What are you currently listening to?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Square_Air

Re: What are you currently listening too?

Post by Square_Air »

null1024 wrote:Decided to see if I enjoyed The Mars Volta as much as I did back in 2007 or so.
Deloused in the Comatorium is still an ace album, and just about everything else they've done has some severe issues [such as songs going absolutely nowhere for several minutes at a time, almost just because that's "their thing" instead of it making sense for the song].

They can fucking play, their tracks just have focus issues, to the point where you can skip like three and four minutes of a song and not miss much.

Was just listening to the song Meccamputecture, ace song, kind of wished the rest of the album Amputecture got anywhere that good, I even think it's pretty damn well paced overall.
And now I'm listening to Cygnus... Vismund Cygnus, which is pretty ace even though it's way too long for its own good [all of the songs on Francis the Mute kind of are].
I'm gonna preface my criticisms with this: My knowledge of The Mars Volta is a little cursory, and I have only a small amount of experience with them from Amputechture and onward, so take this all with a grain of salt.

First and foremost, these guys are definitely technically skilled, this is pretty obvious. It's their compositional skills that are more debatable. The main thing that kept me away from them for years was the vocals. I found them obnoxious. While i've come to enjoy them more over time I can't help but feel his vocal range is a little limited (I believe the register he frequently sings in is falsetto?). I must admit his talent though, every time I here him shout "LASH OF ONE THOUSAND EYEBROWS CLICKING, COUNTING THE TOLL! COUNTING THE TOLL!" I have to stand up from all the pins and needles in my soul (uhhgg, ts'good man), I just wish he used a bit more variation from track to track (maybe trying a deeper register for once?). I know this is his style, but some of his vocal work can be homogenic to a detriment. This wouldn't be a problem if his vocals weren't often the centerpiece of every song or if they were mixed a little different, there are multiple factors, it's definitely not solely his voice.

It's funny that you guys like Deloused and Amputechture the best, because my favourite is Frances The Mute (I guess this makes us three different wheels on the same tricycle :wink: ). I think all TMV releases suffer from the meandering issue though (not even Drunkship is immune, the coda isn't quite Sonic Youth quality despite their best efforts), even Deloused, it's just meandering at a faster tempo. I also find Frances to be the most cohesive and have no problem with the length of Cygnus (more of a problem with L'Via L'Viaquez and onwards, though cassandra gemini does pretty well despite it's massive length).

While we're on the subject, Relationship Of Command is an album that i've always wanted to like, but i end up being disappointed every time I listen to it (I just listened to it from start to finish to see if I still feel the same). A little bit might have to do with me simply knowing more about Post-Hardcore than Prog and having a little higher standards, but I can't help but feel like that album is half-baked (especially some of the cheesy refrains) even though some of the ideas are pretty genius. Even the band doesn't like that album because the engineer, Andy Wallace, apparently botched the mix. They say it was a much better album before the mix came out the way it did, and from what I know about mixing jobs, it can really change the sound and feel of an album. It makes me wonder if I would have liked the album more if it was as raw as it was originally intended to be. Still though, it's flow and energy really does save the album and I can perfectly understand why it would be someones jam (even though I would usually prefer to throw on something like Fugazi or Jawbox's For Your Own Special Sweetheart).
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
Square_Air

Post by Square_Air »

Some-Mist wrote:new vektor track is super aggressive and awesome. listened to it about 7 or 8 times today and getting stoked for the new album. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4e5Jw9T5Zk
This is pretty bangin', adding Vektor to my list. I've been in a bit of a metal mood lately after re-listening to my favourite metal album of all time "The Mother Of Virtues" by Pyrrhon. It's pretty new, but it really deserves its spot in my eyes. It's a good healthy blend of tech death and doom.
Invisible Injury
Some-Mist wrote:love drive like jehu. I was lucky enough to get to see them live last year and they were tight as hell!
:shock: You lucky guy, and I bet they still rip shit apart like it's 1994. uhhg, the thought of hearing "Here Come The Rome Plows" live makes me salivate.

Listening to Einstürzende Neubauten's (Literally = Collapsing New Buildings) "Zeichnungen des Patienten O. T." (Drawings Of Patient O. T.) a seminal German Industrial album from 1983. Think less of the Ministry and Cop Shoot Cop side of the Industrial scale (visceral rhythms, faster tempos) and more on the Throbbing Gristle side of things (like taking a microphone to a construction site where someone decided to chant and bang their head into sheet metal).
Vanadium-I-Ching
Last edited by Square_Air on Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImage
| 1cc | Twitch |
Strikers1945guy

Post by Strikers1945guy »

And on a COMPLETELY different end of the spectrum

Mister Midnight wrote:btw, cant trust them Koreans; remember Pearl Harbor
DQ187

Post by DQ187 »

This is a mix of songs I made between 5 and 10+ years ago. I'd never put any of it out there and mainly made it for fun but thought I would share. If you like old school mid 90s rap music then you may enjoy it! :) Let me know what you guys think!

https://m.soundcloud.com/user-44573544/ ... side-ridin
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

I've really gotten into the season standard lately. my friends used to be into them during college and I never gave 'em a chance. I was hooked after the first listen. it's like a mix of the mars volta, king crimson (trey gunn even guest stars on one of my favorite tracks), and jaga jazzist. it's too bad that they haven't released anything since 2008 and they only play in germany now..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLAh0423qVc
Strikers1945guy wrote:Image
amazing album with fantastic super players. I love machinations of dementia way more than animation of entomology even though they scored the entire 2nd album to horror movie scenes.

charlie zeleny is so tight (and I'm a huge fanboy because of b...ta) and even though hannes grossmann brings a bigger death metal touch to the already existing alex webster tracking, it's definitely not as interesting. it's very creative and watching the videos enhances the 2nd album, but listening to it on its own... it doesn't really have any substance. nothing even has to be said about ron jarzombek, other than I can't wait for another solo album or more terrestrial exiled.

best songs (imo of course) are amnesia and bleeding in the brain. and then of course adenosine breakdown/buildup.
a creature... half solid half gas
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

New Nephilim single:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0e1WB3 ... e=youtu.be

Seeing them in Berlin this weekend :)
More Bromances = safer people
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Square_Air wrote:
Sumez wrote:The entirety of David Bowie's album discography. I'm giving each album at least one day of repeated listens to grow on me. I'm at Earthling so far.
While I think the quality varies vastly between his albums too much to praise his entire discography, there are a few pretty cool albums scattered throughout. Heroes is probably my favourite of his discography and the Berlin trilogy which had contributions from Brian Eno who's just an all around cool guy for his own work (Before And After Science, Music For Airports, etc...), work with Talking Heads (More Songs About Building And Food, Fear Of Music, Remain In Light), and contributions to the No-Wave Community (No New York was a jumping off point for Jame Chance And The Contortions, DNA, and to a lesser extent Teenage Jesus And The Jerks, and Mars).
I'm completely done right now, and out of 26 records, there are really only 5 of them that I wouldn't consider worth buying unless you're just really into it (and Let's Dance is one of them), so while the quality varies, it very rarely drops. And looking at my current tentative top list, the top 15 is all excellent records that I feel anyone would do well to get.
I'm definitely mostly into "new wave" Bowie as well, the entire Berlin trilogy is amazing, and in fact, "Heroes" is probably my LEAST favourite of them. He did quite well in that period without Eno as well, though, as both Station to Station and Scary Monsters prove.

But generally, superb albums are scattered throughout his entire discography. Space Oddity, Hunky Dory, Outside, Reality and The Next Day are all among my favourites as well. Only the 80s somewhat stink.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Square_Air wrote: Listening to Einstürzende Neubauten's (Literally = Collapsing New Buildings) "Zeichnungen des Patienten O. T." (Drawings Of Patient O. T.) a seminal German Industrial album from 1983. Think less of the Ministry and Cop Shoot Cop side of the Industrial scale (visceral rhythms, faster tempos) and more on the Throbbing Gristle side of things (like taking a microphone to a construction site where someone decided to chant and bang their head into sheet metal).
I find it strange that you would use Ministry and Throbbing Gristle as examples, as I would image Neubauten to by far be the most famous of them. Or at least, anyone who's into either of those two bands would usually be quite familiar with Neubauten :) I'm a huge Neubauten fan and I've never even heard of "Cop Shoot Cop" :P

That said, Zeichnungen des Patienten O. T. is probably one of their more obscure albums, though Armenia is a f***ing masterpiece.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Sumez wrote:That said, Zeichnungen des Patienten O. T. is probably one of their more obscure albums, though Armenia is a f***ing masterpiece.
Armenia caught my attention when I was watching Halber Mensch. Then I thought the music in Heat movie was pretty good and it turned out Armenia was one of the tunes.
Last edited by Obiwanshinobi on Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

Some-Mist wrote:I've really gotten into the season standard lately. my friends used to be into them during college and I never gave 'em a chance. I was hooked after the first listen. it's like a mix of the mars volta, king crimson (trey gunn even guest stars on one of my favorite tracks), and jaga jazzist. it's too bad that they haven't released anything since 2008 and they only play in germany now..
Wow, that sounds interesting! Will have to check it out.
Funny that you mention Jaga Jazzist as i've currently been listening to their latest albums i missed. Oban on Starfire is fucking amazing.
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

Eaglet wrote:
Some-Mist wrote:I've really gotten into the season standard lately. my friends used to be into them during college and I never gave 'em a chance. I was hooked after the first listen. it's like a mix of the mars volta, king crimson (trey gunn even guest stars on one of my favorite tracks), and jaga jazzist. it's too bad that they haven't released anything since 2008 and they only play in germany now..
Wow, that sounds interesting! Will have to check it out.
Funny that you mention Jaga Jazzist as i've currently been listening to their latest albums i missed. Oban on Starfire is fucking amazing.
day & another day are my jams for sure. low battery too. if you ever get to see them live.. definitely do it! I saw their starfire and then their previous tour in chicago which were both incredible. it's really interesting to see first hand the brothers trade off instruments mid-song.

if you do check out season standard, don't stop at makk, check out a couple others like tisa
https://discorporate.bandcamp.com/track ... -trey-gunn
Opus131

Post by Opus131 »

Jonst wrote:Everything and anything jimi Hendrix... You don't appreciate this man's genius until you play guitar yourself then realise every cliche' stands.
The secret to Jimi Hendrix is that he could really improvise, with plenty of swinging and everything. If you listen to Jazz you know what that means. 99% of rock guitar players can't do it (their improvisations are mostly a collage of techniques, they are not really in full control of what they are doing), and i listened to almost all of the so called "greats" of rock, from the likes of Eric Clapton all the way to avant-garde virtuosos like Robert Fripp. The only exception is Frank Zappa.

Here's a few examples of what i mean. Hendrix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAWtuxhdUDE

Zappa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqU_iZH173E

From a Jazz album i'm actually listening currently (just to remain on topic):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q-SEMN ... 26&index=2
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Tatsu delivers again, this time with the guitarist from Bloodfarmers, the drummer from Earthride, and fuckin' Scott Carlson of Repulsion who does a great job on vocals.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

https://midwestcollective.bandcamp.com/album/odyssey

I like the cover art and some of the tracks are okay.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

The spelling error in this thread title drives me nuts.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Raiden V OST.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
dink

Post by dink »

Vitalic - Flash Mob album
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

More adventures in Metal/Prog.

Dream Theater - The Astonishing

I'm not sure if Dream Theater is the best or the worst band in the world. I'm kind of liking this album if for no other reason that it is extremely long. At least you can tell they put some thought into it.

Abbath

I think this album is quite good. It seems like most of the black metal fans don't like the higher quality production. I have no problem with it.

Avantasia - Ghostlights

Pretty cheesy but not unbearable. It does have it's moments here and there. Pretty solid guitar work. Relatively inoffensive. I sorta like it.

Obscura - Akroasis

I really enjoyed this. I think everyone in this band can play extremely well. Pretty cool that you can actually hear the bass player. Gave this quite a few spins. I'll probably give their previous albums a go.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Enforcer. Pretty cool Swedish heavy/speed metal band very influenced by the likes of Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. Some riffs sound too much like the bands they are inspired by, but they still manage to make solid and exciting songs. Their latest album, From Beyond, is one of my favorite records in a long time. If you like this style of metal you should definitely give it a try.
Satan
Banned User

Post by Satan »

Currently in love Bowie's Black Star and Idlewild's REM flavoured These Wooden Ideas with both on repeat.
"A bleeding heart welcomes the sharks."
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote:Obscura - Akroasis

I really enjoyed this. I think everyone in this band can play extremely well. Pretty cool that you can actually hear the bass player. Gave this quite a few spins. I'll probably give their previous albums a go.
not that he drums for obscura any more, but if you haven't checked it out... hannes grossmann's solo cd is pretty rad and sort of obscura-esque
the radial covenant
Opus131

Post by Opus131 »

soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Paul Simon - Graceland
Borrowed it from one of my father's friends, together with Simon and Garfunkel's Best Of. Nice vibes.
options

Re: What are you currently listening to?

Post by options »

got this 'peace edit' of Alice Deejay's 'Better Off Alone' on heavy repeat recently: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY_-IDwRQXI

*floating*
dink

Post by dink »

Opus131 wrote:Moar Grant Green:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UW1FZrpywbk

oooo, nice 8)
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Lots of downtempo recently.

Anyone else?
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
Jonst

Post by Jonst »

Hendrix, chilli peppers, jane's addiction and baroness at the mo.
"Just fire and forget" 1cc List