What are you currently listening to?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
OmegaFlareX

Re: What are you currently listening to?

Post by OmegaFlareX »

BurlyHeart wrote:Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You

I only discovered Unwound this year, somehow overlooking them during my youth. I've had an enjoyable journey through their catalog, having listened to nearly all their previous albums, and rather liked their blend of noise-rock, post-hardcore punk.

Nothing prepared me for this album. I had read it was their best and is viewed favorably among critics and fans alike. It completly floored me to be honest. Not because I think it's an amazing album (it might be - right now I think it's really good, but I do need more time), but because it's so different to their earlier stuff. To be honest, it's hard to articulate my feelings on it, but I can't remember ever being so intrigued and perplexed by an album I liked.
Thanks for the rec, I did some brief reading about it and I added it to my list of albums to listen to. I've heard the band mentioned before since I'm a fan of 90's alternative. I'm not entirely sure what "post-hardcore" means since I'm not very familiar with punk (and WikiP's definition was a bit confusing), but I might have something like that in my library: The Clearing by Disappearer.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

OmegaFlareX wrote:
BurlyHeart wrote:Unwound - Leaves Turn Inside You

I only discovered Unwound this year, somehow overlooking them during my youth. I've had an enjoyable journey through their catalog, having listened to nearly all their previous albums, and rather liked their blend of noise-rock, post-hardcore punk.

Nothing prepared me for this album. I had read it was their best and is viewed favorably among critics and fans alike. It completly floored me to be honest. Not because I think it's an amazing album (it might be - right now I think it's really good, but I do need more time), but because it's so different to their earlier stuff. To be honest, it's hard to articulate my feelings on it, but I can't remember ever being so intrigued and perplexed by an album I liked.
Thanks for the rec, I did some brief reading about it and I added it to my list of albums to listen to. I've heard the band mentioned before since I'm a fan of 90's alternative. I'm not entirely sure what "post-hardcore" means since I'm not very familiar with punk (and WikiP's definition was a bit confusing), but I might have something like that in my library: The Clearing by Disappearer.
If you like 90's alternative, Unwound's New Plastic Ideas might be a better listen. Leaves Turn Inside You is a fantastic album, but it is...different, and not really representative of the band's body of work, being more mellow with orchestral instruments.

Post-hardcore refers to the scene that evolved following hardcore punk. I think it happened in several cities, but Washington DC is a good example. Fugazi are often cited as post-hardcore, and (co) lead man Ian MacKaye was in the prominent DC hardcore punk band Minor Threat before starting Fugazi. People see it as an evolution from hardcore punk. I guess some musical characteristics of post-hardcore would be timings other than your typical 4/4, different beats within one song, stops, screaming vocals mixed with more melodic ones, noisy guitars. The ethos of post-hardcore would be a DIY ethic and often has political or social commentary in the lyrics.

To be honest, I used to think it wasn't a real sub-genre and I'm still kinda skeptical. But one day I realised that nearly all my favorite bands were classified as post-hardcore.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

BurlyHeart wrote:Leaves Turn Inside You is a fantastic album, but it is...different, and not really representative of the band's body of work, being more mellow with orchestral instruments.
I see. That sounds a bit like Post-rock, something I'm more familiar with (namely Jakob, Caspian, pg.lost). So I might still like it.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

If you like disco music, you will like The Soft Pink Truth's latest and greatest. They are the brainchild of Drew Daniels, one half of the noise duo Matmos (yes they named themselves after the creature from Barbarella).

and Matmos's latest

BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

OmegaFlareX wrote:
BurlyHeart wrote:Leaves Turn Inside You is a fantastic album, but it is...different, and not really representative of the band's body of work, being more mellow with orchestral instruments.
I see. That sounds a bit like Post-rock, something I'm more familiar with (namely Jakob, Caspian, pg.lost). So I might still like it.
I've read at least one review calling it Post Rock, but I'm unfamiliar with the genre. Will be curious to hear your thoughts whenever .
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Wow. This is very retro for when it came out. Sounds like pre-gabber drum n bass. It's fun though.
rapoon

Post by rapoon »

vol.2 wrote:Moss of Aura today released a new album on bandcamp. I can't recommend highly enough. He is hands-down the best thing to come out of the 2000s warehouse music scene in Baltimore, even better than Beach House.

I haven't had enough time to process this new one yet, but my current favorite is Still Parade. If you need something on in the background to make you feel good, or your just having a hard time after taking some psychedelics, do yourself a favor and put one of Gerrit's albums on.

This is his best album since Wading, which entirely missing from Bandcamp for some reason. While digging around on Bandcamp, I found this gem: Abelone (Moss of Aura remix)
Marc

Post by Marc »

Heafswim - Flood Redux - brilliant vinyl reissue of a sorely under-rated 90's classic

Jawbox - Live at Metro Chicago 2019

Girls Against Boys - Freak*on*ica

Delta Sleep - Spring Island
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

rapoon wrote:
vol.2 wrote:Moss of Aura today released a new album on bandcamp. I can't recommend highly enough. He is hands-down the best thing to come out of the 2000s warehouse music scene in Baltimore, even better than Beach House.

I haven't had enough time to process this new one yet, but my current favorite is Still Parade. If you need something on in the background to make you feel good, or your just having a hard time after taking some psychedelics, do yourself a favor and put one of Gerrit's albums on.

This is his best album since Wading, which entirely missing from Bandcamp for some reason.
I totally agree. I didn't much like one from 2016 and I'm thrilled he went back to the post-Aphex techno-Caribbean stuff. I still like March-Still Parade-Wading better, but it's close. Maybe I like it as much as March, and certainly better than Circle in the Corner (which is also great).
While digging around on Bandcamp, I found this gem: Abelone (Moss of Aura remix)
That's amazing, yeah. William isn't really in Baltimore anymore. He comes to town every once in awhile, but he basically moved to LA over pandemic. Also Sam Herring is gone; he moved to Toronto because he got a job acting in some TV show up there. I forget what he said it's called, but you can probably IMDB it if you're curious.

Anyways, if you like that William Cashion track, and you haven't heard Peals, you might like to check that out. It's him and another local musician from the time of the seconds Fields Festival, if that means anything to you: https://peals.bandcamp.com/album/honey
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

It's Bandamp Friday! Hooray!

I've got 2 CDs on my desk I've been waiting to rip since getting them in my most recent Amazon order last month: Seventeen Seconds (The Cure), The Downward Spiral (Nine Inch Nails). Both 2-disc Deluxe editions. Not gonna rip them until my next Bandcamp batch. Looks like I'm skipping it again this month, as I'm waiting for the full album by Distressor (some pretty epic shoegaze stuff) to release. They've pre-launched 3 singles and they're all incredible. But I'm gonna wait for the LP.

In case anyone's wondering, I only buy music in batches due to the effort of maintaining an offline/portable digital library. Gotta RIP CDs, extract Bandcamp downloads, sort into folders, edit tags, add album covers if needed, make backups, get the new stuff onto my phone via flash drive (which means taking it out of its protective case), etc. It's kind of a pain, but it's really nice having tons of music on both my PC and phone that doesn't require any internet connection. Guess I'm still kinda stuck in the iTunes era, although I haven't used iTunes in years since they gave me a bunch of DRM'd files last time I tried it. Apparently these days you can get lossless stuff (ALACs) from them and it's supported natively in Windows, so I might give them another try for mainstream stuff that I can't get on Bandcamp.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

I always keep and listen to all my music offline. I thought it was a normal thing lol

I do enjoy searching ebay for albums that are not available online for whatever reason. Can get some real bargains. Shipping to Korea is a bit of a pain and a risk, but there's not really any other choice to buy some of the music I want. It's not even available on pirate sites. Ripping the CDs can be quite the chore though.

That said, I very much like bandcamp and their system. Once a month, on payday, I will listen to a bunch of new stuff there. Literally just clicking through recommendations, genres and random bands. I'll normally buy a classic album I've had my eye on and, if I find something I like, a new album too.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

BurlyHeart wrote:I always keep and listen to all my music offline. I thought it was a normal thing lol
Nope, nearly everyone has moved to streaming. The ones buying and using vinyl, cassettes and offline digital are the weirdos. I don't have any numbers to back it up, but I'd say the vinyl enthusiasts vastly outnumber the digital library people (me) by a significant margin. Like, I wouldn't be surprised if iTunes and Amazon ended their purchasable download systems in the near future.

I'd consider a streaming subscription if it actually paid the artists anything at all.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Jetplane Landing: Holy fck what a band. Make me want to pick my guitar and form my own band again. I bought their debut Zero for Conduct and seen them live in Dublin many moons ago. I wish I kept up with them because they are bloody awesome. Catapulted right into my top 5 favorite bands. They made four studio albums and all are excellent in their own way.

Some samples from each of their albums in order of release. Give them a try if you like post-hardcore rock with catchy melodies.

This is not Revolution Rock (from Zero for Conduct - their most catchy and radio friendly album imo)
https://youtu.be/uYsDCisgMh8

Calculate the Risk (from Once Like a Spark - heavier, louder, but still melodic. Maybe my favorite JP album. Maybe.)
https://youtu.be/75-8iAb4KSs

Song for Sonia Sanchez (from Backlash Cop - a lot of funk inspired beats on this record. Probably their most experimental, but still awesome. Bonus points for introducing me to Les Savy Fav, who I think I am going to love. Cannot find a representative song online to share sadly, only this poppier entry which is very reminiscent of Idlewild to me)
https://youtu.be/XexIym5ySYc

My Radio Heart (from Don't Try - their swansong. Somehow heavier and catchier. Some bangers on here)
https://youtu.be/nBI9JO8NbwU
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

Yes!! I saw Jetplane so many times from the Once Like a Spark era onwards, fantastic live band and great guys to boot.

In terms of Les Savy Fav, they've not done anything for ages but if live shows pop up - go! Live, they're unlike anything else I've seen - you could get bizarre costumes, climbing on everything, songs performed from the gents toilets and all sorts inbetween. Go Forth and Let's Stay Friends are probably their best albums but they're all worth a look. Inches is probably a good starting point because it's a reverse chronology of a series of 7" singles they put out regularly from their beginning to about 2004.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Just got back from a long trip to California, and I saw a few bands play in LA. Probably the most noteworthy was Wolf Eyes.

From Detroit. They are/were a noise act, but what I saw last weekend sounded more like Aphex Twin's Hangable Auto Bulb crossed with early The Birthday Party. It slapped. Impossible to recreate the live thing they do, but there is a bandcamp page.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Hey vol.2 you familiar with these guys at all?

https://kooleyhigh.bandcamp.com/music
My lord, I have come for you.
vol.2

Post by vol.2 »

Stevens wrote:Hey vol.2 you familiar with these guys at all?

https://kooleyhigh.bandcamp.com/music
No I'm not. Listening to it right now though and it's great. Very mid 90s lol.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Didn't know who these cats were yesterday but I'm glad I found them.

EDIT - Made it through all six albums, went surprisingly quick. Some real good songs in there. In fact only once did I say "Don't need to hear that again".

Going to pick up some of their stuff.
My lord, I have come for you.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

TransatlanticFoe wrote:Yes!! I saw Jetplane so many times from the Once Like a Spark era onwards, fantastic live band and great guys to boot.

In terms of Les Savy Fav, they've not done anything for ages but if live shows pop up - go! Live, they're unlike anything else I've seen - you could get bizarre costumes, climbing on everything, songs performed from the gents toilets and all sorts inbetween. Go Forth and Let's Stay Friends are probably their best albums but they're all worth a look. Inches is probably a good starting point because it's a reverse chronology of a series of 7" singles they put out regularly from their beginning to about 2004.
I watched more than a few videos Les Savy Fav live on YouTube. They look amazing! Cheers for the recommendation on where to start.

I came across this old Kerrang article: shttps://www.kerrang.com/13-of-the-most-underrat ... of-the-00s
I know a few on there (Lawerence Arms, Get Up Kids), but some I do not. I will have fun checking them out. Are you familiar with any of them?
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
TransatlanticFoe

Oooh cheers, a few on there I don't know either and will probably have to have a look at!

One I do know that I'd 100% recommend is mclusky, specifically the one they've highlighted - Mclusky Do Dallas - as it's their best. Their first album has its moments but is largely a fuzzy Pixies imitation and not representative of their later stuff. Their third (and final) is a bit heavier and dirtier but definitely worth a listen because it feeds neatly into the frontman's follow-up band, Future of the Left - which is him, his wife (from their 3rd album) and the drummer from the final mclusky album. They've got 5 records - so if you like mclusky I'd recommend checking out Future of the Left's 3rd record, The Plot Against Common Sense, and taking it from there if you like it.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Oh I'm very familiar with mclusky and was talking about them on here a few pages back. Do Dalls is one of the best records of all time imo.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
TransatlanticFoe

Oh god I probably said the same thing back then :lol: New memories: unavailable. Lyrics to Alan is a Cowboy Killer: permanent!
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Slow Crush - Hush
Velveteen - Empty Crush
Blankenberge - Everything
motifs - remind a stranger
DIIV - Deceiver
No Vacation - Amo XO
Deafcult - Auras

Really loving Slow Crush a lot. Must try if you enjoy Slowdive.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

MOSQUITO FIGHTER wrote:Really loving Slow Crush a lot. Must try if you enjoy Slowdive.
Yeah, they're great. This highly-produced live performance got me into them. That said, I listened to the album you mentioned before and didn't really care for it compared to Aurora.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

My recent late-90s early-2000s UK post-hardcore listening expedition continues with Derby's Cable (being quite specific as there seems to be a few bands with this name.)

Cable's first album is Down-Lift The Up-Trodden, which I really liked. As seems par for the course with earlier albums of rock bands, it is a little more noisy than its successors. Seems to be quite the debate about whether this or their second is their best album. Blindman: https://youtu.be/I9rH7MaGNSM?t=24

I've had their sophomore album When Animals Attack on rotation for a decade+ and I still enjoy it's mix of grooves and repetitive lyrics. Some good instrument inter-play and with the drumming being a particular highlight. I think I became aware of them, as with many bands, through a Kerrang compilation album which featured the song Bluebirds Are Blue: https://youtu.be/Cx8DJyS6X4w
Also, through researching the band, I surprisingly found the song Freeze the Atlantic was used in a Sprite ad @.@ https://youtu.be/mioe-L21HLc

Their final album Sub-Lingual is not quite as strong as their previous efforts imo. This is the only album were the simple rhyming grates a little, but the album still has good tunes and is worth a listen. Honolulu: https://youtu.be/UDdKwhweQAM

I've also learned that after the first album the original drummer moved on to join the Northern-Irish group Therapy?, which seems a fitting segway into what I will listen to next. I do love it when that type of thing happens (similar to Jetplane Landing singing about Les Savy Flav.)
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Marc

Post by Marc »

Good to hear folk enjoying Jerplane and Cable, think irs time for ne to reacquaint myself as well, it's been a while. Indeed Mr Neil Cooper of Cable has now been drummer of Therapy? for..... around 20 years at a guess?
Saw the T? Boys on Thursday evening, playing some deeper cuts and tracks from their first two EP's, and they've just as much fire now as they've ever has. Probably the most consistently excellent live band in the UK - I've probably seen them 30+ times since my first in 1995.
Also playing a lot of Kerbdog in readiness for their small UK tour next year. Two stupidly under rated LP's back in the day.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Wow Kerbdog are back together?! They were great. I remember seeing them on the Late Late Show in Ireland and thinking they were gonna be huge. They then split up and Wilt was formed.

I'll have to get myself reacquainted.
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Marc

Post by Marc »

BurlyHeart wrote:Wow Kerbdog are back together?! They were great. I remember seeing them on the Late Late Show in Ireland and thinking they were gonna be huge. They then split up and Wilt was formed.

I'll have to get myself reacquainted.
More just on and off live gigs rather than a full reunion, got to see them in Manchester around four years ago, and I think I've missed a shorter tour between then and next year. They still sound bloody good.