What are you currently listening to?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Marc

Re: What are you currently listening to?

Post by Marc »

Lots of Smashing Pumpkins. Oceania is probably the best album since the original line up disbanded, maybe better than anything since Mellon Collie. What a cluster fuck the 'reunion' turned out though.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BIL

Post by BIL »

Gave W.A.S.P.'s Kill Fuck Die a spin, since it was in the discography torrent I just nabbed for old times' sake. Rob Halford's Voyeurs and Danzig's Blackacidevil exhausted my charity back in the mid-90s... I actually like a few songs apiece from those, but their NIN-issue pop industrial had sweet fuck-all to do with their authors' day jobs, so Blackie's later go at getting down w/ the kidz got a pass.

In hindsight I fucked up, and at the time I actually was "the kidz!" The goofy Se7en-esque "snuff rock" concept aside, this isn't too far removed from WASP's usual heavy glam sound. If anything it pares things down to my favourite aspect of theirs, big beefy harmonised choruses about all the bad smack and worse pussy I'm too much of a square to do. Except now he not only fucks and dies, but kills too! Production is affectedly dingier but it's still plenty catchy. The title track is a pretty decent representation of the rest.

This is the JP pressing apparently, which is missing a couple tracks but I'm too busy atm to investigate further! Nippon gets their own back with kaiju-themed "Tokyo's on Fire" which is okay. "Killaface" is an amusingly blatant rip of White Zombie's "Supercharger Heaven," but it also sounds good and rollicking so that is also ok! "U" kind of sucks, getting a little too down w/ the kidz - though it's amusing, if you know Halford and co's 90s legal woes, to hear a rockstar of comparable standing telling his fans to fucking kill themselves. That's how it's done, you litigious time-wasting cunts! Picking on poor sensitive Rob.

Not a patch on stuff like The Headless Children, but that's a pretty high bar in the sleazy, high-polish heavy glam stakes. For all its Manson-esque posturings, it can't hope to compete with the ultimate man vs horse showdown of "Thunderhead." WHITE THUNDERRR! ("Thunderhead, I am your lord and master!" "Yes..." "Will you die for me?!" "YES!" "BUWAAAHAHAHAHAAA!" :shock: )
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Brian Eno - Ambient 1 Music For Airports
Well, it's ambient music indeed. Not much I can say about it.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Been enjoying Bad Religion's album True North a ton, especially after thinking their last two albums were just okay.
In particular, My Head Is Full Of Ghosts is super catchy.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://horaceandystudioone.bandcamp.co ... skylarking
Really good reggae album.

Thelonious Monk - Genius Of Modern Music Vol.1 and 2
8)
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Was listening to the Terracide side of this excellent local 2011 split LP (Terracide starts at track 6). Very few things pump me up to that degree. Highly recommended to any Crossover fans. The Children of Euler side is not quite as good, IIRC, certainly not their best work.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Necronopticous

Post by Necronopticous »

FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Amazing black metal band Cantique Lépreux, what a great album. The mood isn't gothic, it's more ominous than anything. With a good dose of epic "warriors marching" violence, of course! Such a cool artistic direction, so proud that these guys hail from here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApxHXhez_Dc
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://carpenterbrut.bandcamp.com/album/leather-teeth
Carpenter Brut's new work is out. I like it.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

null1024 wrote:Been enjoying Bad Religion's album True North a ton, especially after thinking their last two albums were just okay.
In particular, My Head Is Full Of Ghosts is super catchy.
I liked Dissent of Man the more I listened to it, wasn't really fussed at first and I think it's the cleaner production takes away the immediate impact. Seeing them a couple of times touring it helped as well. Definitely prefer it to New Maps of Hell which has its moments but was a bit overindulged.

True North is a belter though.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://starchildandthenewromantic.band ... m/language
Cool electronic pop album that is heavily influenced by the works Michael Jackson and Prince did in the mid 80's. In a sense, it's a bit like synthpop.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Tatsuro Yamashita - Osaka live 1999/02/11
youtube is turning up all kinds of 80s-90s Japanese rock and jazz musicians I'd have never known of.
I don't know what to classify this link here as, pop-rock-funk-blues? But it's 2 hours of greatness.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Koa Zo wrote:Tatsuro Yamashita - Osaka live 1999/02/11
youtube is turning up all kinds of 80s-90s Japanese rock and jazz musicians I'd have never known of.
I don't know what to classify this link here as, pop-rock-funk-blues? But it's 2 hours of greatness.
Speaking of Japanese jazz: https://bbemusic.bandcamp.com/album/j-j ... -1969-1984
Thanks for the youtube link.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

I keep listening to this Ghost in the Shell remix, hehe: https://soundcloud.com/furopon/ghost-in ... opon-remix
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://glitchblack.bandcamp.com/album/ ... t-behavior
Very exciting darksynth album, full of energy.

https://ogresound.bandcamp.com/album/ballard-data068
New synthwave album from OGRE.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Any Gary Numan fans around here who are able to give me a quick crash course? Stuff I should look up and listen through. While I would love to go through his entire back catalogue (as I did with Bowie a few years ago), I don't really "have the time" for that right now.

I'm going to see him in concert in a week, and I'm only really familiar with his first few classic albums from '79/80, which are amazing. But I know he has been producing quality stuff with decent consistency since then, and whenever he's come out with a new single I've usually checked it out and acknowledged the fact that he's still making great stuff (if someone repetitive in its sound), and immediately forgotten about it.

Any highlights throughout his almost 40 year(!!) long career that I need to check out to prepare myself before going to the concert?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

soprano1 wrote:https://glitchblack.bandcamp.com/album/ ... t-behavior
Wow, this sounds like every industrial album from around 10-15 years ago. I thought it was only a question of time before those two subgenres converged.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://soundcloud.com/eightieslegends/ ... llection-1
80's energetic pop song collection.
Udderdude

Post by Udderdude »

soprano1 wrote:https://glitchblack.bandcamp.com/album/ ... t-behavior
Good shit.
Paruso

Post by Paruso »

I'm just enjoying the beauty of silence. :wink:
ПАРУСО
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://newretrowave.bandcamp.com/album/mad-but-soft
Nice dreampop album. Stay away if you can't stand the colour pink.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODWNnIBa9zk

Wide Eyes - Paradoxica

It's prog metal without any singing, aka the best kind.

And here is one of my favorite metal albums ever, Elements of the Infinite by Allegaeon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3Ei3N6OS7E Their first two albums were good but this is pretty much their magnum opus.
Philabs

Post by Philabs »

Sofi Tukker : Fuck They !

Great electro sound
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Joel Fajerman - L'Aventure Des Plantes
Cool 1979 electronic album. I read it was used as the soundtrack for an 80's French documentary series.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

Valery Gergiev's rendition of Shostakavich's Symphony No 7.
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

soprano1, I really wonder how you can get that many new stuff all the time. If I listen to new stuff too much, I feel the need to go back to old stuff, like a solo returning to the melody. Keep spreading the good stuff, man!

Anyway, I've been into the self titled Circuit Rider
Sort of a dark, psychodelic, experimental. The lyrics also sounds improvised, similar to what
Jim Morrison used to do in the middle of the songs. That is interesting to me, since I do this
as well in the middle of the jams. If you want previews to what to expect, Limousine Ride
or Forever Angels Proud are good places to start.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

wgogh wrote:soprano1, I really wonder how you can get that many new stuff all the time.
If by "get" you mean "listen", it's just because I have the time. I also like sharing good stuff that deserves to be known.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://salahragab.bandcamp.com/album/egyptian-jazz
Album title says it all. Delicious Arabic/Egyptian tunes all over the place.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Motorhead's Overkill end to end, to take the edge off a shitty day. It's Cream on crank! If this stuff doesn't dull the pain, see a doctor cos something's broken!

Though a formidable slab of punk-informed, amphetamine-wired rock n' roll, Overkill has a burden not shared by early trilogy peers Bomber and Ace of Spades: a full 50% of it is in even faster, harder live form on the indispensable No Sleep Til Hammersmith. Cranking Lemmy's bass beyond reasonable levels, the slower tempo on stuff like Stay Clean and No Class gains a guttural drag to counterbalance the Hammersmith jet blast. Even the title track, elevated to outright athleticism in its live incarnation, acquires a rock-steady pulse for an intriguing reprise. I can't listen to this record on anything but big fuckoff bass-cranked speakers nowadays, but ho ho hoooly fuck does it deliver under said circumstances.

Helpfully, the stuff that's not on their 1981 live landmark is uniformly killer. I'll Be Your Sister and Damage Case exude more balls-out catharsis than lesser bands manage in entire careers. "I don't care what you think your game is / I don't care even what your name is!" our protagonist howls at his unimpressed quarry over the stomping racket, already an inimitable cross of tongue-lolling lust and battle-worn imperviousness. Runtime and performances alike are militantly lean, the grinding riffs, ephemeral licks and cooking intensity here and in rocketing climax Limb From Limb epitomising messrs Kilmister, Clarke and Taylor's now-acclaimed nous for blues/punk/proto-thrash alchemy.

All the bass in the world doesn't quite help Capricorn match Phil Taylor's snappier Hammersmith performance of same, but that was arguably his record from end to end anyway, nowhere moreso than on aforementioned subgenre-spawner Overkill. Done it again, can't quite dissociate the studio tracks from their jaggeder live doppelgangers. I run into the same issue with the sporadically brilliant 90s stuff and the less sleek, but equally devastating-in-starts double live Everything Louder Than Everyone Else.
Last edited by BIL on Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Been listening to this Morrow album quite a lot recently. Good crust fused with a bunch of other genres. Also has cello and violin
https://morrowpunx.bandcamp.com/album/fallow
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score