What are you currently listening to?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
vol.2

Re: What are you currently listening to?

Post by vol.2 »

wanted to make it clear that I think it's rad.

listened again a bit. Walk Like and Egyptian is fascinating. i checked out the second outing, and it's a lot cleaner, but Betty Davis Eyes and Fame are worth it

was also surprised to find this is a guy from nova scotia

it's hard to believe that all of these tracks are just the alvin and the chipmunks slowed down to 16. which album was Walk Like and Egyptian from? i don't even remember that as a chipmunk tune and it was one of my favorite songs as a kid.

---Jessie's Girl---

"He's got himself a squirrel and I want to make her mine."
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

BIL wrote:Holy fuck. :cool: Cheese-pop marinated in acid, deadly-effective.
Kinda reminds me of Vaporwave a bit. Same concept, really.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Well, just when I was thinking Marilyn Manson had put out his first decent-sounding album in many years and I might have to pick it up....
Brian Warner - he's not the Antichrist Superstar, he's a very naughty boy.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

I read about that the other day. Shameful. I'm honestly not that surprised? Cake And Sodomy is a cool song, though.
Marc

Post by Marc »

OmegaFlareX wrote:I read about that the other day. Shameful. I'm honestly not that surprised? Cake And Sodomy is a cool song, though.
He was an intelligent and articulate guy in the early days. I remember reading his Bio around the time of Antichrist Superstar and thinking that either A) it was made up, or B) it would come back to bite him in the ass. I honestly thought a lot of it was a calculated thing, but seems he's bought into his own shtick over the years. Book mentions Reznor heavily, I expected him to speak out before he got dragged into it.

Ah well, fuck the guy, plenty more music out there.
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I just listened to Burning Down the House, after never once thinking about it for over 22 years. Kind of sounds like a large, dying squirrel.

These days I keep getting trapped by Arknight's CC Blade's menu music and just sit there listening to both cycles of the song instead of working on the daily map. One of the integrated thematic factions the game uses is edgy 13 year old white boi music, so it's dangerous to tamper with.
system11

Post by system11 »

Boom - new The Pretty Reckless album released today, plus all the tracks are on Youtube, here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFy96AgT_kY

I'm a fan, Taylor has one of the best voices in rock atm. Edit: this album is really fantastic.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Joke track, but fun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vsYBmPndHE

More seriously I'm obsessed with one-note Sax solos after hearing The Five Satins: The Jones Girl (Alt). I won't link it here because I am probably already pushing the limits of good taste with my previous link
BIL

Post by BIL »

Been playing this on repeat lately - short sweet Peel session with The Sundays. Great performance, great sound quality too. I can never gauge how well-known they are even in the UK, let alone outside it - jangle dreampop, Smiths x Cranberries mellowed out heavily on both counts, kinda. Harriet Wheeler is a national treasure, such a darling whimsical voice. Image Image
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

their song "Here's Where the Story Ends" played a lot at a restaurant i worked at and I quite enjoyed it but never would have heard of them besides (live in the US). really good vocals yeah
BIL

Post by BIL »

Interesting! :o I lived in England for nearly all the 2000s - while I'm only a casual music fan, I don't recall encountering them in the usual tv/radio/print. I found them far later, on here actually - someone had "Just give me an easy life and a peaceful death" from "Goodbye" in their sig, long ago. :cool: Bit padded out in the middle, but horeh shiet, what a gorgeous bittersweet vocal, as they do.

I vow / That it's goodbye Image

Could listen to Dave Gavurin's guitar all day, in fact yesterday, I suspect I did!
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

The Sundays got pushed on the College radio stations and then later the "alternative rock/modern rock" stations from about 1989-1993. You would hear them on the same station that was playing Camper Van Beethoven and PJ Harvey. I had only one friend who actually owned a Sundays CD, and it was that BBC sessions with the nautilus shells on the cover. I never really paid a ton of attention, but then he was friend who got me into Morrisey in high school, so go figure.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Haha, could totally see these guys enjoying space in a Morrisey/Smiths fan's collection. I always want to put on "The Boy With The Thorn In His Side" and "I Know It's Over" at minimum, after.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

BIL wrote:Been playing this on repeat lately - short sweet Peel session with The Sundays. Great performance, great sound quality too. I can never gauge how well-known they are even in the UK, let alone outside it
I read an article about The Sundays in a Polish rock music magazine's issue from the year 1993, but it was pretty badly written, giving me fuck all idea about their actual music, in a time and age where/when I could NOT easily just check it out online. Still, there was a photo of the band in there.
As for the Peel session your'e posting, sounds quite American to me, Emmylou Harris way. "Small" voice, but that's all the better for a range of pieces. Or, in other words, sounds like nothing British known to me before.
Or, maybe, there's a hint of Elizabeth Fraser to it. This is just not the way one SHOULD sing. You're doing it wrong way, lass. It's really beautiful.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BIL wrote: and "I Know It's Over" at minimum

I know it's over, but it never really began, but in my heart it was so real and you even spoke to me and said.

haha

Johnny Marr, the master of never wasting a single note.
BIL

Post by BIL »

If you're so very... "Entertaining"
Why are you on your own, tonight?
Image What a beautiful record that is.
Obiwanshinobi wrote:I read an article about The Sundays in a Polish rock music magazine's issue from the year 1993, but it was pretty badly written, giving me fuck all idea about their actual music, in a time and age where/when I could NOT easily just check it out online.
Image As curmudgeonly as I can get towards New Stuff / The Way Things Are Nowadays... my wonder at The Interwebs letting me browse music I had to theorise about BITD (assuming anyone even told me about it!) will never depart.
As for the Peel session your'e posting, sounds quite American to me, Emmylou Harris way. "Small" voice, but that's all the better for a range of pieces. Or, in other words, sounds like nothing British known to me before.
Or, maybe, there's a hint of Elizabeth Fraser to it. This is just not the way one SHOULD sing. You're doing it wrong way, lass. It's really beautiful.
Interesting - Wheeler's voice on the first two records sounds to me like the archetypal southern English college girl, a composite of Estuary English and squeak. :mrgreen: OTOH, I definitely hear Emmylou Harris, now you mention her. I remember reading once, offhand, that singing and speaking involve very different regions of the brain - I suppose explaining why certain vocalists sound so little like their personas, away from the mic. Roger Daltrey and Ian Gillan come to mind. I'd no idea they were English, as a tiny kid skipping around my dad's CD ressiues of Who's Next and In Rock.

Reminds me that while I'm unfailingly read as American in the UK, in the parts of the US I frequent (Florida, Illionois), people will enquire about my accent, too (useful conversation piece). I always thought the local accent where I'm from in the West Indies had a distinct southern US aspect... watching Smokey And The Bandit, again very young, I was delighted to notice Jerry Reed sounded exactly like my grandpa. (minus the occasional gravelly "raaaaaass")

Fascinating field, linguistics. In another life it's not a profession I'd turn down.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Picked up a ton of stuff lately, some of it I already own but am replacing CD's with vinyl:

Bluetip - Join Us
Fireside - Oumini D'Onore
Ben Howard - I Forget Where We Were
Hawk & Doves - Year Zero (test pressing #1)
Deftones - Around the Fur
Therapy? - Troublegum (Music on Vinyl reissue to go with the original LP)
Glassjaw - Colouring Book EP
Seven Storey Mountain - At The Poles

It's been some while since I listened to Around the Fur properly - album absolutely rips. Same for Troublegum.
Really liking the Ben Howard record for when I'm in a quieter mood.
BIL

Post by BIL »

New Order / "Temptation," live in Glasgow Suddenly had the urge to hear this again. Band's in great form, but it's the audience I always recall, bellowing along to every verse and hook. One of the most uplifting live records I know of. Image
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BIL wrote:New Order / "Temptation," live in Glasgow

Cool. That's a great version. 8)

Wonder where Gillian Gilbert is, don't see her there on stage? (edit: I stupidly didn't check the date. Of course she wasn't touring with them then)

Def a New Order fan. I got into them before I heard Joy Division; found a copy of "Movement" in a thrift store when I was very young and didn't know what the hell it was, but I knew it was magic and that I loved it. I think "Dreams Never End" is one of the best songs in existence.
BIL

Post by BIL »

My promise could be your fiend... Image

Movement really caught me off-guard! I'd gotten into Technique, Low Life, and Power, Corruption And Lies, roughly in that order. I'd assumed Movement would be about as divorced from JD, given "Blue Monday." Turned out to be all but the third Joy Division LP. I couldn't believe it when "Dreams Never End" kicked in, thought it was something they'd recorded before poor Ian Curtis checked out.

(the rather limp "We All Stand" from PC&L is the one bad song I'll name from the aforementioned four LPs, so I really wasn't expecting them to nail JD's icily authoritative post-punk so squarely)

It's one of my favourite things they've ever done, though I mentally file it with JD. "Truth," "The Him" and "Doubts Even Here" all have that blizzardly Martin Hannett atmosphere from "I Remember Nothing" and "Decades" - an austere garage band painting vast, troubled scenes. You can hear some of the later NO funk in Barney's guitar on "Senses" and "ICB," but it's kept well in check by the classic, sullen angle-grinding roar. Killer album... Peter Hook was playing the whole thing in concert with his band, a few years back - I was out of the UK and couldn't attend, but I loved knowing they'd do that.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BIL wrote: Movement really caught me off-guard! I'd gotten into Technique, Low Life, and Power, Corruption And Lies, roughly in that order. I'd assumed Movement would be about as divorced from JD, given "Blue Monday." Turned out to be all but the third Joy Division LP. I couldn't believe it when "Dreams Never End" kicked in, thought it was something they'd recorded before poor Ian Curtis checked out.
It was the first thing I ever heard by them, and I'd never heard Joy Division. I was probably 11 when I found that record in the second hand bins, and if it had been Joy Division, I can guarantee you I wouldn't have liked it.

My older sister already had stuff like the Cure and Smiths and Siouxsie and the Banshees, but I didn't crack into that until later. She was ahead of the curve in that respect (actually went and saw The Cure on the "Disintegration" tour (what I wouldn't give).

So Movement was an anomaly for me, stuck in with my Run DMC and AC/DC records, but beckoning towards the future. When I finally got into brit rock and post punk was about two years later in HS and I finally got PC&L (in the same thrift shop no less) and then Technique (because it was new and on the radio). Then I got all the Joy Division and didn't get anymore NO until way later. My best bud had a copy of Republic, and the song "Regret" was one of those defining songs of the Alt Rock/Modern Rock canon of the early 90's though the rest of the album was a bit spotty.

When I got into JD, I also had really got into Yakuza manga, mainly "Sanctuary" by Sho Fumimura (but also Crying Freeman). JD was my personal soundtrack to Yakuza manga in the mid 90s. It might sound odd, but it fit really well to me, both things having a real brutal and alien feel to them.

In retrospect, though, I can totally see what you mean. "Movement" clearly carries over from JD in a way that none of the other NO albums even approach. They bent quite hard into dance territory shortly after that, and there was not turning back. However, there was enough fundamentally different in it that I found it appealing at the time.

(the rather limp "We All Stand" from PC&L is the one bad song I'll name from the aforementioned four LPs, so I really wasn't expecting them to nail JD's icily authoritative post-punk so squarely)
Fair point, but "Your Silent Face" is also on that album, and there is no better song the whole world to do the robot dance to. Granted, it's nothing like JD, but it's just so good I can't let it pass without mention.
Killer album...

Not a single bad note on it as far as I can tell.
Last edited by vol.2 on Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Incidentally, I had an early association of JD with Japanese media too, via MGS2: Substance (technically, the first was seeing "JOY DIVISION.MP3" in my Napstered Snatcher OST rip, though I didn't know them from the Velvet Underground at the time). It was a couple years after my uncle had introduced me to the usual post-punk suspects (he was massively into The Fall, a group/guy I've put off investigating forever), but it made me sit up and pay attention to the intersect of Western music and JP pop culture.

That intersect being pretty much the lifeblood of my hobbies - JP metal like Anthem, JP games like Ikari, JP anime directly influenced by Alien/Blade Runner... Also the love letters to Western horror fiction of KCET's Silent Hill quartet. A lot of classic stuff came from that pop-cultural interaction. Image

And at the end of the 2000s, Cloudophobia naming all its stages after JD songs. [She's Lost Control / In A Lonely Place / Disorder / Isolation / Ceremony] Good game, good music named after same. :mrgreen: Quite unlike its enshroudingly funereal namesake, "In A Lonely Place" sounds for all the world like a quality Technique B-side.

Now that you mention it, I definitely hear "Atmosphere" in "Your Silent Face." :o The latter is sublime, in my PC+L top three along with "Age of Consent" and "Leave Me Alone."

You've caught me at a bad time
So why don't you piss off?
Image I looove that delivery, Barney sounds so authentically fed up. :lol:

Great song. I always miss resemblances to "Atmosphere" as tbh, I don't like it very much (Of JD's more filmic songs, "The Eternal," "Decades" and "Ceremony" I'll put on repeat for hours on end, albeit the NO alternate ver of the last)

What a beauty. Guitar like a distant buzzsaw going through zinc. Image Makes me think of being in Manchester one winter visiting family. I always associate JD/early NO with the cold, it may be just subconscious parroting of music mags (one particularly scenic review of "Love Will Tear Us Apart" likening it to "galloping tundra"), but it works for me Image
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BIL wrote:MGS2: Substance (technically, the first was seeing "JOY DIVISION.MP3" in my Napstered Snatcher OST rip, though I didn't know them from the Velvet Underground at the time).
There are so many cool easter eggs in MGS games. So much style; gotta love it.
he was massively into The Fall, a group/guy I've put off investigating forever
They are worth checking out. One thing I will say against The Fall is that Mark E Smith's song writing is kind of same-y. They alternate between driving/maniacal and buoyant/sneery, there is some occasional synth work and they are good at interesting rhythm changes. But I've never thought that there is enough variety there to justify the ungodly amount of output there is.

If you want to get into The Fall at any level of interest, do yourself a favor and cherry pick a couple records to represent them and then go from there if you just can't get enough. My person rec's would be "The Wonderful and Frightening World of The Fall" for sheer accessibility, and "Grotesque (After the Gramme)" for absolute classic awesomeness. Keep in mind that neither album is anywhere near what most people would call accessible, but this is as close as I think they ever got. There are at least two or three genuinely catchy tunes on both albums, and the remainder will properly give you nightmares. Have fun. :twisted:

One last note on The Fall. I actually got to meet the guy once. In New Jersey, in 2005 I guess it must have been. They were playing at a club in Hoboken called "Maxwell's" that I don't think exists anymore. My friend was playing in a band that was opening up for them at the time, just for that show. I roadied them to the show from Brooklyn, where we lived at the time. Their band was called "The Broke Revue." It was a band from London that had transplanted to NY in the late 90's when I moved there. The lead guitar player was this guy named Dan Melchior, who had been a side guitar man to Billy Childish on some albums and for a good part of the mid 90's live. I barely knew that guy though, my friend was another guy in the band (and still is a close friend). Anyway, I got to hang out for a bit and Mark was there, but he was pretty stand-offish and wouldn't let anyone else in the band room (even the other bands). Very different from other roadie experiences I've had where the talent was generally friendly to the help and the people setting stuff up.
That intersect being pretty much the lifeblood of my hobbies - JP metal like Anthem, JP games like Ikari, JP anime directly influenced by Alien/Blade Runner... Also the love letters to Western horror fiction of KCET's Silent Hill quartet. A lot of classic stuff came from that pop-cultural interaction.
Yeah, I was definitely always drawn to the East meets West stuff like nothing else. I guess, for me, I also really dug the Kung Fu flicks and the imagined cross-overs like Big Trouble in Little China and Buckaroo Bonsai.

I remember Gundam Zaku model that my mom bought for me at Kmart in the mid 80's. No one over here had ever heard of Gundam before because it hadn't been translated yet, and I probably thought it was Robotech (the US name for the Macross saga). That thing was so super cool, and I had a amazing time trying to imagine what it was. I had no context, so it was impossibly interesting to me. But I guess Robotech was where it all started for me. I thought the Veritech fighters were just so damn cool. I was a UN Spacey pilot in my dreams; that was literally the coolest future profession I could think of as a kid.

And I certainly was super into those Sci-Fi anime and manga. Battle Angel Alita was one of my favorites, and that whole manga is basically a love letter to Blade Runner. I also absolutely loved Ghost in the Shell, but that was probably more about the artwork and the quality of the story (the second movie is awful, but I like everything else for the most part, even the new reboot's not too bad).

I couldn't get much Japanese music back in the day tbh. I had a Loudness album and a couple of City Pop albums that I found in the Tower Records import section, but no one knew jack about that stuff back then, so you couldn't get it. The most I ever got in those days was tape compilations put together by fans at anime conventions in the 90s. I used to love the music video rooms at those back in the day. People would edit together footage from their favorite anime and set them to music. They had to stop doing it like 20 years ago when copywrite stuff started to get more of an issue in those situations. It became seen as live performance rather than satire or whatever. It wasn't until I moved to Tokyo that I really got much more exposure to all that. And of course youtube.
"Ceremony" I'll put on repeat for hours on end, albeit the NO alternate ver of the last)
Thanks for that. I don't think I've ever listened to that particular version. Cheers.

I always associate JD/early NO with the cold, it may be just subconscious parroting of music mags (one particularly scenic review of "Love Will Tear Us Apart" likening it to "galloping tundra"), but it works for me
Joy Division is perpetually performing in the snow. When I listen to their music, they exist in the poster I had of them on my wall. It's the only image I know well. I bought the poster at Smash Records in Georgetown (I grew up in DC) and it's the only one of the like I've ever seen. They only had one copy of it and it was all dirty and stained and wrinkled at the back of their poster racks. I bought it without hesitation:

BIL

Post by BIL »

vol.2 wrote:They are worth checking out. One thing I will say against The Fall is that Mark E Smith's song writing is kind of same-y. They alternate between driving/maniacal and buoyant/sneery, there is some occasional synth work and they are good at interesting rhythm changes. But I've never thought that there is enough variety there to justify the ungodly amount of output there is.
That was what gave me some pause, the classic deer/headlights effect of an iconic decades-long career. :mrgreen: Something the internet tends to blunt, or even enhance, with it being so easy to discuss this stuff / look up discogs, now.
If you want to get into The Fall at any level of interest, do yourself a favor and cherry pick a couple records to represent them and then go from there if you just can't get enough. My person rec's would be "The Wonderful and Frightening World of The Fall" for sheer accessibility, and "Grotesque (After the Gramme)" for absolute classic awesomeness. Keep in mind that neither album is anywhere near what most people would call accessible, but this is as close as I think they ever got. There are at least two or three genuinely catchy tunes on both albums, and the remainder will properly give you nightmares. Have fun. :twisted:
Grotesque (After the Gramme) is so fuckin rad Image Thanks for the suggestion! Toe-tappingly bleak, neurotic, early Thatcher-era misery - exactly how I like my primordial post-punk. Image "The Container Drivers" shambles forth like a gangling zombie of trucker Americana. "Impression of J. Temperance" is genuinely filmic - like spoken Cronenberg over a murder-faced martial beat, guitars stabbing and synths ululating as the grotesque unfolds. Altogether, like a twisted reflection of austere Movement. One of the LP's more conventionally appealing tracks, imo. Super solid evil vibe with a macabre climax.

"TNWRA" is enviably catchy - that nine minutes flew by, as did the the following nine when I looped it. "Blob 59," what's audible of it, made me want to fire up Greg Oblivian's "Bad Man" off the Wild Zero soundtrack. Cute. Image
Anyway, I got to hang out for a bit and Mark was there, but he was pretty stand-offish and wouldn't let anyone else in the band room (even the other bands). Very different from other roadie experiences I've had where the talent was generally friendly to the help and the people setting stuff up.
Sounds about right - my uncle was a year behind him in high school, said he was a "right weird cunt" and a "boffin" back then too. :lol:
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Everybody should listen to The Cure's live album Paris. If not for the very music (you may not even like it very much for all I care), then for the audience's... presence (for the lack of a better word). Because that's the best part of the best gigs out there. Took me decades to appreciate just how huge part of a good concert audience makes for. I'm sure all performers know that, but from a teenage concertgoer's point of view, that may not be instantly obvious.
Plus, Paris has got this "official bootleg" quality I've been endorsing since the earliest times of my listening to albums as such.
Oh yes, VERY good sound production, at least on CD (apparently vinyl requires a tad different master, so I can't be sure how it fares there, also, it's nearly one hour long an album, hence I'm afraid cutting an LP this long comes at a price). Still, should be just fine to play on your average home sound equipment.
Last edited by Obiwanshinobi on Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

BIL

Post by BIL »

^^^ exactly the right word! Audible crowd presence - felt as much as outright heard - is part of what elevates good live albums to great ones. Not just outright noise, but the sense of space occupied by interacting forces. No Sleep Til Hammersmith's "Overkill" has outright cockups at a few points - mostly in the second verse - but it's still the definitive recording of that one, on the band and audience's combined furies alone. :cool: You can almost sense the crowd willing the song back to bludgeoning life after each climax.

The intro of "Bound to Break" from Live Anthem gives me goddamn goosebumps - the crowd knew this was their last show, in the metal doldrums of the early/mid 90s, and they collectively blow the roof off the place.

Would cite Live At Leeds but I'd end up posting the entire thing, haha. Controlled athleticism, polite crowd, like a tennis match. Image

Needless to say, for the love of God and all that is holy, canned crowd noise/"live in studio" doesn't count. I've got a bit of a tin ear for sound production, and even I damn near retched at GNR Lies' faux cheering/stage banter. That stuff will revert a very good live performance into a blah one, or worse.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Yes that's a good live album. the french crowd really goes off on that 17 Seconds track ''Play For Today'' with the 'ohhh, Oh Ohhh, OHH Ohhh, Ohh Ohhhh'. pretty fun and energetic

french crowd loves the tune ''Charlotte Sometimes'' too. a b-side that gets tons of attention over there. regional differences like that are always fun to pick out.

but it's not surprising that 17 Seconds and Faith were so popular in France, when you realize how many Cold Wave bands there was over there (Trisomie 21, Kas Product, and a milion buttfuckin others. probably the biggest Cold Wave scene per capita in the world)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
drauch

Post by drauch »

FinalBaton wrote:but it's not surprising that 17 Seconds and Faith were so popular in France, when you realize how many Cold Wave bands there was over there (Trisomie 21, Kas Product, and a milion buttfuckin others. probably the biggest Cold Wave scene per capita in the world)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3ZVZVMIG7g

I watch this a ton and wish I was there maaaan. A fun little time capsule.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

I went through a Cure phase in HS that was so extreme (short stint of Robert Smith hairdo) that I actually kind of burned myself out on a lot of their material.

After all that, and returning to listen to their music many years later, I found that I now appreciate Head on the Door and Disintegration just as much (if not more) as I ever did. My favorite though, is and always will be Three Imaginary Boys.
drauch wrote: I watch this a ton and wish I was there maaaan. A fun little time capsule.
My sister, who's 4 years older than me, actually got to go to the Disintegration tour show with her friends at Merriweather Post Pavilion. I was so jealous.