The News Thread

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

The News Thread

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

Satan
Banned User

Re: The News Thread

Post by Satan »

"A bleeding heart welcomes the sharks."
BIL

Post by BIL »

Last edited by BIL on Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

http://bluenationreview.com/oklahoma-mo ... verything/

Witness the power of STREET KNOWLEDGE
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

JNCO jeans are back. I'm definitely going to get a few pairs. So, comfortable.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/02/20/living/jn ... back-feat/
BIL

Post by BIL »

antron

Post by antron »

Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Man Threatens Suicide, Police Kill Him
Denise Way, Justin’s mom, said that the detective relayed to her that “they told Justin to drop the knife and he didn’t—so they shot him because that’s what we do.”
Stuff like that makes me want to never set foot in the US again.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Breaking news: Brave Leader Putin summons the spirits of Assange and Snowden to rally support behind daylight-hating FIFA vampires
Which one was his first choice? :o
Ruldra wrote:Man Threatens Suicide, Police Kill Him
Denise Way, Justin’s mom, said that the detective relayed to her that “they told Justin to drop the knife and he didn’t—so they shot him because that’s what we do.”
A handgun is less likely to kill you than a rifle, assuming it's not hitting the central nervous system. Boo for the police spokesman on that one.

Apparently this hinges on whether the guy was threatening the police - police say he was, family said he wasn't.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Ed Oscuro wrote:
Apparently this hinges on whether the guy was threatening the police - police say he was, family said he wasn't.
The finer details of his loved one's account notwithstanding, and considering the trigger happy track record of US police, I'm kind of willing to give the inebriated, horribly depressed guy with a kitchen knife the benefit of the doubt as a lesser threat to two trained officers with assault rifles.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

That's true, but in cases like this it's easy to see the typical storylines unfolding, even though we know that things might have gone somewhat differently in fact. I don't feel comfortable saying that I know something I don't. If there was a camera at the scene, though, we'd probably all have been talking about this from the day it happened.

I wouldn't expect this to be a sensible, justifiable killing, but there's a slight possibility it was (if very slight). As usual we only have the police vs. the family, also just as usual (at this point, the police talking points are completely canned and planned).

The citizen/police lines of respect is definitely nowhere near where they should be. Even if I don't know enough facts of any particular case, there are so many, and the details usually sound the same enough that it's hard not to believe that police should, in general, know much better - and they don't (or don't care). Good examples? Some police trainers have been caught out asserting the law gives them rights it doesn't, and of course there's also all the beatings and shootings. My "favorite" example really made me mad. One little-known loophole in the law is that if you gun down the police storming your house without warning - well, you're likely to be let off with justifiable homicide yourself. Anything less than a complete eradication of the opposing side in any minor conflict, and there's probably going to be some pain - either having a witness around to contradict you, if you're police, or being beaten to death if you're a private citizen not bending knee to random ugly strangers in street clothes.

Then there's the vast number of cases where it's clear to most people that police aren't justified, the shootings are usually called justifiable homicide anyway, and where all the statistics are going is another good question.

There is some progress though - the Justice Department has finally made it harder for highway patrols to run a racket of seizing and keeping "drug money" from traffic stops, which was being used to enrich departments at the expense of people carrying cash (typically poor people, typically minorities). That only took twenty years to fix. Justice also has clarified that you can't search a car without probable cause, so a routine traffic violation can't become an all-day affair while police search for something to justify the stop and pay.

One step forward, two steps back. It'd be funny if it wasn't sad, but Frank Serpico's still not welcome at the NYPD - even though that department appears pretty much cleaned up since the '70s and now does a much better job than other departments (killing people at 1/3 the rate in Los Angeles, according to that Huffington Post link). Stories about corrupt cops made for terrifying but exciting films, but there was also the expectation that going out of the way to shoot people would be a rare thing. In that very important area, policing competency is definitely backsliding. I don't know why this has happened - the 1986 Miami shootout certainly had something to do with it, and good thought-provoking training materials like How Close is Too Close? from 1983 seem to have been forgotten.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Ruldra wrote:Man Threatens Suicide, Police Kill Him
Theres been a few of these over the years. A suicidal kid was killed by police in Wal Mart parking lot in Kansas last year. That said, if that scares you, you should probably get out of Brazil while you're at it
Police in Brazil Killed 2,000+ in 2013
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Ha, was wondering about that - remember the bike thief shooting video? I think Ruldra posted that one. Different situation, though.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Acid King wrote:That said, if that scares you, you should probably get out of Brazil while you're at it
I probably would if I could, actually. Every single day you hear about a robbery or a murder over here. I do fear for my safety.

This was all over the news a couple weeks ago, by the way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBZ5mvfvMTM
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
antron

Post by antron »

BryanM

Post by BryanM »

BIL

Post by BIL »

Does this smell like ricin to you? Image

Never seen the charge "risking a catastrophe" before, sounds rad. Actually "Risk A Catastrophe" sounds like something the SST Band would play live.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

Haha. Excellent. Right in my backyard too.
Never seen the charge "risking a catastrophe" before, sounds rad. Actually "Risk A Catastrophe" sounds like something the SST Band would play live.
This reminds of the before time, in the long, long ago, when Bad Luck 13 had their annual Halloween Satanic Rave raided by the po-lice and hilarity ensued. "Charges include 'causing a catastrophe...'"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty3iD4cdqhA
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
antron

Post by antron »

Saw a headline:
Stephen hawking says starting a military AI race is a bad idea.

I hear his computer, reprogrammed as Mr. Mackey, saying "termanator's bad mmm'K, don't do terminator."
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

There's a conspiracy theory that the man's been dead for years and its his sentient chair trying to throw off suspicion.

It is cute of them to act like it shouldn't be done when its like screaming into the wind. AI promises unlimited ground control, and because it doesn't involve human life, it can be the luxury of non-lethal ground control with grip spiders or drugsquittos or what have you. There's no way that we don't pursue it.
antron

Post by antron »

I agree. I'm just hoping that it can have some upsides, like shooting less children.

If we slaughter some ill prepared land we will be struggling for their understanding for generations.
Satan
Banned User

Post by Satan »

In Britain we have two media Muppets. Russell Brand representing the "far left" and this daft cunt is the "far right."
Katie Hopkins proposes euthanasia vans as UK has 'far too many old people.'
"A bleeding heart welcomes the sharks."
DEL

Post by DEL »

This thread's got quite some potential.
That Katie Hopkins pic doesn't look female, so I did a quick search.
http://images.dailystar.co.uk/dynamic/1 ... 258607.jpg
No hips and heavy facial features, but I'm sure she's female :lol: :|
Quote: " most people are unaware that she once backed the UK's first transgender MEP."
BIL

Post by BIL »

Tianjin port explosion in China recorded from unfortunately lethal proximity. Saw it in a news collage, was wondering how the footage was recovered... apparently the mobile streaming app stops uploading to server when the button is released. :[ #BIRUasickfuck #hego2hellsoudont

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i6L_mbaDvU

Reminds me of this from a few years back (non-lethal, probably some nasty hearing damage though). There's a lot of Tianjin footage taken from apartments where the recorders get caught off-guard, too, including at least one window implosion. Explosions some scary shit IRL.
Last edited by BIL on Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

BIL wrote:Tianjin port explosion in China recorded from unfortunately lethal proximity. Saw it in a news collage, was wondering how the footage was recovered... apparently the mobile streaming app stops uploading to server when the button is released. :[ #BIRUasickfuck #hego2hellsoudont

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMAVRl_ ... e=youtu.be

Reminds me of this from a few years back (non-lethal, probably some nasty hearing damage though). There's a lot of Tianjin footage taken from apartments where the recorders get caught off-guard, too, including at least one window implosion. Explosions some scary shit IRL.
Also this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOa5J-V0viU
BIL

Post by BIL »

God damn. Windows totally aren't your buds during apocalyptic explosions. Indeed they'll rope you in before things really kick off!
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Goddamn, though, that first explosion is like it's got some summer movie effects. There's that good period of time at the end where you can see the boards of the fence being ripped up while the phone is still being held steady, but then the shockwave hits and there's apparently some huge stuff coming.

Feels like Strange Days snuff films in real life. RIP good knight!
BIL

Post by BIL »

Jebus fuck + headphones warning @ high altitude view (+ summer movie dialogue)

Never complaining about living in a crummy fishing village again.
Last edited by BIL on Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.