Bloodstained RotN : Kouji IGA's new "Castlevania" game.

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Herr Schatten

Re: Bloodstained RotN : Kouji IGA's new "Castlevania" game.

Post by Herr Schatten »

Sumez wrote:Shes a character from Ritual of the Night, complete with identical boobage
Oh, you're right. I definitely don't remember her chest being this emphasized in RotN. Maybe it's the dress.
However, I was originally referring more to the trailer in general, including the bosses. (One seems to be the first one from RotN, the others I don't recognize offhand.)

Still intrigued by that polevault move at 1:16. It reminds me very much of Bloodlines.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Hehe right. They are completely hidden beneath that white shirt she's wearing to obscure them XD

Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Lol, that cunning disguise seems to have worked remarkably well on me.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to be an anime priestess/nun/etc. if you don't have lower back problems in your future.
KAI

Post by KAI »

"Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon 2 is coming July 10, 2020 for $14.99! Two player co-op mode, and allies from the last game are here too!"

I love the way inti release their shit super fast
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5eVKsmguKY
Austin

Post by Austin »

Nice. $15 seems perfectly reasonable. I had been wondering what the price was going to be and worried they might have decided to charge $20 or $30 for it (I still would have bought it anyway, surely). Nice to see they are keeping it in that budget range like with the first one (that was $10).
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I think that's a question of perspective. To me $15 is more than I'd pay off the bat for a digital-only release, but $10 I'd jump on right away.
At this price point I'd rather wait for the physical release. I heard Play-Asia teased it'd be available for pre-order soon, so maybe it's not gonna be a LRG exclusive?
NYN

moon me

Post by NYN »

So what about it, fellas? Got cursed too?
"I've transmuted into a super being. I'll proof it by killing you." -NGIII ( words to kill by )
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Are there DRM-free PC versions of the Curse of the Moon games available anywhere? I can only find them on steam.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

Unfortunately, no. Only RotN is available on GOG.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

I got the Switch version, but I haven't played it farther than the first boss yet. Seems fine so far. My hopes of Dominique playing like Eric Lecarde are crushed already, though. She actually plays more like Scrooge/Shovel Knight, which is also fun I guess.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

That sounds good to me tbh. I can't see a Lecarde style character working to well in COTM's style of gameplay.

Really looking forward to play this, and trying to figure out if I should hold out for the LRG version or just double dip it.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Udderdude wrote:Unfortunately, no. Only RotN is available on GOG.
That's too bad.
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

Some new content released recently, namely "Classic Mode".

Played through it on normal and it's pretty much a beat for beat remake of the original Castlevania. If they released this on its own they would definitely get sued! Part of me laments the missed opportunity to do something with its own identity in this style (its not as if the OG CV is wanting for reimaginings) but I wasn't expecting anything very ambitious at this point, especially since the Curse of the Moon games exist. For what it is, a tribute to a classic with a few twists thrown in, it's some good content.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh nice, been waiting on this. Perfect timing too, that's my weekend sorted out.

Played the hell out of ROTN last fall, enjoyed it enough to clear Nightmare from base (same old story, ever since SOTN's Luck mode... first hour is rough, then it becomes less and less distinguishable from Normal, before ending exactly the same - spoilers). Loved the engine, and most of the game, but was lukewarm on the endgame areas and monsters. COTM, AOS and OOE all did significantly better without breaking the SOTNesque format. Fingers crossed this one has a bit more pressure to it.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Just picked this up on PS4 - have not played yet. Anything to be aware of?
My lord, I have come for you.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Honestly, not really. :mrgreen: Supremely user-friendly take on the SOTN format. There's an absolutely heaving roster of weapons and techniques to mess around with. I suggest doing graveyard lady's first few quests to get the Eye of Horus, which zooms the FOV out a bit. Otherwise it's very sandbox. I found the common "True Arrow" shard consistently useful, right through my Nightmare base character playthrough. Its spreadshot does a shit-ton of damage up close, classic shotgun mechanic. The Jinrai katana technique (f,b,f+atk) can be chained to obscene lengths, I had a lot of fun obliterating big enemies and bosses with it.

On the technical side - not sure if things have improved since last fall, but saving regularly is a good idea (easily done - savepoints are abundant). Playing the PS4 version for embarrassing lengths of time back then, after 2/3hrs it wasn't unusual for it to crash when loading new areas. Sounds like it was a lot worse pre-patching.

Tried out Classic Mode last weekend - it's an enjoyable throwback to FC Dracula's elementary stage design (I like how closely they modeled Rondo's handling), but ultimately, it made me want to put on Vs Castlevania for the real thing's pixel-precise collision and tight 4:3 aspect, instead. Left it at Stage 4/Normal for now. What I've wanted since SOTN is a set of traditionally tight, linear stages tailored for modern character mechanics, not what they went for here.

Certainly not complaining - between new characters and modes, there's been a ton of quality free content over the past year. I was having a pretty good time with the Randomiser a while back, think I'll revisit when I'm done with my current batch of arcade projects.
drauch

Post by drauch »

I can commend on the PS4 crashing. I just played it about 2 weeks ago for the first time with the newest patch. Crashed on me quite a bit. Definitely save whenever you can.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Marc

Post by Marc »

Seems the Konami code on classic mode unlocks '1986' mode - amends the moveset, movement on stairs and in midair, and no extended whip. Ouch.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
xorthen

Post by xorthen »

They need to offer a patch for a full map or something because I am missing .02 percent or something and it's annoying.
Currently Playing:Astebreed,Crimzon Clover, Valhellio
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Stevens wrote:Just picked this up on PS4 - have not played yet. Anything to be aware of?
There is one spot where you might get stuck due to some pretty poor game design. You have to kill a specific non boss enemy to get an upgrade that allows progression. The enemy is only available in one room up to this point. Now, this would normally be fine (it kinda reeks of a cut boss fight, but whatever), except the enemy has a low drop rate for the critical item (10% I think it was), so it's unlikely you'll get the item by killing the enemy and leaving the room as you normally would. So it's very easy to get stuck due to non-existent signposting. I don't know if this was eventually patched or not, but it knocked the game down for me quite a bit.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I thought that part was really obvious.

Nah, the place where you'll get stuck is the bit where you need to do something special to avoid the "bad ending". Even if you think you got it and are doing things right, there's still a super obscure twist to it that means almost everyone is going to miss it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I didn't hit any roadblocks in my playthrough, six months or so ago - the usual SOTNesque approach of "get new item, scan the map for any and all unexplored space, go there" saw me through fine. I'm trying to guess which ones you guys might be referring to.

The
Spoiler
squid bridge where you need to kill one to get the Dive ability, and slashing the glowing red moon during the fake last boss, I guess? The former, I may have gotten lucky... I was just enjoying nailing those annoying bastards for taking potshots at me.

The latter... with the game mimicking SOTN so closely (to a fault, really), I knew something else besides the boss itself would need killing, probably something hidden from plain sight. After getting the bad end once, I was tipped off by the required katana's description, which pointedly calls it "moon cutter," and the "moon" itself setting on fire in the background once the boss had taken a bit of damage. I thought it was pretty well-done, tbh.
Apologies if I'm way off on both. :lol:
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Nah, you got it right. I was thinking around the same lines as you did, and tried all kinds of things with that boss, but
Spoiler
attacking an object that's clearly designed to be 384400 km into the background just wasn't something that crossed my mind.
There's even a different room in the game that looks really distinct, has the moon clearly visible, and nothing else to do there. I spent a lot of time slashing around and doing stuff there to no avail. What a stupid red herring to include. :P
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ahh yeah, the trompe l'oeil effect. I was pleasantly surprised when it actually worked, one of those "ah fuck it, let's give it a shot - OMFG WAO" things. :mrgreen: (recently finished a first Okami playthrough, incidentally... lots of moments like that in there, and OFC the Zeldas it's modeled on)

It's not a SOTNesque without a promising, curious, ultimately pointless room, imo. (COTM misses this element, but then it's the one member of the sub-series with zero IGA presence - and moreover, its badass Battle Arena makes up for it a thousandfold :cool:). Memories of That One Trapdoor from the Entryway's garden. Spent the whole game, literally from Minute 01, waiting for it to open up. Was a little steamed when I finally resorted to GameFAQs and learned the awful truth. :evil:

Well, the annoying truth. >_>

In ROTN, it was that painting with the tracking eyeball that wasted a bit of my time. I thought there was some neat "security grid" trick, where avoiding its gaze (super speed? invisibility? ZA WARUDO?) might open something up (particularly with the visible space directly under it). A seemingly-promising candidate for that last map%.
Last edited by BIL on Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Spent the whole game, literally from Minute 01, waiting for it to open up. Was a little steamed when I finally resorted to GameFAQs and learned the awful truth. :evil:

Well, the annoying truth. >_>
I assume you do know about the Saturn version :D
BIL

Post by BIL »

Indeed! TBH, between the PS1's "unfinished extension" stub area and the Saturn's Amiga-lookin' content, I'm happier with the former. :lol:

(I wish KCET had put a random trigger tile in the room behind Galamoth, then stuck an exclusive enemy type down there - and by exclusive enemy, I mean a random skeleton in a hard hat. Next to some hazard tape, and an "UNDER CONSTRUCTION" sign. Whack him for his hard hat! +200DEF and exclusive "bouncy bouncy" reflector mechanic! But the game crashes to a DOS prompt when you reach the last boss with it equipped. :cool:)
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I wish you'd designed SOTN.

Remind me to hire you when I get on making a metroidvania game
BIL

Post by BIL »

OK, but I have stipulations (■`W´■)

1) save rooms accumulate mysterious, noob-insulting graffiti with +3 uses

2) Gynoug Dickman summon, he can't kill anyone, just smack them away with his big dong

3) camera zoom on right stick like DARGONS DOGMA: MARK 4 DEATH (if Capcom sues us I'll DDOS them with Gynoug Dickman fan art, provided free of charge)