Fighting Game Hype Thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
iconoclast

Re: Fighting Game Hype Thread

Post by iconoclast »

Stevens wrote:Still curious to see how season two is going to turn out.
Topanga League is starting on February 10th (free to watch on OPENREC), so that should be a good preview of what's to come. There's some nice character diversity in the lineup too:
Spoiler
A Block
GO1 (Chun Li)
Tokido (Akuma)
Haku (Dictator)
Nemo (Urien)
Haitani (Necalli)
Daigo (Ryu)
Kazunoko (Cammy)

B Block
Nuki (Chun Li)
Momochi (Ken)
galtu (Dictator)
Inaba (Urien)
Gachikun (Rashid)
Itabashi Zangief (Zangief)
Bonchan (Nash)

C Block
MOV (Chun Li)
Eita (Ken)
sako (Akuma)
YHC-mochi (Dhalsim)
StormKUBO (Alex)
Mago (Karin)
Fuudo (R.Mika)
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

Do people still care about SFV? Last I read, Season 2 was a major flop sales-wise and SFV as a whole hasn't done well at all.
https://www.videogamer.com/news/street- ... -to-a-halt

People rag on SF4 but it was generally more accepted than SFV, so clearly they did something wrong with this version.
http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html
3.4M for Vanilla
1.9M for super
1.1M for ae
1.0 for ultra

Capcom really shat the bed with this version, promising a more "honest" fighter when the game has turned out to be a 50/50 wake-up game.

I'm curious how bad USF2 is going to turn out because I've lost all faith in Capcom now-a-days.
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

SF4 was huge because the series was dormant for so long, and the way they brought it back made it appealing to the SF2 nostalgics. Notice the huge drop from SF4 to Super, and then another big drop for AE. The 1 to 1.5 million people who stuck around are their base. It's true that SFV failed to bring people back though. They should have let USF4 live for another year, but they rushed out an unfinished game for esports, and they paid for it.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm on the fence on SFV. Is it worth picking up?
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Depends what you're looking for. It's light on single player content, and most of what it does have is pretty bad. The biggest and I guess best thing is its cinematic story mode, but I think it only takes a few hours to finish (I never played it). After that, all that's left are combo challenges and survival mode, which I doubt anybody likes. If you just want to play against other people though, it's a great game.
Doctor Butler

Post by Doctor Butler »

BrianC wrote:I'm on the fence on SFV. Is it worth picking up?
Yes. There's better games, like KoFXIV and XrdRev., but SFV is going to be relevant for a long time, both online, and competitively.

It's also pretty good.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

iconoclast wrote:Depends what you're looking for. It's light on single player content, and most of what it does have is pretty bad. The biggest and I guess best thing is its cinematic story mode, but I think it only takes a few hours to finish (I never played it). After that, all that's left are combo challenges and survival mode, which I doubt anybody likes. If you just want to play against other people though, it's a great game.
So the SP is still lacking? That's a bummer. I find it interesting that GG Xrd Revelator (which I have and like quite a bit so far) has both a story mode that is way more literal than usual and an episode mode that is much closer to what is usually called story mode.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

Anybody watched some Topangua League (season 6) so far?
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

I've watched all of it so far. Day 3 had the best matches, I think. Momochi vs galtu has probably been my favorite set.
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

iconoclast wrote:I've watched all of it so far. Day 3 had the best matches, I think. Momochi vs galtu has probably been my favorite set.
I've watched a couple but I can't find them all on youtube. Where did you watch them? I can't catch them all live, so I need a site that's not a live stream. and that has them all, if possible

EDIT : found it. It's on OpenRec.tv
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
juji82

Unholy Night SNES Fighting Game

Post by juji82 »

Finally new informations and kickstarter campaign for this fighting game from ex snk developers!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/12 ... -cartridge
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

BrianC wrote:
iconoclast wrote:Depends what you're looking for. It's light on single player content, and most of what it does have is pretty bad. The biggest and I guess best thing is its cinematic story mode, but I think it only takes a few hours to finish (I never played it). After that, all that's left are combo challenges and survival mode, which I doubt anybody likes. If you just want to play against other people though, it's a great game.
So the SP is still lacking? That's a bummer. I find it interesting that GG Xrd Revelator (which I have and like quite a bit so far) has both a story mode that is way more literal than usual and an episode mode that is much closer to what is usually called story mode.
I'm hoping they do add arcade mode. It's not right to not have it especially when KOF XIV (and all other SNK fighters), GG Xrd Sign/Revelator, MK, and MKX have it. In fact I think SF V is the only fighter ever to lack one.

Hopefully they don't cop out and make the boss some powered-up Akuma. It's a new SF so a new character should be the boss. Bonus stages would be nice- I'd bring back the falling barrels round with a few tweaks, having some barrels be red and breakable with special moves only. A gold barrel could require a Super to take out.

A PC version of USF 2 later on would be good. Exclusivity is probably limited.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

New stuff coming to KoF 14.
Axelay

Post by Axelay »

Awesome news very hyped for the new stages. The rumour of it been 4 new characters is interesting .
Anyone on the forum active on kof XIV ?
Netcode is fine for me I'm from the uk please feel free to add me for some games
xALIENSOLDIERx
Arms installation complete Good luck
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

I've always had a lot of appreciation for Nakamu Honda but his performance at the latest Space Shuttle was simply beast-mode :shock:
Spoiler
KAI

Post by KAI »

Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Will there be online match making? Bought the PS3 version ages ago and the promise to implement netplay never happened.

Article doesn't go into detail about it either... though I did read there was a possibility of online match making on the PS4 version?
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

I already own the JP version of the PS4 update, and yes, there's online matchmaking.

Awesome game too. One of my favorite (relatively) recent releases.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Word on the street is that players want to go back to Ultra SF 4?
My lord, I have come for you.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Squire Grooktook wrote:I already own the JP version of the PS4 update, and yes, there's online matchmaking.

Awesome game too. One of my favorite (relatively) recent releases.
Sweet
The only issue I had with the game was I had no one to play with
Other than that the game just feels very easy to pick up and play
PowerofElsydeon

Post by PowerofElsydeon »

Hello I'm confused and I tried asking it on another thread I didn't get the answers I was lookin for cuz' I was going off topic
Here it is
And I have just one more doubt about Gaming Philosophy and then I can become an adult

And that is 1on1 games
Wich includes
Figthing games (and offshoots like Virtual On;the Aki Wrasslin Games and SSMB I guess)
Twisted Metal
Puzzle Figther,Puyo Puyo and Twinkle Star Sprites
NBA JAM,Pong and a ton of Arcade Sports Games
Two questions

What's the point of takin' em seriously when I'm on my own
I mean I'm prolly the only person whom takes Puyo Puyo seriously on my crappy land
Is there any real point in figthing the cpu if they say playin' against a friend is the real deal on theese kinds of Games
Or maybe real achievements have nothin' to do with that and 1ccing this beast is a real achievement

And with Blades of Steel for Gameboy
I kicked the cpu's ass on hardest mode on my second day
(I'm sure if I had a pal that would be the real challenge)
So...what's the point?
None will play it with me seriously and the A.I. sucks.

So how much is worth a multiplayer Game on single player mode?

And the second question was:

Should I ever forgive figthing Games for their rigid as hell combos and stuff?

I mean Shmups and Pinball have a very strict scoring system...but perhaps that's the way it's meant to be
But these guys have thoose wicked cheat codes that are hard to forgive

And that's not all
I gave Virtua Fighther 2 a chance
It seems that the key to real sucess not only involves thoose button kinks that I can't stand
It involves knowing the moveset of every character in the Game to come up with a very complex strategy like how to block the opponent's moves (every single one of them)
Am I stereotizing the fighing Games a lot by just mentioning Virtua Figther?

And will you pls explain me how do you guys overcome this darxide of the figthing genre?
pls help me out with it if you don't mind
FinalBaton

Post by FinalBaton »

I have a little advice for you POE, if you don't mind :mrgreen:

I suggest that you stop trying to determine which game genres you should consider cool, and which you should consider not cool(your "Gaming Philosophy and then I can become an adult" comment hinted at you behaving this way. Not saying it is the case, but I feel like maybe it is, so I decided to give my advice just in case).

This is WAY too cerebral of an approach. Just play the genres that you enjoy and that's it.

There is no "ultimate taste in game". And you definitely shouldn't be asking other people what genres to play, in my opinion :o

You also can't force yourself to "like" a genre that you just don't enjoy... even if it's well regarded on here or elsewhere. Who cares if you don't like that genre? I suggest that you do not put your time into it if you don'nt like it! Just be yourself, don't try to "be cool" (trying to "be cool" is actually uncool :mrgreen: you know how that works, hehe).

That's it, just wanted to give a little life advice :wink: Now you're more than welcome to discuss genre, and ask what people like about them! just don't try to force yourself into liking genres that don't appeal to you, just because some people on here like them :P
Last edited by FinalBaton on Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:00 pm, edited 5 times in total.
-FM Synth & Black Metal-
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Games are meant to be fun
That can come in the form of
1v1 or multiplayer competition against an ai or real person
Deep complicated combo or scoring systems etc

People may find these challenges of learning complicated systems satisfying

At the end if the day its you that decide what is fun or not
If I'm not having fun playing a game I just don't play it or I find a way to have fun with it
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

It was fun introducing the Japanese ace of the mahjong dojo to Don's Arcade https://www.facebook.com/groups/619052738200755/

He sure got some good ST competition. It was also fun playing him in SFV. We talked about playing Daigo and Bonchan in a mahjong hanchan.

I had a streak with Dan, even beating the Cody who was streaking before me. I was even more surprised than the people I beat. "Good...games?" We were all shook by the power of the Saikyo Style!
I'm lovin' SFV. I'm goin' to EVO!!! I just wish Dan was in it.

Final Round was super intense. Dat popoff by K-Brad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oueb9Yv13lc From Smug's angle: https://www.eventhubs.com/images/2017/m ... s-version/
For me what was really hype about K-Brad's popoff was he didn't say much (or anything?). He just stared into Wolfkrone's eyes. Just staring. Mad soulgaze action.

"Tell him about himself! Tell him about himself!" - Tasty Steve

F
KAI

Post by KAI »

Kickstarter to port Arcana Heart Six Stars. And I always thought Examu was a serious company.
http://gematsu.com/2017/03/examu-launch ... x-stars-pc
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
PowerofElsydeon

I wasn't fooling myself
And I greatly appreciate the fun factor in figthing Games(we're talkin about arcades after all) it's the wicked combos that make me confused
So can you pls answer my both dilemmas so I may rest in peace?

Games are meant to be fun
That can come in the form of
1v1 or multiplayer competition against an ai or real person
Deep complicated combo or scoring systems etc

You were totally rigth when you said that
I must admiss I'm not championship material at either one of thoose
perhaps I'm better at the kind of Games where survival is the key and the scoring system isn't too complicated
Like Detana Twinbee and Pinball Revenge of the Gator(A Gameboy Pinball that is like the Pinball Experience minus the deep scoring system and the nudging)
I don't know how you guys don't take classics like Space Invaders seriously like surviving for 3 hours is an incredible achievement
So what's the need for a scoring system(beyond the mothership) when surviving is this complex

and btw I'm giving Virtual On and Samurai Showdown a try sometime since they lack complex combos and look hardcore
BIL

Post by BIL »

PowerofElsydeon wrote:I don't know how you guys don't take classics like Space Invaders seriously like surviving for 3 hours is an incredible achievement
I'm pretty sure this community has plenty of respect for older arcade games. I don't know about Space Invaders itself, but I've seen plenty of reverence for stuff like Asteroids.

With regards to marathon endurance, though - I prefer older games with a definite "end," like Donkey Kong and its kill screen. Again, I don't know Space Invaders well enough to comment, but endless stuff like Asteroids eventually comes down to the most primal physiology. There's a thread in the main chat forum about a world record run, where the guy used his extra lives to leave the machine for a quick toilet break. I don't think I need to imply any more about the direction that sort of competition might take. :lol:
PowerofElsydeon

It's true vintage Games are respected around here it's just that they're not as respected as let's say Dodonpachi or R-Type

I know what you mean but
That's a crazy marathon to be crowned the best in the world no one needs to go that far
That's why said surviving for 3 hours more than enough to be a true badass
btw Crazy Taxi doesn't have a real end techniquely but I heard the world record was about 2 hours and a half so give that one a chance
Leandro

Post by Leandro »

Just tried Street Fighter V for free for some time yesterday, I liked it a lot. My tick throw game with Zangief worked really well in this one, got to line up a few heads on this beta