NG:DEV.TEAM announce Kraut Buster

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
TransatlanticFoe

Re: NG:DEV.TEAM announce Kraut Buster

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Gunlord got the balance right with its Turrican homage, taking some key elements but ultimately ending up its own thing. This just looks like Metal Slug but with horrid sprites (the black outlines are really ugly) and chaining thrown in. And those balloon troopers look completely stupid.

If the sprites get updated with something considerably better and it plays as good as Metal Slug, I could be convinced if there's a Dreamcast port.
JBC

Post by JBC »

I'm sure a lot of work has gone into getting that precise MS look. I'm certain they didn't cut/paste anything unless someone can go in & compare assets for us? That only shows dedication to me, they want to make a Metal Slugalike for themselves & for fans.

It's besides the point now anyway. My attentions turned towards BIL:RZR's Treasure Of Arabia.
Godzilla was an inside job
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

rofl @ cave hermit's new avatar. SPEAKING OF THINGS SHAMEFULLY RIPPED, SIR

BTW, I don't quite see how this qualifies as a "copy and paste job" if they didn't get something like the jump right. Black outlines around sprites...I think that this is either showing a lot of learning-in-progress, or it really is an April Fools thing. There's certainly a lot for them to clean up, at least.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

This is going to need a lot of work to catch my interest upon release, especially if they're really planning on having it out by next winter.

The physics in general need a serious facelift. Not just the jumping, there's wonkiness in most other objects. For example the boss fight, where the shell goes straight for a bit, and then later curves down.

Also it needs a better 'hook' to differentiate it more from the Slugs. Enemy chaining alone isn't going to cut it, as that's already in the Slug series from 6 (Atomiswave) onward.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Ed Oscuro wrote:BTW, I don't quite see how this qualifies as a "copy and paste job" if they didn't get something like the jump right.
I think you're taking that out of context a bit. The jump is about the only original thing it's got going for it.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
JBC

Post by JBC »

It's not trying to be original.
Godzilla was an inside job
drauch

Post by drauch »

Oh. Thought it was.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Well, it looks like they don't have the chops to pull off a Metal Slug.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

The trailer gameplay could be the result of rushing to get a trailer out. This could very well improve into a very competent run and gun shooter, which would be nice because heaven knows we got those like once a millennium. The aesthetic will obviously never touch Metal Slug, but I would at least hold out on condemning the project until it becomes certain that they are putting no effort into improving the gameplay after significant development time.

If the final product looks as bad as this though, of course it will suck though.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

drauch wrote:
Ed Oscuro wrote:BTW, I don't quite see how this qualifies as a "copy and paste job" if they didn't get something like the jump right.
I think you're taking that out of context a bit. The jump is about the only original thing it's got going for it.
I think we're on the same page really, my comment doesn't come off right. I should say "not even" for full effect (?)
system11

Post by system11 »

Before the YouTube comments were disabled, they took comments on the bad jump and said they would fix it.

I ordered one...
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

system11 wrote:I ordered one...
It's your money and you certainly don't owe me an explanation, but Christ, why? Are you in on the 1st April plan? :mrgreen:
system11

Post by system11 »

I think the jump will get fixed, didn't have a problem with the rest and you can always resell LEs for what you paid anyway.

Interested to see what Slug at 60 FPS is like.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

At a glance I figured this was another DC release, surprised to see more for Neo Geo.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
Khan

Post by Khan »

Any game where you get to kill Nazis get my seal of approval!

O NOES ZE GERMANS ARE COMING! :mrgreen:
RegalSin wrote:America also needs less Pale and Char Coal looking people and more Tan skinned people since tthis will eliminate the diffrence between dark and light.

Where could I E-mail or mail to if I want to address my ideas and Opinions?
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

system11 wrote:I think the jump will get fixed, didn't have a problem with the rest and you can always resell LEs for what you paid anyway.

Interested to see what Slug at 60 FPS is like.
Even if those things are true, every preorder at this point is easily seen as a vote of confidence in where they are right now.

And since they don't want any more feedback in their YouTube video, it's going to be hard to communicate that feeling of cautious interest otherwise.
system11

Post by system11 »

The comment block was total bullshit, agreed. Trouble is Trolltube is full of trolls.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Khan wrote:Any game where you get to kill Nazis get my seal of approval!
Well that's why I find the title kind of stupid because it doesn't specify 'nazi' but 'kraut' which is ethnic slur for Germans without distinction.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

system11 wrote:The comment block was total bullshit, agreed. Trouble is Trolltube is full of trolls.
I have to agree with you there. Hopefully they still get comments otherwise.

My main beef here is that...well, NG-DEV surely want to show off their progress.

Perhaps it really is a blessing in disguise because the triangle jump (which could have spelt disaster for development) is being caught early. The 2D stuff is probably just a learning curve.

@ Xyga: Aren't NG-DEV Germans themselves? I've found it quite odd myself.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Ed Oscuro wrote:@ Xyga: Aren't NG-DEV Germans themselves? I've found it quite odd myself.
Yeah, so maybe it's because of those laws cave hermit mentioned, or they hate their own people, what do we know !? :mrgreen: :arrow:
system11

Post by system11 »

Xyga wrote:
Khan wrote:Any game where you get to kill Nazis get my seal of approval!
Well that's why I find the title kind of stupid because it doesn't specify 'nazi' but 'kraut' which is ethnic slur for Germans without distinction.
I don't like the title either. Having the word used for a boss name wouldn't bother me but naming the whole game that way just feels awkward.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

They posted that they fixed the jump.

It kind of looks like you can shoot diagonally in this. Might just be wishful thinking on my part. I think that's a huge part of the reason why the Metal Slug games are so much tougher than most other run and guns.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Kraut Buster MVS is setting by far a new sales record for us. It already sold 50% of the Limited Edition in 12h. Normally this takes 3 month.
Derp.

Best comment on the interwebs so far:
Is this a mega drive port of Metal Slug?
system11

Post by system11 »

Xyga wrote:Best comment on the interwebs so far:
Is this a mega drive port of Metal Slug?
Megadrive more powerful than Neo Geo - confirmed!
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

NG:DEV claims the reception has been much more positive on non-English Euro forums. Not surprised - the Amiga crowd has never been known for its high standards on anything other than graphics and music.

They still pulled the trailer down from Youtube, though. Said they're retooling the game to have more fantastical elements like Slug's aliens/mummies. Which will probably just mean even more swiped ideas.

Seems the "Ikari Warriors" project was shaping up to be a total ripoff of Shock Troopers. It's gonna be something completely different in style now, because NG decided it would be beneath even them to make a straight clone of more than one Neo holy grail game, I guess.
Xyga wrote:
Ed Oscuro wrote:@ Xyga: Aren't NG-DEV Germans themselves? I've found it quite odd myself.
Yeah, so maybe it's because of those laws cave hermit mentioned, or they hate their own people, what do we know !? :mrgreen: :arrow:
Most present-day Germans are inclined to view Nazis as externalized alien entities that they are entirely disconnected from.
system11

Post by system11 »

Pretas wrote:They still pulled the trailer down from Youtube, though. Said they're retooling the game to have more fantastical elements like Slug's aliens/mummies. Which will probably just mean even more swiped ideas.
Oh god really? I might email them to see if I can cancel my pre-order then, I'm utterly bored with aliens and mummies in Slug games. Where was this posted?
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

They didn't specify aliens and mummies, just that the game would be featuring more sci-fi/fantasy elements like those seen in all Slug sequels on Neo. There's no way they've decided exactly what will be used yet.
NG:DEV Team wrote:We are not completely retooling the game. The game is in making for 2 years now (mostly graphics, coding just began a few month ago).
We have changed the jumping physics and will adapt most graphics to look more like expected color wise/reducing comic outlines.

We will also add more crazy stuff like robots/mutants/super natural enemies. More interesting weapons/fights etc. The music gets changed too. The vision of a WW2 game that takes place in Europe 193x will stay mostly intact though. We can't make it suddenly a complete SCIFI/fantasy game.

Regarding the MVS LE sales record that's true. It just means it's selling faster then past games. But as this game cost a lot more to make than last games that's not enough. Thus we need to adapt for future games.

EU forums people see it a lot more positive. Not sure if the style is too EURO or something for you guys? The project is programming/design wise still rather early so we can still incorporate a lot of *constructive* feedback.

We are thinking about creating from now on rather a series of small videos, instead of a big trailer. It's better feedback wise.
Austin

Post by Austin »

I'll start giving a damn when they begin releasing their games on the Dreamcast again.
1KMS

Post by 1KMS »

Looks good for a CT Special Forces clone.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Is the trailer cached somewhere? There was a massive difference in quality i thought. In the first section some of the background parts looked very good, the house for example you saw in the first 10 seconds or so. I also thought the boss-tank with the big cannon looked very good in drawing and animation. Having said that, the jumping (ofcourse) was very sub-par, and also the cow and some other stuff didnt look too good. Too much of a scanned/digital look instead of great pixel look.