What are you currently listening to?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
FinalBaton

Re: What are you currently listening to?

Post by FinalBaton »

''OUHHHH!!''

That's some good stuff. Very well produced thrash record. punchy recording with juicy yet hyper-mid-scooped guitar sound, which is what you wanna do to have a good sounding thrash record that still has edge.

BIL wrote: I know right? Crazy how much talent this guy is associated with!
Yup! speaking of him, last week I saw an interview of him explaining his firing from Ozzy. Ouch! That's fucking br00tal. They keep him around in the wing for a couple months as backup, but as soon as they did their interview with Jake E. Lee, they fired George on the spot, like he was nothing. And I mean IN FRONT of Jake E. Lee, at the end of his audition with George standing there. Fucking classless management I say!

*shakes fist at sky*
SHAAAAAAARONNNNNNNN!!!!!

you succubus, I will slay you, you piece of shit! (`ω´メ) and feed your intestines to your children (`ω´メ)
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

BIL wrote:(Franko remains the only "violent game" to make me flinch, makes me think of SOR's Skate and the inevitable skull-cracking result of attempting to fight on rollerblades Image)
We all know it's just about the perfectest game around, don't we? Not that it's terribly on topic. Neither must everybody out there egree with, either.

P.S. Just heard the entire Mëkanïk Dëstruktïẁ Kömmandöh by Magma. At least as good as its title!
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Immryr

Post by Immryr »

this legowelt set from the recent ifm streaming festival:

https://youtu.be/UrMMMmsiHOQ

it's incredible.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Listening to the recent Sorcerer Album. Slightly faster-paced Doom-Metal than the usual. It's not bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mEhSWAiz5M
More Bromances = safer people
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Would anyone be willing to offer a guide to Judas Priest and Opeth's discographies?

On JP, I grew up listening their early works through my paternal uncle. I am wondering if their incredible longevity also saw a decline in quality of their output.

On OP, I do have some albums (Blackwater Park, the last one, the one with Ghost of Perdition), but I am wondering if I should explore further. Åkerfeldt (or whatever it is spelt) seems a very talented fellow but his works give me a feeling of a fragmentary approach to composition (or: "I record whatever passes my mind on the day").

Very long posts are appreciated (*looks in BIL's general direction with a casual expression*).

Also:

FB, out of curiosity: do you listen to FM-synth at any special part of the day? For me, it works very well when I read stuff (very) late at night. I somehow developed the impression that as genre/style/whatever-you-want-to-call-it, it is suits the late hours' mood best.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
null1024

Post by null1024 »

Priest from Sad Wings of Destiny up to and including Painkiller is pretty solidly gold. I got into Priest after hearing Sad Wings of Destiny straight through, and just kept going on the train.

Their first album, Rocka Rolla is a little bit naff... but from the looks of it, that's entirely because of the shitty label they were with more than anything on their part. There's a lot of stuff to listen to, and their style varies a bunch throughout the years, but it's by and large just a lot of fun overall.

I recently decided to give Turbo a listen since I remember hating it ages ago -- I still think it's kind of a bit weak this time around, but really, it's only a bit weak by Priest standards. It's a lot better than I remembered it being. Has a bunch of songs that I kinda feel that if they were on a different album [and thus, didn't have its overly clean, commercial sound], they'd be absolute gold... but even then, the sound has a charm of its own.
The whole album sounds like it should be in a movie soundtrack. Hell, the song Reckless on it was going to even get used in Top Gun, but licensing details prevented it.

Painkiller is my favorite Priest album. It's fun. It's so much fun. The subject matter for each song is a bit... well, more fantastical [and honestly kinda goofy for the most part] than previous albums, but damn, it's a treat.
STRAIGHT OUTTA HELL! ONE OF A KIND! STALKING ITS VICTIM! DON'T LOOK BEHIND YOU, NIGHTCRAWLER!

Owens-era Priest is... well, I'm not huge on it, it has its fans. Not much for me to say, really.
It just doesn't really sound like Priest at all to me. It's pretty cool how it kickstarted Owens' career though. The man can sing, I just don't like the songs.

When Halford returned... it's still kinda rough for a while. Haven't listened to Angel of Retribution too deeply, and I'm not sold on a casual listen while typing this. Not a fan of Nostradamus either. Redeemer of Souls has a few tracks I love [hearing him death growl HAAAAALLLLLSSS OF VALHAAALLAAAAAA and smoothly transition into a high-pitched shriek is amazing], but I don't think it's quite that fantastic as a whole.
I think they've hit their stride again with Firepower. It's not quite up there with their classic stuff [remember, they're really fucking old, they're getting ready for like 50 years at this now], but I like basically every song on that album. Sea of Red is just really god damn good.
Apparently, they're getting ready for another album, and I'm genuinely excited after Firepower. They're on their way out, but they've still got something left to give.
Come check out my website, I guess. Random stuff I've worked on over the last two decades.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

like null said, from Sad wings up to Painkiller is filled with mostly good stuff

Personally I'd approach it in steps and it'd go something like this in order :

1 - the one-two punch of Screaming For Vengeance and Defenders Of The Faith (quintessential NWOBHM era)

2 - Painkiller (quintessential arena-thrash era) (if you prefer the harder-hitting stuff, you could swap steps 1 and 2)

3 - Sin After Sin, Stained Class, Ram It Down, Sad Wings Of Destiny (the rest of the older excellency)

4 - Firepower, Redeemer Of Souls (the best newer stuff, very good)

5 - British Steel, Killing Machine, Point Of Entry (good but not albums strong enough on the whole to be deemed great LPs)

6 - explore the depths if you want, still some good tunes here and there

Note that British Steel could have been rated a bit higher, but it's personal preference at play here.
I don't like British Steel that much outside of Breaking The Law which is one of their highest peaks obviously(I could have put in the #6 honestly but classic record so, eh), Killing Machine is at least as good as it. I also really dig Point Of Entry, probably more than the average person. I dunno, it's straight ahead desert-pop tunes just do it for me, I enjoy. I thought of lumping that one at #3 but feel like the average person probably won't care about it as much as I do.
Also note that Ram It Down is another older one with harder-hitting play and production, so if you find yourself gravitating towards Painkiller, then you'll probably want to prioritize Ram It Down.

I feel like most people would agree with that ranking, aside from some minor tweaks (like maybe putting SWOD at he #5 step? and placing the 2 newer albums higher/lower than #4?).

-----------------------------------------------------------------

As far as synthwave and neo-new wave : I actually have incorporated them during work playlists. To me its great COMPUTER WORK music. I still listen to 80% '80s metal, but have carved the rest for synthwave.

At night and while drawing for sure is an excellent fit for synthwave. But I also like minimalist electronica for this, stuff like trip-hop, lo-fi hip-hop, IDM, etc
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

I had a similar experience to null1024 with Sad Wings of Destiny.

It's my favorite Priest album, hands down, and also one of my personal favorite albums of all time. Like top 5 favorite albums.

After that, I would agree with FinalBaton that Screaming For Vengeance and DOTF are great. Probably my next favorite Priest albums actually after SWOD.

From there on out, it's less important. There rest of the 70's stuff is all pretty strong, but the albums Stained Class and Killing Machine (in my opinion) are a bit above the others.
Point of Entry is less amazing than the others.

One approach might be this: 3 albums 1) SWOD (earth-shatteringly good early album) 2) SFV (possible the most NWOBHM album ever, or equal to any other) 3) Painkiller (best later expression of the band)

You'll be able to sort out where you want to start digging into the other stuff based on which one attracts you most.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Something driving and cool about Priest that does not get old. Always makes me think of Mad Max films for some reason.

Bloody awesome if you can ever see them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVoE3d3OYsM

Rob also has his own band too worth checking out:

Nailed to the Gun:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGcBP0j9tnY

If that does not rock you out then not a lot will :)

Been listening to old Bolt-Thrower lately. Never gets old.

Zeroed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwbJGDvAi_4

Killchain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wRTxBhqNuY

Honour:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kc-tZOBpOfE

To my ear BT always had a compact, no-messing sound and approach. It feels damn heavy and atmospheric. I see them more as a Hardcore band though than *Death-Metal*.

After BT a couple of ex-members from BT and Benediction formed Memoriam:

Undefeated:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzBLhPTxKvI

The Veteran:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6anKcNxssc

I have not seen them live as yet but I shall when I get the chance.

The artwork on the albums is pretty decent.

Been listening: to the new PL album.

The Devil Embraced:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZelvBPkXww

Hope Dies Young:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awCCObxmcpo

This has almost Goth, tinckly guitars.

Not a weak album overall.
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Ordered the Alien Soldier and Alien Storm OSTs on record from Data Discs. Very excited, Alien Soldier in particular is probably my favourite Mega Drive OST along with Streets Of Rage III.

Currently blasting Thou's latest album: a collection of Nirvana covers, always a highlight of their sets. Fucking horrible crushing detuned doom works so well with these songs.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Yeah they did 3 or 4 of them circa 2010 I think and they were stellar, I dug them back then. gonna give these new ones a spin now, should be good
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Sorta repeating myself, but Ludwig van Beethoven's Missa Solemnis by The English Baroque Soloists and The Monteverdi Choir, conducted by sir John Eliot Gardiner, is one of those, you know, THOSE Masses. The final "Amen" really means "AMEN". The Mug.* Pretty benchmark (if not massively natural) singing, there.

*) This is a low-tech rip. Could be from an old cassette? Anyway, my sister seemed pretty impressed when hearing it off CD through telephone as a background during conversation, so, it can take such a downgrade, still delivering its punch.
Last edited by Obiwanshinobi on Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The way out is cut off

Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

MintyTheCat wrote:To my ear BT always had a compact, no-messing sound and approach. It feels damn heavy and atmospheric. I see them more as a Hardcore band though than *Death-Metal*.

DON'T quote me on that, but I heard from a seasoned metalhead, many years ago, that Benediction were kinda neo-Nazis. Just hearsay. Than again, if you always remembered every gossip ever spread about anyone...
Spoiler
The way out is cut off

MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:
MintyTheCat wrote:To my ear BT always had a compact, no-messing sound and approach. It feels damn heavy and atmospheric. I see them more as a Hardcore band though than *Death-Metal*.

DON'T quote me on that, but I heard from a seasoned metalhead, many years ago, that Benediction were kinda neo-Nazis. Just hearsay. Than again, if you always remembered every gossip ever spread about anyone...
Nazis generally can't play for shit as a general rule.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Good to see Priest well-represented by messrs Baton and null, you guys know your stuff. :mrgreen: Rando, re Opeth, I pretty much listen to Watershed. It's a musty, autumnal, fairly proggy sort of extreme metal... it seems fairly divisive among fans, but I never care about that much. I recommend it if you're in the mood for something a bit slower-moving and eccentric. Chanced across it fifteen years ago and liked it so much I never really felt compelled to explore further, other than the odd scattered track. "Demon of the Fall" is neat, wish I knew where to find more of its heavenly coda. Their post-Watershed stuff is, appropriately enough, dramatically different and much lighter in tone.

---

Regarding Priest, I concur that Vengeance, Defenders and Painkiller are the three to grab. Other than Defenders' aforementioned weak finish, they're the band at their explosive, immediate, precision-machined best. The interim between Defenders and PK saw their most avowedly commercial work, not bad for what it is, but not a patch on the trilogy's unbridled furies. While steadfastly avoiding overt tech-wanking territory, it's sleekly melodic, harmony-driven, high-powered metal that still sounds cutting-edge to this day.

Up here in space... I'm lookin' down on you...

A few highlights from each:

>THE HELLION/ELECTRIC EYE
>RIDING ON THE WIND
>SCREAMING FOR VENGEANCE
>PAIN & PLEASURE

>FREEWHEEL BURNIN'
>ROCK HARD RIDE FREE
>THE SENTINEL
>EAT ME ALIVE
>SOME HEADS ARE GONNA ROLL

^ fucking lmao... all links dead, had to improvise. Witness MAD POLE POSITION ( Image ) SKILLS in Freewheel Burnin'! Which I always associated with Gradius, Salamander and other fiery interstellar shootathons... in fact, you know what, fuck it. Imma put in an audio-only link, because I actively avoid music videos, and that is one fuckin helluva track.

BORN TO LEAD
AT BREAKNECK SPEED
WITH HIGH OCTANE
WE'RE SPITTING FLAMES
(I still prefer to hear it as RESPECT IS GAINED - post scores, noob!)

I prefer my own mental imagery, naw mean? Do unto others etc etc ;3 The dual-guitar lead-out is especially spectacular - cutting-edge space dogfighter metal. Image

>PAINKILLER
>HELL PATROL
>ALL GUNS BLAZING
>LEATHER REBEL
( :lol: rad chorus, reminds me of Dio's "Rainbow in the Dark")
>ONE SHOT AT GLORY

I've never bothered with later stuff, a terrible habit I have with old favourite bands. TBH, just seeing they were still going to fond reception was enough for me. Will have to catch up sometime. Was forever before I finally tried Motorhead's post-Inferno stuff.

Of the pre-Vengeance years, Sad Wings and Sin After Sin have a lot to offer in their slightly proggier 70s metal mode... while Killing Machine has knock-down drag-out rock n' roll with a brutal metal edge, and has aged better than iconic followup British Steel, where they really got into prototypical 80s metal.

I would recommend Unleashed In The East for a good snapshot of this era's best - most of the tracks I'd suggest are on there in superior form. Not a knock on the studio versions, it's just a helluva record. In particular, its "Victim of Changes" is to die for.

>THE GREEN MANALISHI (WITH THE TWO-PRONGED CROWN)
>VICTIM OF CHANGES
>GENOCIDE
>TYRANT
>DELIVERING THE GOODS
>SINNER
>HELL-BENT FOR LEATHER

The glaring exception is Stained Class (only one track on East), which is right in the middle of their 70s canon. Despite being routinely hailed as a foundational "modern metal" record, I don't get that feel from it. That's clearly Killing Machine/British Steel's angle, one fully realised in Vengeance/Defenders. Stained is a bizarre detour into aspects of disco and space-rock, flamboyant, trippy and downright danceable at parts, paradoxically anchored to balls-hard classic rock riffs and tone.

Wild-eyed and tight-fisted
I'm fused to the bone...

It's my favourite Priest record overall, even including the Vengeance/Defenders/Painkiller trinity. Doesn't have their raw feelgood power, but holy fuck, it grooves and struts with an armour-plated edge I've never found elsewhere. Elusively morbid lyrics, keening vocals, bludgeoning riffs and cocky grooves... a blisteringly, blindingly flaming salvo of 1970s alchemy.

They laughed at their God,
And fought Him in vain
So he turned his back on them,
And left them in pain...
(a tale of war any hardened arcade vet will resonate to Image - SAINTS IN HELL Image EACH ONE OF THEM MARTYRS / QUITE WILLING TO DIE)

I wouldn't even recommend it as a metal record, particularly - just an inimitably fabulous set of heavy music, fronted by a guitar duo of legend, a jazz-schooled percussionist of sublimely easy control, and the gayest, most blazingly commanding operatic screamer heavy music has yet seen.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Good Priest retrospective BIRRU

The pre-leather trio of Sad Wings/Sin after Sin/Stained Class is all very nice stuff.

I think my fave of the three is Stained Class. It is so consistently good, and haunting to boot which is an interesting twist.

Sad Wings not quite as consistent as Stained Class, but very nice in that regard nonetheless and very good peaks

Sin after Sin has a bit more disco/jank tracks than Sad Wings, but it's high points are SO strong. Very nice too

Killing Machine is kinda weird : half of it is filler but the other half gets me HARD. and so I still think of the record highly.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Priest definitely had an endemic album-filler issue. Even their very best stuff tends to have at least a couple arrant padders, and/or a pussy-ass ballad :lol: I like several of 'em, but I tend to dunk Killing Machine's Before The Dawn off the playlist.

Some of the album tracks are well worth digging up, ofc. KM's title track is borderline r&b, absolutely grooving...

...and Burnin' Up is why I chuck out Dawn, it's practically James Brown. :mrgreen: "WE GOT 2 MAKE LOVE 2NIGHT!" *HI-HAT INTENSIFIES* Image (man, Les Binks is a cool cat) The howling, yowling solos remind me of Sab's Vol.4, Supernaut, Snowblind etc, when they'd gotten into that first-rate Bolivian coke and were doing snow angels on the studio floor... Priest were starting to bring in good money post-British Steel, hmm.

My favourite album cut offhand is THE RAGE from British Steel, that one's a real downtempo burner/exploder. "Like a tiger / In the cage / We begin / To shake with RA-A-A-AGE!"

I was deeply moved / beyond all consolation to see they'd gotten a Grammy for Dissident Aggressor, too.

A Image
Mother Image
Fuckin Image
Head Image
Stomper

Stab And Stomp? Bloody Road? Slaughter Machine? All those good things trace back here, to tales of impregnable walls and grand canyons, exploding and reloading to blackened memories of unit dispersal... Image

Not that those awards mean much (oh hai thar MIRRI VANIRRI) - but man, that was my hidden goodie at the very end of Sin After Sin, all my teenage years - only person I knew of who GAF was good ol' Ian Hill, who professed his admiration for it in the Metal Works liner notes. Image
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

whaaaa? Dissident Agressor got a Grammy?

colour me surprised that the industry went out of it's way to award the thrash metal monstrosity that is DA. Not that it means a single flying fuck, as you noted
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

It almost makes up for them giving Motorhead one for fucking Whiplash. :lol: (a fine cover, to be fair, but my god what a slap in Lemmy's mutton-chops! he pretty much told 'em to fuck themselves, too Image)
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Kurtis Blow seems to have made his way into my feed.
My lord, I have come for you.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Extases baroques album by María Cristina Kiehr & Concerto Soave ensemble, focused on Moteti e cantade a voce sole by Giovanni-Felice Sances (c. 1600 - 1679). Just its - kind of "pin-up" - cover was appealing to me for a CD box lying 'round is something I see a lot at home, so it had better be my type, but it was Christina Pluhar's name on the back that sealed the deal (it's from the time soon before she founded l'Arpeggiata).
And so I have a crush on María Cristina Kiehr's soprano singing, the strongest I've had since my infatuation with Dorothee Mields' soprano jobs for Lautten Compagney ensemble directed by Wolfgang Katschner, particularly the latter's La dolce vita album. I might add, considering my enormous exposition to Baroque music of many flavours these days, that I listen to very gifted, extremely polished and characterful singers of such repertoires 'most every day, and you don't see me namedropping them here all the time. I just think any possible, budding or fledgling listener to Baroque music deserves a chance to learn about this particular one a.s.a.p.
The way out is cut off

trap15

Post by trap15 »

Z.O.A, a Japanese prog rock band mostly active from 86~93 I've gotten quite into. Hoping the concert they are putting on in ~3 months (they got back together a year or two ago) goes through, it got postponed twice already (once for typhoon, again for COVID), and I'm excited to catch them live.

Some stand-outs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRNtfZwLn-k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayN1qLW ... 9r&index=4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfD-BMHxcfA
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

This is great, thank you.

edit: BIL mentioned Mikael Akerfeldt a page ago or so - he always talks about the Scorpions, and last time I was in a charity shop I came across a copy of Blackout on vinyl.

I'm not disappointed. Akerfeldt is never wrong.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

CStarFlare wrote:I came across a copy of Blackout on vinyl.
Super-memorable cover artwork. I was reminiscing about remarkable Eastern Bloc blues-hard-heavy-Onkel-rock bands of yesteryear lately: TSA, Locomotiv GT, Skorpió... and, by the power on natural association, that Blackout cover sprang forth out of my memory (I doub't I've ever heard all of the album, but if I was a vinyl collector, I'd want to get that one badly, I think).

Speaking of TSA, their debut album Live holds up magnificently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5N0c5DaMCTQ

Most robust singing, and Nowak is one of those electric guitar players blessed by The Blues (for the lack of a better word).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3LEKAw4z3I

(Even the lyrics don't suck, in case you wonder.)
The way out is cut off

Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

Heaven Shall Burn - Too Good to Steal From

Germany's finest metalcore band recently reaped the rewards of their decade-long efforts, as their double album Of Truth and Sacrifice entered the German album charts at the #1 spot. Well done.

While their own original output is awesome enough, they also display an excellent and surprisingly diverse taste in music by the songs they chose to cover over the course of their carreer. Too Good to Steal From is a bonus CD added to some editions of their Wanderer album that collects all of HSB's cover versions up to that point. The acts covered include such wildly different bands as Blind Guardian, Dritte Wahl, Edge Of Sanity, Killing Joke, Life Of Agony, Paradise Lost, Therapy? and Tiamat - something for everyone! Awesomely, the cover versions of Valhalla and Auge um Auge feature guest vocals by Hansi Kürsch of Bilnd Guardian and Mille Petrozza of Kreator respectively.

Oh, and the regular Wanderer album adds an extra cover version in Sodom's Agent Orange. (FinalBaton should enjoy this.)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Finally gave Priest's Firepower a listen, wasn't disappointed after Baton and null's recommendations. Classic fiery stuff - the loss of KK Downing is a crying shame, but the high-performance dual-lead is hardly diminished, and Halford wears his marginally lower register formidably well. I'd rank it in the company of their Vengeance/Defenders/Painkiller trinity; even if its peaks aren't quite as stratospheric as those records', it's consistently hard-hitting and frequently comes damn close.

I'm of the opinion that these guys have more than earned a graceful exit... I didn't realise Glenn Tipton had Parkinson's until this most recent revisit of a beloved old band's past, present and future. A class act - full on til it's gone.

I nicked that from Maom, but they are metal as fuck so it's cool. (hard-lovin' horny fruits on their wrappers terrorise polite society, it's true!)
Last edited by BIL on Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andsuchisdeath

Post by andsuchisdeath »

Herr Schatten wrote:Heaven Shall Burn - Too Good to Steal From

Germany's finest metalcore band
ACME is my favorite german metalcore band
Last edited by andsuchisdeath on Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Herr Schatten wrote:Oh, and the regular Wanderer album adds an extra cover version in Sodom's Agent Orange. (FinalBaton should enjoy this.)
Very nice :D good cover too, vocals are particularly pestilent, I like!

Not a metalcore guy but I have no problem with the genre at all, plus I certainly have huge respect for their hustle. A band that has grind it out like that and for them to finally gets some recognition, is well deserved and gets my admiration.

I did listen to a few other tracks from the record and I gotta say : I did dig it. very nice stuff. very melodic
BIL wrote:Finally gave Priest's Firepower a listen, wasn't disappointed after Baton and null's recommendations. Classic fiery stuff. [...] I'd rank it in the company of their Vengeance/Defenders/Painkiller trinity; even if its peaks aren't quite as stratospheric as those records', it's consistently hard-hitting and frequently comes damn close.
Yeah, an extremely solid release that! I'd say that's a perfect description of it in your bit I quoted there.

------------------------------------------------

On another note, I re-gave another shot to the Glen Hugues and Tony Martin Sabbath.

I gotta say, TYR is growing on me. The opening track Anno Mundi and the titan that is Jerusalem are positively IMMENSE. It is very fun to hear Iommi write in the power metal style, one of those what-if scenarios that actually happened! Damn I love these two tracks.

Headless Cross I had previously professed my love for on here, especially the self-titled track. But what has gown on me is the monster that is When Death Calls. Ffffffffffuk that one makes my dick xplode! Nightwing is very good too, maybe just a hair lesser. And Devil & Daughter also a hair lesser.

Cross Purposes, I cannot jive with this one. Opening track is alright, but it quickly disolves into a Dollar Tree version of Alice in Chains... really does nothing for me, it's okay at best. will give it more chances

Forbidden, I didn't hate as much as I expected. Some alright moments, honestly. But production is weak and does Iommi riffs no favour (still some good riffs on display here).

Hugues' Seven Star is really nice! way different, very bluesy and traditional hard rock and 80's rock. As far as 80's rock cheese, Danger Zone is actually really good (verse riff is honestly savage). Lots of strong moments throughout the album.

I haven't listened to Fused and DEP sessions yet, will do and report back.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

FinalBaton wrote:Headless Cross I had previously professed my love for on here, especially the self-titled track. But what has gown on me is the monster that is When Death Calls. Ffffffffffuk that one makes my dick xplode! Nightwing is very good too, maybe just a hair lesser. And Devil & Daughter also a hair lesser.
When Death Calls, guest starring Brian May! ...who I'm not the biggest listener of, tbh - only on nodding terms with Queen. But ho ho hoooly fuck, he blows the roof off here. Scorching jetfire solo within a boundless black abyss of a Satanic hair ballad. Image

Nightwing is my second-favourite after Death, I think. Tony Martin is underrated to hell and back. Was kinda amused to note Iommi recycled the bulldozing outro riff from Sabotage's "The Writ," also that song's coda. But that's a cracking tune, too, and context is everything. :cool: (fuck me, I always forget about quasi-secret track "Blow On A Jug" :lol:)
Cross Purposes, I cannot jive with this one. Opening track is alright, but it quickly disolves into a Dollar Tree version of Alice in Chains... really does nothing for me, it's okay at best. will give it more chances
Could never get into Cross Purposes, there's a line where certain bands hit "ordinary" status... not bad, just lacking what made them distinct. It's been over a decade but I felt the same about Motorhead's Rock n' Roll, just competent late-80s hard rock with a couple of gems to nick for the playlist. I should revisit.
Hugues' Seven Star is really nice! way different, very bluesy and traditional hard rock and 80's rock. As far as 80's rock cheese, Danger Zone is actually really good (verse riff is honestly savage). Lots of strong moments throughout the album.
Seventh Star is good stuff, I agree. Even if the lyrics are kinda eyebrow-raising ("Livin' on the street, I'm no stranger to love" what the fuck? :shock: :lol:), that's some quality cheese! And the title track has some classic oomph to it. For all the shitshow surrounding the band at that point, it's solid work. I feel the same about The Eternal Idol... some pockets of greatness in there. Just try to forget about Ray "Death Dick" Gillen >_> Image
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Yeah the track Seventh Star is superb ! very monolithic. a few scorching rockers on the album actually. In For the Kill verse riff absolutely rips. same for Turn To Stone.

Forgot to mention Eternal Idol : couple good songs on that one! I really like the opening track The Shinning, for one. Rise up! To the shin-niiiiing... quite competent, OTTOMH I didn't like it quite as much as Headless Cross and Tyr, but it was pretty good.

Really getting new appreciation for Tony Martin, and frankly he's in the conversation for top Sabbath vocalist for me now. Certainly the better of the bunch technically, no bones about it.

Forgot to mention : Cozy Powell really hitting the drums with ODIN'S HAMMER on headless Cross and Tyr :lol: I mean fuck!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-