Comic books you've just read

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
JBC

Comic books you've just read

Post by JBC »

Using the Marvel Unlimited app I've recently been going through a lot of John Byrne stuff I missed from the 80's & earlier. I really enjoyed Alpha Flight & some of his Fantastic Four considerably.

As well, I had finally decided to delve into Doctor Strange, starting from the beginning.

The new Ms. Marvel is pretty heartwarming & they pull off a Muslim character without being preachy or dumb about it. It surprisingly comes off as very genuine (Not like DC's gun toting Green Lantern Simon Baz).

I also recently read through Dark Horse's new Fire & Stone stories. Mostly great art with bad storytelling, but enjoyable nonetheless. I still wish they would return to the style of the 90's Aliens minis.

Pretty soon I'll need to catch up on that new Dark Judges story 2000AD has been running.
Godzilla was an inside job
Ed Oscuro

Re: Comic books you've just read

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Sure, I can do that. First thought: I tend to like stories that are easy to find and grab, but then easy to get out of. Short story arcs are good - some time ago I drifted away from Gaiman's Sandman, fairly quickly, despite the quality of the premise. The time commitment of reading it couldn't have helped, but I really hate filler. Sometimes, being hard to please just means you save time.

tl;dr list of semi-recent things: Josh Simmons' Batman; the first Elseworlds story "Batman: Gotham by Gaslight" and its sequel "Master of the Future;" "The Many Deaths of the Batman" from Batman #433-435 (May-July '89); "Dark Knight, Dark City" from Batman #451-453 (August-September '90).

The very latest thing - Josh Simmons' Batman (later edited into "Mark of the Bat," found in the anthology "The Furry Trap," which I'm not likely to read). Found on Tumblr. I read a few other highly lauded Batman stories: "Many Deaths of the Batman" and both Gotham by Gaslight issues. In truth, I could have skipped all these things. Previously, even hokey-sounding things like the first "Batman & Dracula: Red Rain" or "Castle of the Bat" comics turned out enjoyable enough, because they have simple premises and go to it with gusto - wham, bam, and then we move on to the next thing, moth to a flame. Even "out there" stuff like the undoubtedly amazing and best-selling original Serious Earth '89: Arkham Asylum - has this quality. Even if the visuals or Maxie fried your brain, it was only one book. Aside from Arkham Asylum's especially accomplished art and story, there's seemingly little to separate the recent reads from the other extremely congested publishing history of Batman Elseworlds (I just had a look, whoa) in the '90s/'00s.

Simmons' story is basically a ten-second joke wrapped up in ugly art - good enough for one guy; to be fair about that and the art, it was released nearly ten years ago and wouldn't exactly profit from a more accomplished style; and releasing an "undocumented" Bats tale was a gutsy idea. Perhaps I'm also being dismissive calling it a joke; I agree with one of the reviewers that Simmons' disturbed Batty doesn't fit the usual "fascist" mold, exactly; he's clearly deranged, but in a scarily approachable way that has an additional ironic benefit of adding the hero to the rogues' gallery after some trick of ethical reductionism. The older Gaslight issues have a few strikingly-drawn panels, but crummy storylines. Deaths and both Gaslight issues try to cobble narrative out of shit pulled from thin air. It doesn't work. I do like Alfred's distraction from Deaths, though, and the spectacle of Wayne dressing up as Johnny Quest's Hadji but all grown up was good for making my eyes cross.

I also read Dark Knight, Dark City, which also pulls some shit, but it's a bit clever (sometimes - it falters - psuedo-spoiler obfuscated text for a bit). Sometimes it doesn't think things through, like Jefferson & co. following through with the whole ritual "for a lark" until the final step. One of the earlier steps should have triggered their abandonment of the scheme, really - the part that leads to the climactic scene of the story, the one that gave this story its infamy. I'm talking about the baby tracheotomy of course. Plot-wise, it almost tosses it all away with a couple unbelievable trick twists (one at the convenient explanation of the "speed bump," and especially at the predictable "is it supernatural?" one at the ending). On the other hand, the highly sentimental catharsis of the ending seemed like the perfect way to twist off a rather rough ride for ol' Batty. Still, I don't feel especially better for the (admittedly short) time investment.

In other news, lots of stuff looks promising - just not enough time. The KGBeast story arc seems anachronistically pleasing (I like the "Knights of Coprolite" gag). Looking at the Elseworlds list has me pulling out a few titles for later. I'm not ashamed to say that the advertising of a snappy title works - Holy Terror? Batman as a pirate? Batman from the 13th to the 25th centuries, brought to you by the word Dynasty? Yes, please (though I was hoping that last had Shogun Wayne in it...alas - there are limits; "Sin Tzu" sounds dumb). Notice none of these things are centered around the premise of Batman's writers gazing deeply into the navel, like in Deaths. I just don't care that much about Batman's home or social life. Shocking!

My fondest wish would be for more comics to be done in a high-octane haul across the strip like so many of the best-remembered titles - the aforementioned Arkham Asylum certainly, Dark Knight, and Alan Moore's contemporaneous efforts V and Watchmen, or early Sin City issues. I don't mind the retreads of a familiar character's story - but just do something fresh with it, and quickly. I don't think my wishes will be granted because comics sell better when churned out at a breakneck pace, and people buy the pulp.

This got me interested only for the sole missing story arc from a Marvel collection - the ROM SpaceKnight one, of course! ROM himself is getting some kind of limited toy rerelease soon. Also, spare a thought for Bill Mantlo and the many artists who can't afford health coverage.

Pretty much everything historical Tundra Publishing put out looks interesting in some way or another.
For more recent stuff, I actually found some things on a recent IGN list (SHOCK HORROR) looked intriguing: Locke & Key, Casanova, The Goon...
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

That's a terrible story about Bill Mantlo. I loved ROM and Micronauts many years ago. I wish both were available in digital format.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Re-read 1&2 Morbus Gravis (a.k.a. Druuna) books by Paolo Eleuteri Serpieri. For manga scanlations, I prefer tated CRT, but a larger TV suits the size of these scans better (software being CDisplay), even if the screen resolution is lower.

As exploitative as I remembered.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

drauch

Post by drauch »

^Thanks for reminding me about this. Right up my alley. Anything else you'd recommend with similar art or erotica?
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Hi,

I am still reading Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run but quite near the end.

I am up to book # 3 of The Sandman - quite good.

Hellblazer book # 3 too - I quite like this comic.

Steadily working my way through the original Ghost Rider in four volumes.

Always been a big follower of 2000AD in general and Rogue Trooper and ABC Warriors in particular.

I also read some German translated Horror comics from the 1970s as of late too.

To read: Enki Bilal's Nikopol Trilogy - in French - anyone read it or got an english or german translation?

On order: Batman: year one and The Long Halloween.

Cheers,

Minty.
More Bromances = safer people
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

drauch wrote:^Thanks for reminding me about this. Right up my alley. Anything else you'd recommend with similar art or erotica?
Burton & Cyb springs to mind, by Antonio Segura and José Ortiz.

As well as Time Paradox (I think the English title is) by Juan Giménez (perhaps best known for Metabarons in the US).

MintyTheCat wrote:Always been a big follower of 2000AD in general and Rogue Trooper and ABC Warriors in particular.
Rogue Trooper is another title I should read using this telly.
MintyTheCat wrote:To read: Enki Bilal's Nikopol Trilogy - in French - anyone read it or got an english or german translation?
I read these in Polish, but from what I gather, if you intend to read such comics in some global language, Spanish is your best bet.
Last edited by Obiwanshinobi on Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
The way out is cut off

MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

The Fourth Power by Juan Giménez I can recommend:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fourth-Power-Ju ... 9nez+power
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Yes, I recommend Rogue Trooper.

Yes, I can still read enough Spanish and it is a lot better than my French which is pretty crap.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Recently read Crossed and Preacher. Need to get caught back up on Walking Dead as well, several issues behind at this point I think.

I was huge into comics in my youth, sort of dropped the hobby late in highschool and only recently started getting back in. My main thing was always Batman, or wacky weird things I stumbled on in bargain bins in the comic shops, like Boris the Bear, Alien Legion and stuff like that.

Still have most of my comics from back then too. Have the Legends of the Dark Knight complete up to issue 0 when DC re-set the whole universe, which was right around when I stopped following.
JBC

Post by JBC »

MintyTheCat wrote:I am still reading Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run but quite near the end.
I hold those comics near and dear to my heart. They really expanded my mind as a kid.

I got into it thanks to those action figures from the 90's & started snagging up back issues. It didn't take me long to realize all the best stuff was coming from Moore's run.

It's too difficult for me to pick a favorite issue or moment but I want to mention 'My Blue Heaven'.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

8BA wrote:
MintyTheCat wrote:I am still reading Alan Moore's Swamp Thing run but quite near the end.
I hold those comics near and dear to my heart. They really expanded my mind as a kid.

I got into it thanks to those action figures from the 90's & started snagging up back issues. It didn't take me long to realize all the best stuff was coming from Moore's run.

It's too difficult for me to pick a favorite issue or moment but I want to mention 'My Blue Heaven'.
I have to agree. He really took it to another level. I never really read Horror comics until about 4-5 years ago.
Have you read Moore's From Hell? I can recommend it but it is just so detailed that for me it was a bit of a mind-blower each issue so I had to pace myself with it :D

V for vendetta is also very good too. I was not that impressed with his Watchmen but I only read a part of it.

I liked a few of the stories within Swamp Thing and cannot think which I liked the most but I do recall the one about the Vampires under the water.
Reading Hellblazer now fills in some of the gaps as to what occurred in ST. I quite like Hellblazer with its more Occult themes.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

I had been meaning to get back into Batman and read BM: Year One the other day:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_Year_One

I had looked at the art way back but never got around to reading it.

I also have The Long Halloween to read and would like to read The Dark Knight Returns as it was pretty good when I first read it.

I can only take so much BM every now and again but it can be very good. I tend to like my BM dark, gritty and gothic - he should never really be seen in full light but rather bathed in shadows :)

Cheers,

Minty.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Yeah, I'm also interested to read the post-Dark Knight Returns material by Miller. For whatever reason I find that late '80s, early '90s art style wears pretty well, despite being intentionally garish. Maybe it's just my age.

Speaking of "obscured' Batman material, the original Arkham Asylum short was spectacular. It's not life-changing but it is a much-needed breath of fresh air.
z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

I've been rereading Batman Knightfall after getting the 3 big trades and man its so cheesy 90's, but I still enjoy it. Bane breaks Batman and Jean-Paul Valley becomes Techno Assassin Batman :D
Ed Oscuro wrote:Yeah, I'm also interested to read the post-Dark Knight Returns material by Miller. For whatever reason I find that late '80s, early '90s art style wears pretty well, despite being intentionally garish. Maybe it's just my age.

Speaking of "obscured' Batman material, the original Arkham Asylum short was spectacular. It's not life-changing but it is a much-needed breath of fresh air.
I think Dark Knight Strikes again is kind of a either you like it or hate it book. I myself find it meh, and hated the art in it. Haven't read Allstar Batman an Robin but all I hear is how bad it is.

Grant Morrison's Arkam Asylum is a really good book. I remember when I read it for the first time and was blown away with the art in it. I now some people dislike it but I find the art in it fitting and awesome.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Re-read 1&2 Morbus Gravis (a.k.a. Druuna) books by Paolo Eleuteri Serpieri.

As exploitative as I remembered.
Read these this weekend finally. Absolutely loved it. And yes, exploitative as all hell! Got some digitals of his artbooks as well. Wowee.

This put me on a huge binge. Picked up Dredd again. "Read" some Arzach this afternoon, as well as some Dororo. Got a bunch of Savage Sword of Conan coming in the mail, as well as The Ballad of Halo Jones and the first volume of Manara. My comic reading--and literature reading--is always very sporadic. Rarely do I read a bit, but instead binge hard, then put it off again for a bit. Need to rectify that, but time and work and all that shiiiiit.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Comic related but not a book per say.

I saw this Robert Crumb documentary in England about 20 years ago and watched it again last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_mhcDmfP70

I recommend it.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

I read the first part of the Batman Dracula cross-over this week:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_%2 ... la_trilogy

It wasn't too bad at all. I would like to read Gotham by Gaslight next. I think Batman lends itself well to the Gothic and Noir genres.
Cee
Banned User

Post by Cee »

I read ed brubakers "criminal" series which has been a delight from start to finish, any neo noir crime fans should definitely chck them out.
JBC

Post by JBC »

Venom should always be Eddie Brock. He should always be big, eat brains, & hate Spider-Man.

But this is Venom right now. He's double amputee Flash Thompson, secret agent for America & Guardian Of The Galaxy.

Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

MintyTheCat wrote:I read the first part of the Batman Dracula cross-over this week:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_%2 ... la_trilogy

It wasn't too bad at all. I would like to read Gotham by Gaslight next. I think Batman lends itself well to the Gothic and Noir genres.
I'm in roughly the same spot as you, having read things in the same order. I think that probably you should read the Gaslight (the original & Master Of The Future) tales next, saving the other Batman Dracula series next. I rather liked the first Batman Dracula, but I wasn't so keen on the Gaslight stories. However, that means that probably the Gaslight tales will help close things out on a high note (well, if seeing Batman going dark places is "a high note").
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

I just finished Watchmen... I'm stunned, it's so good, from beggining to end.

Going to give the movie a try in the near future
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Leandro wrote:I just finished Watchmen... I'm stunned, it's so good, from beggining to end.

Going to give the movie a try in the near future
I couldn't stand how the film appeared slavishly faithful to the comic books' framing at the beginning (and presumably further on, because nothing about it seemed inspired). If you can't come up with your own camera angles, well, what CAN you come up with?

Personally, I tend to be apologetic of Johnny Guitar which can be just as faithful to its dialogue with - arguably - too little life breathed into pure cinematography... but this life is there in the end (all the shootings, the dyings, though I'm going off-topic now).
The way out is cut off