What are you currently listening to?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Obscura

Re: What are you currently listening to?

Post by Obscura »

FinalBaton wrote:I'm currently on a big Morbid Angel kick

Specifically, the albums Altars Of Madness, Domination and Gateways To Anihilation are in heavy rotation over here

Altars Of Madness is of course amazing. This is such a treat for someone like myself who prefers the oldschool Death Metal sound. such
What's your take on "Abominations of Desolation", and its 1980s renditions of many of the "Blessed Are the Sick" favorites?
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://lecassette.bandcamp.com/album/l ... wn-devices
New synthwave album by Le Cassette. Some good tracks, but also some decent tracks. Solid album otherwise.
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Basia - Butterflies (entire CD)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRlZQg6 ... 7M0BbC6cs_
Show Time, the song I'm listening to right now. Love it.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://bartgraft.bandcamp.com/album/americana-vol-3
Sounds like Frank Klepacki's C&C music. Well put together album!
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Obscura wrote:What's your take on "Abominations of Desolation", and its 1980s renditions of many of the "Blessed Are the Sick" favorites?
Haven't listened to that one much yet! (once only). Didn't know the context of that one, that's very interesting. It has my interest now, Going to give it a serious listen.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

When you want to find a good curated library of funky '80s japanes pop, and you find one, is good shit.

DJ Van Paugam has a bunch of City Pop playlists on his channel, as well as a live stream. So far I'm very pleased with the stuff, it's good songs all around. Been listening mainly to the live stream.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuSh1X ... YTg/videos
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

FinalBaton wrote:When you want to find a good curated library of funky '80s japanes pop, and you find one, is good shit.

DJ Van Paugam has a bunch of City Pop playlists on his channel, as well as a live stream. So far I'm very pleased with the stuff, it's good songs all around. Been listening mainly to the live stream.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuSh1X ... YTg/videos
I fucking love 80's JPop, which led me recently to some Future Funk goodness. I'll check out the link when I have some time available, thanks!
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

FinalBaton wrote:I'm currently on a big Morbid Angel kick.
do you know Formulas Fatal to the Flesh? Probably my favorite Morbid Angel, Heaving Earth is so damn good, its riff paradise for me. Favorite production too, they finally achieved true Lava Mode.

Altars and Blessed are probably second favorites. Domination is a bit simpler imo, but I can't help but like it too. I lost track of them after Heretic.
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

blackoak wrote:do you know Formulas Fatal to the Flesh? Probably my favorite Morbid Angel, Heaving Earth is so damn good, its riff paradise for me. Favorite production too, they finally achieved true Lava Mode.

Altars and Blessed are probably second favorites. Domination is a bit simpler imo, but I can't help but like it too. I lost track of them after Heretic.
I do not! so far I've only focused on the 3 I've mentionned above, and only glanced over the other albums, giving them 1 full listen at best(which is not enough for me to digest an album). But you're really piquing my interest here, looks like chances are good I'll be really digging it. I'll definitely give it a serious listen(a couple of listens actually), . In addition to AoD, which Obscura mentionned to me
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

soprano1 wrote:I fucking love 80's JPop, which led me recently to some Future Funk goodness. I'll check out the link when I have some time available, thanks!
No problem bud! Let me know which mixes/songs/artists you liked best, I'm curious

Already I'm getting smitten with that power-couple of '80s j-pop : Tatsuro Yamashita and Mariya Takeuchi. And many others.
Man, Tatsuro is a damn beast of a composer, and guy's got a G O L D E N voice too. I don't know if his whole damn catalog stacks up to that very high standard, but yeah his hits are straight up unbelievable. wow
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

The City Pop videos are quite nice.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

soprano1 wrote:The City Pop videos are quite nice.
Knew you'd like them!

I think my fave so far are the Summer Edition one, 2.0, and the first one
Ain't no better music to make house chores to. really lifts my spirit. nice while leisurely driving around town at night, or countryside during daytime too
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

FinalBaton wrote:
soprano1 wrote:The City Pop videos are quite nice.
Knew you'd like them!

I think my fave so far are the Summer Edition one, 2.0, and the first one
Ain't no better music to make house chores to. really lifts my spirit. nice while leisurely driving around town at night, or countryside during daytime too
There seems to be a new City Pop streaming now.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

soprano1 wrote:There seems to be a new City Pop streaming now.
The City Pop stream is constant(24/7)! if I got it correctly. That's one of the big attract of it IMO : a City Pop radio you can tune in at any and all times, and discover stuff
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

FinalBaton wrote:
soprano1 wrote:There seems to be a new City Pop streaming now.
The City Pop stream is constant(24/7)! if I got it correctly. That's one of the big attract of it IMO : a City Pop radio you can tune in at any and all times, and discover stuff
Christ, that's insane. :lol:
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

soprano1 wrote:Christ, that's insane. :lol:
Deliciously insane :mrgreen: haha
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ts0ftm0OQY

Allegaeon Of Mind and Matrix

FinalBaton, check out these guys if you haven't already. They rock. \m/
Steamflogger Boss

Post by Steamflogger Boss »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZUamXNUJ-0

Sonic Altar - Under A Dying Sun {Full Album}
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

https://apollorecords.bandcamp.com/albu ... orks-85-92
Aphex Twin's classic album from 1992. Still very good. :P
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Steamflogger Boss wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ts0ftm0OQY

Allegaeon Of Mind and Matrix

FinalBaton, check out these guys if you haven't already. They rock. \m/
Will check it out fo sho'!
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Bowie's Low, Scary Monsters and Let's Dance on vinyl. (have more but these 3 are my fave and the ones I've been listening a ton these days)

My copy of Let's Dance sounds so good, that I almost fell down my chair. Dammmmmn
Hadn't listened to it on my new rig yet
Last edited by FinalBaton on Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

Low is a record I wish owned on vinyl. A New Career in a New Town was my credits BGM for a couple years. Image
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

BIL wrote:A New Career in a New Town[/i] was my credits BGM for a couple years. Image
Lol. but also : (

Such and oustanding album. speaking of that song : it just happens to be the one that stick the most with me these days, and was about to highlight it. Perfect little ambient post-punk gem that one is. killer mood

Sadly my copie of Low sounds pretty ho-hum. I really need to find a better pressing
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

Low and Scary Monsters are my favorite Bowie albums too, after The Man Who Sold The World (underrated). I don't know what it is about Bowie, but I never got into him like other acclaimed artists. I feel like his "well-known" songs are correctly identified for their quality, and that every album has a couple standouts that aren't popularly known, but it's like 30/70 or 40/60 in terms of songs I like on any given Bowie album. Luckily, across such a long career, it just so happens that that's still a lot of good stuff.

(I should probably include the Labyrinth soundtrack as a favorite too, haha)
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Man, I really need to rewatch Labirynth :lol: and other chilhood faves like Willow (that mu'fucker Mad Martigan is pretty funny).

I get what you mean with the 40/60 or 30/70 ratio. It's very real on most of his albums. But these songs are usually extremely different (in tempo at least)from the great ones on the record, so they do have some kinda merit at least. For me though, the whole of Low is good. And I'd say almost the whole of Let's Dance is. Scary Monsters, yeah the ratio applies there. But I got a deep connection to that album so I'm still fine with the more wack tracks. lol.

I don't own any album/don't listen to his stuff past Let's Dance. Also, for the early stuff I mainly stick to the singles(really like sufragette city and hang on to yourself, such good glam-punk)

I'm not the biggest Bowie fan, but I'm totally obsessed by these 3 records I cited as my fave. Love his collabs with Iggy Pop too
I find him a very interesting, and intriguing character
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
BIL

Post by BIL »

FinalBaton wrote:Lol. but also : (
Great song for gazing wistfully out of train windows and pondering one's next move to. :mrgreen:

I particularly like the "snapshot" concept of Low's first half - lots of short, instantly hooky pop - and the neat transition into darker, absorbing ambience in its second. It feels like as much like a couple of brilliant EPs that way.
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

soprano1 wrote:https://apollorecords.bandcamp.com/albu ... orks-85-92
Aphex Twin's classic album from 1992. Still very good. :P
fuck yeah it is dude.

afx is fuckin amazing, loved him since I was in high school. listening to this monster of his right now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMuVhfEEmJ4

so simple but it speaks to all my primal insticnts..urges.. whatever. it's a banger is what I'm saying
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

On a tangent: the band In Flames owns the pub 2112, in Göteborg. They could be spotted there often, and other rock artists would always visit if in town. The pub has an immense selection of beers, great (and big!) burgers, and they are always willing to take requests for the playlist. The mildly surprising bit is that any classic progressive request is usually greeted with praise and cheers. Once they had a "Sunday afternoon death metal for families" event :lol:
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Marc

Post by Marc »

blackoak wrote:Low and Scary Monsters are my favorite Bowie albums too, after The Man Who Sold The World (underrated). I don't know what it is about Bowie, but I never got into him like other acclaimed artists. I feel like his "well-known" songs are correctly identified for their quality, and that every album has a couple standouts that aren't popularly known, but it's like 30/70 or 40/60 in terms of songs I like on any given Bowie album. Luckily, across such a long career, it just so happens that that's still a lot of good stuff.

(I should probably include the Labyrinth soundtrack as a favorite too, haha)
Couldn't agree more on both points. MWStW is an immense album that doesn't get nearly the credit it deserves, though I wonder how much of it Bowie was actually responsible for. Having read a lot about it, I'd say it's probably a 50/50 split with Visconti - who's bass playing on that album is amazing. Ziggy and Monsters are the only other two I regularly listen to end to end, Hunky Dory gets the odd spin, and the rest I've pretty much condensed into a large playlist. I've got the entire catalogue on viyl up to Let's Dance, but they're all originals, so some are more worn thatn others. Only re-release I picked up was the 40th Anniversary release of Ziggy, 180g vinyl which came with a bonus CD of hi-res/surround mixes. Surround mixes are cool, and the hi-res sounds very nice on a decent player (mine isn't). Wouldn't mind another copy of MWStW though as mine sounds its age.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell