Bloodstained RotN : Kouji IGA's new "Castlevania" game.

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Turrican

Re: Bloodstained RotN : Kouji IGA's new "Castlevania" game.

Post by Turrican »

Sumez wrote:Wow, that's a really tough definition. Of the ones you mentioned, I'd say only Megaman 9 and 10, Shovel Knight and Curse of Issyos are actually created with NES aesthetics in mind.
Why the others don't fit the bill in your opinion? Ninja Senki for example, looks the part. Do you think they took too many liberties with color palette?
Double Dragon IV and Wizorb seem to have a NES-like palette too.
X - P - B
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Maybe it's more obvious when you'vee actually been working with the NES and are familiar with it's abilities, but I really think those games look vastly out of scope. Bar the occasional parallax, they could probably work on a PC Engine.
Turrican wrote:The game starts easy but believe me, trying to get some trophies will make things tricky well before approaching Ultimate mode.
I don't care about trophies, but I want to beat every challenge built into the game as it is.
However, I'm curious - do the trophies care if you play at Veteran mode at all? The game claims that there is no penalty to using Casual mode, but reading the description of what it does, it sounds a lot like cheating to me. Kind of dumb if the game compromises its own challenges by allowing players to cop out like that.
NYN

Crescent moon is best boon

Post by NYN »

Sumez wrote:Bosses are absurdly good looking. Especially a fan of the coin themed one.
Yeah.
Spoiler
I like how after the defeat the coinage turns to heap of skulls. Nice touch.
Started, but have yet to finish last stage first play.
I don't mean to gripe, but to me it feels like a cover band on tour. But I figger that's moot.
Maybe I'll get my fill when doing the Iado with Zangestu only. Pride, hollow thing that I am.
WhatImageeven mean, though?!
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Sumez wrote:Maybe it's more obvious when you'vee actually been working with the NES and are familiar with it's abilities, but I really think those games look vastly out of scope. Bar the occasional parallax, they could probably work on a PC Engine.
Perhaps a good way of reasoning is trying to imagine a proper NES demake of such titles. There are very few instances of this actually happening, the only one that comes to mind is Retro City Rampage -> Rom City Rampage.
Turrican wrote:I don't care about trophies, but I want to beat every challenge built into the game as it is.
However, I'm curious - do the trophies care if you play at Veteran mode at all? The game claims that there is no penalty to using Casual mode, but reading the description of what it does, it sounds a lot like cheating to me. Kind of dumb if the game compromises its own challenges by allowing players to cop out like that.
Not sure, I've never tried the casual and I'm glad, since the first "normal" playthrough felt casual enough even on veteran. I suppose trophies aren't affect by it though.
Spoiler
They didn't really seem to care for making meaningful trophy challenges, as there isn't even a trophy for conquering Ultimate mode...
X - P - B
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Turrican wrote:There are very few instances of this actually happening, the only one that comes to mind is Retro City Rampage -> Rom City Rampage.
Didn't that game begin development as a homebrew title though?
Streemerz is a good example of a great NES "demake" that still plays super well.
A few people have tried remaking Mega Man 9 or 10 on NES, but always gave up due to too many compromises. And those were definitely made to look like NES games.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Don't misunderstand me though; I'm aware all these have too many frames, effects and stuff to be impossible, in their actual form, on the NES. What I'm interested about is the pure graphical side of things, ie how many of these adhere to NES graphical conventions, and how far their fidelity extends to. In this sense, Ninja Senki may lose point for a too vibrant palette, but gain some for being true to 4:3 ratio, and so on. It'd be obviously insane to really code the game "on the metal" and not release for the grey wonder. That's why I'm anticipating Xenocrisis and Tanglewood so much: no better proof of hardware fidelty than being able to run on it :)

Regarding my CotM progress:
Spoiler
Finished Boss Rush Mode, and it didn't unlock an "ultimate" version of Boss Rush. I wonder if it's there at all, maybe unlocked by completing Ultimate proper. Also, the trophies basically require you to play Normal several times, and I thought it was a nice touch that they wrote eding blurbs slightly different for every companion you bring with you. Nice touch. However, trying to get to the last boss without recruting anyone, *and* without getting Getsu's abilities will prove aggravating. It's really a reverse metroidvania, when you start free to explore and get all the powerup stuff, and then gradually you are meant to go alone and weak... :evil: Branching paths will also play against you, as you'll be often denied access to the fastest or easier routes. Devious Inti! By the time you go for the Nightmare's End trophy, you're not playing Akumajo Densetsu anymore, but Akumajo Dracula.
X - P - B
Austin

Post by Austin »

I got my backer code yesterday and was finally able to give it a go. I've since run through it four times and took a few stabs at the boss rush, and I feel it's a solid game overall. That first playthrough was bliss as I'd never thought we'd get another CV game (or CV-like game) again. The gameplay feels very similar, the visuals do the job, and the soundtrack really fits in that universe.

After the first run, I tried it a second time on Nightmare and blitzed through the thing. When you know the mechanics of each character, you can really plow through the game without much trouble. I do wish the difficulty was higher overall, as Ultimate mode, the one you'd think would be the hardest, was basically just Nightmare while also having Zangetsu's upgraded abilities. Hopefully we'll see a patch later on that adds an even higher level of difficulty (Nightmare and Ultimate are both kind of a joke). Going through the game with just Zangetsu and no upgrades is certainly an option (and a challenge), but he doesn't feel anywhere near as great to play as a classic Belmont, so it's not that much fun to do.
sky-13

Post by sky-13 »

Turrican wrote:Don't misunderstand me though; I'm aware all these have too many frames, effects and stuff to be impossible, in their actual form, on the NES. What I'm interested about is the pure graphical side of things, ie how many of these adhere to NES graphical conventions, and how far their fidelity extends to. In this sense, Ninja Senki may lose point for a too vibrant palette, but gain some for being true to 4:3 ratio, and so on. It'd be obviously insane to really code the game "on the metal" and not release for the grey wonder. That's why I'm anticipating Xenocrisis and Tanglewood so much: no better proof of hardware fidelty than being able to run on it :)

Regarding my CotM progress:
Spoiler
Finished Boss Rush Mode, and it didn't unlock an "ultimate" version of Boss Rush. I wonder if it's there at all, maybe unlocked by completing Ultimate proper. Also, the trophies basically require you to play Normal several times, and I thought it was a nice touch that they wrote eding blurbs slightly different for every companion you bring with you. Nice touch. However, trying to get to the last boss without recruting anyone, *and* without getting Getsu's abilities will prove aggravating. It's really a reverse metroidvania, when you start free to explore and get all the powerup stuff, and then gradually you are meant to go alone and weak... :evil: Branching paths will also play against you, as you'll be often denied access to the fastest or easier routes. Devious Inti! By the time you go for the Nightmare's End trophy, you're not playing Akumajo Densetsu anymore, but Akumajo Dracula.
The way to get to Ultimate boss rush is to hold down L than select boss rush.

Holding R, X and Y also have varying effects on Boss Rush such as full power Zangetsu or the Sub-Weapons reappearing after each round.

You can even mix and match combinations so have a blast!
WARNING: no refuge
JBC

Post by JBC »

Ugh... I just watched the e3 demo & it's pretty rough. Repetitively heaving generic character models sort of melt as they exchange drawn out dialogue for ages, iOS font for menus & damage indicators, a cartoon shader that recalls nothing of SotN's visuals. It feels cheap & messy...

This will never live up to SotN without a lot of work.
Godzilla was an inside job
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

8BA wrote:Ugh... I just watched the e3 demo & it's pretty rough. Repetitively heaving generic character models sort of melt as they exchange drawn out dialogue for ages, iOS font for menus & damage indicators, a cartoon shader that recalls nothing of SotN's visuals. It feels cheap & messy...

This will never live up to SotN without a lot of work.
May I suggest taking a different approach? After all, SotN's menu font aren't exaclty top class either, and the game was loaded with crummy fmvs, hilarious voice acting and yet it became bigger than the sum of its parts.

Anyway, two things to keep in mind: as Ron Gilbert once said "If I make another point and click adventure people will complain it's not on par with Monkey Island. But what they really mean is it's not on par with their nostalgia of Monkey Island"

Because of this, and because SotN's is 1997, I'd look at the upcoming game in a different light... Did I enjoy SotN in 1997? Yes. Did I dream many more of these games in the following decades? Yes. What was I given instead? Bioshocks, Halos. :( Am I happy that I get to see another one? Yes.

Graphically, it's a serviceable Dracula X Chronicles, nothing more and nothing less than the evolution of that approach.
X - P - B
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

Turrican wrote:Anyway, two things to keep in mind: as Ron Gilbert once said "If I make another point and click adventure people will complain it's not on par with Monkey Island. But what they really mean is it's not on par with their nostalgia of Monkey Island"
I feel that's the reason why MGSV had so much backlash,since it didn't lived up to the fanfiction most of the fanbase wrote in their minds. I really dislike the meme among certain MGS fans that MGS1-3 was a perfect trilogy or that the story didn't need to continue beyond MGS2 (which I call bullshit on) when MGS1 and 2 were rather flawed games to begin with.
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

It seems to me that they're more interested in making a big screen version of Order of Ecclesia than making another attempt at SotN. And I think that's the smart move. Certainly more achievable than making a game that's better than all the fans' favorite game of all time ever.
sky-13 wrote:The way to get to Ultimate boss rush is to hold down L than select boss rush.

Holding R, X and Y also have varying effects on Boss Rush such as full power Zangetsu or the Sub-Weapons reappearing after each round.

This is really cool! I had no idea!! It seems on PC you achieve this affect by holding own the keys I, N, T, C rather than using the gamepad.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Turrican wrote: While I would agree in general, I disagree on this particular case, and for two reasons. The majority of Iga's career has been revolved into getting people to acknoledge how much Dracula's Curse rocks, and how much one is missing out if he doesn't get to play it.
Wait, what?
Is there anything more to this other than he brought Alucard back.
Turrican wrote: Anyway, two things to keep in mind: as Ron Gilbert once said "If I make another point and click adventure people will complain it's not on par with Monkey Island. But what they really mean is it's not on par with their nostalgia of Monkey Island"
I guess. For my part however I played DoS first then SoTN later in 2013 or so. I've since finished all the castletroids and none of them do it for me quite like sotn does. I've played it more than any of the others and I could happily start a new playthrough tonight.
This holds true to me even if there's parts of the later games that are clearly superior. I don't know how to explain it. Magical vacation Dracula, that's it.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Blinge wrote:Wait, what?
Is there anything more to this other than he brought Alucard back.
Well, in 1997 Alucard was brought back as protagonist. In 2001, Iga candidly elects Drac's Curse as his favorite (in the Chronicles in-game interview). In 2005, Dawn of Sorrow has the alternate "Julius mode" which is basically a metroidvania retelling of Drac's Curse with the switching characters. Later in 2005, Iga also attempted a sort of "sequel" to Dracula's Curse, for his ambitious 3D outing (Curse of Darkness), that among the other things, brings back Ralph/Trevor as a playable character. That's focusing on the big stuff, leaving alone all the homages that littered his production, so basically there wasn't a Iga production without at least one musical nod to this particular episode: Portrait has Overture, Ecclesia has Riddle, Dracula X Chronicles has Demon Seed...
I'd say Bloodstained CotM is the crowning jewel in this long love letter.

Blinge wrote:I guess. For my part however I played DoS first then SoTN later in 2013 or so. I've since finished all the castletroids and none of them do it for me quite like sotn does. I've played it more than any of the others and I could happily start a new playthrough tonight.
This holds true to me even if there's parts of the later games that are clearly superior. I don't know how to explain it. Magical vacation Dracula, that's it.
oh, I'm with you there. That the game hit all the spots and became magical is true. That you probably cannot recreate the magic with some alchemy of ingredients is also true, but the original alchemy wasn't made of pure perfection:

https://goo.gl/images/T5r8vm

I'd say Bloodstained has bigger fishes to fry than addressing the fonts right now...
Weak Boson wrote:It seems to me that they're more interested in making a big screen version of Order of Ecclesia than making another attempt at SotN. And I think that's the smart move. Certainly more achievable than making a game that's better than all the fans' favorite game of all time ever.
True, by the time Ecclesia came out, Iga had poured so much of his own stuff into the scenario writing that the game was already a sort of reboot, straying quite a bit from the original source. It makes only sense that he brought that template back for his Kickstarter project. In a way, Iga's not doing Konami's Castlevania, but his own Igavania.
X - P - B
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Turrican wrote: May I suggest taking a different approach? After all, SotN's menu font aren't exaclty top class either, and the game was loaded with crummy fmvs, hilarious voice acting and yet it became bigger than the sum of its parts.

Anyway, two things to keep in mind: as Ron Gilbert once said "If I make another point and click adventure people will complain it's not on par with Monkey Island. But what they really mean is it's not on par with their nostalgia of Monkey Island"
I'm not even sure what point you are trying to make here, but SOTN blew me away the first time I saw it, and it still does every time I see it. It's definitely not a nostalgia thing, the game isn't that old to me.
Bloodstained does not look good, and will never blow anyone anywhere.

Bloodstained isn't the first anyway. SOTN got its first follow up when Konami finally realised the formula was worth revisiting and they had the opportunity with a brand new 2D system in the GBA. For every new metroidvania we were all hoping for a worthy successor to SOTN that never came fully realised, despite the games still being mostly great.
I've come to terms with the fact that I'll never see a new console Castlevania with every detail as incredibly cared for as they were in SOTN, and I wouldn't recommend anyone expecting that from Bloodstained either. That's the only approach I can recommend, and a successor to Ecclesia is more than I could have hoped for anyway.
Jonny2x4 wrote: I really dislike the meme among certain MGS fans that MGS1-3 was a perfect trilogy or that the story didn't need to continue beyond MGS2 (which I call bullshit on) when MGS1 and 2 were rather flawed games to begin with.
Ergh. The story absolutely did not need to continue beyond MGS2. :) There was no way to go from there aside from a messy attempt to tie up everything, and MGS4 is living proof how terrible that can be.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Finally got my download code (3DS europe), although I didn't receive a mail about it. I've got a lengthy train ride tomorrow, so I hope I can dig into CotM then. Looking forward to it.
sky-13

Post by sky-13 »

Weak Boson wrote:It seems to me that they're more interested in making a big screen version of Order of Ecclesia than making another attempt at SotN. And I think that's the smart move. Certainly more achievable than making a game that's better than all the fans' favorite game of all time ever.
sky-13 wrote:The way to get to Ultimate boss rush is to hold down L than select boss rush.

This is really cool! I had no idea!! It seems on PC you achieve this affect by holding own the keys I, N, T, C rather than using the gamepad.
Interesting! The code seems like a nod to Inti Creates.
WARNING: no refuge
Dochartaigh

Post by Dochartaigh »

Played it last night for the first time...it's OK to be honest. REALLY wished it had the ability to turn on scanlines (even if they're fake). A little bit challenging too – or I just suck anymore lol (I guess in newer games I'm just used to breezing through them and not dying too much).
Jonny2x4

Post by Jonny2x4 »

Sumez wrote: Ergh. The story absolutely did not need to continue beyond MGS2. :) There was no way to go from there aside from a messy attempt to tie up everything, and MGS4 is living proof how terrible that can be.
MGS2 definitely ended with a deliberate cliffhanger the way I see it. Whether Kojima himself actually intended to follow it up on that at some point or leave it to his successor to explore seems to be the debate. At any rate, I don't think MGS4 was the trainwreck it was made out to be and in retrospect, I think the only reason the story turned out the way it was due to Kojima trying to tone down the Anti-Americanism of the previous games by making the conflict more personal, going as far as retconning the identity of The Patriots from being a shadowy cabal within the U.S. government to Big Boss's former support crew.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Sumez wrote:I'm not even sure what point you are trying to make here, but SOTN blew me away the first time I saw it, and it still does every time I see it. It's definitely not a nostalgia thing, the game isn't that old to me.
I guess the point I'm trying to make is... Look, I'm old. I didn't even approach SotN the way most others did, I guess: a lot of people were probably taken by surprise by the unxepected greatness of it, but I was already anticipating it. In 1995, I had tracked down one of the few local stores that had a copy of Castlevania Vampire's Kiss for the Super Nintendo: when everyone else was fond of Ridge Racer or Doom, or Donkey Kong Country, Castlevania was already one of the last few things I cared about coming from the medium. The Playstation had gotten an amazing 1996, with the likes of Tomb Raider, Wipeout 2097, Residen Evil, Command & Conquer, yet I only drooled over magazine previews of "Dracula X".

SotN has achieved the enviable status of perfectly crystallized classic, so everyone gets back to it no matter what, but fans of -vania episodes that followed have to try to put things into perspective. I've done this, and I found out that I kept enjoying the formula after the blueprint, and that Iga did outdo himself five times out of six at least in pure gameplay terms. Circle (no Iga involvement), Aria, Dawn, Portrait and Ecclesia all feature substantial improvements in what was SotN's soft underbelly: the challenge factor. With time, boss battles have been made more satisfying, gimmicky powerup items such as Crissaegrim have been removed or made rarer, the games have been balanced for the better; alternate modes have been added and so on.

So you see, when you say
Sumez wrote:For every new metroidvania we were all hoping for a worthy successor to SOTN that never came fully realised
that couldn't be more far removed from my experience: I liked what this team was doing. They were doing their thing, and the games were constantly good, and they were the only ones around doing this (unlike today where one indie game out of four is a non-linear action adventure). And they kept improving on a number of key issues, striving for excellence despite being rerouted on the portables market, until Konami plugged the cord.
Sumez wrote:Bloodstained does not look good, and will never blow anyone anywhere.
There are two ways to look at SotN. If you look at its hand-drawn 2D aesthetics, it can't be matched. Probably the best thing you can do if you want a match in that department, is to go get Alundra or even better Suikoden II. If you only look for a tapestry of godlike pixelart, you're out of luck here.
It's important to recognize the developers their due, that they never conceived the Kickstarter campaign, saying that Bloodstained was going to compete in that department. The 2.5D approach and the use of Unreal platform were staples of it since its inception. So yes: it doesn't look as good, but that wasn't the goal.

The idea of the project is that people have been missing that type of game experience; not that they've been missing 2D pixelart, which is obviously also true, only Bloodstained won't remedy that.
Sumez wrote:I've come to terms with the fact that I'll never see a new console Castlevania with every detail as incredibly cared for as they were in SOTN, and I wouldn't recommend anyone expecting that from Bloodstained either. That's the only approach I can recommend, and a successor to Ecclesia is more than I could have hoped for anyway.
Again, I think Iga, Curry the Kid, Yamane, Kojima Ayami and all the other talents involved in Bloodstained but also in the previous Igavania did their best and cared. It's a conundrum: even if you ask me, SotN is always on the first place of the pedestal, but I've come to terms that this doesn't detract from the following ones / doesn't imply that they rushed things or cared less. Quite the contrary, in fact.

http://www.shacknews.com/article/105622 ... -the-night

Let's just be happy they're miraculously still out there giving their best.
X - P - B
Austin

Post by Austin »

I didn't back the Kickstarter expecting it to be another Symphony of the Night. Nothing ever will be.

If Ritual of the Night turns out to be about on par with some of the better DS releases, I am totally OK with that. I'm just glad to have a new game in that style.
Marc

Post by Marc »

It's been years since I played them, but of the GBA games, Circle was the only one I remember as being a step down in quality, the other two were just as good as Symphony. I don't seem to have the same nostalgia for that games that everyone else has - it's brilliant don't get me wrong, but there are parts where it's a bit empty, and some of the pacing is slightly off. The graphical style on the new one is a shame, but if it plays as well as any of the games above I'll be very happy indeed.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Turrican wrote:I guess the point I'm trying to make is... [etc.]
Now I'm even less certain what your point is. :P
SotN has achieved the enviable status of perfectly crystallized classic, so everyone gets back to it no matter what, but fans of -vania episodes that followed have to try to put things into perspective. I've done this, and I found out that I kept enjoying the formula after the blueprint, and that Iga did outdo himself five times out of six at least in pure gameplay terms. Circle (no Iga involvement), Aria, Dawn, Portrait and Ecclesia all feature substantial improvements in what was SotN's soft underbelly: the challenge factor. With time, boss battles have been made more satisfying, gimmicky powerup items such as Crissaegrim have been removed or made rarer, the games have been balanced for the better; alternate modes have been added and so on.

So you see, when you say
Sumez wrote:For every new metroidvania we were all hoping for a worthy successor to SOTN that never came fully realised
that couldn't be more far removed from my experience: I liked what this team was doing. They were doing their thing, and the games were constantly good, and they were the only ones around doing this (unlike today where one indie game out of four is a non-linear action adventure). And they kept improving on a number of key issues, striving for excellence despite being rerouted on the portables market, until Konami plugged the cord.
Let's stay on focus here. The talk was entirely about the presentation of the game, as no one at this time has any idea if the game will be an improvement over the isssues SOTN did have. But what is clear from the demonstration was that the game looked cheap and unimpressive, which was the subject I was commenting on.
Sure, SOTN already reuses a lot of sprites from the previous DracX, but they fit well in, and they all look amazing. The entire presentation is just through the roof, full of all these little details that emanates the feeling of a development team who had way too much energy and creativity to pour into this game until it started spilling over through every single crack. You see it in the varity of enemies and attacks, and their superfluous animations, you see it in the easy-to-miss details in the backgrounds, and in all the little things you can see and do that eventually don't serve any real purpose, and it also carries through in all the well hidden content throughout the entire castle that rewards every single additional playthrough, or ideas for alternative ways of playing the game.

SOTN is just such a creative feast that none of the handheld IGAvanias ever came close to, despite all sharing a thorough feel of solid quality and similar, beautiful graphics, and despite obviously improving in a few other areas, such as the much needed improvement in boss designs from the second Aria, or the overall better challenge in Ecclesia. I don't think any of the games you mention are better than SOTN at all, though Ecclesia does come close.
Last edited by Sumez on Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Marc wrote:It's been years since I played them, but of the GBA games, Circle was the only one I remember as being a step down in quality, the other two were just as good as Symphony.
Circle is actually the best of the GBA games as far as I care. However, it's a very different approach to the genre than SOTN, so it's easy to underestimate it when you first see it, since it originally looked like they were trying to recreate that experience.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Back to Curse of the Moon:

I finished the last trophy playthrough today for 100%. Still haven't tried Casual mode, but it feels dirty that you could have used that to get the trophies. But then again, I never actually cared about trophies, I just liked the game enough to play it through the seven times (+ boss rush) it took to get all the different "endings".

Most fun playthrough was definitely vanilla Zangetsu. As much as I've praised the game for making each character's playstyle fit into the stage design, the true intentions of the game come out when you play Zangetsu's "Ninja Gaiden" style without any of the upgrades (as far as I can tell, all of them are impossible to pick up without the help of recruiting or sacrificies the other characters). I really love the dynamic of increasing the game's difficulty through this design and (the lack of) character abilities, rather than just having a difficulty selection. And starting out playing the other "modes" with more means to overcome the challenges definitely schools you for the tougher "versions" of the same stages.

Stragely enough, "Nightmare" and "Ultimate" modes feel pretty superfluous in that context. Aside from some additions to the boss fights, Nightmare mode doesn't really feel harder (are there even any other alterations?), but the added stage and new final boss was cool. Ultimate mode is probably the easiest of all three modes due to the superpowered Zangetsu, despite having the bosses of Nightmare mode.

The game gives you tons of 1UPs, and even more if you dodge all the finishing attacks of the bosses, so a 1CC isn't hard on any mode, but for solo vanilla Zangetsu, it definitely took a bit of practice, since the game is relatively long (just over an hour for a casual playthrough without too many setbacks)
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Marc wrote:It's been years since I played them, but of the GBA games, Circle was the only one I remember as being a step down in quality, the other two were just as good as Symphony.
Fuck. He really just said Harmony of Dissonance is as good as SoTN.
:shock:
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
BIL

Post by BIL »

Qualified by memory though. :wink: (A WRONG MEMORY Image )
The Bale Baron BIRUFORDO VON BEAST FUCK wrote:"He runs like he's shat himself. He jumps like he's shat himself. He even walks like he's shat himself."
Austin

Post by Austin »

Circle of the Moon is still interesting to me because it feels pretty different from the rest of the MetroidVanias, and it still boasts a solid challenge (particularly when you get to the Arena). Many parts are dangerous, boss and enemy patterns have to be memorized, and you can get wrecked pretty quickly by not playing things right. Skill is required in this game, which I think is off-putting to some players. Also, its running and double jump mechanics allow for some great flow when you really take advantage of them, and the unlockable modes offer unique takes on the experience which gives the game solid replay value. It also doesn't hurt that it's got some solid music, unlike the next entry in the series (the less spoken about that one, the better).
Sumez wrote:Most fun playthrough was definitely vanilla Zangetsu. As much as I've praised the game for making each character's playstyle fit into the stage design, the true intentions of the game come out when you play Zangetsu's "Ninja Gaiden" style without any of the upgrades (as far as I can tell, all of them are impossible to pick up without the help of recruiting or sacrificies the other characters). I really love the dynamic of increasing the game's difficulty through this design and (the lack of) character abilities, rather than just having a difficulty selection. And starting out playing the other "modes" with more means to overcome the challenges definitely schools you for the tougher "versions" of the same stages.
I did this today as well and it's definitely the best challenge the game has to offer. I did run into trouble in the last few stages but for the most part everything up to that point was fine. The game tends to give you the items that are best suited for any given screen, so as long as you are playing smart it's not too bad.

The hardest part for me was definitely the final boss. I still haven't figured out its first form (the second is fairly predictable, it just requires some endurance). Fortunately you do have a permanent 1-up before the last fight, so there's no excuse if you game-over at this point.

Regarding the game's overall difficulty, I do wish there was more flexibility in this department. For instance, it would be nice if you could play the Nightmare mode with just Zangetsu. Ultimate mode was also neat, but it would have been much more satisfying to play if they really cranked the difficulty sky high for CV veterans. Or at least to CV1 and CV3 levels (CotM isn't anywhere near even the first loop of difficulty in those games, even when played on Nightmare).
Marc

Post by Marc »

Blinge wrote:
Fuck. He really just said Harmony of Dissonance is as good as SoTN.
:shock:
Is it not? Genuine question, I don't really follow critical opinion, so have no idea on how the various games are rated. I just remember not being particularly disappointed with any of them, taking into consideration they were handheld titles.

Circle I probably never gave a fair crack of the whip to - all I really remember about that is for the few hours I played it, there were areas where I couldn't see jack shit on the original GBA. May have to try it again, emulated.

I've just realised I played the first DS game as well, maybe I'm getting this mixed up with Harmony? I dunno, long time ago. I only realised I'd played this reading its description on Wiki and being reminded of the stupid stylus boss battle thing.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Austin

Post by Austin »

Marc wrote:I've just realised I played the first DS game as well, maybe I'm getting this mixed up with Harmony? I dunno, long time ago. I only realised I'd played this reading its description on Wiki and being reminded of the stupid stylus boss battle thing.
It depends on what you are thinking of. In Harmony, you walk around with a chain whip. In Dawn (the first DS game), it's much more like Symphony both visually and gameplay-wise (an arsenal based heavily around swords). I can see the comparison if you are thinking of the later.