What are you currently listening to?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
mycophobia

Re: What are you currently listening to?

Post by mycophobia »

i think geogaddi is way better than mhtrtc
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

noted!
imho, neither one is dramatically better than the other, but i prefer MHTRTC
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

I went to see Kraftwerk over the weekend. Absolutely fantastic. Basically played the hits, but many of the tunes had been significantly reworked and sounded incredible. It's humbling to see four older musicians actually playing synths live and improvising in the 2022 world of laptop performances.
Spoiler
Here's a link to the end of of Musique Non-Stop
BIL

Post by BIL »

New Order - Subculture (Remix)

Fans tend to be sharply divided between the diametrically opposing album (Low Life) and remix cuts. Being from the latter camp, I warmed up to the willfully spare former, eventually - Barney's is a deceptively inimitable voice it's hard not to ("You've caught me at a bad time / So why don't you piss off?" :cool:). The remix OTOH is a joyful trumpet blast of more is more. Blistering, technical, stomping, yet it keeps the melancholy front and center, with those gorgeous backing vocals lilting over the calculatedly slamming discord.

One of these days you'll go back to your home ♫

These guys were on fire for a good decade, there. Fiendishly hard to escape a NO singles revisit, let alone albums.
vol.2 wrote:I went to see Kraftwerk over the weekend.
Nice! :shock:
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Fukk yeah. New Order and Pet Shop Boys are playing near me in Sept and I'm going with a few buddies, super looking forward to it!

I have also had them on pretty heavy rotation the past few months, especially Substance because I fukken love the dance remix stuff, but also been listening to Brotherhood a lot because it's one I didn't absorb as much when I was younger.

Yesterday I went to visit my pops and we played some guitars together and sang. One of my favorites we always did was Steve Goodman's City of New Orleans. Goodman was an amazing songwriter that never got the time to shine in the sun because he had leukemia and he knew it even before he started his career as a musician. I think you can hear that in his performances; it's as though he's putting all his soul into every song like there's no tomorrow.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Wordburglar's first release in three years, everyday since it came out like two weeks ago.

https://propsdept.bandcamp.com/album/burgonomic-2

Another dope MC who flies under the radar.
My lord, I have come for you.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Unwound are reuniting to play shows across the US. Post-hardcore / 90's rock fans get on it!
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Vexorg

Post by Vexorg »

Went to a Goo Goo Dolls concert this weekend with my wife. They put on a pretty good live show and Johnny Rzeznik was pretty funny in between songs, but they seem to be one of those "Wait, they're still around?" bands.
We want you, save our planet!
Xbox Live: Vexorg | The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Hum put out a new album in 2020 and it's insanely good. Their previous one was 1998. Failure has done 3 LPs since their '96 magnum opus (Fantastic Planet).

Around 2015-ish or so, a bunch of the OG British shoegaze acts reunited and went on tour. Lush, Slowdive, and MBV released new albums. I think that has died out a bit now, but that was quite a time.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wouldn't be surprised if <90's band you like> is still around in some way. In my first example, I think Hum might be unfortunately kaput now due to their drummer passing away last year.
Marc

Post by Marc »

Birthday vinyl:
Truly - Fast Stories from Kid Coma
Pearl Jam - No Code
Glassjaw - Worship & Tribute
Awooga - Conduit
Cave In - Heavy Pendulum
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Sally Oldfield (sister of Tubular Bell's Mike Oldfield)

Late 70s/early 80's prog disco. Reminds me of a poppier, more dance-inflected Kate Bush. I love it.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Went to a Strokes/Red Hot Chili Peppers double header last night.

Was so awesome. Very fun and high energy.

Eddie Vedder made a surpise appearance and helped sing Juicebox.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

To Far Away Times wrote:
Eddie Vedder made a surpise appearance and helped sing Juicebox.
Forgot about that guy. I guess he's still alive.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Marc wrote:Birthday vinyl:
Truly - Fast Stories from Kid Coma
Pearl Jam - No Code
Glassjaw - Worship & Tribute
Awooga - Conduit
Cave In - Heavy Pendulum
Woah new Cave In! I am so out of the loop with this stuff. I honestly thought they were going to pack it in (again) after Caleb died - polishing up demos and releasing them under the title "Final Transmission" felt like a band signing off.
Immryr

Post by Immryr »

currently, right at this moment, i'm blasting par avion by xeno and oaklander. managed to get this on vinyl for £9(including shipping) off discogs recently, absolute bargain!

https://xenoandoaklander.bandcamp.com/album/par-avion-2

But I've also been listening to some of the live sets they've got on youtube, which are absolutely incredible. They're playing in my city in October this year, or at least i hope they are. Last time they were supposed to play here it was cancelled for some reason. I think it was pre-covid, but my ability to judge the passing of time is not what it once was. Anyway, I'm really fucking looking forward to it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-7BHMhaNDE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V536Qo9Sin0

Just incredible analogue synth music
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Gancher and Ruin - https://youtu.be/erSNxuFi2ps

This stuff just goes so hard

Zardonic - https://youtu.be/LuseoJ3z-n0 https://youtu.be/rmgZjm-S9dc

Drum and Bass + metal. Works surprisingly well I think
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

I'm addicted to the Choon record label right now.

A Visual Brain: 1986​-​1993, by Toshioki Matsumura

Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

I can recommend listening to this Podemos Cambiar el Mundo song concluding Mi Voz album, sung by Elif Sanchez, who is a Turk singing mostly in Spanish (on this album at least, methinks). Javier Limon person who produced the album appears to share much autorship of performed material. No worries, it lasts for under three minutes.
Heard it on Polish Radio 2 yesterday and now I'm after a CD of it. This is the kind of thing that sticks with me for good.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Marc

Post by Marc »

More vinyl pickups:

Porcupine Tree: Closer/Continuation
Pearl Jam: No Code
Fireside: Hello Kids
Stone Temple Pilots: Tiny Music (Super Deluxe)
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Moss of Aura today released a new album on bandcamp. I can't recommend highly enough. He is hands-down the best thing to come out of the 2000s warehouse music scene in Baltimore, even better than Beach House.

I haven't had enough time to process this new one yet, but my current favorite is Still Parade. If you need something on in the background to make you feel good, or your just having a hard time after taking some psychedelics, do yourself a favor and put one of Gerrit's albums on.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

I saw New Order play last night. It was great. They brought out all the vintage synth equipment and played their hearts out. I can honestly say that I liked most of their live versions better than the album versions. Blue Monday maybe wasn't better, but it was still fantastic.

Pet Shop Boys was the second act, but I didn't really vibe with it and left early. They played Suburbia first, and that was my reach song for them, so I left satisfied. I guess it would have been nice to hear West End Girls, but I'm betting that was either the closer or an encore, and I really just don't like PSB all that much. They are okay, I like some of their songs, but their performances weren't particularly lively like New Order was and it felt flat.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Beautiful shot, Barney's aged into his elder statesman role well. :mrgreen: The closest I've seen to live JD/NO is Peter Hook and his band The Light, who cater to their Northern fans really well (as you'd expect, with the band's working class Mancunian roots). They played "Movement" and "Power, Corruption and Lies" in full one night in Preston some years back, blew the fuckin roof off the modest-but-packed venue. Was a bit surreal, having just discovered the former album a few weeks before.

I wish they'd get along again, but maybe it's better to think of it as Barney/Steve and Hooky doing their own things. Image

I think what distinguishes NO, especially their early and later stuff, from Petshop and Erasure and other English synthpop acts, is that punk foundation; the anchoring guitar/bass/drums that never really went away, even at their poppiest. Even on quasi-hymnal stuff like "Your Silent Face," there's always those gorgeous interplays of ethereal synths with coarser guitar and bass textures. TBH, I probably file New Order nearer to The Cure, mentally, another outfit with supreme nous for marrying elaborate synths to refreshingly immediate punk-informed rock.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BIL wrote:Even on quasi-hymnal stuff like "Your Silent Face," there's always those gorgeous interplays of ethereal synths with coarser guitar and bass textures.
OMG I went into the show saying to myself, "I'm going to explode if they play Your Silent Face," and they fukken played it and I exploded. Mind blown. I actually did the Robot (it's the best song in the whole world to do the Robot to).

TBH, I probably file New Order nearer to The Cure, mentally, another outfit with supreme nous for marrying elaborate synths to refreshingly immediate punk-informed rock.
Absolutely. Or Bauhaus. NO is disco, but it's post-punk disco. The Cure is pop post-punk that flirted with dance music (Love Cats eg). And Bauhaus is dance rock post-punk. There are countless others like Wire (progressive post punk, or art rock post punk), too many to mention.

PSB is not that, it's synth pop, thru and thru, that particular rebranding of disco that happened at a particular time. And they aren't even my favorite flavor of it, for me that would be Depeche Mode.
Air Master Burst

Post by Air Master Burst »

This subgenre talk is way over my head, so here's the best fucking album you've never heard that was impossible to find a full download of for YEARS. It's like synth pop punk I guess, I'm not entirely sure what highly specific subgenre it belongs to. I know he has some ties to Bikini Kill, if that helps? Either way, AT LEAST three of the songs on here are going to be stuck in your head for decades.

I routinely skip at least 6-7 tracks and it's still a top 5 all time for me.

ETA: I've always wanted to replace the combat songs in DMC3 with tracks from this album, because it's A CRAZY PARTY!
King's Field IV is the best Souls game.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Air Master Burst wrote:This subgenre talk is way over my head, so here's the best fucking album you've never heard that was impossible to find a full download of for YEARS. It's like synth pop punk I guess, I'm not entirely sure what highly specific subgenre it belongs to. I know he has some ties to Bikini Kill, if that helps? Either way, AT LEAST three of the songs on here are going to be stuck in your head for decades.

I routinely skip at least 6-7 tracks and it's still a top 5 all time for me.

ETA: I've always wanted to replace the combat songs in DMC3 with tracks from this album, because it's A CRAZY PARTY!
lol. It's fun. It's lo-fi pop rebranded for the 2000s. If you like that, check out R. Stevie Moore (1980s)

or Shoes (not THE Shoes, just "Shoes")(late 70s, early 80s)
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Despite being a huge Fugazi fan, there are two albums I have yet to listen to, and they are two of their less acclaimed - End Hits and Instrument.

Bought and have been listening to End Hits over the past week. It's a bit of a slow burner, but it is growing on me. The stops and oddities feel kinda forced in places. It is definitely not their best work, but there are some highlights.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Air Master Burst

When I was 13 I got jumped for smoking weed outside of a Fugazi show by some adult "straight edge" punks who were out there to sneak cigarettes. Like, I came out here to show respect for your confusing cultish lifestyle, and you still got beef?

I don't trust that straight edge shit, never have never will. Minor Threat and Earth Crisis and all that shit can lick my taint too. MDC might be a bunch of vegans but at least they never tried to shame me for smoking weed and fucking. Also they fucking rule.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Air Master Burst wrote:When I was 13 I got jumped for smoking weed outside of a Fugazi show by some adult "straight edge" punks who were out there to sneak cigarettes. Like, I came out here to show respect for your confusing cultish lifestyle, and you still got beef?

I don't trust that straight edge shit, never have never will. Minor Threat and Earth Crisis and all that shit can lick my taint too. MDC might be a bunch of vegans but at least they never tried to shame me for smoking weed and fucking. Also they fucking rule.
Wow. That sucks that happened to you, but not all of that stuff condones violence against drug users. Minor Threat certainly doesn't; it was Ian's brother Alec that spearheaded the "we'll beat you up for smoking pot" movement with his band, Faith. And that stuff really faded away in DC (where I grew up) in the mid 90s. It was a common sight to see Ian drinking a beer at a show once Fugazi started. And it honestly did help a lot of people who didn't want to drink or do drugs to have a reason not to feel pressured. I think that's one of the reasons I started going to shows so young, because I had the option to be sober and still feel included.

But anyway, I think it's a shame that you feel like you need to entirely dismiss the straight edge movement's artistic output because of your traumatic experience. I mean, I get that, it's a shitty thing, and I can understand how that might easily turn you off.
Air Master Burst

I mean the only reason I went to a Fugazi show in the first place is cuz I liked their music. I'm not dismissing their artistic output, I just think they should lick my fucking taint for having a shitty message.

ETA: I also listen to Pantera sometimes because their music is good, but those shitbirds can also lick my fucking taint for all that confederate shit.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

So I don't have a super wide range of stuff I listen too, but the grunge era has always stuck with me.

Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, and Stone Temple Pilots all probably make a Top 10 list for me.

Soundgarden in particular really resonates with me. I don't think people realize just how weird, yet melodic, their music is. Black Hole Sun is everything a popular song should not be. WTF weird ass scales are they using in the intro? WTF time signature is happening? Weirdest fucking timing and flow with the guitar solo, but somehow it all works and is super melodic and catchy. They break the rules and get rewarded for it in the best ways. But it's the weird timing and scales that make that song unique. No one has ever written these songs before, which is why I think they stuck around so well.