What are you currently listening to?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
BIL

Re: What are you currently listening to?

Post by BIL »

Ace of Spades' Vic Maile was an interesting chap, indeed. :smile: Some good insights from Fast Eddie here. Sad that he and Philthy eventually had a falling out... surely Iron Fist would've benefited from his presence. Sounds like friction was inevitable, though. At least they got Spades and No Sleep out of the partnership.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7aH4be6aEg

Krelez live stream of chip stuff.
My lord, I have come for you.
BIL

Post by BIL »

null1024 wrote:I keep forgetting Out In The Cold was on Turbo, since the album isn't in my music library and I instead have a live version of the song on its own.
Love the song, but damn, the album version sounds a bit to me. :lol:
This is how I'm used to hearing it.
That's the version I'm most familiar with, too - I think it's the opening track on Priest... Live! Definitely outdoes the rather thin studio track - the acoustics really add to the atmosphere. Incidentally, that album's very nice The Sentinel was my definitive version for a while, before I borrowed my uncle's vinyl Priest discog and taped the fuck outta 'em. :mrgreen:

Revisited their previous live record Unleashed in the East (1979) this evening. Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin and Stained Class were my favourites of their pre-Vengeance albums as a kid, but it was Unleashed I really wore out. An electric snapshot of their scintillating, prog-tinged 70s metal at the melting point that forged 1980's cutting-edge British Steel and the supercharged engines of Vengeance, Defenders and Painkiller, my triple crown of their catalogue.

This one gets stick for being "Unleashed in the Studio," allegedly benefiting from extensive overdubbing... but honestly, when a record sounds this good, IDGAF (see also Thin Lizzy's Live And Dangerous). All respect to the true, unvarnished documents like The Who's Live At Leeds, and of course the quintessential No Sleep Til Hammersmith (listen for Eddie's handful of errors in "Overkill"'s verses, obliterated to dust like plywood in a car shredder) - but there's another role for live records: to put a revivifying shoe up the ass of studio favourites, Black Label-style (Nine Inch Nails' detonating, brooding And All That Could Have Been exemplifies this).

Whatever its provenance, Unleashed is ripping intensity throughout, tearing into a setlist favouring their fastest, hardest stuff up to the late-70s crisis point. Everything's packed on lean muscle and raw power, showcasing Priest's decades-bridging potency. Even the slightly camp, disco-inflected tunes ("Starbreaker" and Joan Baez cover "Diamonds And Rust") barely let off the pedal, Diamonds gaining a jagged, icy gallop to go with Rob's immaculate balladeering.

Standout is possibly the hammering yet subtly dynamic "Victim of Changes." Wherever they captured Rob's closing, titular scream of anguish, it's absolutely cloud-rending.

VIC
TIM
OF
CHAN
GES

>THE GREEN MANALISHI (WITH THE TWO-PRONGED CROWN)
>SINNER
>VICTIM OF CHANGES
>GENOCIDE
>TYRANT
>DELIVERING THE GOODS
>HELL-BENT FOR LEATHER

Sin after sin, I have endured
Yet the wounds I bear
Are the wounds of love ♫

HIT THAT VILLAGE PEOPLE POSE, HARUFORDO-SAN (■`W´■)
Last edited by BIL on Thu May 21, 2020 8:07 am, edited 6 times in total.
CIT

Post by CIT »

Boy Harsher - Careful

They sprung out of the whole online synthwave thing, but quickly found their own unique style now play gigs in Berghain. It's dark and cold and harsh (obviously), but a very danceable dark and cold and harsh. Either that or it just makes you wanna fuck. Everything sounds vaguely recognizably 90s, except you can't think of anything that sounds exactly like it. Great stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gePkM8RDN4Q
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Diamond Head

Phil Manzanera's take on a solo album in mid 70's London pop-prog. It's more or less what you would expect, every other member of Roxy Music shows up including Eno and lots of other random people who were walking in and out of the studio that day, interspersed with instrumental numbers that lean heavy on Manzanera's guitar prowess.

Worth it for the Eno sung tune on side one alone, but generally great.

The follow-up, K-scope is also pretty interesting, as it features New Zealanders Tim and Neil Finn, who were better remembered for Split Enz and Crowded House.

edit: "90's" change to "70's" oops.
Last edited by vol.2 on Sat May 23, 2020 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Damn, great album cover. :o

Yo I gotta repent, British Steel's "United" isn't nearly as offensive as I'd recalled. Catchily lad-back, and it's nice to hear Rob sing clean at mid-range occasionally. Take On All The World remains shit until further notice ( :lol: ).

All about RAPID FIRE, METAL GODS, GRINDER, THE RAGE and STEELER though. God knows how long it's been since I gave Sin After Sin a proper revisit, I could've sworn "The Rage" was on there rather than British Steel. The savagely intense, madly spiralling, catchily bouncing DISSIDENT AGGRESSOR definitely is, though! (they're in close proximity on Metal Works, so I associate them despite the three-year gap).

STAB
BRAWL
PUNCH
CRAWL
Hooks to my brain are well in

Glenn Tipton is a demon songwriter.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

I still think United is solidly, solidly mediocre. I just don't like the melody at all, and the lyrics are hyper corny. :lol:
I love Take On The World. It's also pure stadium chant schlock, but damn, I feel great after listening to it. Killing Machine is just a really fun album all around.

I will definitely say that Rob sings a good bit better in United though. Better performance, worse song.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Sin after Sin is amazing

solidly mediocre sounds about right for United. song plays and I'm like ._.

I get no emotion at all, certainly no erection! full flacid cawk

But Harufordo-sama's voice is very nice in it, yeah gotta agree. like null however, I don't like the melody in it at all
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
rapoon

Post by rapoon »

vol.2 wrote:Diamond Head

Manzanera & Eno
I gotta check this out now. and yea, that is a kick ass album cover.

regarding these two wizards, i've been listening to john cales island year(s) almost exclusively the last two weeks.

Manzanera on guitar
Eno on synth

Manzanera on guitar
Eno on synth

Eno on synth
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

rapoon wrote:
I gotta check this out now. and yea, that is a kick ass album cover.
It's good. It's not as essential as solo Eno or Cale, but it's definitely worth a listen. If your're into this stuff, there's tons of it otherwise. Make sure you find the Eno collaborations "No Pussyfooting" and "Cluster and Eno."
regarding these two wizards, i've been listening to john cales island year(s) almost exclusively the last two weeks.
Oh man. I love Cale's solo work, but that is a very, very specific head trip. You must be an exceptional state of mind at the moment.
I'm frankly surprised to see anyone mention Cale solo because most people don't even recognize it for what it is. Cale often comes across on a first listen as a marginal version of contemporary pop music (from the 70's) and I don't think many people ever go farther than that. Those that do go farther quickly realize how demented it is; it took a lot of drugs to make those albums.

If want to complete your descent into the abyss, I would recommend Cale's "Music For a New Society." (assuming you haven't heard it before)
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

BIL wrote:Damn, great album cover. :o
Small bit o trivia: The band Diamond Head named themselves after this album
Yo I gotta repent, British Steel's "United" isn't nearly as offensive as I'd recalled. Catchily lad-back, and it's nice to hear Rob sing clean at mid-range occasionally. Take On All The World remains shit until further notice ( :lol: ).
I honestly never had a specific issue with United. It's certainly a bit silly, but I never felt like it stood out more than a lot of other Priest songs and it certainly fit the mold of it's day. It's a first-class arena-rock song, designed to blow out a football stadium with aplomb. Compare that to what Queen was doing or AC/DC at the time, you will find other silliness. It really don't f@king matter when you sloshed at a stadium with you buddies rockin out.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Oh no, I get the arena clap-along thing. See also Defenders' toddling off to the tour bus with a mug of Horlicks, savaged in detail a page or so back. :wink: In British Steel's case, it doesn't help that "Metal Gods" and "Living After Midnight" already more than fill that quota.

As maligned as Turbo's combination of the fruity and the generic is, "Out in the Cold" is better arena-tailored cheese than any of their preceding "Lighters in the air, PLS" holding patterns.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

The ultimate Castlevania tune template : Yngwie Malmsteen's Far Beyond The Sun (1984). of course classical came before but I feel like this adds an extra energy layer that gets the formula down pat!

Encompasses both pre-SotN AND post-SotN modes!

And also a YUGE influence on FALCOM RAWK, of course
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Although it's not as widely acknowledged as the impact of Western 80s cinema (Blade Runner, Aliens, Predator, et al), I associate HEAVY FUCKIN METAL just as closely with the aesthetic of golden age JP action gaming. Aggressive, hooky, and straight to the point, frequently revolving around science fiction and/or fantasy themes - perfect match for STGs and R2RKMFs.

Konami's arcade stuff, in particular, stands out as absolutely steeped in the precision furies of Vengeance/Defenders Priest. OG "Alien vs Predator" Super Contra's arcade OST is metal as fuck, Crime Fighters is battering, WEC Le Mans has a full-on vocal arrange of HIGHWAY KILLER worthy of early Scorpions...

...and Chequered Flag's impassioned OST explodes the doors off untold hundreds of lesser soundtracks. Seriously, this stuff is remarkable.

>GRAND STROKE
>NIGHT LINE

T's Music and their shredding Winds of Thunder & Sapphire redbook OSTs need little introduction, much the same going for Thunder Force III, IV and V (DEEP PURPLE / IRON MAIDEN / SOLDIER WITHOUT FAITH)

Thunder Force IV's opening nod to Malmsteen's "Soldier Without Faith" is my go-to crossover example (ta again Cecil!), but "Japanese Judas Priest" Anthem (a favourite of the late Sad Wings/Painkiller producer and writing contributor Chris Tsangarides) offer further good examples. They recorded the first (IIRC) VG tie-in single, for Falcom's Xanadu, founder Naoto Shibata produced five killer ASTs for Konami, two of them Castlevania (with mainstay guitarist Akio Shimizu playing on the first)...

And Ninja Gaiden (AC) ripped them off right along Sabbath! Their song remaining stubbornly in place on modern reissues, long after "Iron Man's" removal. "Shadow Soldier," more like BOUND 2 BREAK MIRITE

Image Image Image

MSX Gradius 2 knows what the fuck is up,

Image Image Image

As does, much less surprisingly, Holy Diver. Image Yes, "TRILOGY" is a Yngwie reference! No, it's not a badass three-headed dragon, it's some tiger/gopher thing! Comes in threes, geddit?! Image

Obviously electronic music was a huge influence too, and shares metal's knack for immediate intensity. I like to think of beasts like Konami's above AC stuff as a fusion of cutting-edge technology and vintage metal fire - electricity, of course, being the lifeblood of metal to begin with. Image Sega's Super Locomotive brilliantly shoplifts Yellow Magic Orchestra's "Rydeen" note for note - ta trap! - and any Zuntata fan would do well to investigate their collective discog.

Obligatory mention to the metal as fuck BASTARD!! manga which, besides having countless metallic touches, contributed at least one bangin' VG OST via ANKOKU NO HAKAISHIN for SFC (composed by the excellently-monikered NAKED TRUMP - those ones are the absolute worst!)
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

MSX gradius 2 boss names are over the top! didn't know about those. that's amazing stuff

Looking at your link : upper right one D.R.I. 8) crossover metal kings. respect
also Exodus, Sodom, Ozzy, Lizzy,Plasmatics, Onslaught! Wow!

And 3rd down on the left translates to fucking VOIVOD are you fucking KIDDING ME??!!!!??! :shock: *dick explodes*
perfect and hyper-tasteful name for a cyberspace machinery driven by alien forces! unreal! these japs know what's up!

I know Anthem but didn't know they recorded legit VGM stuff! pretty cool

guess we need to mention Megaman OSTs which are straight up Maiden songs written on the Ricoh 2A03
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Totally forgot to credit Jonny2x4 for the MSX Gradius 2 link! And in all this time, I somehow never clicked on the other sections for MSX Gradius/Gradius 3/Salamander!

Image Image

Image Image

Image Is that... the AIDS syringe? :shock: Image

Besides all the band/album/song/musician references, covering pretty much the entire spectrum of rock/metal from the early 70s to the late 80s, I love how they include concert venues (Holy Diver's "HAMMER SMITH"), record labels (HD's "MEGA FORCE") and even friggin management firms (Salamander's "Q-PRIME"). These guys were hardcore liner notes readers, gotta recognise. :lol:
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

BIL wrote:Image Image
Get outta here...

and yes I really want it to be the infamous AIDS syringe :lol:

Gizza Buttla! flaming death hawk! that warms my heart for some reason. Gizza kinda sounds like Ghydra so for a flying monster that lends itself especially well
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Mandatory Breaking the Law cover. War Pigs by Faith No More as well, delightfully involved.
I expect to feel like playing some Life of Agony records pretty soon. Did not really give'em much listening to when they were "my age kids' kind of" band, but their front-then-man's singing has been resurfacing from depths of my memory as a rock singing masterclass. I think my problem with their albums was the (post-)production; never liked the sound of your typical rock album of nineteen-nineties' first half. A couple of Ross Robinson-produced albums, starting with Sepultura's Roots, felt like such a breath of fresh air (YES, KoЯn ones included, I said it). So, when one of my favourite records in recent years turned out to be produced by him, I felt pretty smug about that feeling of mine from back when.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

^^^^^^^^
Funny priest cover! And great Sabbath one, hypertight drums and everything, sounds so clean. And of course I'm kinda obssessed about Mike Patton's voice/voice control, it is truly a mesmerizing thing.

--------------------------------------------------

Ohhh, just remembered : since we're talking covers, I wanted to (shamefully) share about one I just realized exists.

Despite knowing Bauhaus for 20 years now and owning a couple albums since then as a 17 y.o., I just recently at 36 realized that they made a spectacular cover of Bowie's ''Ziggy Stardust''. I gotta say, this is one of if not my favourite cover songs of all time now. So fitting as it's obviously a huge influence and you can feel the love and joy and exuberrance they poured into it. Great energy to it.

Goths! Assemble in that underground pass! and mosh! while Peter Murphy be singin' while trapped in a cage(of his own will)!!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

^ Reminds me that I finally got around to Christian Death's Only Theater Of Pain (only took like 1.5yrs :mrgreen:) last Christmas, and spent a week wishing I'd used Another Moving Target as my forum handle. Image
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Nice BIL 8) I'm always pushing for that record to be heard, glad you enjoyed it
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Came away thinking it was like The Cure had quit pussying around and gone full Antichrist. :lol: And those Joy Division-esque dispassionately snarling guitars, morosely relentless drums and chilly production, sounding a lot closer to Ian, Hooky, Barney and Morris than Smith & co's relatively poppy take. I was surprised when I saw they were from California! I've always associated that spartan post-punky sound with bleaker climes. I'm a bit of a noob though!
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

California has always had burgeonning scenes in the darkest, grimmiest sounds/aesthetics, isn't that funny? Which always baffled me a bit as well! but they certainly earned respect in those circles. From punk to extreme metal, and Goth is certainly no exception! thriving Goth scene over there. I guess shallow plastic life makes one want to revolt even more! if anything. great weather be damned, I am fuckin' ANGURY :x .
Besides, Goth is hard injected with glam so in a way it kinda makes sense I guess

(I have to say tho : in black metal i find myself digging a lot less US bands per capita, versus Europe and even my hood The Great White North, which fares exceptionally well in the genre (especially so my province of Québec). And that's before even flippin' the record jacket to see where the hell these nazguls I'm currently hearing reside. It seems that genre is the exception and generally benefits from miserable weather :lol: )

While Peter Murphy is epitome of classic old world swagger and hip to the highest of levels, Rozz Williams is the penultimate 2 cool /sleazy L.A. frontman, oozing charisma but in a completely different manner. the classic UK vs USA dichotomy. And awesome complement to one another.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

"I see the end, I see the end."
Covers-wise, Gimme Shelter by The Sisters of Mercy (sweetest guitar tune, isn't it?) and Rosegarden Funeral of Sores (Bauhaus version) heard and crawled out of the crypt.

P.S. Reading about Ross Robinson's productions now, I see more albums I haven't realised were produced by him, but I do recall finding them remarkable back in the day: All Is Not Well by Manhole and Cold by Cold. I also see both Sepultura and Korn made new albums with him some long years after their previous collaborations (when I was hardly following the news of rock music anymore, too busy downloading music galore, rolling in the stuff I had not have free access to before).
The way out is cut off

rapoon

Post by rapoon »

vol.2 wrote:Cale often comes across on a first listen as a marginal version of contemporary pop music (from the 70's) and I don't think many people ever go farther than that. Those that do go farther quickly realize how demented it is; it took a lot of drugs to make those albums.
I heard "Paris 1919" years ago and was dismissive, writing it off as "proto-indie" and not giving it much thought aside from a few select tracks.
Recently, I was reading reviews and interviews with two of my favorite musicians Dan Bejar (Destroyer, The New Pornographers) and Spencer Krug (Wolf Parade, Sunset Rubdown) and Cale was mentioned
several times (and the influence is evident with the former), so hear I am re(discovering) his solo material. Couldn't be happier; "Fear" is one of the most fantastic albums I've heard in years.

vol.2 wrote:If want to complete your descent into the abyss, I would recommend Cale's "Music For a New Society." (assuming you haven't heard it before)
"Cale described his mood while making Music for a New Society as "grotesque."[1] In an interview with Melody Maker shortly after the album's release, Cale was quoted as saying "That album was agony. It was like method acting. Madness. Excruciating. I just let myself go. It became a kind of therapy, a personal exorcism."

With a description like that, I gotta check it out.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

This live, extended length version of Genocide by Judas Priest is absolutely, absurdly massive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOxnqNjDBIU
I think Halford sounds a bit... off here [this is the end of the set, so that's fair, although some of it is just his weird cadence, because he's still hitting everything pretty well], but god damn, this is an otherwise face-melting performance. Insane guitar work here and some hard-ass drumming. Totally just knocks the socks off.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Although I thoroughly enjoy certain Opeth records, Mikael Akerfeldt can eat MANY hot loads for calling "Genocide" the weak link of Sad Wings of Destiny. :evil: What a fuckin cocky jam. SAVE MEH! MAH PEOPLE HAVE DIED! (yeah, I know, the lyrics are kinda fucked... funkiest atrocity exhibition ever :lol:)

Speaking of - that's a great channel, subbed as all hell! :o This troubled world needs as much live footage of Disco Rob as it can get. Image
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Pandemonium by Domain that, once upon a time, together with Epitaph of Christ by Christ Agony, gave me about the first (?) taste of Black Metal in my life. Instant peculiarity of it may be the pretty "light", for this kind of music, sound production values, BUT as you keep up with it, the thing stays with you for the lifetime. If you really, REALLY wonder about lyrics, I can help, I guess, just ask.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l3dnGwAtQ0

(I do listen to it from a most proper CD print, booklet and all.) Their next album did precious little for me and I haven't followed them ever since.
The way out is cut off

null1024

Post by null1024 »

Was on Youtube, got recommended a skate video and as the first song came on, I was like, "wait, isn't that the guy from Dead Kennedys? What's this song?"

Turns out that he had a band called Lard, and now I'm listening to the EP the song is from.
The first two songs are good fun to listen to and are punk as all hell, but the long 30+ minute one kinda just... goes on for 30 minutes.
dunno if it's just this being a shitty youtube video, but the mixing is also maybe a bit needlessly dense, even if I bet they were going for that "face melting wall of sound" sort of thing
BIL wrote: Speaking of - that's a great channel, subbed as all hell! :o This troubled world needs as much live footage of Disco Rob as it can get. Image
Pre-leather JP looks hilarious. Still kills it.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Been browsing that channel most of the weekend :cool: Tape hiss be damned, this "Beyond The Realms Of Death" is immense, perfect illustration of why Halford/Tipton/Downing became a trio of legend.

Between these Japan boots and Unleashed In The East, I'd forgotten what a pleasure Les Binks is to hear - sublimely easy grooves and fills throughout even the most furious passages. Never thought anything much of Dave Holland, whereas even a filthy casual like me can tell Scott Travis's blistering athleticism is 50% of why Painkiller murders faces off from start to finish.

(I always feel a bit of a dick never mentioning Ian Hill, with him being the only member of Priest to appear in literally everything they've ever done over half a century, but I've a slight tin ear for any but the most singular Steve Harris/Lemmy Kilmister/Peter Hook bassists - the man recruited Halford to the band back in the 70s, an achievement of a lifetime in itself)