomes the sharks."
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sabbath Vol 4 with all the filler/fluff cut out for 110% coke-fuelled blues-inflected power doom rumbling. Jesus, I'd forgotten "Changes" was on this album! Bleuuuurgh! Less bawww, more BRAWWWR you crazy brummie coke fiends!

WHEELS OF CONFUSION
TOMORROW'S DREAM
SUPERNAUT
SNOWBLIND
CORNUCOPIA
ST.VITUS' DANCE
UNDER THE SUN

YEAAAAAAH this record don't need no third-rate Barry Manilow weepy. Turmoil abounds in Ozzy's bleary wails and muscular grooves that power through the downtuned haze. Iommi's towering presence sounds ever more futuristic with age. Slabs of chording and mournfully crooned leads resonate across time like the utterances of a robotic space god.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

A bunch of Synthwave albums from Bandcamp, thanks to forum members recommending Perturbator and Carpenter Brut's Trilogy album.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
BIL

Post by BIL »

Samhain III: November-Coming-Fire. Irresistibly catchy punk/metal shout-along with heavy goth overtones. 28 minutes of fuckin marvelous.
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

Necro Deathmort - The Colonial Script
-Super Doomy Metal crossed with electronica, if you don't know these guys you really should.

Between the Buried and Me - Coma Ecleptic
-Woah, been a fan of these guys for 8 years or so but damn they've outdone themselves this time, album of the year no doubt. Think Dream Theater but angry. And not out of ideas like Dream Theater.

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
-A lot of the bands I've loved for decades cite the early 70s prog bands as major influences, other than Pink Floyd I've not really explored them, but now I am and I'm enjoying them more than I expected.
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

Marc

Post by Marc »

Planes Mistaken For Stars - Mercy: sweet ass reissue on Deathwish records, got me the three vinyl set because I'm a bit obsessed when it comes to these guys. Still prefer their earlier, more punk sounding stuff, but it's a cool record.

Swervedriver - I Wasn't Born To Lose You: I totally missed that these guys had even reformed, I'm getting old and out of the loop. Not as energetic as my personal favourite (Mezcal Head), but much better than I'd allowed myself to hope for.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Gates of Slumber - God Wills It from Ultima Thule
Circle of Dead Children - Psalm of the Grand Destroyer
Paul Chain - Alkahest
Aborted - Engineering the Dead
broken harbour wrote:Necro Deathmort - The Colonial Script
-Super Doomy Metal crossed with electronica, if you don't know these guys you really should.
I love these guys. They combine two of my biggest musical loves: big beats and heavy drones.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
BIL

Post by BIL »

Danzig - Deth Red Sabaoth Quite liking this, as a very tentative listener of post-1996 Danzig. Altogether blunter and technically inferior to the fabled first four. At its best though, the bluesy grit, mightily percussive doom and soulfully bellowed hooks approach a logical Danzig V, as does the darkly beautiful prelude to the closing track. Not a bad latter-days effort at all. Danny boy himself does well, his theatrically luciferous persona and primally sex/occult-afflicted hollerings scarcely diminished.

I actually like the pistoning electronic aggression and abrasive textures of discography pariah Blackacidevil... chop out bubblegum single "Sacrifice" and it's prime Brutal DOOM fodder. The apocalyptic mecha-dirges and mournful refrain of "See All You Were" make me wail along every time. Shame the classic Glenn/Christ/Eerie/Biscuits lineup vanished like it did, though.
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Image Image

Inshouha - AQ - One of my favorite albums of 2015. This group doesn't seem to be very well known but I've become a big fan over the last few days. Very under appreciated.
POP - P.O.P - Saki Kamiya's (ex-BiS) "new" group. They just rebranded pla2me and re-recorded their songs after Mari Mizuta left though. Still great.
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

I can't stop listening to Rei Harakami's album "lust" since last weekend. Synth heaven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJMUEv-5feE
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Leandro wrote:I can't stop listening to Rei Harakami's album "lust" since last weekend. Synth heaven

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJMUEv-5feE
What that man could do with so little still amazes me. He was an amazing artist. He had a short lived duo that was interesting as well. I could go on all day about how awesome he is. For sure my favorite track of his has to be the title track to Unrest.
rapoon

Post by rapoon »

BIL wrote:Samhain III: November-Coming-Fire. Irresistibly catchy punk/metal shout-along with heavy goth overtones. 28 minutes of fuckin marvelous.
interesting samhain trivia, 'archangel' off of initium is actually a misfits song. i think it was suppose to be on walk among us, but got squeezed out and dumped onto initium.
november coming fire is a great album. as a teenager, the yearly ritual was to have it playing on repeat every halloween.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Listening to a lot of Grave these days:

Into the Grave (1991)
Burial Ground (2010)
Endless Procession of Souls (2012)
More Bromances = safer people
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

lately, for me it's been the new black/death metal release krallice release "ygg huur" and math rock release by toe - "hear you" both released this year. battles new album "la di da di" is releasing soon too.
broken harbour wrote:King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King
-A lot of the bands I've loved for decades cite the early 70s prog bands as major influences, other than Pink Floyd I've not really explored them, but now I am and I'm enjoying them more than I expected.
Marc wrote:Planes Mistaken For Stars - Mercy: sweet ass reissue on Deathwish records, got me the three vinyl set because I'm a bit obsessed when it comes to these guys. Still prefer their earlier, more punk sounding stuff, but it's a cool record.
nice! didn't realize pmfs was still around. love king crimson too. my favorites being pmfs - fuck with fire and knife in the marathon and king crimson - three of a perfect pair and islands.
a creature... half solid half gas
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Yukihiro Takahashi & METAFIVE - Techno Recital
This is a live disc, and the only one they have put out, but METAFIVE is a group that includes of course Takahasi since he created it, Towa Tei, Corneilus, Sunahara, Leo Imai and Tomohiko Gondo.
A bunch of covers of YMO tracks, other artists, and artists included in the group. Starts off with a short version of the Pupa tune Meta, which is from Takahashi and Tomohiko Gondo. From there it gels quite well going into a cover of Cue. The Takahashi solo material on the disc is pretty good. Any albums people can recommend I check out first?
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

I've mostly been listening to the Pink Floyd albums. Perfect albums for spending lots of time driving. Don't have to skip any tracks. Chelsea Wolfe has been getting a lot of plays too. Really great album. Will probably end up being my favorite album of 2015. I think it's way better than her last album. Has a nice doom metal tinge to it. I was really surprised by how good the new Iron Maiden is. Really looking forward to the new Windhand album. Soilwork is not my usual thing. I can kind of appreciate what they are doing. They do seem like a really tight band. Pretty decent. Daniel Deluxe is fantastic.

Iron Maiden - The Book Of Souls
Chelsea Wolfe - Abyss
Windhand- Grief's Infernal Flower
Soilwork- The Ride Majestic
Led Zeppelin - Presence
The Cramps - Psychedelic Jungle
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Pink Floyd - Animals
Daniel Deluxe
Dynatron - Aeternus
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

Boys Life - Departures and Landfalls
Emo Rock from back when it was actually good. Picked up the reissue/remaster today on vinyl and have been listening to the FLAC download today. Sounding quite good and clearer than the original version. I haven't owned this album before, so nice to finally have it in my collection. Noisy, complex, melodic and most of all, the most important thing, it was recorded live. This is what a band should sound like live and this shows Boys Life were great. They are doing a small tour in honor of the reissue. An album very much worth picking up.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Abraxas by Santana. Also been enjoying Buddy Guy's blues songs.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Listening to Carcass' Heartwork a fair amount at present.

Looking forward to hearing more of the new Grave album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3q3ZQaISqE

Love Grave's album artwork for the last three albums.
I find Grave to be fairly simple but catchy.

Still my favourite metal band is Bolt-Thrower.

Off to see Fields of the Nephilim soon too - my fave Goth Rock band since I was 13 :D

Is it me or does anyone else listen to metal when they exercise?
More Bromances = safer people
BIL

Post by BIL »

rapoon wrote:interesting samhain trivia, 'archangel' off of initium is actually a misfits song. i think it was suppose to be on walk among us, but got squeezed out and dumped onto initium.
november coming fire is a great album. as a teenager, the yearly ritual was to have it playing on repeat every halloween.
Also "All Hell Breaks Loose" resurfacing on Unholy Passion - that surprised me. :mrgreen:

Funny how frayed the boundaries of late Misfits/early Samhain are. It feels like such a luxury to come in decades later with everything neatly traceable via the internet (guess that's true for smaller labels in general... hell, smaller/obscurer anything). The final incarnation of Static Age with "She," "Spinal Remains" and "In The Doorway" has been a favourite of mine since release - for years I assumed it just appeared that way in 1978, instead of gradually assembling over decades and various labels.

Been blasting Earth AD the last couple days. Although I slightly prefer the rock n' roll-influences of Static Age to their 80s albums, this one's annihilatingly brutal speed is addictive as hell. GREAT sleeve art, too.
Spoiler
Purple/green BG and monochrome undead? WTF is this, Castlevania?! Image I knew that colour scheme seemed familiar...
Spoiler
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Going through the Iron Maiden discography right now. I'd honestly recommend it. It makes real life seem as awesome as Thunder Force III.

https://youtu.be/6VpwTujzBRs
DestroyTheCore

Post by DestroyTheCore »

Stars of the Lid and their Refinement of the Decline sounds so nice on vinyl. I'm so glad they repressed their last two albums on triple LPs.