shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:37 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:51 am 

I somewhat feel obliged to remember him and Mark Hollis, by a strange coincidence deceased shortly before the former's demise. Who had both excelled at popular music first, only to most-consistently venture into extremely radio-unfriendly territories. For when I was rapidly developing my sensibilities as a listener, both had delivered super-accomplished come-back records, recognised with an utmost reverence by the media I was exposed to at the time. So biding them farewell is like parting with a piece of my youth, to me. Such is the moment of my life when those who had been present ever since I care to remember, are suddenly no more. Must happen to every generation at some point, and now it's my turn.
Take Ennio Morricone for example - only recently was I told he'd been suffering from something of a mis-recognition complex. When his generation of fellow composers were filling great concert halls, he was most fondly rememberd from scoring exploitation films. One of the movies I suggest watching to anyone with particular interest in film scores would be Canone inverso - Making Love. I don't think the way of working on film music employed here is endorsed by film industry anymore.

Currently I'm listening to four Symphonies by Johannes Brahms recorded by NOSPR A.D. 2008/2009, Jerzy Semkow conducting, released as a box last year, which I eventually purchased. It has to be said, I struggle with them a bit. "Invented peace" term someone's come up with when describing Arvo Pärt's music keeps coming to mind. Other words would be "sedate", or "disciplined". I suppose that director represented generation traumatised by awfully corny manner of interpreting Romantic repertoire typical of times when they were young. Here, it's as if his main goal was to keep orchestra from getting overtly emotional. Or as if he couldn't bear listening to anyone else's production of those Symphonies. All the while, I realise that what I'm actually struggling with may be just some habits formed when listening to "my formative" recordings of 3rd and 1st before these. Could be the case of "love worse than diarrhoea".

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:30 am 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDwVkXVHIqg

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1652 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 52, 53, 54, 55, 56