What are you currently listening to?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
guigui

Re: What are you currently listening to?

Post by guigui »

* Am a girl ? Check
* Have a cristaline voice ? Check
* Can play guitar ? Frankly, no
* Can smile ? Check
* Can move my neck ? Check
* Gotta a nerd friend playing with electronic instruments ? Check.

Who is this ? Sofi Tukker ! Soothing music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZb1bEW3eZI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg3U4ak7IDA (kuddos to the camera guy on this one)
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
drauch

Post by drauch »

vol.2 wrote:My sister, who's 4 years older than me, actually got to go to the Disintegration tour show with her friends at Merriweather Post Pavilion. I was so jealous.
Very cool! I really need to revisit; been way too long! Have fond memories back in 2004 listening to that. Driving around on this old road in the darkness with all of us in silence as we blast that before we drop off our bud to move to a different state the next day. Of course he eventually came back and became an alcoholic piece of trash, but I've still got the nice memory!
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

drauch wrote:
Very cool! I really need to revisit; been way too long! Have fond memories back in 2004 listening to that. Driving around on this old road in the darkness with all of us in silence as we blast that before we drop off our bud to move to a different state the next day. Of course he eventually came back and became an alcoholic piece of trash, but I've still got the nice memory!
Yikes!

I know how music can end up tied to specific memories like that. Especially something like the Cure that's inherently nostalgic; it's like tailor-made for evoking memories. For me, I see my sister dancing around the Christmas tree with our dog and the lights on the tree blinking, and I remember swimming practice and the way the music seemed to synchronize with my strokes (they let us play cassettes on a boombox during practice at the pool).

Suck about you buddy. :/

Regardless, Disintegration is totally worth a revisit. It's complex enough to get more and more interesting with repeated listening.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Disintegration and Fantastic Planet are two albums that my former partner and I bonded over early in our relationship, so I can't help but think of her whenever I hear a piece from them. We each had our own copies, I wonder if I got the right CDs when we split up.

e: it's pretty ironic that those albums, which come from extremely dark places on the part of the musicians, remind me of experiencing love.
e2: the FP album I'm referring to is Failure's 3rd LP since apparently there's been multiple works named after the 70's French animated film
Last edited by OmegaFlareX on Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Fantastic Planet - as told some time ago, she wanted Smith himself to produce her album, but I think Ross Robinson did formidable enough job on the thing. (The opening voice sample came from the Fantastic Planet animated film's English-voiced trailer.) Alas, I've yet to find a CD featuring this extra. Speaking of which, Disintegration CD's all tracks listened to in a row had worn me out lately. All good stuff, just a bit much at once. On the other hand, It's All About by Spooky Tooth CD with all the extras is just what CD format is good for, a lot like Then Play On by Fleetwood Mac (Rhino Records Deluxe Edition, apparently there's also an LP version of it).

Fourth Symphony of Johannes Brahms recorded by NOSPR, Jerzy Semkow*) conducting. From the box I've mixed feelings about still, but "their" Fourth is "my" first Fourth on CD and as such - it works for me. As mentioned before - fabulous production values, if you're into that kind of thing.

*) Apparently labelled "Georg Semkov" in the US back when, whatever.

South of Heaven by Slayer, yeah, I'm pretty simple as that, sometimes. Much work from the guys, hard labour indeedy. Some sweet guitar tunes, very soulful. B.B. King would approve, I believe.

I deal in pain... yay! Exploding, reloading...
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Marc

Post by Marc »

New vinyl pickups:

Quicksand: Tryptich Continuum EP - enjoyed the last album, a *gasp* non-embarrassing reunion, happy if this is more of the same
Boss Keloid: Herb Your Enthusiasm - UK stoner / doom / prog Mastodon-ish metal by an acquaintance of mine. Good stuff.
Criteria: En Guard - Ex-Cursive, still angular but bouncy post-rock with HUGE choruses
Blunt Razors: Early Aught - I buy anything with members of Planes Mistaken For Stars in the line-up
Wovenhand: The Laughing Stalk - see above, but I now adore this band/project in their own right.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
guigui

Post by guigui »

Less soothing music : Spiritbox. Two live titles in the following video : Holly Roller and Rule of Nines.

Oh look ! The drummer is your little brother, and the vocalist is your dream girlfriend :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-tjkwZ32MA
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Mad Grab

Post by Mad Grab »

DJ Qbert - Origins

https://youtu.be/QN_LQAtM-T4
Jonathan_PSX

Post by Jonathan_PSX »

Listening to "Veins - Hospice" right now.
A classic; never gets old.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eA3mQCtdh0E
guigui

Post by guigui »

Let's continue with female metal singer.
I must say this band is starting to get very special for me, most everything is very over the top here.
This video is definitely worth checking out reaction videos too :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQNtGoM3FVU
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

I'm listening to John Surman. English saxophone and synth player who did a bunch of classic new age records in the 80s. It's very much something that would be of interest to people who like Brian Eno's ambient records.

Unfortunately, I can't see this stuff on youtube, so I guess try some music service to hear it or whatever people do on the internet.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Last Cursive album 'Get Fixed'. It's, well.... Cursive. They do their own take on emo/post-whatever, and they do it very well.
Just received notification that my Godzillionaire rowdfunded LP has shipped. Singer is Mark Henessey, of 90;s band Paw - which I'd have expected some of you guys to know from the Road Rash soundtrack.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
BIL

Post by BIL »

We Want Some Pussy (Hollywood, Florida 1990)

State of the art live music. A joyful noise unto the Lord. So good they got arrested for it. Tipper Gore can suck my dick and lick my asshole too. 凸(■`W´■)凸
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Milton Nascimento

Brazilian musician from the late 60s onward. A lot more lyrical and emotional than the Tropicália of Gilberto Gil and Caetano Veloso, Nascimento's music resonates with other sounds of the early 1970s, but retains some of the freeform characteristics gestated in earlier Brazilian pop.

MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Skinny Puppy : Vivisect 6

VX Gas Attack is well done.
I've never lost interest in thick, complex, early Industrial.

Worlock

One of their finest:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDEhCm0pxCo

I don't really like their Last Rights that much but it has Inquisition which is decent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTevddSLTHY
More Bromances = safer people
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Worlock is an amazing piece of music. it's melodic part never fails to crush me emotionally.

love Skinny Puppy
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Thanks to everyone who offered informed opinions on Judas Priest.
It has been a pleasure to aurally travel through their discography at a rather slow pace, with the shmups' notes as a reference.

I am continuing my ramblings in the other thread, if nobody minds (eh!).
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Double-posting from the "death thread":

Franco Battiato (read about him here) left us a few days ago.

He started as a pure avant-garde/experimental musician (let's say a mix of Robert Fripp, Terry Riley, psychedelia, Tangerine Dream, certainly some Bowie aspects, etc.) but slowly moved towards pop, new wave, and (more) mainstream pop by the end of the '70s.

His pieces were usually thick with all kinds of cultural/philosophical references, even when Battiato hit his most commercial period and megastardom phase (late '90s onwards). Most of all, he created whatever he wanted to create, and at some point he became a cultural icon for his uniqueness in a country that is founded on soul-crashing, absolutely crushing conformism.

I suspect that I might agree with Vol. 2, because I adore all of his early very experimental work (e.g., Fetus, Click), but my adult interest in his work nosedives with the pop/new wave turn (until my teens, I also liked this phase).

At some point in life, I should buy again and listen the early gems on vynil, I believe.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
lalilulelo

Post by lalilulelo »

I've been listening to a lot of 80s punk lately. I recently got Living In Darkness by Agent Orange and How Could Hell Be Any Worse? by Bad Religion. I've also just recently started a small collection of SACDs - the most recent one I got was Trompe Le Monde by Pixies. I have this pretty cool Denon DVD/SACD player that'll play all sorts of formats, including HDCD and DVD-Audio.
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

Well it's taken me about 15 years or so but I think Coil has finally clicked with me. I was listening to their Stolen and Contaminated Songs record (outtakes from their 1991 album, Love's Secret Domain) while working from home and I unexpectedly hit the flow state. big time. Something changed and now many of the tracks that previously annoyed me now make sense all of the sudden. It's weird.

Also been listening to a lot of their early stuff that got taken down from Spotify (thank goodness for archive.org).
https://archive.org/details/CoilHorseRo ... 01Remaster

Who knew a song titled 'The Anal Staircase' would make for good productivity?
scrilla4rella

Post by scrilla4rella »

lalilulelo wrote:I have this pretty cool Denon DVD/SACD player that'll play all sorts of formats, including HDCD and DVD-Audio.
What kind of speakers/amp are you running this through?
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Lukhash - We Are Stardust

Dude out does himself with every release.
My lord, I have come for you.
lalilulelo

Post by lalilulelo »

scrilla4rella wrote: What kind of speakers/amp are you running this through?
It's a stereo amp, Marantz PM5004. The speakers are PSB Alpha B1 bookshelf speakers (I have them wall-mounted), and a Polk Audio subwoofer. I also have a Cambridge Audio DAC that I use for my TV, my current PC, and my Sony Vaio which I customized for Windows 98 gaming. This setup has a Sony 4K Blu-ray player too, and lots of other stuff.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Time for a shameless double post:

Tool and Dream Theater: any comments?

I know that I like the first band because I bought their first album when it came out. I lost track of their artistic career by the early 2000's, though.
Second band, not sure what to think, but the bits I heard were sometimes nice, sometimes frustrating.

Thanks in advance!
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

One of my best friends loves Dream Theater. I never got into them, but I understand why.

Don't listen to much rock/metal/industrial anymore, but Tool's first two albums were pretty good.
My lord, I have come for you.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Both are proggy bands? Tool is prog-grunge, DT is prog-metal. Just my best guess, I'm not all that familiar with the prog label.

I don't remember much about DT other than I had a friend who was really into them, bought one of their CDs based on his recommendation but it wasn't my thing. Tool is slightly more up my alley but the wonky time signatures and tempo changes make for a challenging listen. Although I encountered similar aspects listening to Lush, so I think I could possibly be A Tool Fan™ if I gave them some more eartime.
system11

Post by system11 »

I found this recently, might appeal to some people here who like Tool, prog metal and that kind of thing. The subject matter is pretty rough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxIq6TY ... heReticent

Also Gary Numan released his new album, it's free on Youtube etc but I was part of the funding effort and ordered the deluxe CD.

https://garynuman.lnk.to/IntruderID
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org