current favorite albums

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
lilmanjs

Re: current favorite albums

Post by lilmanjs »

Milieu - Slow Lid Close [Expanded & Remastered]
I keep coming back to this lately after buying it. He was nice enough to throw in another reissue when I bought this. This one is really good downtempo and ambient and showcases how he evolved right before becoming more playful as milieu.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Listening to a lot of Curve once again. It has that kind of "90s UK indie sound" but to me always felt a bit anti-pop and just below the radar enough - the days when Brit Music was awesome.
I really wish I could have seen them live but I honestly did not know about them until some time in 2006 :(

I have always liked Toni's vocal presentation; dreary, on-going, centred and in control and the fairly melacholic and some how fragile yet defensive and thorny outlook of the songs that they wrote.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DET7z14S894

More Bromances = safer people
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Om - Pilgrimage
Weedeater - God Luck and Good Speed
The Gates of Slumber - Stormcrow
Deltron 3030 - self titled
The Skull - For Those Which Are Asleep
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

http://satelliteyoung.bandcamp.com/

New 80's JPop, so great. Must find more like it.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Ahab - The Boats of the Glen Carrig

Great album. I like how they effortlessly switch between prog and metal. Solid.

Bjork - Vulnicura

Sad break-up album. Some very real emotions on display here. One of my favorites this year for sure.

With The Dead

Members of Electric Wizard team up with the lead singer of Cathedral. I like the lead singer of Cathedral way better than the Electric Wizard singer, so this works out fine for me.

Baroness - Purple

I was really impressed with this at first. But the lyrics got pretty lame to me after a while. Nice that they added in some keyboards.

Julia Holter - Have You in My Wilderness

Great album. Reminds me of some oldies type stuff sometimes. Great production. I kind hope this becomes a trend.

The Prodigy - The Day Is My Enemy

I'm enjoying this. Bangs pretty hard. Some great stuff on here.

Nightwish - Endless Forms Most Beautiful

I know this band has a lot of fans. I just don't get how they can take themselves seriously with this. Pretty sure I've never encountered something quite this cheesy before. I was on the halfway on verge of laughing the entire time while listening to this. I guess symphonic metal just isn't my thing.
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

soprano1 wrote:http://satelliteyoung.bandcamp.com/

Nice find. They're not exactly the same, but you might like Tentenko's "Good bye, Good girl" and maybe Billie Idle's "be-bop tu-tu" (this is more retro new wave).
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

loving casting for gravity and fast future by Donny mcaslin at the minute. great modern jazz. guiliana and Lefebvre have got to be about the best rhythm section around.

https://donnymccaslin.bandcamp.com/albu ... or-gravity
https://donnymccaslin.bandcamp.com/album/fast-future
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

Yooooooo
Damokles - Ozone Surfing [full album]

Quantum Flux in particular is absolutely incredible :shock:
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

iconoclast wrote:
soprano1 wrote:http://satelliteyoung.bandcamp.com/

Nice find. They're not exactly the same, but you might like Tentenko's "Good bye, Good girl" and maybe Billie Idle's "be-bop tu-tu" (this is more retro new wave).
Both are awesome, thanks!
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
Rob

Post by Rob »

Mean, ugly.

Coffinworm - IV.I.VIII
Primitive Man - Scorn
Cult Leader - Lightless Walk
Great Falls - Accidents Grotesque v
Kowloon Walled City - Container Ships
BIL

Post by BIL »

Fuck me, Youthanasia is just the pumpy, snarly rumble for this dreary morning. Wasn't expecting much after WCW put me off post-92 Megadeth 4 life. Pleasantly surprised! Rovin' the fusion of grungy hard rock and gleaming serrated metal. Sounds almost like power-sleazing Illusion GNR at times, minus their rolls of overindulgent flab.

I like the way that I make you itch
And all the reasons I give you to bitch
And how I make you wanna scream in pain
And feel your life is just a losing game

Shmuppin as fuck Image Swap Dave and the smack for DTP and CAVE, and you have The Ballad of DrTrouserPlank
Last edited by BIL on Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ifog

Post by ifog »

1000 Mods - Super Van Vacation

Nothing new but I finally got the CD so I'm listening it again.
Simple stoner rock :)

Album:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZGF-3LSjt8
Last edited by ifog on Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Listening a to a lot of PIG as of late, I did not listen to Pigmartyr when it came out but it is not bad.

I have about 5-6 PIG albums. It was a bitch and a half to get PIG in the 90s I can tell you; he only released on this oosaka based label as I recall.

Always felt that PIG had the edge over KMFDM.

I think that this is the best version of Blades

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeP3UcKvCGQ

First album I got was Wrecked and it has some great songs on it including Everything:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbDVZ9G_HrQ

That was well heavy in the 90s.

Hot Hole is funny:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qY5WWSbXncE

There is a sort parody of sin, grime and such with Raymond the man just puts down the funniest lyrics and has the irony to carry it off well. I hope he plays soon:

I have always liked the silly, pervy lyrics and the way Raymond mixes things together.

Edit:

Looks like PIG originals still sell for a bit:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raymond-Watts ... xycmBSxEO6
More Bromances = safer people
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Revisiting early Wire albums (1977-'79), I can't believe my former indifference* towards 'em (A Bell Is a Cup… Until It Is Struck was the first one that once clicked with me). They are like a second-period Arvo Pärt of punk rock in that they make most other music seem like someone's having a wank. I wonder if there's a single musician who heard Wire and has never felt just a tiny bit envious of their mojo hard at work there.

Listening to White Light/White Heat and Loaded by The Velvet Underground inbetween.

*) Not so much indifference as losing to other stuff I'd listened to at the time of major internet piracy.

Riffing on those days of rapid fulfillment, THRaKaTTaK by King Crimson was another album amiably spoken of by those in the know A.D. 1996. Long story short, my tolerance to improvisation is a thing of usefulness.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

versionfiv

Post by versionfiv »

FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Revisiting early Wire albums (1977-'79), I can't believe my former indifference* towards 'em (A Bell Is a Cup… Until It Is Struck was the first one that once clicked with me). They are like a second-period Arvo Pärt of punk rock in that they make most other music seem like someone's having a wank. I wonder if there's a single musician who heard Wire and has never felt just a tiny bit envious of their mojo hard at work there.

Listening to White Light/White Heat and Loaded by The Velvet Underground inbetween.

*) Not so much indifference as losing to other stuff I'd listened to at the time of major internet piracy.

Riffing on those days of rapid fulfillment, THRaKaTTaK by King Crimson was another album amiably spoken of by those in the know A.D. 1996. Long story short, my tolerance to improvisation is a thing of usefulness.
Yeah Wire are incredible, also can't believe you ignored them :lol: especially since you seem to like mechanical/cold/artsy/high-concept stuff! they're both one of the best punk AND best post punk band of all time, which is no small feat. the penultimate art-punk band, you could say. Their robot rock is such a high concept and it's pulled off so masterfully. and stripped down so much even the Ramones are doing a double take! yet plenty of venom, swagger, hooks and cold and surreal exposés of human interractions

To deconstruct punk(which itself is a deconstruction) as early as 1977, is straight up madness! yet they did it
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

GIVE ME YOU MONEY - listen, I care

What a marvel Closing Time by Tom Waits is. As contexts come and go, it never fails to enchant me. For example, this time I've underwent some extensive exposure to real expert pianoplaying, in a variety of music genres, lately. And yet, honky-tonk pianoplaying here does not sound dilettante at all, to me. I guess he just felt right at home when playing with serious jazz musicians. Likewise, the singing's just darn good, musical as hell. And it's all so lyrical, I could go on and on, but my bedtime's upon.
The way out is cut off

Marc

Post by Marc »

Was at my Sister's over the weekend, she was spinning Tigercub's 'As Blue as Indigo'. Brilliant, ordered it on the spot. QOTSA-ish in places, before they went, well, crap.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

A recently released album recorded by NFM Philharmonics, Giancarlo Guerrero conducting, shortly titled Brahms. Consists of Symphony No. 1 in C Minor Op. 68 and Academic Festival Overture Op. 80. After the box of all his four Symphonies recorded by NOSPR, released last year, yet another institution I support brings forth their own take on his First, so I simply had to have it. It's (only?) my fourth First on CD, but when you start recognising those you're familiar with by ear, that's when the fun and games begin.
Not as "clinical" as the one by Clevelanders I've prized most until now, somewhat adventurous, immediately worked for me in my quest of their purpose in recording it so many times. One of those really valuable things humankind is any good for.
The way out is cut off

To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I've been going through the Animals album by Pink Floyd. What a killer record. Peak craftsman and technical ability on guitar of course, but one of the things I really love about it is how ballsy it is. You have one of the biggest bands in the world dropping an album that can't have any radio singles just by virtue of how long the songs are. And in terms of carrying a concept through an album its still pretty much unmatched. For the uninitiated, the album tells a story of dogs (corporations), pigs (politicians), and sheep (people). It's an album with a lot to say and expressed in a creative way.

If we ever met space aliens and they asked what art was, this is probably the piece of music I'd show them.
BrainΦΠΦTemple

Post by BrainΦΠΦTemple »

nO-miss superplAyz i \m/ash in shmupz + mOsh w/ ur mom
berlin schOol albums | sOundcloud
new albUm:Kristallgeist
"Here is a molding synthesis creator with a strong personality. It needs to be better known." --rockliquias.com's reviEw of "kristallgeist"
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Been on a vinyl buying kick recently. The last few albums I bought were Boston's self titled album, Zeppelin IV, and Coldplay's Rush of Blood to the Head.

There are few things better than an absolutely killer record. Both Boston's self titled record and Zeppelin IV have eight songs, and each album has seven singles I've heard on the radio before. That is fucking ridiculous. Quality and Quantity.

Coldplay gets a bad rap but the first three albums are pretty damn good, and they've certainly aged better than a good 95% of modern music. A Rush of Blood to the Head is my favorite album of theirs, and the singles; The Scientist, Clocks, and In My Place, are all well known, but the whole album honestly is filled with great songs. Real music made by real musicians. And they did cool stuff like forgoing auto tune when everybody uses auto tune now. Or cool choices like tuning sharp on Clocks, just like old records where they'd speed up the songs and it would make them slightly sharp. It adds a layer of craftsmanship and makes the record feel at home with the classics. Amsterdam is a stand out track and should have been a single, it's one of the best songs of the 00's. Warning Sign is fantastic too.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Imagine finding out there's a band playing almost exactly the kind of music you enjoy, that have been active for a decade plus just half an hour down the motorway from where you live, so you've probably missed then live fuck knows how many times, as well as just missing re-prints of their earlier albums which have sold out and cost a fortune on vinyl. You'd feel a bit stupid right?

Anyway....

Amplifier - 'Trippin' with Dr. Faustus'. It's great effects/reverb-laden post-something-or-other rock.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell