shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:08 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1749 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59
 Post subject: Re: What are you currently listening to?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:37 pm 

I went through a Cure phase in HS that was so extreme (short stint of Robert Smith hairdo) that I actually kind of burned myself out on a lot of their material.

After all that, and returning to listen to their music many years later, I found that I now appreciate Head on the Door and Disintegration just as much (if not more) as I ever did. My favorite though, is and always will be Three Imaginary Boys.

drauch wrote:
I watch this a ton and wish I was there maaaan. A fun little time capsule.

My sister, who's 4 years older than me, actually got to go to the Disintegration tour show with her friends at Merriweather Post Pavilion. I was so jealous.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:45 pm 

* Am a girl ? Check
* Have a cristaline voice ? Check
* Can play guitar ? Frankly, no
* Can smile ? Check
* Can move my neck ? Check
* Gotta a nerd friend playing with electronic instruments ? Check.

Who is this ? Sofi Tukker ! Soothing music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZb1bEW3eZI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg3U4ak7IDA (kuddos to the camera guy on this one)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:53 pm 

vol.2 wrote:
My sister, who's 4 years older than me, actually got to go to the Disintegration tour show with her friends at Merriweather Post Pavilion. I was so jealous.

Very cool! I really need to revisit; been way too long! Have fond memories back in 2004 listening to that. Driving around on this old road in the darkness with all of us in silence as we blast that before we drop off our bud to move to a different state the next day. Of course he eventually came back and became an alcoholic piece of trash, but I've still got the nice memory!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:04 pm 

drauch wrote:

Very cool! I really need to revisit; been way too long! Have fond memories back in 2004 listening to that. Driving around on this old road in the darkness with all of us in silence as we blast that before we drop off our bud to move to a different state the next day. Of course he eventually came back and became an alcoholic piece of trash, but I've still got the nice memory!

Yikes!

I know how music can end up tied to specific memories like that. Especially something like the Cure that's inherently nostalgic; it's like tailor-made for evoking memories. For me, I see my sister dancing around the Christmas tree with our dog and the lights on the tree blinking, and I remember swimming practice and the way the music seemed to synchronize with my strokes (they let us play cassettes on a boombox during practice at the pool).

Suck about you buddy. :/

Regardless, Disintegration is totally worth a revisit. It's complex enough to get more and more interesting with repeated listening.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:13 pm 

Disintegration and Fantastic Planet are two albums that my former partner and I bonded over early in our relationship, so I can't help but think of her whenever I hear a piece from them. We each had our own copies, I wonder if I got the right CDs when we split up.

e: it's pretty ironic that those albums, which come from extremely dark places on the part of the musicians, remind me of experiencing love.
e2: the FP album I'm referring to is Failure's 3rd LP since apparently there's been multiple works named after the 70's French animated film

Last edited by OmegaFlareX on Wed Mar 17, 2021 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:57 am 

Fantastic Planet - as told some time ago, she wanted Smith himself to produce her album, but I think Ross Robinson did formidable enough job on the thing. (The opening voice sample came from the Fantastic Planet animated film's English-voiced trailer.) Alas, I've yet to find a CD featuring this extra. Speaking of which, Disintegration CD's all tracks listened to in a row had worn me out lately. All good stuff, just a bit much at once. On the other hand, It's All About by Spooky Tooth CD with all the extras is just what CD format is good for, a lot like Then Play On by Fleetwood Mac (Rhino Records Deluxe Edition, apparently there's also an LP version of it).

Fourth Symphony of Johannes Brahms recorded by NOSPR, Jerzy Semkow*) conducting. From the box I've mixed feelings about still, but "their" Fourth is "my" first Fourth on CD and as such - it works for me. As mentioned before - fabulous production values, if you're into that kind of thing.

*) Apparently labelled "Georg Semkov" in the US back when, whatever.

South of Heaven by Slayer, yeah, I'm pretty simple as that, sometimes. Much work from the guys, hard labour indeedy. Some sweet guitar tunes, very soulful. B.B. King would approve, I believe.

I deal in pain... yay! Exploding, reloading...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:12 am 

New vinyl pickups:

Quicksand: Tryptich Continuum EP - enjoyed the last album, a *gasp* non-embarrassing reunion, happy if this is more of the same
Boss Keloid: Herb Your Enthusiasm - UK stoner / doom / prog Mastodon-ish metal by an acquaintance of mine. Good stuff.
Criteria: En Guard - Ex-Cursive, still angular but bouncy post-rock with HUGE choruses
Blunt Razors: Early Aught - I buy anything with members of Planes Mistaken For Stars in the line-up
Wovenhand: The Laughing Stalk - see above, but I now adore this band/project in their own right.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:42 am 

Less soothing music : Spiritbox. Two live titles in the following video : Holly Roller and Rule of Nines.

Oh look ! The drummer is your little brother, and the vocalist is your dream girlfriend :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-tjkwZ32MA

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:39 am 

DJ Qbert - Origins

https://youtu.be/QN_LQAtM-T4

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1749 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 55, 56, 57, 58, 59