What are you currently listening to?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Udderdude

Re: What are you currently listening to?

Post by Udderdude »

soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
null1024

Post by null1024 »

The Protomen's first album. Unrest in the House of Light sends chills down my spine.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Kinect? KIN NOT.
BIL

Post by BIL »

FinalBaton wrote:Voivod's very-early concerts tapes show them doing mostly Motorhead and Venom and Priest covers. They're pretty cool of course. I mean come on, how can this not be good. It's fucking Voivod, covering Motorhead...

Here's the upload of their first ever gig : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCUd3BY52-Q&t=16m7s

16:07 Ace Of Spades
33:40 Heart Of Stone
44:58 Stay Clean
1:00:34 Stone Dead Forever

Finally got around to this, invigorating stuff. Image Mud mix struggles with the explosive power and benefits from a little spectral EQ tweaking, as to be expected of a feral boot, but the talent is unmistakable. They already have a way of sacrificing a little finesse for a fuckton of torque. Black Metal rivals my favourite live recording on Eine Kleine Nachtmusik. Insatiable fury of Angel Dust cover makes me want to stick it on Ein Kleine and pretend it's actually Venom. :mrgreen: Leave Me In Hell I typically skip even on Ein Klein, this one's better with the speedier verses and more violent chorus hammer. Ace of Spades illuminates the fine line between amphetamine-wired rock n' roll and flat-out face-shredding thrash. Heart of Stone actually redeems one of Iron Fist's better picks. Holy fuck @ drum solo of death in Chainsaw intro.

Conversely Stay Clean and Welcome to Hell are interesting changeups, almost a vintage rock n' roll beat to 'em. Dunno A II Z at all but Treason is good catchy stuff to take a breather.

I've been putting off trying Motorhead's early 80s allies Tank for a while... if I'm honest, partially because of their shit name ( :lol: ). Might have to give 'em a look based on this.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

null1024 wrote:The Protomen's first album. Unrest in the House of Light sends chills down my spine.
Still very good indeed! :wink:
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

BIL wrote:Finally got around to this, invigorating stuff. Image Mud mix struggles with the explosive power and benefits from a little spectral EQ tweaking, as to be expected of a feral boot, but the talent is unmistakable. They already have a way of sacrificing a little finesse for a fuckton of torque. Black Metal rivals my favourite live recording on Eine Kleine Nachtmusik. Insatiable fury of Angel Dust cover makes me want to stick it on Ein Kleine and pretend it's actually Venom. :mrgreen: Leave Me In Hell I typically skip even on Ein Klein, this one's better with the speedier verses and more violent chorus hammer. Ace of Spades illuminates the fine line between amphetamine-wired rock n' roll and flat-out face-shredding thrash. Heart of Stone actually redeems one of Iron Fist's better picks. Holy fuck @ drum solo of death in Chainsaw intro.

Conversely Stay Clean and Welcome to Hell are interesting changeups, almost a vintage rock n' roll beat to 'em. Dunno A II Z at all but Treason is good catchy stuff to take a breather.

I've been putting off trying Motorhead's early 80s allies Tank for a while... if I'm honest, partially because of their shit name ( :lol: ). Might have to give 'em a look based on this.
nice to see you enjoyed it BIL. I honestly really like the vast majority of the songs here. It really is a good set of oldschool Heavy Metal, song selection and performance is ace. all through Voïvod's filter, razor blade guitars sound and bulldozer drums and savage delivery and all. In fact I think it's a terrific record, even if it's all covers, for the following reason : it is an incredible primer for oldschool heavy metal. In fact if I were to introduce the genre to someone, this would be one of the first recordings I'd recommend to them.

I'm with you on Tank, the song "Struck by Lightning" is insane here, reeally makes me want to check out their output

Regarding that drum part : Michel "Away" Langevin is a damn beast. His stamina is second to none, and his tempos never fluctuate. steady af. guy could play pummeling double bass drum beats(without the help of triggers) all day, without breaking a sweat
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

FinalBaton wrote:In fact I think it's a terrific record, even if it's all covers, for the following reason : it is an incredible primer for oldschool heavy metal. In fact if I were to introduce the genre to someone, this would be one of the first recordings I'd recommend to them.
As more casual fan myself, it's indeed a great snapshot of the genre post-NWOBHM, pre-explosion into the more extreme subsets of the mid/late 80s. I usually go to Venom and Celtic Frost for that epoch, but this one's a tick yet closer. You can hear the faster Priest and Motorhead tunes brought up to Venom/Frost velocity, and the Venom ones about to detonate like nail bombs if they go any quicker. Plenty of catchy NWOBHM charm in the (relatively) slower numbers, too. Their own Condemned to the Gallows makes me think of how Maiden's Hallowed Be Thy Name might've sounded had it appeared on Killers. Or maybe it's just really reminding me of Purgatory with a little added cinema...

With professional production I'd put this alongside No Sleep and Ein Kleine easily, not fucking bad for a first gig. I don't even care tbh, you can carve a hefty rock out of this thing with a bit of EQ fiddling. It's when a record's just neutered entirely (Orgasmatron) that there's a problem. Image
Regarding that drum part : Michel "Away" Langevin is a damn beast. His stamina is second to none, and his tempos never fluctuate. steady af. guy could play pummeling double bass drum beats(without the help of triggers) all day, without breaking a sweat
The Angel Dust / Ace of Spades / Witching Hour trilogy is fucking nuts, "stamina" was definitely the word coming to mind... the latter's double bass part as the solo takes off in particular. And then it's straight into Chainsaw!

Special mention to the singer's frequently almost black screech ad-libs... there are a lot of good ones, but I think my favourite from tonight's repeated listens is the bellowing roar of "LET'S GOOO!" as Black Metal's solo departs and they crash into the final verse. He sounds audibly enraged at the thought of slowing down. :lol:
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

BIL wrote:Special mention to the singer's frequently almost black screech ad-libs... there are a lot of good ones, but I think my favourite from tonight's repeated listens is the bellowing roar of "LET'S GOOO!" as Black Metal's solo departs and they crash into the final verse. He sounds audibly enraged at the thought of slowing down. :lol:
:lol: Yes Snake's proto-black screech is awesome in this gig. including the between-song/spontaneous stuff. :mrgreen:

He's a funny dude. got to briefly chat wih him and Away at a concert they played in my small hometown last summer. Away is the chillest, most down to earth dude ever and really interesting guy(he created the lore of Voïvod and made ALL of the artwork for the band).

Check their extremely lo-fi video for the song Ravenous Medicine for a taste of their dark, unassuming humour :mrgreen:

Morgöth Science Hospital ftw bud!

Also : aids syringe :lol:
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Zen
Banned User

Post by Zen »

Two more weeks of Motorhead

SACRIFICE (1995)
Well, the speed must have been good in 95
Agreed, Order Fade To Black and Sacrifice, are the songs here.
I am compelled to remark on the Male and Female "organs" in the skull's mouth, on the cover. Sex & Death indeed.

OVERNIGHT SENSATION (1996)
BIL has this one nailed with the word "Chrome". Its tight, like SACRIFICE (1995), perhaps a bit more "refined" (this does not work for me).
Nothing clicks for me on this album until the very last song . . . . . .

Listen To Your Heart is, on the surface, perhaps the most unlikely Motorhead song.
It sounds like it always existed as a song. It was just waiting for Lemmy to find it. The thing practically wrote itself, I'd bet.
Motorhead doing the radio-friendly thing, does not work for me but this song, man, this is Rock n' Roll and its very Motorhead. Lemmy was smiling when he got this one nailed-down, guaranteed.

SNAKE BITE LOVE (1998)
Gotta agree with BIL again; Dead And Gone is the standout, by a long mile.
Lemmy likes the Beatles but there are certainly worse things you could want to be, as Ozzy will tell you; https://youtu.be/iecasemNG_A?t=28
The rest of the album is uninspired.

WE ARE MOTORHEAD (2000)
See Me Burning is a slick Iron Fist redux (but not as good)
Stay Out Of Jail is fucking great!
Wake The Dead is one of the very best "Motorhead" Motorhead songs;

"The name, the name's the same" Yes it fucking is, Lemmy, man. Yes it is.

Purposefully finishes off with We Are Motorhead
Best Motorhead album since Ace Of Spades?
(also; like the cover art. Turns out, its one of Petagno's favourites :) )

HAMMERED (2002)
Motorhead does L.A
Some catchy tunes.
Not bad-bad, just not "Motorhead"-good.

Going into the final stretch.

FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Hahaha I just spoke about this Abbath fumbling bit with my buds last week. What the fuck was the guy thinking. he a funny one
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHHvEksC7oc

Light The Torch - The Safety of Disbelief

Howard motherfriggin Jones still kicking ass at 47.
BIL

Post by BIL »

FinalBaton wrote:Check their extremely lo-fi video for the song Ravenous Medicine for a taste of their dark, unassuming humour :mrgreen:

Fucking hell, that's how you do brutal black satire on a budget. :o Poor animals! OTOH it sounds like mankind eventually paid the price! I was waiting in line today and had to bite my cheek until I tasted blood not to crack up at the terrifying AIDS SYRINGE. :lol:

YOU'RE GOIN' TO THE SCIENCE HOSPITAL! :shock: Image Image
Spoiler

Are Away & co into 2000 AD (or Warhammer), by any chance? Some of their stuff screams Dredd. Away is a badass moniker, too... I wish I wasn't so bad at coming up with pen names, I always overshoot and cringe like a motherfucker. :oops: Rainy from Discharge has another punk/metal nom de guerre I always liked.

Rad song, I remember that one from my all too brief forays into their discography post War & Death and RRRoar. Sounds like the prog/thrash ambitions of Rust In Peace minus the troubling decrease in balls Dave & co would shortly exhibit.
Zen wrote:Listen To Your Heart
Lovely song. Makes me think of an older, sterner Lemmy watching young hippy Lem watching Hendrix from side-stage, somewhere circa '69. :mrgreen:
WE ARE MOTORHEAD (2000)

Best Motorhead album since Ace Of Spades?
I'd concur, and although it's closer to metal than AOS's rock n' roll, it's got a similarly keen aerodynamism. While certainly coarse, neither record is particularly heavy; contemporaries Overkill and Sacrifice pack far heftier bludgeons. What they are is relentless, razor-sharp and catchy. More buzzsaw than jackhammer. Image

Again stressing the silly Pistols cover needs to go. I'm glad they got a single and video out of it (and there's an undeniable trivia geek buzz in brusquely punk-friendly Lemmy covering alleged "punk icon" and former long-haired Hawkwind fan John Lydon Image). Just pointless in this cutting-edge context.
(also; like the cover art. Turns out, its one of Petagno's favourites :) )
It's killer, and makes me want to look up Lemmy's thoughts on Tolkien et al. I know he was very into his swashbuckling science fiction (Snaggletooth famously resulted from a request for "a cross between a broken-down old robot and a knight of the realm"), but occasionally there'll be something right out of epic fantasy like WAM's heaving battle scene (Snaggletooth Plus Alpha ready to cleave through a sea of cunts with his trusty war scythe!), and All Gone To Hell off Sacrifice.

AGTH also has ol' Lem predicting our interesting times. Image

You must be much braver, boy, than you ever dreamed
Or your world will be destroyed, by the small and mean
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

FinalBaton wrote:
BIL wrote:Special mention to the singer's frequently almost black screech ad-libs... there are a lot of good ones, but I think my favourite from tonight's repeated listens is the bellowing roar of "LET'S GOOO!" as Black Metal's solo departs and they crash into the final verse. He sounds audibly enraged at the thought of slowing down. :lol:
:lol: Yes Snake's proto-black screech is awesome in this gig. including the between-song/spontaneous stuff. :mrgreen:

He's a funny dude. got to briefly chat wih him and Away at a concert they played in my small hometown last summer. Away is the chillest, most down to earth dude ever and really interesting guy(he created the lore of Voïvod and made ALL of the artwork for the band).

Check their extremely lo-fi video for the song Ravenous Medicine for a taste of their dark, unassuming humour :mrgreen:

Holy shit, I had no idea that song had a video! Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross are two of my all-time favorites, but I didn't know they had any videos other than Kluskap o Kom (Target Earth is also great, making them the last '80s thrash band that's still good! Also killer live!)

I can't wait for their new album. 2018 is killing it for music.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

I just noticed... "War and Death"?!?! Come on BIL, get it right! It's WAR AND PAIN!
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

Autechre - Untilted

one of my favorite albums ever. next-level rhythm
BIL

Post by BIL »

Obscura wrote:I just noticed... "War and Death"?!?! Come on BIL, get it right! It's WAR AND PAIN!
And here I thought it was coasting on the exact number of RRRs that'd be my downfall. :mrgreen:

To make up for it I'll do a thing and get around to the rest of their discography this summer, because they have some shaweet names.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

The number of "R"s wasn't the only thing you got wrong on "Rrröööaaarrr", but at least you got the general idea of that one right! (Also, I can't fault someone for not doing the umlauts in that one, since it's a pain on a keyboard).
BIL

Post by BIL »

I don't even do umlauts for Motorhead tbh, the only reason there's a few in my discog post is because I copy/pasted lyrics from elsewhere. :lol:

I can tell by their observing the rule of threes that they are true artists. A most atrocious pet peeve, when people just do whatever in their onomatopoeia. Also, inverting "?!" into the much shittier "!?" Image
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

BIL wrote:Fucking hell, that's how you do brutal black satire on a budget. :o Poor animals! OTOH it sounds like mankind eventually paid the price! I was waiting in line today and had to bite my cheek until I tasted blood not to crack up at the terrifying AIDS SYRINGE. :lol:

YOU'RE GOIN' TO THE SCIENCE HOSPITAL! :shock: Image Image
Spoiler

Are Away & co into 2000 AD (or Warhammer), by any chance? Some of their stuff screams Dredd. Away is a badass moniker, too... I wish I wasn't so bad at coming up with pen names, I always overshoot and cringe like a motherfucker. :oops: Rainy from Discharge has another punk/metal nom de guerre I always liked.

Rad song, I remember that one from my all too brief forays into their discography post War & Death and RRRoar. Sounds like the prog/thrash ambitions of Rust In Peace minus the troubling decrease in balls Dave & co would shortly exhibit.
I'm saving that gif :lol:

Yeah, the album that song is from, Killing Technology, is a very interesting one : it's the pivot between the early heavy/trash/speed metal, and the later prog sci-fi sound. It's an awesome record, one of my fave from the band.

I couldn't say if Away is into 2000 AD/Warhammer. I don't recall him pinpointing influences for the lore, maybe I'll tumble onto something to that effect at some point
Obscura wrote:Holy shit, I had no idea that song had a video! Killing Technology and Dimension Hatross are two of my all-time favorites, but I didn't know they had any videos other than Kluskap o Kom (Target Earth is also great, making them the last '80s thrash band that's still good! Also killer live!)

I can't wait for their new album. 2018 is killing it for music.
2 amazing records right there Image

And yes, 2018 is incredible so far. I still have yet to pick my jaw from the floor, at Atroce's record your reccomended. And I spin Plaguestorm's EP regularly still
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

FinalBaton wrote:And yes, 2018 is incredible so far. I still have yet to pick my jaw from the floor, at Atroce's record your reccomended. And I spin Plaguestorm's EP regularly still
And also Morgengrau! And the Pious Levus debut! And also Trenchant's first EP! And a solid new album from Marduk! And the first good album from Watain since "Casus Luciferi"! And there's still albums from Condemner, Oath of Cruelty, Imprecation, Voivod, and probably Blaspherian, and hopefully Beholder, also coming this year!
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Woah, and Garroted also has a new EP out! https://garroted1.bandcamp.com/album/of ... al-terrors

I thought these guys were done after their very promising demo and hadn't heard anything about this, but damn, this is a great follow-up!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Backpedalling to the talk on NIN and "industrial rock", I just got to Cubanate in my car CD rotation, and damn, I haven't listened to these guys for a while, but I enjoy being here again.

In my opinion, this is how you mix guitars into industrial music.
Cubanate - Industry
Cubanate - Joy

As I was listening to it, I realised that their vocals and attitude is kinda similar to what you hear in Motorhead. Maybe that's why Motorhead sounds a lot more approachable to me than pretty much any other metal?

They are a bit one-track of course, and honestly get old quite fast. But they remedied that on their final album when they changed lanes and pulled an entire, badass 90s drum'n'bass album.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

you ever get around to checking out Tom Waits, Sumez?
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I promise I will get around to it. Really.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

hey no worries. just curious :)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Sumez wrote:As I was listening to it, I realised that their vocals and attitude is kinda similar to what you hear in Motorhead. Maybe that's why Motorhead sounds a lot more approachable to me than pretty much any other metal?
Nice, sounds a bit like Killing Joke's post-2003 stuff. I think you've mentioned liking them? I'd put stuff like Asteroid in the same ballpark as Motorhead's heavier material, too.

I'd guess it's a rhythm attraction. I'm quite fond of certain Ministry stuff too, for similar reasons (mostly off Psalm 69 - gimme that thorazine, man!), see also White Zombie. Most of the NIN I still like has a distinct strutting pulse (Heresy, The Big Come Down... although BCD more limps and staggers, haha - conversely I don't get as much out of battering Wish and Gave Up as I used to, I'd rather put on something really concussion-inducing like The Misfits' Earth AD). I don't consider any of these three heavy music, to me it's always been toe-tapping pop with a bit of extra kick and sprayed-on grit. Same principle as this little masterpiece (which I'm pretty sure was stolen off Tangerine Dream's Sorcerer OST, but whatever! I do what I want! Image)

Motorhead themselves always kept one foot firmly in vintage rock n' roll bop, even on their heaviest LPs. The Ramones did similarly. The latter famously didn't do solos, but even in Motorhead's significantly more technical sphere I'm usually waiting for the riff to come back in. When they dropped the bop it was typically either for punkic speed metal violence (The Hammer), or sleaze grinders like Limb From Limb (pt1).

tldr: THE HAMMER'S GONNA SMASH YOUR DREAM
Logan Jones

Post by Logan Jones »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHHvEksC7oc

Light The Torch - The Safety of Disbelief

Howard motherfriggin Jones still kicking ass at 47.
Steamflogger, pardon the intrusion, but I sent you a private message a few days ago. Would you please reply? Thanks!
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

mycophobia wrote:you ever get around to checking out Tom Waits, Sumez?
Being the his beatnik jazz phase in the 70's (Small Change, Foreign Affair, Blue Valentine), his more experimental stuff (Rain Dogs, Swordfishtrombones) or the soundtracks for musical plays (Frank's Wild Years, Alice, Black Rider, Blood Money), you can't go wrong. The guy is full of personality and wrote great lyrics too. I first heard him on the rotoscoped short video called Tom Waits For No One, said to be an inspiration for Ralph Bakshi's American Pop. After that, I fell in love with his waltzing matilda with Tom Traubert's Blues.

I have to watch that again some day.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

I had never heard of that short. Will have to check it out. And yeah Tom Traubert's Blues is tremendous. Man can write the hell out of a ballad.