shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum
 
* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:24 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 440 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Phantasy Star Series
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:13 am 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2013
Posts: 3321
Location: Villa Straylight
Haha. lets see 'em !
_________________
ImageImage
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phantasy Star Series
PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:58 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 14306
Location: Chicago
Let me see if I brought them home with me. A lot of shit went into the trash (junior high year books and shit) but those were just too amazing.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phantasy Star Series
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:43 am 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2017
Posts: 119
As much as I love some of the themes, artwork, and music of the Phantasy Star series, I've always considered the games to be terrifically overrated. The cult popularity of the series has always baffled me.
_________________
Quote:
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phantasy Star Series
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:44 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 28 Jan 2005
Posts: 1395
Location: USH
Image


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phantasy Star Series
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:50 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 14306
Location: Chicago
Out of curiosity how old were you when you played it and how long had it been out? I played it first run upon it's release and it tickled my balls. I can see how going back to it, it may not hold the charm that it once did. At the time though, that shit was amazing, especially considering the hardware. I think Yuji Naka is by and large a bit of a ding dong but according to a lot of literature on the subject, it is as good as it is b/c of his programming ability. He deserves a serious hat tip for that.

Quote:
Image

LOL -- amazing.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phantasy Star Series
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 8:54 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2017
Posts: 119
GaijinPunch wrote:
Out of curiosity how old were you when you played it and how long had it been out? I played it first run upon it's release and it tickled my balls. I can see how going back to it, it may not hold the charm that it once did. At the time though, that shit was amazing, especially considering the hardware. I think Yuji Naka is by and large a bit of a ding dong but according to a lot of literature on the subject, it is as good as it is b/c of his programming ability. He deserves a serious hat tip for that.

Quote:
Image

LOL -- amazing.


I played through some of 2 and all of 4. This was when the Sega Genesis Collection was released for the PS2 back in 2006, so I was in my early twenties. Phantasy Star 2 hooked me right from the start with its excellent opening cinematic and art style, but the combat was painfully bad. I played through Phantasy Star 4 soon afterward and it was just alright. Immediately after I finished it I played through Sword of Vermillion and enjoyed it exponentially more. About a year ago I played through Shining Force and really enjoyed that as well. So, it's not as if the Genesis doesn't have its share of great RPGs, I just don't think Phantasy Stars 2 and 4 are among them.
_________________
Quote:
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phantasy Star Series
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:04 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 07 Feb 2008
Posts: 4272
It's kind of hard to be overrated while being a fringe property. It never got as big as like Final Fantasy or anything.

Sci Fi fantasy is an aesthetic that is almost never used. I don't really get why considering how successful Star Wars was.

Overlook the innate hardware supremancy of the Master System over the NES, and compare Phantasy Star to its contemporary competition Hoshi wo Miru Hito. It's a small pond out there.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phantasy Star Series
PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:50 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2017
Posts: 119
Phantasy Star 4 is often cited as one of the best RPGs and Genesis games ever made. I wouldn't exactly call it a fringe game. Whenever people talk about the greatest 16-bit RPGs it's always inevitably mentioned.
_________________
Quote:
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phantasy Star Series
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:09 am 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 14306
Location: Chicago
Ajora wrote:
I played through some of 2 and all of 4. This was when the Sega Genesis Collection was released for the PS2 back in 2006, so I was in my early twenties. Phantasy Star 2 hooked me right from the start with its excellent opening cinematic and art style, but the combat was painfully bad. I played through Phantasy Star 4 soon afterward and it was just alright. Immediately after I finished it I played through Sword of Vermillion and enjoyed it exponentially more. About a year ago I played through Shining Force and really enjoyed that as well. So, it's not as if the Genesis doesn't have its share of great RPGs, I just don't think Phantasy Stars 2 and 4 are among them.


FWIW, none of the sequels lived up to the first one for me. The second one had a great story and really sucked me in, but the grid for the battle system kinda killed it for me. The 3d dungeons of the first one were unmatched for quite some time. Definitely smoked everything in the 8-bit world and most anything I can think of in the 16-bit world. And as BryanM said, the sci-fi fantasy theme isn't used a hell of a lot in RPGs, which I think adds to it's charm among it's die hard fans.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phantasy Star Series
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:20 am 


User avatar

Joined: 17 Apr 2017
Posts: 119
The Wizardry series has a really good sci-fi/fantasy aesthetic.
_________________
Quote:
There was a time, in the era of great chaos, when the Earth and the moon were at war with each other. A daredevil from the moon piloted a bizarre aircraft. It was feared, and because of its shape, called... Einhander.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phantasy Star Series
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:56 am 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2013
Posts: 6823
Location: block
Talk about niche, I've always wondered how Wizardry sold any games at all. Anyway it's not really the same vibe, I'd put PS aside Star Ocean rather, despite the sub-genre differences.
_________________
mycophobia wrote:
have tyou ever played dodponpatchi


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phantasy Star Series
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:13 am 


User avatar

Joined: 19 Jul 2019
Posts: 93
Location: The Sludge
If we're limiting ourselves to Sega, Might and Magic games also have a sci-fi/fantasy theme, but they'd usually trick you into thinking it was pure fantasy. II even lampshades this by calling robot enemies 'Iron Wizards'.

Of course, this is an entirely different sort of RPG, though it's worth mentioning.

There's also this though I've never actually tried the games. Maybe someone here has ;p
_________________
Image
My Discord is PerishedFraud#0293 in case you need me to tell you how lame Touhou is


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phantasy Star Series
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:24 am 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 14306
Location: Chicago
Owned them a few times... never actually tried. They were always on the list though.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phantasy Star Series
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 1:08 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 07 Feb 2008
Posts: 4272
Ajora wrote:
Whenever people talk about the greatest 16-bit RPGs it's always inevitably mentioned.


Whenever nerds have to make a big throwback list, yeah. It's really tough to think of 20 SNES/Genesis games when less than half of the jRPGs back then were even localized to english. (Once again, a small pond.)

Illusion of Gaia would be the one I'd harp on the most on always being in those listicles.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phantasy Star Series
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:56 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2013
Posts: 6823
Location: block
Some bad nerds bought and played the JP imports without help, not understanding shit. Nerd lords learned a minimum of Japanese to get through the games.

Indeed most those titles people actually played them on emulators, the earliest they could was between 97-99 when the first decent translated roms and emulators appeared.
But you really had to be a NERD. Yes in italics. I mean most people didn't have the internet yet and even home computers weren't a given.

However even before the issue of accessibility, magazines and shows were already praising the jRPGs we couldn't play like they were sacred artifacts only played in paradise.
And well that was fucking true as there was nothing better, all the best of an era, of everything 'just before FFVII' finally playable.
Anyway the minds were already shaped, opinions formed before even we actually even played many of those games lol.
But it was alright.

Great times.
_________________
mycophobia wrote:
have tyou ever played dodponpatchi


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phantasy Star Series
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:16 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 07 Feb 2008
Posts: 4272
Aurgh, yeah magazines back then were so mean. It wasn't like today where there's a saturated market and anyone can make one of these things. These companies were the gatekeepers.

I even played Last Bible out to the very end. Last Bible is terribbbbble.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phantasy Star Series
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:57 am 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 14306
Location: Chicago
Emulators? The real hard core NERDS (yes italics, underlined, and bold) were sticking big ass converters on their consoles and playing RPGs they couldn't in the least bit follow. For breaks they'd watch raw anime on VHS... again, couldn't make out a word!
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phantasy Star Series
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:20 am 


User avatar

Joined: 26 Jan 2005
Posts: 7127
Location: MD
I find it funny that one of the biggest Genesis converters is for domestic SMS games and is nothing more than a passthrough adapter (though card and sms pause button support is nice). I also find it interesting that there's a JP Phantasy Star 1 cart for MD, that's just the SMS game on a MD cart.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phantasy Star Series
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:40 am 


User avatar

Joined: 05 Nov 2013
Posts: 6823
Location: block
GaijinPunch wrote:
Emulators? The real hard core NERDS (yes italics, underlined, and bold) were sticking big ass converters on their consoles and playing RPGs they couldn't in the least bit follow. For breaks they'd watch raw anime on VHS... again, couldn't make out a word!

*humph*
Then what about the NERDS playing early translation hacks shared over early bbs's in 1997...on floppies with a Doctor-like machine!? :mrgreen:
This is how emulation and romhacking started, those people had absolutely no life, and probably ended up enslaved by HK triads, or became developers.
_________________
mycophobia wrote:
have tyou ever played dodponpatchi


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Phantasy Star Series
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 3:41 pm 


User avatar

Joined: 31 Jan 2005
Posts: 14306
Location: Chicago
Xyga wrote:
, those people had absolutely no life, .


Oh, I can assure you the same in the circles I ran in... including me probably.
_________________
RegalSin wrote:
New PowerPuff Girls. They all have evil pornstart eyelashes.


Top
 Offline Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 440 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15

All times are UTC


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bratwurst and 7 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group